Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 22
Re: OT: Roger Waters 2017
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 23, 2017 02:17

One thing for sure he sure knows how to get us all talking just like the one he loathes (Trump) ...so draw your own conclusion...so, is he really any different? Welcome to the show that never ends...HISTORY

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 23, 2017 02:53

shadooby
One thing for sure he sure knows how to get us all talking just like the one he loathes (Trump) ...so draw your own conclusion...so, is he really any different? Welcome to the show that never ends...HISTORY

Doesn't end with Trump by a long shot. Lucky for him Hilary lost, otherwise no pig.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 23, 2017 04:18

microvibe
how upset would people be if that obama on that pig?just asking

The mainstream media would would crucify him , call him an angry old racist white guy whether he was or not.

I don't care how out spoken Roger Waters is , even if he hated Obama and disagreed with every single thing he ever did or said. He would not have to balls to put Obama on that pig. NFW I would bet my house on it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 23, 2017 04:51

bleedingman
shadooby

Doesn't end with Trump by a long shot. Lucky for him Hilary lost, otherwise no pig.

I've been wondering...had Hillary won, would she have been placed on the pig? He's said in a recent interview (around the election I think)that he doesn't like her either.
Maybe not as much as he hates Trump, but he completely discredited her.

And what would Roger have done with all the Trump mocking video footage during the song Pigs if Trump had lost (not to mention the pig itself)? While relevant pre-election, it would have been senseless to show all that during the new tour. And because all of it was ready to go for the new tour, something tells me Roger might have been somewhat happy that he didn't have to re-invent that portion of the show. Anyhow 'Trump the pig' rolls off the tongue pretty well, and interesting to see him mocked in such a huge public fashion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 04:55 by Hairball.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 23, 2017 13:06

Well for all the Hillary haters and bashers ,think about this it is because she is a Woman .That's it in a nutshell .A strong woman in a male dominated society that is vilified and crucified because she is a Woman .Hope you all are happy with Crusty the clown .

Date: June 23, 2017 20:59

Review of the Las Vegas show:

Roger Waters melds classic rock, modern concerns

Roger Waters Las Vegas
By Mike Weatherford Las Vegas Review-Journal
June 18, 2017 - 9:09 am

The tour is called “Us + Them” for reasons made very clear. But Roger Waters’ tour stop Friday at T-Mobile Arena also seemed at times to alternate between “us” and “him.”

The co-founder of Pink Floyd is the last person keeping some of rock’s most cherished music alive on a grand scale. Ex-Floyd partner David Gilmour’s last tour was almost living-room scale compared to this barrage of IMAX-size video, chest-rattling surround sound, laser pyramids and floating pigs.

Waters seems to realize an album as iconic as “Dark Side of the Moon” belongs to all of us. So he played nearly all of it, even though Floyd was more of a musical democracy back then, before Waters came to dominate on “The Wall.”

And the final song was “Comfortably Numb,” one of that album’s few songs where Gilmour got a writing credit and equal voice. Waters let singer-guitarist Jonathan Wilson take over Gilmour’s lines, becoming a fan himself as he stood on the edge of the massive stage, mouthing the lyrics and gesturing for us to sing along.

But other songs were for “him.” Well, they were really for us too, but how can we have any pudding if we don’t eat our meat?

The song “Us and Them,” for instance, began with the classic Floyd video that’s always accompanied it: office drones on a city sidewalk, marching along in their humdrum lives.

But then it changed to images more in line with the evening’s overarching themes: a refugee child’s face; people in the streets with protest signs: “Love is love,” “Black lives matter,” “Climate change is real.” Not this time will we drift into a meditation on our inner struggles, when there’s so much outer turmoil.

Waters also hit hard with video showing a mother and daughter separated in “The Last Refugee,” from his new album, “Is This the Life We Really Want?”

The second set of a three-hour evening divided the arena with a wall of video screens materializing above the floor. All the more projection surface for the blistering one-two “Animals” punch of “Dogs” and “Pigs (Three Different Ones),” the latter devoted almost entirely to cartoonish images of President Donald Trump.

A final screen crawl, “Trump is a pig,” made sure no one will accuse Waters of being vague or subtle.

The new “Smell the Roses” — with its bleak imagery (“There’s nothing but screams in the field of dreams”) — was another “him” song.

But musically, “Smell the Roses” and another new one, “Picture That,” were throwbacks to the hypnotic, psychedelic boogie of “One of These Days,” the 1971 instrumental that was the oldest song in the set list.

What better way to draw the line from ’60s concerns to modern ones? Well, there was that dance line of local youngsters, closing out the first set with “Another Brick in the Wall,” and shedding their coveralls to reveal T-shirts emblazoned with “Resist.”

But the 73-year-old curmudgeon sounded quite warm at the end, telling us “There’s a lot of love in this room. Don’t think we can’t feel it, because we can.”

And the final image on the giant video screen after the lights came up and the band left the stage? The mother and daughter reunited on the beach. Hope springs as eternal as Waters’ career.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 24, 2017 18:26

bleedingman
shadooby

Waters IS a racist and antisemetic

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 24, 2017 21:02

TheGreek
Well for all the Hillary haters and bashers ,think about this it is because she is a Woman .That's it in a nutshell .A strong woman in a male dominated society that is vilified and crucified because she is a Woman .Hope you all are happy with Crusty the clown .

I know it's become popular to think that, but these same folks loved Sarah Palin. It's not about being a woman, it's the divide between conservative and liberal ideology in the US. They hated Bill Clinton for eight years who was neither black nor female. Those that hate Donald Trump don't hate him because he's a rich white man. They hate him for what he stands for or says and does. So it is in the endless game of partisanship that has taken over in the US. It has been and will remain a nation divided until the two-party system falls.

Date: June 24, 2017 21:17

Forgot to mention I saw former NBA star and UCLA alum/legend Bill Walton after the show the other night. smiling smiley

Another positive review from Uproxx.

On Tour At 73, Roger Waters Is Brazen, Political And Emotional — He’s Prog Rock’s Last Punk
Daniel Ralston 06.23.17

"A fierce examination of the big picture is rare for a rockstar of Waters’ stature;
he’s the only guy left from the first wave of “dinosaur” rock bands who still fights
with the fire and passion of a teenage anarchist in a Dead Kennedys shirt".

Roger Waters- L.A. Staples Center

Back in 2013, I ended up at my first Roger Waters show after a good friend of mine asked me to go see the Pink Floyd co-founder perform in a football stadium in Philadelphia. Though at the time I would’ve described myself as only a casual Pink Floyd fan — so much so, that I remember specifically thinking that I didn’t even know which songs were on The Wall except for “Another Brick in the Wall” and “Comfortably Numb” — I like those songs, and my friend paid for the ticket, so I went. But attending that show turned me into a rabid Roger Waters fan.

On that tour, Waters was playing the The Wall his former band Pink Floyd’s monumental tour de force, and the fourth highest-selling album of all-time. The moment it changed for me came mid-show, when, after openly weeping in the middle of Citizens Bank Park during “Goodbye Blue Sky,” a song I’d never heard before that day, I looked around and noticed a large percentage of the other 50,000+ people in the stadium were weeping too. The Wall and its message of self-reclamation from the forces of evil continue to resonate deeply with a huge number of people even thirty-five years after its release — enough people to fill a baseball stadium.

Waters opened The Wall show the same way the album starts, a Nazi-like figurehead taunts the audience with a chilling opening line, “So you thought you might like to go to the show?” After that, he crashed a plane into the 400-foot wall on stage. The tickets were probably very expensive; the show was very much a spectacle. But there was more theatrics and political statements afoot than just what he did onstage. One of the first thing I noticed upon entering the stadium that night is that many of the advertisements, which usually dominate the field of vision in the ballpark, were covered in black cloth. It was Roger Waters’ stadium for the night.

If you haven’t kept up with the world of Pink Floyd over the past three decades, you may not know that Roger Waters and co-bandleader David Gilmour hate each other. Apart from the occasional cancer benefit or Live 8-style event a full-scale Pink Floyd reunion is unlikely. And, if you haven’t kept up with Roger Waters’ solo career, he mounts over-the-top audio/visual versions of Pink Floyd albums like The Wall and a similarly sensory overloaded version of Dark Side Of The Moon anyway.

While he may be repackaging old material, Waters has doubled down on every single left-leaning anarchist political belief that ever seeped its way into a Pink Floyd song. The performance of “Goodbye Blue Sky” back in ‘13 featured bomber planes on a giant LED screen dropping McDonald’s logos, Stars of David, Crucifixes and Shell Oil logos from bomber planes. To recap: Roger Waters played a song about the world ending due to war and environmental despair while a bomber plane dropped bomb/crucifixes in front of 50,000 people in a in Philly stadium and made everyone weep. Roger Waters doesn’t f*ck around.

So, while the Staples Center in Los Angeles is smaller than a baseball stadium, Roger Waters doesn’t do anything small. In fact, as he sprang onstage at Staples earlier this week, for a special, newly-added show, he was looking pretty damn good for 73 years old. He’s still rangy and dignified, with the broad chest of a young Kirk Douglas.

The show opened with Waters and his nine-piece band tearing into a string of Pink Floyd hits (“Breathe,” “One Of These Days,” and “Time”). The first half highlight was “Great Gig In The Sky” with Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig of the band Lucius, a young duo who play a surprisingly large part in a show featuring mostly Pink Floyd songs. While Lucius may bring a youthful spark, the rest of the band was filled with competent hired guns, including REM and Beck drummer Joey Waronker.

There was a sense that the first half of the show was for the casual fans. “Wish You Were Here” floated by with lighters raised in the air. Towering above the crowd, former NBA great and Deadhead Bill Walton openly jammed out to “Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 3” from his floor seats. The people who saw Pink Floyd back in 1979 are happy.

Then, came a twenty minute intermission.

With the fluff out of the way, Waters used the second half of the show to dig into Pink Floyd’s catalog and play some of the band’s darker and more obscure songs. He also lowered two giant video screens that ran perpendicular to the stage, topped with recreations of the Battersea Power Plant smokestacks that grace the cover of the band’s album Animals. If this sounds a little “musical theater,” it was.

The second set opened with “Dogs,” a 17-minute song off Animals, and during the synthesizer solo, a waiter dressed in a pig’s mask came onstage and set a table. Waters and a few of his bandmates then also donned pigs masks and sat at the table drinking champagne, while the keyboardist wailed away. That spectacle lasted for a solid four minutes straight. It drew a line for the audience, almost daring them to bail on the second half of the show.

Those who stayed through the pig dinner were treated to three straight politically-oriented songs, “Pigs (Three Different Ones)”, “Money” and “Us And Them,” all featuring anti-Trump videos that ranged from the poignant (Images of Black Lives Matter protestors) to the obvious (Trump dressed as a baby.) It’s important to remember that Waters plays the same show every night on this tour, so while the anti-Trump rhetoric felt relatively safe in Los Angeles, that can’t possibly fly as well in other American cities.

A fierce examination of the big picture is rare for a rockstar of Waters’ stature; he’s the only guy left from the first wave of “dinosaur” rock bands who still fights with the fire and passion of a teenage anarchist in a Dead Kennedys shirt. He will talk to 50,000 people about police brutality like he did in Philly in ‘13. He will force a stadium full of people to look at photos of atrocities of war. We live in an era when, apart from rare outlier like the agit-punks Downtown Boys, openly caring about the world around you in your music is deeply uncool. Roger Waters does not give a f*ck.

Spectacle plays a huge role in delivering his message, and for decades, Pink Floyd/Waters have flown “Algie,” a giant inflatable pig around whatever venue they’ve played. Algie made an appearance at Staples Center too, flying by remote control into the rafters and down just out of the audience’s reach. Later, Waters floated a silver reflective orb around the audience in a similar manner; it nestled itself behind the band as a giant laser pyramid appeared above the crowd. Streaks of colored light began to stream down from the top of the pyramid, creating a live 3D version of the cover of Dark Side Of The Moon. It’s U2-level over the the top. And like U2, it’s a joy watching a rockstar put on a show befitting the title.

Where Waters sets himself apart from his classic rock peers and the punks of the past is that he recognized — even back in the ’70s — that personal pain is the reason for all the war, hate and atrocities in the world, and he wisely ended the Staples Center show with a three-song set from The Wall that relied more heavily on emotional appeal. With his band silent, Waters and the ladies from Lucius took the spotlight to sing “Vera,” a song that end on the question “Does anybody in here feel the way I do?” As “Vera” fades, “Bring The Boys Back Home,” a brief song about the senselessness of battle and the young lives lost to the war machine, swept across the crowd in tearful waves.

For the final song, the band reemerged and two giant hands appeared on the video screen behind them. The hands slowly grasp each other as “Comfortably Numb” — with its two perfect guitar solos and lyrics about childhood feelings that we can’t reclaim — crept along through the first hazy verse. The two hands joined and the screen erupted in a sea of colors and bricks falling away. The veil was lifted. As the first solo hit, it’s obvious why Roger Waters has been filling stadiums for almost 50 years. By the time the second solo hits, so does the strange euphoria that comes with throwing your hands in the air and singing along to a perfect song with thousands of other strangers.

Set 1:
“Breathe”
“One Of These Days”
“Time”
“Breathe (Reprise)”
“The Great Gig In The Sky”
“Welcome To The Machine”
“When We Were Young”
“Déjà Vu”
“The Last Refugee”
“Picture That”
“Wish You Were Here”
“The Happiest Days Of Our Lives”
“Another Brick In The Wall Part 2”
“Another Brick In The Wall Part 3”

Set 2:
“Dogs”
“Pigs (Three Different Ones)”
“Money”
“Us And Them”
“Is This the Life We Really Want?”
“Smell The Roses”
“Brain Damage”
“Eclipse”
“Vera”
“Bring The Boys Back Home”
“Comfortably Numb”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 21:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: June 27, 2017 19:33

RW is kind of a bore!!

Date: June 27, 2017 22:12

Ronnie Wood? Well, maybe NOT FOR BEGINNERS. I'll give you that one.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 28, 2017 01:04

Personaly, I think it rude of Rodger to subject his audience to his political
beliefs - especially in the manner he does. I'm not a Trump supporter at all but recognize others are supporters. I would guess at least 30 to 40% of his audience are Trump supporters which, to me, seems like alot of people to offend night
after night across the country.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 28, 2017 02:29

Hairball
bleedingman
shadooby

I've been wondering...had Hillary won, would she have been placed on the pig? He's said in a recent interview (around the election I think)that he doesn't like her either.

And what would Roger have done with all the Trump mocking video footage during the song Pigs if Trump had lost (not to mention the pig itself)? While relevant pre-election, it would have been senseless to show all that during the new tour. And because all of it was ready to go for the new tour, something tells me Roger might have been somewhat happy that he didn't have to re-invent that portion of the show. Anyhow 'Trump the pig' rolls off the tongue pretty well, and interesting to see him mocked in such a huge public fashion.

He should've just shown them both then!

Wonder who he likes?? I guess Bernie.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 28, 2017 03:13

One thing he doesn't like is artistic timelessness.

That's the trouble with associating yourself with topical, and therefore disposable, media figures and issues -- it makes you as dated as the weekly newspaper.

Hope he won't go to the trouble of selling DVDs of this tour -- they'll have a pretty short shelf-life.

If you don't like the news, just tune yourself out -- and create a world of your own. That's what art is for, creating alternate realities.

And, like the old saying goes, "If you have a message, call Western Union."

Otherwise, that looks like a great song list. But, I don't need to pay hundreds of dollars to watch the news -- I can stay home and do that for free.

Date: June 28, 2017 03:29

Hairball
Forgot to mention I saw former NBA star and UCLA alum/legend Bill Walton after the show the other night. smiling smiley

Had I been there, I'd have been stuck behind him, guaranteed. No worries, zero interest in pontificating at this point. Happy for those that participate and enjoy.

Date: June 28, 2017 04:21

If this was 1980, I would agree that being so overtly political seems like artistic misdirection at best. Since THE FINAL CUT though, Waters has been a consistently political artist. Time has not mellowed him in the slightest. His hard line approach to his fellow artists performing in Israel is the perfect example. For me, it's easy. I just get the concert DVD and skip the songs or bits I'm not interested in and watch the bits I want to enjoy. There's very little point in being offended or ticked off at Roger Waters for being exactly who he's been for the past 35 years. If your views of politicians are so strong you probably shouldn't be a fan of the band who turned out "Sweet Neo Con" a dozen years ago as there will likely be more of the same on the new album.

Date: June 28, 2017 10:07

That's right Rocky, and the fact is the entire show is not about "politics".
It's mostly about the trials and tribulations of humanity and the human condition in general - as seen through the eyes and life experience of Roger Waters - accomplished in an artistic way. In addition to that though, there's all of the special effects (visually and sonically), some of which are simply eye candy - huge flashing colorful abstractions that melt from one image to the next - be it band members or pleasant images of nature. Quadrophonic sound from dialogue, birds, horns, etc. surround the arena in a disorienting way. As for the the Trump razamataz, it went over so well at these L.A. shows (Vegas as well), it was literally like an anti-Trump rally for that 20 minute portion of the show. Yes L.A. is liberal generally speaking, but I didn't see one person look dismayed anywhere near where I was sitting - only lots of hooting and hollering. Roger might have some trouble in more conservative settings, but he's already played at Kansas City, Tulsa, etc. without any controversy in the same way that misguided comedienne caused recently by holding up the "head" of Trump. I forget her name (Kathy Griffith?), but the backlash for what she did has been severe as far as her career is concerned. And even Johnny "dipshit" Depp haha was in the news recently for some idiotic crap he said (something about assassination)..what a fool! So far, Roger Waters is sailing smoothly through the country blasting out all of his frustrations and concerns through his ART, and he's doing it in a mature artistic way without any fuss or commotion.

Here's some pics I took from the June 20th show at Staples Center:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-28 10:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: June 28, 2017 10:20

Fantastic pictures, Hairball!
Personally I understand Waters need to express what he stands for, even if at times it can get a bit non subtle. Its the music and the show that interests me the most, so really can't wait until september to see the man in Boston!

Date: June 28, 2017 10:32

Thanks calipachangero - and you are going to LOVE it !!!
I've just seen my fourth and final show of the tour, and each one became better than the previous one. There's so much to absorb and digest, and something new to experience each show. Not to mention the kick ass band and the amazing setlist. Noticed a few subtle changes already in the presentation, as he's always working to perfect the show itself. The guitar players he has are phenomenal, as well as the rest of the band - all top notch musicians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-28 10:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 28, 2017 13:08

Nice pics, Hairball!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 28, 2017 15:27

Hairball
bleedingman
shadooby

I hate it when people say, "...well, but I didn't like her either!"

So what? You're not marrying this person...you're choosing a leader for the next four years. There is no equivalence between a flawed but competent technocrat (who just happened to be a woman) and an unstable, syphilitic psychopath. Oh...her e-mails, right? How insignificant does that non-scandal look now?

But hey, at least an old, bloated white guy is President again...Republicans can finally sleep soundly after eight years of having one of "those people" in their White House.

I hope he keeps chowing down on the fast food. Nothing would make me happier than to see that fat, evil sonofabitch's black heart pop like a tick on a dog's ass. I'd piss on his grave if I could.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 28, 2017 18:23

keefriff99
Hairball
bleedingman
shadooby

So what? You're not marrying this person...you're choosing a leader for the next four years. There is no equivalence between a flawed but competent technocrat (who just happened to be a woman) and an unstable, syphilitic psychopath. Oh...her e-mails, right? How insignificant does that non-scandal look now?

But hey, at least an old, bloated white guy is President again...Republicans can finally sleep soundly after eight years of having one of "those people" in their White House.

I hope he keeps chowing down on the fast food. Nothing would make me happier than to see that fat, evil sonofabitch's black heart pop like a tick on a dog's ass. I'd piss on his grave if I could.
You are a good man and very wise .

Date: June 28, 2017 19:55

While Roger Waters does live in the U.S., he does not have US citizenship.
And while he was a strong supporter of Bernie Sanders, because he doesn't have citizenship he couldn't vote no matter who the final two candidates were - be it Trump or Clinton. To paraphrase the concept and theme of his new album and tour: "Love and unity over hatred and division" which might sound a bit contradictory given the skewering of Trump, etc., but not all Art is perfect, and his agenda is certainly open to criticism.

Here's a review from the Orange County Register of the June 20th show at Staples Center:

Roger Waters delivers music that matters with a mix of Pink Floyd and solo songs in L.A. on Tuesday

Roger Waters delivers music that matters

There’s so much to take in from a concert like the one staged by Roger Waters, the legendary Pink Floyd singer and bassist, at Staples Center on Tuesday, but let’s start near the finish with “Us and Them,” a track off the iconic album “Dark Side Of The Moon” and the song that that provided the name for the 73-year-old Englishman’s current Us + Them tour.

Musically it rests on the dreamier side of Waters’ and the Floyd’s sound, a gentle sonic wave that evokes a feeling of floating through space as the song unfolds. Lyrically it hits on the themes that have been his focus — you might say obsession — for most of his career: The cruelty of war, the danger of authoritarianism, the numbness of everyday living, the need to wake up and love one another, to find empathy for the suffering, be that the beggar on the street or a refugee child in a shantytown.

Glorious and moving music, a call to action, a righteous warning, and we haven’t even gotten to Waters’ typically inventive audio-visual production and stage design in this show that spanned 23 numbers over two-and-a-half hours for the first of his three nights at the Los Angeles arena this week.

The show opened with a taped intro of “Speak To Me” as Waters and his eight or nine musicians arrived on stage, followed by “Breathe,” the same way his standout sets at Desert Trip last fall began, but small differences popped up immediately between those shows on a vast and expansive stage beneath the desert stars and what he’s doing in the arenas for Us + Them. The video clips on the screens behind the stage seemed different early in the show, though the same ominous silver orb that floated throughout the visuals in October was present here as well.

“Money,” one of Pink Floyd’s most-recognizable hits, drew the first huge outpouring of cheers from the crowd, while “The Great Gig In The Sky” provided a showcase for the soaring vocals of Holly Laessig and Jess Wolfe of the group Lucius, who as at Desert Trip seemed otherworldly in their platinum blonde bobs and black capes.

Midway through the first half of the show Waters ventured into a three-song set of new tunes from “Is This The Life We Really Want?” his just-released solo album, the first from him in 25 years. While some took the arrival of the unfamiliar songs as a signal to head for the bar or the bathroom, the record produced by Nigel Godrich, a frequent collaborator with Radiohead, and the four songs he played from it (one arrived later in the show) are strong in their own right, with “Picture That” a political rant on which Waters seemed particularly invigorated.

Still, there’s no denying that the crowd was entirely here for the songs they’ve known the longest and little clues — the twin acoustic guitars that kicked off “Wish You Were Here,” the helicopter sounds and spotlight that signaled the beginning of “Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2” — drew cheers and applause within moments, with everyone singing along on the choruses.

After those highlights, which included a dozen L.A. school kids in orange prison jumpsuits they tore off to reveal black T-shirts with the slogan Resist on them, Waters and the band left the stage, which gave us time to compare and contrast what we’d seen so far with what we saw at Desert Trip. The scale, of course, was smaller, and the Waters solo songs were new, but you can’t replicate that once-in-a-lifetime staging and performance, and it was a heck of a lot easier to see Waters in the flesh here than solely on the video screens in the desert.

And then the second set made up for a lot of that with much more of the flashy props and stage design — the brick power plant with smokestacks from 1977’s “Animals” album cover appeared now, though in a different place than it had in the desert, and, of course, Waters’ floating red pig, emblazoned with different Trump-bashing slogans now, made a drone-powered trip around the Staples’ air space — that fans surely expected.

“Dogs” opened the second half of the show and rocked as hard as anything from the opening set, thanks partly to lead guitarist Dave Kilminster’s guitar soloing. A few images of President Donald Trump had shown up earlier in the video montages but “Pigs (Three Different Ones),” which followed a faux on-stage dinner party with Waters and other band members drinking champagne while wearing pig masks, unloaded everything he had, from mocking video images of Trump as a pig-baby (and worse), to a stream of offensive or ridiculous Trump quotes, to the final image at the finish of the song – the words “Trump Is Evil” – that drew a loud ovation from the audience.

A few more classic Floyd songs – “Money” as always, a highlight – another new song with “Smell The Roses” and then Waters stopped to introduce his band of which we’ll make note of drummer Joey Waronker, who’s played with Beck for years, and was terrific as the engine behind Waters on Tuesday, and guitarist Jonathan Wilson, who also sang lead vocals on the handful of songs on which former Pink Floyd guitarist Dave Gilmour originally handled that role.

The encore was Waters’ usual – “Vera” straight into “Bring The Boys Back Home,” done here with just Waters and the women of Lucius – before “Comfortably Numb” wrapped up the night in a soothing fashion, a lulling moment, and one more cautionary message in a night full of musical warnings.
Roger Waters

When: Tuesday, June 20

Where: Staples Center, Los Angeles

Also: 8 p.m. Wednesday, June 21 and Tuesday, June 27

Set 1: Speak To Me (taped intro) / Breathe / One of These Days / Time / The Great Gig in the Sky / Déjà Vu / The Last Refugee / Picture That / Welcome to the Machine / Wish You Were Here / The Happiest Days of Our Lives / Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 / Another Brick in the Wall Part 3

Set 2: Dogs / Pigs (Three Different Ones) / Money / Us and Them / Smell the Roses / Brain Damage / Eclipse / Vera / Bring the Boys Back Home / Comfortably Numb

Date: June 28, 2017 20:13

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-28 20:53 by bleedingman.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 28, 2017 20:24

Keefriff99 you are on point!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 28, 2017 20:40

bleedingman
keefriff99
Hairball
bleedingman
shadooby

Losing hurts, doesn't it? Poor baby. BWAAAAA-HAAAAA-HAAAAA!!!! LOSER!!
Well, you would certainly know...Obama steamrolled your pasty white ass twice and didn't need the electoral college to bail him out.

Enjoy cheering on a mentally-ill mobster with the vocabulary of a 6-year old.

Date: June 28, 2017 20:47

Come on now - why derail a thread with personal attacks and bullshit.
It's one thing to have an opinion, but another to demean someone else for thinking differently.
If you have really have to express you hatred to one another, why not take it somewhere else like a political forum.

Date: June 28, 2017 20:52

Hairball
It's one thing to have an opinion, but another to demean someone else for thinking differently.
If you have really have to express you hatred to one another, why not take it somewhere else like a political forum.

Correct and I apologize. And it's against our esteemed host's policy. I'm deleting mine.

Thanks for all your contributions, Hairball. You really are an asset here.

Once again. Apologies.

Date: June 28, 2017 20:55

bleedingman
Hairball

Correct and I apologize. And it's against our esteemed host's policy. I'm deleting mine.

Thanks for all your contributions, Hairball. You really are an asset here.

Once again. Apologies.

Cheers Bleedingman. thumbs up

(but I have to admit your comment was funny)! winking smiley

Date: June 28, 2017 21:01

Agreed, Hairball. We need to be able to discuss an artist's right to political comment regardless of where we stand personally. It may be even more necessary when that long-promised new Stones album comes rolling out. And no, bleedingman, you were hardly the only person to turn it personal. The "Us and Them" mentality is hardly something to encourage.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 22

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home