Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 22
Re: OT: Roger Waters 2017
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 24, 2017 20:47

Kills me what was taken out. Particularly Fearless, which I adore, and Shine On, Cigar and Pigs On The Wing to make Wish You Were Here and Animals basically complete. I'm fine with Set The Controls, Mother and Run Like Hell taking a break, as I already think there are maybe too many Wall songs in for a tour he just did, but I guess its really just 2 songs and 3 really short ones.

Without new material, the show is very Dark Side and Wall heavy, which were literally has last tour tours, which is why I thought the other WYWH, Animals and Meddle material balanced it out more, but it still is a good set. I'd still catch it if I can get a cheap ticket. Nothing could have beaten that Desert Trip setlist though. Seriously, it was so perfect, at least to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-24 20:50 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2017 00:36

RollingFreak
Kills me what was taken out. Particularly Fearless, which I adore, and Shine On, Cigar and Pigs On The Wing to make Wish You Were Here and Animals basically complete. I'm fine with Set The Controls, Mother and Run Like Hell taking a break, as I already think there are maybe too many Wall songs in for a tour he just did, but I guess its really just 2 songs and 3 really short ones.

Without new material, the show is very Dark Side and Wall heavy, which were literally has last tour tours, which is why I thought the other WYWH, Animals and Meddle material balanced it out more, but it still is a good set. I'd still catch it if I can get a cheap ticket. Nothing could have beaten that Desert Trip setlist though. Seriously, it was so perfect, at least to me.

Cheers RollingFreak, I had a feeling you might be slightly disappointed in the changes, and you have every right to be. Fearless went over SO damn well at Desert Trip, it should have been a given to keep it in for these shows. Run Like Hell will not be missed imo, as when taken out of context of the entire Wall, it becomes kind of pointless and monotonous (even though it's a big rock radio staple on it's own). Mother would have seemingly fit right in with the new Us+Them concept ( the 'Trust the Government' line and all), but have seen it so many time will not miss it. Shine on You Crazy Diamond was exceptional at Desert Trip as a Wounded Warrior in a wheelchair was invited on stage to play the opening guitar intro - it was really moving and he did a fantastic job - wish it would have stayed in the set. Anyhow, nitpicking aside, with some great new songs added to the mix of classic tunes, it makes for a great setlist imo, and I'm sure this new show will not disappoint anyone who has any interest in Roger Waters and/or Pink Floyd. Ticket prices will be dropping at show near you, don't miss it!

Date: May 25, 2017 03:01

Glad to hear you largely back up most of what I was saying. Yeah, Set The Controls and Mother are played every tour, so I'm fine with them sitting out, and Run Like Hell for the reasons you gave. Fearless is my biggest peeve, but again it is still a great setlist. It just can't really top the perfect Desert one that you were lucky to see. I guess in the end while this one is close you were right that it was a one time thing.

Although if the new album is good it would be cool to hear him play new songs. Love the classics, but in all honesty I remember loving Leaving Beirut and thinking it worked really well back when I saw him in 06. He usually backs up the music with some cool videos and stuff so hopefully he has faith in this material and isn't just throwing it in there to throw it in. In that sense, this is still a really cool tour. Hoping the Thursday night show thats near me is easy, seeing as he's got 2 or 3 other New York ones around it as well and those are on weekends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-25 03:03 by RollingFreak.

Date: May 25, 2017 03:27

RollingFreak
Glad to hear you largely back up most of what I was saying. Yeah, Set The Controls and Mother are played every tour, so I'm fine with them sitting out, and Run Like Hell for the reasons you gave. Fearless is my biggest peeve, but again it is still a great setlist. It just can't really top the perfect Desert one that you were lucky to see. I guess in the end while this one is close you were right that it was a one time thing.

Although if the new album is good it would be cool to hear him play new songs. Love the classics, but in all honesty I remember loving Leaving Beirut and thinking it worked really well back when I saw him in 06. He usually backs up the music with some cool videos and stuff so hopefully he has faith in this material and isn't just throwing it in there to throw it in. In that sense, this is still a really cool tour. Hoping the Thursday night show thats near me is easy, seeing as he's got 2 or 3 other New York ones around it as well and those are on weekends.

If you recall, I originally thought these were going to be a completely new shows (and could have topped the Desert Trip shows), then changed opinion after reading and hearing from various sites, friends, and the man himself that there would be similarities in setlist and stage production. So while they were unique, other than a few song changes, the main difference would be the gigantic outdoor setting under the stars in the California desert. As for new material - you've probably heard a few already (all which are good imo), but trust me - the new album as a whole is exceptionally great, and he isn't just throwing things in there for the sake of it. There were tons of videos of the dress rehearsal - even one of the entire show, with most already having been blocked for copyright reasons. From everything I saw and heard of them, along with what some friends said who were there, the new songs are amongst the highlights. You'll have plenty of time to hear it all before the show comes near you (it's released June 2), and you'll be able to decide for yourself whether it's worthy or not.

Date: May 25, 2017 03:40

His solo material is among the songs I go to most frequently on his In The Flesh album. Like I said, Floyd stuff is always great, but I do enjoy when he throws in and really goes all at it with his solo material. Its good underrated stuff. Looking forward to the album and have liked the songs I've heard so far.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 25, 2017 05:28

Hairball
Just heard first few rows of tickets available at standard price for opening night at Kansas City - unsold VIP's...let the ticket drops begin!!!

Tate
I'm guessing RW's political message goes over fairly well wherever he plays, as I'd think a RW concert would be mostly attended by RW fans, most of whom get and appreciate his message as well as his music. I think those folks there who are casual Pink Floyd fans and oblivious to RW's political message or unappreciative of it will be in the minority, as in not enough for their boos to be heard above the cheers, even in the deep red states.

Indeed. thumbs up

Probably right, though I was thinking of taking my kid and just wanted him to witness some classic Floyd rather than yet another celebrity slinging mud on our president.

If he was pushing a certain agenda, fine, but just complaining about one without answers seems childish...though that seems to be rather the norm today, which to me seems dumb.

Like protesting the World Series winner, or Super Bowl champ. It's over, try again next time. I really don't like the Patriots but I didn't march around my town suggesting anything against their championship either hoping for a change in score, just looking forward to the Raiders eventually knocking them out of the playoffs. smileys with beer

Date: May 25, 2017 05:53

kovach
Hairball
Just heard first few rows of tickets available at standard price for opening night at Kansas City - unsold VIP's...let the ticket drops begin!!!

Tate
I'm guessing RW's political message goes over fairly well wherever he plays, as I'd think a RW concert would be mostly attended by RW fans, most of whom get and appreciate his message as well as his music. I think those folks there who are casual Pink Floyd fans and oblivious to RW's political message or unappreciative of it will be in the minority, as in not enough for their boos to be heard above the cheers, even in the deep red states.

Indeed. thumbs up

Probably right, though I was thinking of taking my kid and just wanted him to witness some classic Floyd rather than yet another celebrity slinging mud on our president.

If he was pushing a certain agenda, fine, but just complaining about one without answers seems childish...though that seems to be rather the norm today, which to me seems dumb.

Like protesting the World Series winner, or Super Bowl champ. It's over, try again next time. I really don't like the Patriots but I didn't march around my town suggesting anything against their championship either hoping for a change in score, just looking forward to the Raiders eventually knocking them out of the playoffs. smileys with beer

I hear ya kovach. It might have been relevant leading up to the election, so I'm kind of suprised he's keeping it in there. But - he's always been political and he must be really pissed off about it all. With his new album titled "Is This the Life We Really Want?", he's providing a lot of thought provoking questions through his perspective. I don't agree with all of it, but interesting to hear things from all angles, and it's all thought provoking... for better or worse. Making fun of Trump? No big deal....Trump must be used to it by now.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 25, 2017 10:41

I'm guessing the surprise during intermission might involve the Battersea Power Station? smiling smiley

Date: May 25, 2017 11:03

crholmstrom
I'm guessing the surprise during intermission might involve the Battersea Power Station? smiling smiley

Yes, like Desert Trip but didn't want to give too much away in earlier post!!!
I tried to keep it vague by saying "could be just the stage being changed for set 2", but cats out of the bag now! winking smiley

Here's a good review of new album:

Album review: Roger Waters reignites his fire in Is This the Life We Really Want?

Is This the Life We Really Want?
Regardless of what you think about his radical politics and regardless of whether or not you think uppity,
egotistical rock stars have any business meddling in world affairs, there’s no doubting that Waters’s music –
or at least its subject matter – seems wholly relevant right now.

James McNair
May 24, 2017 Updated: May 25, 2017 10:34 AM

Billed as "an unflinching commentary on the modern world in uncertain times", it is clear from Roger Waters’s first solo album in 25 years that he’s not a fan of the White House’s incumbent. It also teems with the rancour that has long been this co-founding member of Pink Floyd’s stock-in-trade.

Many of the singer’s rock star contemporaries have become mellow, rather passive figures content to tread the golf course. But Waters, 73, is still incandescent with rage. Gym-toned and seemingly in robust good health, he’s a sprightly curmudgeon spoiling for a heated political debate, not some grumpy old man moaning about how hard it is to open milk-carton packaging these days.

As ever, Waters’s hit list this time out includes the current world leaders he sees as warmongers. Consequently, we get an updated – but this time unnamed – cast to the one he memorably pilloried on The Fletcher Memorial Home, a track from Pink Floyd’s 1983 anti-Falklands War album, The Final Cut.

It is always worth remembering, though, that Waters’s brilliant anti-war songs – witness Us and Them from Pink Floyd’s 1973 album Dark Side Of The Moon or Goodbye Blue Sky from 1979’s The Wall – are all rooted in personal loss. His father Eric Fletcher Waters died during the Battle Of Anzio, Italy, in 1944, when Roger was five months old, while his grandfather George Henry Waters was a First World War casualty in 1916, near Arras, France.

This understandable chip on Waters’s shoulder has fuelled his oeuvre, leading him to make filmed pilgrimages to the site of his father’s passing and to align himself with those campaigning against injustice of all kinds, whether they be members of the Black Lives Matter movement or activists drawing attention to the plight of refugees.

Waters made Is This the Life We Really Want? with Nigel Godrich, a producer well-versed in the tics and tropes of rock’s most irascible thanks to his work with Radiohead and Thom Yorke. Wisely, Godrich has retained the Floydian bent for expensive-sounding sonics, elegiac strings and all manner of found-sounds. Excerpts from a BBC shipping forecast feature, as do ticking clocks, squeaking doors and howling wolves.

Opening track When We Were Young is a short and slightly tawdry spoken-word narrative in which Waters details adolescent stirrings and rivalries. But by the second track, Déjà Vu, the singer’s famously gargantuan ego, humanist stance and wide-reaching political agenda have kicked in.

"The temples in ruins" and "the bankers getting fat", he sings, while his mention of rivers full of "hermaphrodite trout" is an environmental red flag. The same song also finds Waters imagining himself as a drone exploding in the home of a woman baking bread, however, and this dark personification of something inherently yet anonymously evil is hugely affecting.

Waters’s personal life has long been something of a battlefield, too. After four divorces, the last of which was from actress and filmmaker Laurie Durning in 2015, he recently joked that he couldn’t afford to stop working – and this despite The Sunday Times Rich List estimating Waters’s personal wealth at £165 million this year.

In 2016, when Waters had a three-month relationship with Palestinian journalist and author Rula Jebreal, moreover, it lent a different dynamic to the singer’s longstanding protest against Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territories. Indeed, some even dubbed Waters and the equally-vocal Jebreal "the Palestinian power couple".

There is talk of homes "bulldozed to the ground" on the inordinately depressing Broken Bones, one of many tracks here reminiscent of Waters’s bleakest ballads from The Wall. But the most haunting song of displacement on Is This the Life We Really Want? is The Last Refugee, a synthesiser and booming piano-led ballad that cribs the distinctive drum beat from David Bowie’s Five Years.

Waters’s careworn, parched-vulture of a voice packs an extraordinary raw power on The Last Refugee, and he has collaborated with Sean Evans, director of his 2015 concert film The Wall, on an accompanying video. The said film depicts a broken woman of unspecified nationality dancing in a squalid, bombed-out building, perhaps a former temple, where she now sleeps on a mattress. There are also flashbacks to the building’s former splendour in happier times. As the video progresses, we learn that the woman has lost her infant daughter. Subsequent images of the child’s rag-doll washed up on the beach – and of the woman stooping to retrieve it – are unbearably poignant.

Is This the Life We Really Want? is a clever album title. Few, if any of us, are wholly content with our lot and Waters wants us to pause for thought; to question our own values and those of our respective societies.

Regardless of what you think about his radical politics and regardless of whether or not you think uppity, egotistical rock stars have any business meddling in world affairs, there’s no doubting that Waters’s music – or at least its subject matter – seems wholly relevant right now.

"Identifying foreigners as the bad guys is an exercise of control which is as old as the hills," the singer told the BBC’s Nicola Stanbridge about his new album. "People know that and yet they still fall for the old trick of ‘your life’s miserable because of the Muslims, or because of the Mexicans, or because of the Irish, or because of the Jews, or because of whoever it might be who is not us’.

"So we identify a ‘them’, and then it makes it OK for our leader to do whatever he or she wants," Waters concluded.

Writing this in the UK, on the morning after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena, suppressing one’s fear of otherness doesn’t come easy but Waters is of course right. Demonisation of the other, of otherness, of other peoples’ ways of life, is not the answer.

Date: May 25, 2017 12:28

Sorry about that Hairball! If you ever come to Seattle, we should hook up. Appears we have similar musical tastes & I suspect we are of similar vintage, haha. I'm toying with the concept of going to see the Who in Vegas. Is kind of a bad time for me though. We'll see.

Date: May 25, 2017 13:32

youtube vid of the dress rehearsal:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 25, 2017 16:25

Looking forward to RWs show this Sunday in Louisville KY. Will post a report!

Date: May 25, 2017 19:55

crholmstrom
Sorry about that Hairball! If you ever come to Seattle, we should hook up. Appears we have similar musical tastes & I suspect we are of similar vintage, haha. I'm toying with the concept of going to see the Who in Vegas. Is kind of a bad time for me though. We'll see.

No biggie was just messing around it's all public knowledge anyways with the the videos on youtube etc.
Thanks for finding the whole rehearsal - thought all those videos were deleted already - the big stage tranformation happens at the 57:50 mark for those who want a sneak peak!

Yes I think we're same vintage - early-mid 50's of age...we've seen and lived through a lot of the same things with similar perspectives of it all. Remember back when Pong was a cutting edge state of the art video game? lol
I was also thinking about the Who in Vegas, but will be driving out there through the long desert in a few weeks to celebrate my wife earning her Phd., and also to see the Roger Waters show. Don't know if I'll be ready to do it all again so soon, normally once a year maximum is more than enough Vegas for me. Hoping your back problems ease up, and if you ever head down to SoCal be sure to let me know! thumbs up

Date: May 26, 2017 13:17

Hairball
crholmstrom

No biggie was just messing around it's all public knowledge anyways with the the videos on youtube etc.
Thanks for finding the whole rehearsal - thought all those videos were deleted already - the big stage tranformation happens at the 57:50 mark for those who want a sneak peak!

Yes I think we're same vintage - early-mid 50's of age...we've seen and lived through a lot of the same things with similar perspectives of it all. Remember back when Pong was a cutting edge state of the art video game? lol
I was also thinking about the Who in Vegas, but will be driving out there through the long desert in a few weeks to celebrate my wife earning her Phd., and also to see the Roger Waters show. Don't know if I'll be ready to do it all again so soon, normally once a year maximum is more than enough Vegas for me. Hoping your back problems ease up, and if you ever head down to SoCal be sure to let me know! thumbs up

I stopped with the video games about Joust, if you remember that one. What a stoner little game that was! Younger, wilder days. Think the issue is I discovered gambling. Look forward to your review of Roger in Vegas. It's a week before I'm seeing him. Hope your mouth is feeling better! I'm resting up for the Oils this weekend. I'm going if my friend has to carry me in (she would totally). I actually sent a request via their management for Sometimes, haha.

Date: May 26, 2017 18:49

crholmstrom
Hairball
crholmstrom

I stopped with the video games about Joust, if you remember that one. What a stoner little game that was! Younger, wilder days. Think the issue is I discovered gambling. Look forward to your review of Roger in Vegas. It's a week before I'm seeing him. Hope your mouth is feeling better! I'm resting up for the Oils this weekend. I'm going if my friend has to carry me in (she would totally). I actually sent a request via their management for Sometimes, haha.

I never made it past pac man...video games were never my thing. Hard to imagine how far they've come today, sucking the life and reality out of youths all over the world! Tooth became an issue on day of root canal - dentist noticed crack in root and said it would be futile to save giving it a 50/50 chance of lasting 5 years if he were to try and repair it. He recommended having the sucker yanked, and so it will be on Tuesday. On a positive note, it's a tooth at the very upper back right side...one that I never use to chew (missing same one on other side, has never been missed!). And so...the saga continues. Had to miss Midnight Oil and a bit bummed about that, but plan B for August Greek Theater Pit is something to look forward to. I hope you make it there this weekend which I'm sure you will, and enjoy the show!thumbs up

Date: May 27, 2017 11:19

Hairball
crholmstrom
Hairball
crholmstrom

I never made it past pac man...video games were never my thing. Hard to imagine how far they've come today, sucking the life and reality out of youths all over the world! Tooth became an issue on day of root canal - dentist noticed crack in root and said it would be futile to save giving it a 50/50 chance of lasting 5 years if he were to try and repair it. He recommended having the sucker yanked, and so it will be on Tuesday. On a positive note, it's a tooth at the very upper back right side...one that I never use to chew (missing same one on other side, has never been missed!). And so...the saga continues. Had to miss Midnight Oil and a bit bummed about that, but plan B for August Greek Theater Pit is something to look forward to. I hope you make it there this weekend which I'm sure you will, and enjoy the show!thumbs up

My Oils show is on Wednesday. I'll start an OT about it. I still can't believe I got front row! As it is in a very small, old theater there are very few ADA seats. As it happens, a few of them are in the front & that's what I got. I wish I didn't have that option but since I do I use it. Some friends are mad at me about it. People who haven't spoke to me for months all of the sudden thought I was Ticketmaster when the Oils went on sale. I gave them the info for the presale & said you're on your own. Getting more than 2 tickets would've jeopardized my chances. + I would have to chase down the money. Well, they were too lazy or "busy" to get them. Like I'm not busy. Guess you snooze, you lose. I've scored a few tapes from the tour & they are stunning. Especially Chicago, where they started with all of 10.9.8.... I wouldn't be sad if they gave "Red Sails" that treatment!

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 30, 2017 18:38

SO - I made the trip to Bourbon soaked Louisville KY this weekend to catch the 2nd Roger Waters show, and all I can say is WOW.
Not to give away too many spoilers, but suffice to say, the 1st set (followed by a 20 minute intermission) is great. Musically, visually fantastic. The 2nd set however, starting with 2 songs off Animals, to quote Pulp Fiction, 'is a madman.' Just unreal. I didn't think it possible for anything to top The Wall tour - but this just may 'Trump' it - and yes, The CommanDEr in Cheat gets his during Pigs.
Anyway - a PHENOMENAL show. If you are at all a Pink Floyd/Waters fan - you really don't want to miss it. A whole bunch of US/Canada shows lined up through the summer - I would expect it to hit Europe and more next year (?) although I haven't heard any specific rumors.
Visually, and musically - this is a tough show to beat. 10/10.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 30, 2017 19:23

Yeah, but he's still got the nerve to mime (or to forget to mime as seen below) to backup tapes, frankly this is unacceptable in my book for a LIVE CONCERT !

Starts at 5'02, absolutely horrible : [youtu.be]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-30 19:24 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 30, 2017 19:34

gotdablouse
Yeah, but he's still got the nerve to mime (or to forget to mime as seen below) to backup tapes, frankly this is unacceptable in my book for a LIVE CONCERT !

Starts at 5'02, absolutely horrible : [youtu.be]

Yeah, he's bad with that. And I've always sort of accepted it, cause I've heard its just hear and there and I'd rather Have A Cigar be played than not. But for some reason when there's videos of him caught my heart drops more than other bands. It just really hurts.

And if he's lip syncing Another Brick, in all honesty how much else is that way. Maybe its just Part 3 cause thats higher, but I had that thought a few weeks ago when I was in my Waters phase. A LOT of this stuff is high. Can he even sing Shine On You Crazy Diamond anymore? Then it throws the whole show into question. One or two songs, thats fine with me, but there's a lot that does seem hard to sing at his age.

Date: May 30, 2017 19:36

This one still makes me sad. I adore the song, so I'm torn, but the illusion is just so ruined when its clear as day he's syncing:

[www.youtube.com] (4 minutes to the end).

Date: May 30, 2017 20:40

Yes the lip synching is very lame, but he's an old fart with throat issues and it's been going on for awhile - about 10 years - not on every song though.
Not defending it or forgiving it, just accepting/overlooking the fact - the way I see it is it's all part of the theatrics lol

Many rave reviews of new album and tour published, have not found a bad one yet.
But some friends who were at Desert Trip with me have said these new shows are somewhat of a letdown in certain ways in comparison.
Some who were at Desert Trip though loved the new just as much - though I havent heard anyone say these new shows are actually better.
And then some others who weren't at Desert Trip, and are full on diehards, praised it to the high heavens.

On the new album:
How Pink Floyd's Roger Waters refound his fire at 72

"Roger is hugely underrated. We've forgotten just how good a songwriter he is.
I never thought of Pink Floyd being Pink Floyd after Roger left.
He was the guy who nailed things with his lyrics.
Music is music but a song is something different that needs the magic of words, and Roger has still got that power".

On the tour:

Roger Waters Kicks Off 2017 ‘Us + Them’ Tour: Set List, Photos, Video Read More: Roger Waters Kicks Off 2017 'Us + Them' Tour: Video, Set List | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Roger Waters Us + Them Tour Review – Kansas City 2017

Music 72.8k 0 0 May 27, 2017 Roger Waters Brings Powerful Anti-Trump Message On New Tour, Offending Some Fans

Roger Waters mixes tunes and anti-Trump sentiment at Sprint Center

And from DEmerson on the Louisville show: "Visually, and musically - this is a tough show to beat. 10/10". (thanks for review) thumbs up

Haven't had time to look up any other reviews for the following Louisville, but probably more of the same praise as above.

There's a show tonight in St. Louis, and there will probably be persicope feeds as with the other two shows.
I'll find out in person in a little over two weeks and see for myself in Vegas, but am assured it will be a memorable expereince.

Date: May 30, 2017 20:43

Yeah that's pretty bad too and it was 10+ years ago...I'm not sure what happened to his voice but all of a sudden in 1987 for Kaos it sounded completely shot and then there was the disaster of The Wall concert in Berlin in 1990 where he was off-key most of the time.

I saw The Wall "show" (hard to call it a "concert") in 2013 and it was only really problematic during "The Trial" where it was obvious it wasn't him singing. Still, he's the only "superstar" to do that, right? Not sure how he gets away with it when he portrays himself as the "righteous"/"demanding" thought leader of the free world to a large extent ! IORR would implode if the Stones did that, it's bad enough when Charlie uses a click track on Sympahy ;-) And we're just random "fans" who can vote with their feet, imagine how disgusted all the hard-working musicians out there who can't make it must be !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-30 20:45 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 30, 2017 20:54

I here ya gotdablouse .

But all "the hard working musicians out there who can't make it" first have to pay their dues over decades, become very successful, sell zillions of albums, and then they can do whatever they like. winking smiley
By then they will have built a huge enough fan base over the decades, and will hopefully be able to consistently sell out arenas and stadiums around the world as Roger Waters does. As for his Wall tour, he holds the record for being the highest-grossing tour for a solo musician. Not bad for someone who has a history of miming here and there.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 30, 2017 21:04

There's a song from the new album "The Last Refugee" that I absolutely love. Can't detect any vocal issues.....

Date: May 30, 2017 21:11

Maindefender
There's a song from the new album "The Last Refugee" that I absolutely love. Can't detect any vocal issues.....

Yeah that songs a beauty, as is Deja Vu. No vocal issues on studio recordings, but the strains of a live show and continuous touring is when he has issues.
There's another new tune Picture That which he's been playing AND sings live - the song is a winner filled with though provoking imagery.

"Picture a shithouse with no f*cking drains
Picture a leader with no f*cking brains
Follow me filming myself at the show
On a phone from a seat in the very front row"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-30 21:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 30, 2017 22:15

I didn't notice any lip-synching at Desert Trip 2, and it certainly - for better or worse - sounded like him singing, which, compared to 2006-07 or 2010 was a welcome relief for me.

(I actually think it's called 'Vocal Enhancements', because Waters emotes underneath a prerecorded track).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 31, 2017 00:03

Hilarious.

Date: May 31, 2017 00:11

mosthigh
I didn't notice any lip-synching at Desert Trip 2, and it certainly - for better or worse - sounded like him singing, which, compared to 2006-07 or 2010 was a welcome relief for me.

(I actually think it's called 'Vocal Enhancements', because Waters emotes underneath a prerecorded track).

Yes I don't think he was using any (or many) "vocal enhancements" at Desert Trip, maybe minimal. Seeing as those two shows were a week apart, and a couple others in Mexcio City prior to that, he didn't have to overuse and/or strain his vocals. And yes, I believe he emotes of 'whispers' along to a pre-recorded vocal track at times for these new shows - vocal enhancement it is, but still can seem a bit shady...oh well.

GasLightStreet
Hilarious.

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-31 00:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 31, 2017 00:23

Would love to see Trump's tweet after seeing this.

Speaking for myself, it's a tad over the top and Waters is certainly entitled to his opinion but he's not getting a dime from me. Imagine the outrage if Ted Nugent did something similar about President Obama. The election is over, get on with it. Trump is his own worst enemy, he doesn't need Waters to make him look bad.

Date: May 31, 2017 00:32

Yes it's a bit of an easy target and doesn't really help anyone...

As for "vocal enhancements" you have to be kidding, this is plain and shameful "miming" (gone wrong) : [youtu.be] - it's visible there, why wouldn't he be using it everywhere? On the rehearsal posted on Dime his voice is so terribly shot that he can barely introduce the band. This is not music, it's a travesty, contrast to...dunno...Gilmour's soulful and delivate playing, even during the last tour.

--------------

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 22

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home