Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: SW/UJ Tour vs. VL Tour
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: May 13, 2017 06:44

keefriff99
stevecardi
Thanks for all the responses!
I might be biased in favor of 1989/1990 since I'm one of the few fans that genuinely loves the Steel Wheels album, the two tours' killer stages, and the fact their playing had a tightness to it that we hadn't heard from them since the Taylor years.
But on the VL tour, there was something rough and arrogant about the Stones: a sense of danger had returned to their sound they didn't have in 1989/1990 (or, for that matter, 1981/1982). But it wasn't the 1960s/1970s menacing Stones; it was something new entirely.

Or, stated in another way:

1989/1990 = "We're back and we're better than ever!"

1994/1995 = "Try to string us up! I dare you (I double dare you!): we ain't dead yet, and we're still better than everyone else!"
Everything about the Voodoo Lounge marketing was darker and more menacing.

The liner note photos, the RS cover shoot with the masks, the fantastic Love Is Strong video, Mick in the Baron Samedi outfit for Sympathy, the way Keith dressed...there was a playful edge and darkness to their aesthetic during that period which was really fantastic.

It was all posturing, but they really did come off as badass. That period is what got me hooked on the Stones when I was a teen. The Love is Strong video and their performance at the VMAs reeled me in and I was hooked for life.

Same here: I was also a teen when I became a huge die hard Stones fan, and it was during the VL/Stripped period. And I also agree with you that (1) while it might have have been posturing, the Stones still came off as genuine badasses on the VL material (especially the b-sides like "Jump on top of Me" and "I'm Gonna Drive"), and (2) despite whatever people think of the song, the video to "Love Is Strong" is impressive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 08:21 by stevecardi.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 13, 2017 07:17

stevecardi
1994/1995 = "Try to string us up! I dare you (I double dare you!): we ain't dead yet, and we're still better than everyone else!"

I remember one review of the VL tour where the author alluded to this...citing how the opening line of Not Fade Away ("I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be!") set the tone for the evening.

Really enjoyed the Voodoo Lounge show I saw at the Rose Bowl (much more than Steel Wheels) - they were loud and rockin' all night.

Edit:
Can't believe I actually found that review online...it was by the L.A. Times' Robert Hilburn for the San Diego show, just prior to when I saw them at the Rose Bowl.

"I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be," Jagger declared teasingly in the first line of "Not Fade Away," the 1964 hit that opened the two-hour set. The still lean, athletic singer delivered the lyric with such biting authority that he mocked the idea that this is a band living on borrowed time. His words, in effect, were a vow that the Stones can still entertain and excite.

[articles.latimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 07:25 by Jah Paul.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: May 15, 2017 07:23

Arguably the two worst tours of the modern era. Interesting to have a thread comparing them.

I think they got progressively better since starting back in 89. But I think they truly hit their stride in 97/98. The three MSG shows in 98 took them to a new place, and that lasted about 10 years.

The first two tours are dominated by additional instruments/vocals, and a lack of focus on guitars in the mix.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2017 04:02

Rocky Dijon
You could do the same comparison with "Miss You." The difference is too much of the time, the arrangements became driven by keyboards and not guitar. There are exceptions, some glorious, but overall Keith and Ronnie played around Chuck adding decorative work to his keyboard melodies. That, to me, was what ruined a lot of performances for me. "Miss You" is a song I have no interest in after 1990. And yes, I love the original.

I concur. They could play it much shorter and fit in one or two 'other' songs. It's gotten to 'oh yeah, you know this one do ya now, here you go' and 15 minutes later...

Date: May 17, 2017 10:50

Date: May 17, 2017 10:50

geordiestone
There were blow up dolls on the VL tour. I remember a huge Elvis Presley at Wembley. And on occasions they played SW songs such as Rock And a Hard Place and Slipping Away.
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 17, 2017 13:48

1989/90 was a horror trip. Stones on autopilot from start till the end. They played too well-rehearsed, too close to the studio takes, too much keyboards, too predictable setlists. Even the interesting songs like One Hit or Play With Fire sounded strange in their 80s sound and were dropped eventually. The only good thing about 1989/90 are 2000 Light Years and Factory Girl. - 1994/95 and 1997/98 were far better, but still the 2nd/3rd worst (or 3rd/2nd, I'm not sure) world tour. They sounded like the Stones again 1999 onwards, incl. more interesting setlists. They need arena shows sometimes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-17 16:06 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: May 18, 2017 03:23

JMARKO
Arguably the two worst tours of the modern era. Interesting to have a thread comparing them.

I think they got progressively better since starting back in 89. But I think they truly hit their stride in 97/98. The three MSG shows in 98 took them to a new place, and that lasted about 10 years.

The first two tours are dominated by additional instruments/vocals, and a lack of focus on guitars in the mix.

Monsoon Ragoon
1989/90 was a horror trip. Stones on autopilot from start till the end. They played too well-rehearsed, too close to the studio takes, too much keyboards, too predictable setlists. Even the interesting songs like One Hit or Play With Fire sounded strange in their 80s sound and were dropped eventually. The only good thing about 1989/90 are 2000 Light Years and Factory Girl. - 1994/95 and 1997/98 were far better, but still the 2nd/3rd worst (or 3rd/2nd, I'm not sure) world tour. They sounded like the Stones again 1999 onwards, incl. more interesting setlists. They need arena shows sometimes.

To each his own.
Although I will agree that B2B/NS had some fine moments (especially from Keith.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 03:48 by stevecardi.

Date: May 18, 2017 03:45

Jah Paul
stevecardi

I remember one review of the VL tour where the author alluded to this...citing how the opening line of Not Fade Away ("I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be!") set the tone for the evening.

Really enjoyed the Voodoo Lounge show I saw at the Rose Bowl (much more than Steel Wheels) - they were loud and rockin' all night.

Edit:
Can't believe I actually found that review online...it was by the L.A. Times' Robert Hilburn for the San Diego show, just prior to when I saw them at the Rose Bowl.

"I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be," Jagger declared teasingly in the first line of "Not Fade Away," the 1964 hit that opened the two-hour set. The still lean, athletic singer delivered the lyric with such biting authority that he mocked the idea that this is a band living on borrowed time. His words, in effect, were a vow that the Stones can still entertain and excite.

[articles.latimes.com]

Yes, thank you for posting this (great and insightful revue btw): it's actually hearken to what what I and some other members were trying to convey.
When I say that the 1994/1995 Stones weren't the menacing Stones from 1960s/1970s but something new entirely, I mean that the difference between the first two decades and the Voodoo Lounge years was a matter of dignity and integrity.

The whole "Strolling Bones/'aren't these guys a little old to be doing this?" thing started in 1981, came to the surface in 1989, but by 1994, it was the first thing the mass public were thinking when it came to the Stones. It was like their entire reasons for being and existing were either (1) being called into question, or (2) described as a pathetic and desperate attempt to prove they're not boring old dinosaurs.

The Stones' response to all this (especially live on the tour) was akin to an aging and experienced gang leader in a knife-fight taking out a switch-blade to the younger challengers, and daring them, "come for me!" and then watching as all the young punks back down in fear.

And I also agree that it was no accident that "Not Fade Away"--a Stones classic and a concert staple of the Jones years the band had ignored since 1969---had suddenly reappeared in the setlist (and as opening song, no less).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 14:53 by stevecardi.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 18, 2017 10:25

HonkeyTonkFlash
My impression was that given their new habit of trying to replicate their studio albums, some of the Steel Wheels shows were a bit stiff; technically perfect but lacking some soul. By 1994 it seemed to me that they had gotten comfortable enough with their new methods to put some more feeling back into their playing...but that's just my opinion. smiling smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 18, 2017 10:39

I am still glowing from the Voodoo Lounge tour. Shine a Light, Monkey Man, Connection,
Live with me. All in one show (Rotterdam). Songs I never dreamed of hearing live at
the time.
And the guitars sounded good! Strong and way louder than the keyboards.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 18, 2017 10:54

Monsoon Ragoon

You must have had extremely bad luck, because this is not how the show I attended was. Nothing like it.

It rocked, and I have the tape to prove it thumbs up

SFTD, Paint It, Black, Harlem Shuffle, ALL the warhorses, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, 2000 LYFH (as you mentioned), Ruby Tuesday, Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man were all excellent.

We didn't have the internet back then, so nobody were thinking about whether the setlist was predictable or not.

Date: May 18, 2017 12:17

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

You must have had extremely bad luck, because this is not how the show I attended was. Nothing like it.

It rocked, and I have the tape to prove it thumbs up

SFTD, Paint It, Black, Harlem Shuffle, ALL the warhorses, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, 2000 LYFH (as you mentioned), Ruby Tuesday, Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man were all excellent.

We didn't have the internet back then, so nobody were thinking about whether the setlist was predictable or not.

I was in fact very enthusiastic back then at 13 in West Berlin. But only because it was the first time. I don't like 1989/90, although "horror trip" might be the wrong description. Many people will agree that it was the worst tour. The continuation of the Jagger Tour 1988 with better musicians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 12:20 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 18, 2017 12:24

My vote goes to VL Tour. The sound of guitars was very "thin" on 1989/1990 tour, IMO.

Date: May 18, 2017 12:35

Sounds pretty similar to me..

Guitar sound 1989/90:

[www.youtube.com]

Guitar sound 1994/95

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 12:35

Remember Paris SDF 1998.
Ronnie absolutely inaudible in the mix. Non-existent.
But great set list and quite a good show.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: May 18, 2017 12:56

Monsoon Ragoon

I was in fact very enthusiastic back then at 13 in West Berlin. But only because it was the first time. I don't like 1989/90, although "horror trip" might be the wrong description. Many people will agree that it was the worst tour. The continuation of the Jagger Tour 1988 with better musicians.

I was also at the Berlin concert. Urban Jungle was the 1st Stones-tour for me, in Berlin I was really impressed by the huge Steel Wheels stage.
It was a great day, that afternoon we ran into Charlie, at Unter den Linden :-)

Date: May 18, 2017 13:23

ErwinH
Monsoon Ragoon

I was also at the Berlin concert. Urban Jungle was the 1st Stones-tour for me, in Berlin I was really impressed by the huge Steel Wheels stage.
It was a great day, that afternoon we ran into Charlie, at Unter den Linden :-)

I was at the Urban Junge stage show June 6. I saw Charlie on the streets five years later in Berlin.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 18, 2017 20:20

No tour is horrible to me. The Brian Jones era is terrific despite the screaming. Listen to the Olympia Theatre shows in perfect quality and you hear how good they were. Every bit as good as at the Camden Theatre or on the GOT LIVE EP. For a bunch of kids, they were amazingly tight. The Mick Taylor era is the high water mark for their concerts. I've never encountered a show that disappointed me. The band was firing on all cylinders. The seeming competition from the guitar players pushed the band to brilliant heights.

1975-1977 were pretty sloppy with most everyone seeming wasted, but sometimes that sloppiness was glorious in its own right and there are still treasures to be enjoyed. The 1978 tour is the best with Ronnie. It is, in its own raw fashion, the equal of the Taylor years. The 1981-82 tours were all over the place with brilliant shows and terribly sloppy shows that were actually dull. When they were on, they were extraordinary and the football jersey and lemon yellow tights don't bother me any more than the punk outfit or the kabuki makeup did in the past.

STEEL WHEELS / URBAN JUNGLE showed how professional they could be. The shows are pretty interchangeable, but they were playing to a high standard if missing the danger and spontaneity of the past. It is a production and they all play like pro's. I hear plenty of guitar from Keith and Ronnie, though both could go painfully out of tune and the audience seems blissfully unaware.

VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON / NO SECURITY were less slick. There are excellent shows and shows where they just seem bored. The Cleveland show in 1994 is one of the latter, unfortunately. Miami as well some of the time. If you pick and choose songs from different shows they can sound as on fire as ever.

LICKS seemed a bit of a shot in the arm. There were still moments where they were on auto pilot. Much is made of Keith and Ronnie's very evident posing and general lack of playing, but Mick sounds bored to death in plenty of shows simply going through the motions and regularly botching the words to songs. Charlie, starting with A BIGGER BANG, is not always on fire any more. Age, health, and too many times playing the same show would wear anyone down.

I don't pretend the last five years see the Stones at the same strength. Comparing "Out of Control" in 1997 or 1998 to Havana is a perfect example. That said, they are far stronger than anyone has a right to expect for a band in their seventies. In that respect, every show is a gift.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 20:22 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 00:34

VL better

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 19, 2017 00:34

Spud
HonkeyTonkFlash
My impression was that given their new habit of trying to replicate their studio albums, some of the Steel Wheels shows were a bit stiff; technically perfect but lacking some soul. By 1994 it seemed to me that they had gotten comfortable enough with their new methods to put some more feeling back into their playing...but that's just my opinion. smiling smiley

thumbs up

I particularly remember one moment that struck me when I saw them in 1989. They were doing YCAGWYW and I was so accustomed to them jamming on that tune in the past, the replication of the studio version seemed forced and lacked a certain oomph. They did that "bridge" with Ronnie replicating Keith's studio licks. It was perfect but lifeless. Somehow it made me sad.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home