Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Jimi Hendrix 'Are You Experienced'
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 7, 2017 18:52

With all the hoopla over the Sgt. Pepper album, this was also released in 1967. IMO, a far better album than Pepper and still one of the most influential albums regarding electric guitar playing. 1967 also saw the release of 'Axis: Bold As Love'. Both of these albums should be lauded as much as the Beatles work.

Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix 'Are You Experienced'
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 7, 2017 19:08

dmay
1967 also saw the release of 'Axis: Bold As Love'. Both of these albums should be lauded as much as the Beatles work.

You're wrong! Both of these albums should be lauded FAR ABOVE the Beatles work! grinning smiley
"Bold As Love" (the song) is oen of the most moving tune ever written... at least the 1st part. The 2nd "flanged" part has not aged as well (imo).

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 7, 2017 19:21

Axis 'is" an amazing album for sure. I prefer it to "Experienced", but Electric Ladyland is "the" masterpiece in my opinion. Certainly "axis" should get special treatment since The Doors have. Personally I love Jimi much more. But on the subject of The Beatles I'm afraid nobody is bigger, and Sgt. Pepper earned it's reputation from my point of view. Still, Jimi was the greatest single musician at least in the Rock And Roll genre as far as I'm concerned. In the end I suppose it's all about personal preference anyhow.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 7, 2017 19:31

Sgt. Pepper's overrated! Other Beatles album are superior!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 7, 2017 19:34

yep. both of those in '67, and also Monterey, thankfully filmed. I had the LP that had Jimi on one side and Otis' set on the other. It got a whole lot of play.
Are You Experienced was a sea change.
btw he pretty much blew The Beatles away when they went to see him at a club date in UK. Pepper hadn't been released, or was just about to be. He whipped it out and showed him the way it should go. Surprise for them!! They were pretty impressed and happy about it. Paul will ocasionally launch into "Foxy Lady," right in the middle of his grandest war horses. Guess from what album. smiling smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 01:05 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2017 20:03

The all time greatest guitar player broke the foundation and laid new ground with Are You Experienced, and it ranks at the top of all time greats without a doubt.
But 'far better' than Sgt. Peppers? That's debatable (as are all opinions).

Even Hendrix praised the album (or at least the title track):

Sgt. Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix made a public display of his admiration for The Beatles when their seminal classic ’Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ was released during the ’Summer of Love’ in 1967.
Purchasing the record on the day of its release, he performed the title track just two days later at the Saville Theatre in London’s Shaftesbury Avenue.
Unbeknown to Hendrix, some of The Beatles were actually in the audience, listening intently to his audacious performance.
Speaking at a later date, Paul McCartney spoke of his honour of the tribute, calling the performance “simply incredible, perhaps the best I have ever seen him play”.

Axis is a damn great album also, but not as great as Are You Experienced, nor the follow up Electric Ladyland in all it's double album glory.

Date: May 7, 2017 20:37

Decca passsed on him. doh...thinkin' that guy was probs a dog-walker a year later. Not a bad job, done it myself more than once.
Good thing Harrison made sure they got The Stones. Was this the visionary Dick Rowe again? Loved Brian turning Wanna Be Your Man on it's head w that slide.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 7, 2017 20:44

cool smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 7, 2017 20:55

Hairball

even Hendrix was wrong from time to time…

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 7, 2017 21:19

Furthermore, on the subject of the 50th Anniversary of the Summer Of Love there should be a slew of special releases I would think. Of course The Doors are no stranger to a cash-in and the Jimi Hendrix Estate has been blamed for many as well. Where are they now? There is a lot of material already out on bootlegs plus more exist I suspect. Next month we're half way through the year, maybe we will over run with plenty of titles by then?

Date: May 7, 2017 21:19

slewan
Hairball

Yes, not always, but from time to time.
But in n this case, he was right!

Date: May 7, 2017 22:31

frankotero
Furthermore, on the subject of the 50th Anniversary of the Summer Of Love there should be a slew of special releases I would think. Of course The Doors are no stranger to a cash-in and the Jimi Hendrix Estate has been blamed for many as well. Where are they now? There is a lot of material already out on bootlegs plus more exist I suspect. Next month we're half way through the year, maybe we will over run with plenty of titles by then?

It's my feeling that Jim Morrison was a really huge influence on Mick's approach to his image projection and maybe just maybe some of his material too. Or Robby's who wrote Light My Fire, but it does make me wonder if Jim's lyrics on some things influenced Mick, I'll never know for certain by here's Ray Manzarek being interviewed about The Doors at Hollywood Bowl:
Q: ... ... And Morrison obviously rose to the occasion, too.
MANZEREK: Absolutely, he performed the whole concert with extreme intensity. This has a psychological, spiritual intensity that the Doors tried to -- this is like the Whisky A Go Go show set in front of 14,000 people. It may not have been an overly spectacular physical performance although Morrison doing "The End," my god, he is a Shaman. When we get into the double-time section, he becomes the Shaman you've been waiting to see. It's incredible. The performance of that song is something you'd never seen a lead singer do before or since. He was gone. He had entered that Shamic-space and you can actually see that happen at the Hollywood Bowl.
Q: What was the feeling like just after the show?
MANZAREK: We toasted each other with champagne at the Hollywood Bowl, to a great performance. It started subtly then climaxed. That show was like great sex! The Doors having sex with their Los Angeles audience.
Q: There's a rumor that Mick Jagger can be seen in the audience on the DVD.
MANZAREK: Jagger was there and, come of think of it, all of the Stones were there, as well. We all had dinner before the show with the Stones. Now I don't know where they were during the show, but there are rumors that Jim's girl was sitting on Jagger's lap. And I remember our meal with the band before the show, at Mouling's Chinese restaurant, a long-gone place that specialized in Navy Grog and special tropical drinks.
Jimi Hendrix had been a major road-dog as a hired-hand in rock 'n roll (Little Richard with whom he recorded a bit and toured with), and some really cool R&B acts too. King Curtis, all the righteous R&B movers and shakers at the time, were well aware of him before Jimi moved to the UK...changed his look, developed his image when Charles Chandler (The Animals) brought him to the UK, managed and promoted him; we'd get the UK/US hybrid band with Noel & Mitch; all so fascinating the way this developed and evolved, and all in a pretty short time span actually. Jimi did all that and so much more and never got to live out the last 3 years of his TWENTIES...good god almighty...rather heartbreaking. By the time I saw him live (I HAD seen him with Little Richard in massive revue show but hadn't put all that together yet) ... by the time I saw him live w his own band, he would be gone within a maximum of 6 or 7 months.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 01:15 by hopkins.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 7, 2017 22:34

dcba
dmay
1967 also saw the release of 'Axis: Bold As Love'. Both of these albums should be lauded as much as the Beatles work.

You're wrong! Both of these albums should be lauded FAR ABOVE the Beatles work! grinning smiley
"Bold As Love" (the song) is oen of the most moving tune ever written... at least the 1st part. The 2nd "flanged" part has not aged as well (imo).

I agree the first part is brilliant. I don't think the second part kills it, although I'll say its helped by the fact that its the last song on the album. So its a cool little ending part in that sense, like a farewell to the listener almost as he goes back into space where the album starts. On its own I still think its fine, but agreed that that first half is just note perfect. Hadn't heard that song in years, thanks for the reminder.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:06

hopkins
frankotero

It's rarely if ever talked of, so maybe i'm wrong on this, but it's my feeling that Jim Morrison was a really huge influence on Mick's approach to his image projection and maybe just maybe some of his material too. Or Robby's who wrote Light My Fire, but it does make me wonder if Jim's lyrics on some things influenced Mick, I'll never know for certain by here's Ray Manzarek being interviewed about The Doors at Hollywood Bowl:

And Morrison obviously rose to the occasion, too.

MANZEREK: Absolutely, he performed the whole concert with extreme intensity. This has a psychological, spiritual intensity that the Doors tried to -- this is like the Whisky A Go Go show set in front of 14,000 people. It may not have been an overly spectacular physical performance although Morrison doing "The End," my god, he is a Shaman. When we get into the double-time section, he becomes the Shaman you've been waiting to see. It's incredible. The performance of that song is something you'd never seen a lead singer do before or since. He was gone. He had entered that Shamic-space and you can actually see that happen at the Hollywood Bowl.

What was the feeling like just after the show?

MANZAREK: We toasted each other with champagne at the Hollywood Bowl, to a great performance. It started subtly then climaxed. That show was like great sex! The Doors having sex with their Los Angeles audience.

There's a rumor that Mick Jagger can be seen in the audience on the DVD.

MANZAREK: Jagger was there and, come of think of it, all of the Stones were there, as well. We all had dinner before the show with the Stones. Now I don't know where they were during the show, but there are rumors that Jim's girl was sitting on Jagger's lap. And I remember our meal with the band before the show, at Mouling's Chinese restaurant, a long-gone place that specialized in Navy Grog and special tropical drinks.

Can you even believe that all this was happening at the same time? I've no doubt at all that Mick had influenced Jim in the first place tho.
Jimi Hendrix had been a major road-dog as a hired-hand in rock 'n roll (Little Richard with whom he recorded a bit and toured with), and some really cool R&B acts too. King Curtis, all the righteous R&B movers and shakers at the time, were well aware of him before Jimi moved to the UK...changed his look, developed his image when Charles Chandler (The Animals) brought him to the UK, managed and promoted him; we'd get the UK/US hybrid band with Noel & Mitch; all so fascinating the way this developed and evolved, and all in a pretty short time span actually. Jimi did all that and so much more and never got to live out the last 3 years of his TWENTIES...good god almighty...rather heartbreaking. By the time I saw him live (I HAD seen him with Little Richard in massive revue show but hadn't put all that together yet) ... by the time I saw him live, he would be gone within a maximum of 6 or 7 months. when I think of it, it still kind of hurts, gosh I'm kind of surprised to get hit by it like this. Now I'm old and remember when he was like the big grownup in that store, and also w the persective to see that young kid dying, actually both Jims, but I had a bit of a personal brush with one of them and it's like human to me not an image or media thing...or even a music thing primarily...logoff for now.

Brian was a h u g e influence on Jim. Huge. He really copied his moves, way of speaking, that smile. Everything. When he met Mick he kept asking about Brian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-07 23:43 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:07

Jim influenced Mick for sure. As did Lou Reed. Stray cat Blues isnt just the Heroin intro, it's the way Mick sings/talks it.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:19

Are You Experienced, Axis, and especially Electric Ladyland are all killer albums for sure-- groundbreaking, influential,all ahead of their time.

But you cant knock the Beatles. in the short span of 7 years they went from "She Loves You" to Abbey Road. Classic after classic after classic.

Hendrix was like a shooting star-- blazed across the skies and then was gone.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:28

slewan
Hairball

His cover of Sgt Pepper (the song) blows away the Beatles'...

"you cant knock the Beatles. in the short span of 7 years they went from "She Loves You" to Abbey Road"
Well in the short span of 3 years (65-68) JH went from anonymous sideman in the r&b genre to guitar god who bascially invented a whole new genre.

Imo that's more impressive!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:43

Bottom line is musicians back in the day had more drive and, in fairness to newer bands, more to innovate and work with that was new. But yeah, to see how much The Beatles changed and evolved in 7 years is staggering. But hey, they worked their @#$%& asses off to do it too, way more than a lot of bands these days do. I'm in the middle of a big Pink Floyd kick, just look at how much they evolved. Kinda similar to the Stones. Started off with something and it took about 7 years but finally perfected a sound that is now there's. Kinda like how the Stones didn't really start peaking till Beggars or Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers despite their excellent records beforehand. Maybe Jimi would have burned out, but to hear how much he progressed just from Experience to Ladyland is fascinating. I truly think bands tried a lot harder back then.

Date: May 8, 2017 01:17

wow Redhotcarpet i did not know that! That's huge.

and it's certainly amazing the Beatle boys evolving so much so fast in those 7 years. and right they did work their asses off. Harrison was 14, the other guys 16 & 3 of them were alredy together in '59. I think just professionally they had over 1500 shows. They were worked near to death. So there's that 7 years till '70 but at least 3 hard-working years before that. The entire thing was over before they any of them were 30. They helped one hell of a lot of people from their town get deals, and then down into the London bigtime, including what would be the Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World. They would have made history just for that haha...work. all of them needing endless material and fast bam the deals in those days were contracting them to a LOT of product yearly....like M&K w she's so cold she's so hot she's kinda lukewarm, she's tepid, she's a rainbow. J&P are all she loves you i love her she don't love me i don't love her we love each other we used to love each other we'd love to love each other i wish she'd love me she used to love me. i should have known better; i used to know better it's better now...we say hello we say goodbye...they play a major scale as a melody line and thats a huge world-wide hit too. ten tons of TV. They were all pretty experienced. for Jimi to rise in the middle of that, for anyone to, to the extent he did, as a writer player thorougly repspected by all of them is so huge. yeh it had it's sensational benefits but privacy and normality amidst hysteria and danger was not one of them.
He was also, i'm pretty sure, the only black musician of all the second generation stars in the 60's to be a major singer-spongwriter-player with huge international cross-over stardom as a recording and performing artist fairly strictly in the white rock-market world starting '67 pretty bigtime. That's a lot of pressure and he didn't have the same steady bunch of players through all of it. And he was nice. He was kind and thoughtful; he really was. He did little things for fans that were never publicized and pretty generous. That Cavett interview shows his spirit and intelligence and humility in the face of all that attention. He did a Dylan song and Dylan stole his arrangement and was clear to say so. He was a paratrooper in the US Army; except for Bill's stint in the RAF of all those biggest bands he was the only other military vet I can think of, and that's it's own 'experience,' ...i think it's fair to say he was brought up pretty hard and poor in Seattle & had to deal with being a black American touring and working before civil rights legislation. think on that for a minute. and another minute. and started playing w bands and sessions and tours same as all of 'em in '63 in that regard. Tho obviously not breaking huge w his own thing til late '66 when he started recording Are You Experienced. He worked his ass off too and how. All these guys went through the mill and more man. He was a @#$%& rocket ship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 03:10 by hopkins.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 8, 2017 04:30

hopkins
yep. both of those in '67, and also Monterey, thankfully filmed. I had the LP that had Jimi on one side and Otis' set on the other. It got a whole lot of play.
btw he pretty much blew The Beatles away when they went to see him at a club date in UK. Pepper hadn't been released, or was just about to be. He whipped it out and showed him the way it should go. Surprise for them!! They were pretty impressed and happy about it. Paul will ocasionally launch into "Foxy Lady," right in the middle of his grandest war horses. Guess from what album. smiling smiley

A bit exaggerated, the "showed him/them the way it should go" bit, don't you think? Yes, the Beatles were surprised, but reportedly mainly because Pepper had been out merely a day or two and Hendrix already had the title song in his set.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 8, 2017 04:37

Whats the best posthumous album for Hendrix?

Date: May 8, 2017 05:23

Cooltoplady
Whats the best posthumous album for Hendrix?

Back in the old days, it was Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge (both 1971), but they then went out of print.
They were then combined into First Rays of the New Rising Sun (1997), except for Hear My Train A' Comin live (from Rainbow Bridge album) which is sad because it's the best live version ever. Also, Look over Yonder (also Rainbow Bridge) was excluded which was later included on another compilation South Saturn Delta. Evidently, the concept of First Rays was supposed to be the last album Jimi was working on, and is supposedly the goal he was aiming for. But there's quotes from him that contradict all that as he had no absolute plans etched in stone at the time of his death. But....

In 2014, both Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge were both remastered and officially re-released in their original cover, track listing, etc. on vinyl and cd. Stick with these for the best of the best.
I bought brand spankin' new vinyl versions of both which now rest nicely next to my beat up old original copies in my collection.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Cry of Love (from wiki):

In a contemporary review for Rolling Stone, Lenny Kaye hailed The Cry of Love as the authentic posthumous Hendrix album, his last work, and "a beautiful, poignant testimonial, a fitting coda to the career of a man who was clearly the finest electric guitarist to be produced by the Sixties, bar none".[15] Robert Christgau originally wrote in The Village Voice that the album is an "excellent testament" and may be Hendrix's best record behind Electric Ladyland (1968) because of its quality as a whole rather than its individual songs,[12] finding it free-flowing, devoid of affectations, and "warmer than the three Experience LPs".[6] He was more enthusiastic about the songs in retrospect:

"It isn't just the flow—these tracks work as individual compositions, from offhand rhapsodies like 'Angel' and 'Night Bird Flying' through primal riffsongs like 'Ezy Ryder' and 'Astro Man' to inspired goofs like 'My Friend' and 'Belly Button Window.' What a testament."[6]

Paul Evans wrote in The Rolling Stone Album Guide that it "showed the master, playing with Cox and Mitchell, at his most confident: 'Ezy Rider' and 'Angel' are the tough and tender faces of the genius at his most appealing." Dan Bigna from The Sydney Morning Herald stated: "there is something satisfying about having this first posthumous Hendrix release as a distinct object that illuminates the brush strokes of a genius" In 2014, VH1 deemed The Cry of Love "the greatest posthumous classic rock record of all time".

Rainbow Bridge (from wiki):

According to AllMusic's Sean Westergaard, "when Rainbow Bridge was originally released, it was actually among the best of the posthumous Hendrix releases ... a mix of excellent, finished studio tracks and a couple of live tracks."[10] In a contemporary review for Rolling Stone magazine, Tony Glover wrote favorably of the songs on side one, particularly the "really majestic version" of "The Star-Spangled Banner".[15] Robert Christgau said in a retrospective review that The Cry of Love (1971) had highlighted Hendrix's abilities as a songwriter, but Rainbow Bridge showcased his guitar playing:

"Rich stuff, exploring territory that as always with Hendrix consists not merely of notes but of undifferentiated sound, a sound he shapes with a virtuosity no one else has ever achieved on an electric instrument".

Date: May 8, 2017 05:27

retired_dog
hopkins

A bit exaggerated, the "showed him/them the way it should go" bit, don't you think? Yes, the Beatles were surprised, but reportedly mainly because Pepper had been out merely a day or two and Hendrix already had the title song in his set.

yeh way exaggerated. i get excited and lapse into hyperbole. got to watch that. just got in the spirit for a sec there...fanboy stuff. I don't listen to Pepper but they've got ten albums from 64 to 66 somehow & the cream of that rockin' stuff did not escape me for sure. still love it. Nickys on Revolution! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 05:57 by hopkins.

Date: May 8, 2017 12:15

Love Jimi's albums, but they're all uneven in quality, imo. None of them are masterpieces for me. The Beatles created several masterpieces, I must admit.

The stage was Jimi's playground. There he wiped the floor with everything the Beatles have done.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 8, 2017 13:42

The reversed guitar solo of Are You Experienced .... still slaughters ...

AND AND 3rd Stone .... I could live just with them two ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 8, 2017 16:15

Well if you ask me, Sgt Pepper was the Beatles having a laugh and taking the p*ss.

They got away with it . Other folks [the Stones included] also tried and to some degree got away with it .

I essence, it was acid fueled b*llocks grinning smiley

Date: May 8, 2017 16:19

But but, if Sgt. Pepper was acid-fueled, what on earth did they take on Magical Mystery Tour and the Yellow Submarine album? grinning smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 8, 2017 17:13

Ehm..

More of the same ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have it ..and some interesting music came out of that whole "psychodelic" thing.

..but, thankfully, most artists got it out of their systems quite quickly and moved back towards their respective "roots".

Date: May 8, 2017 17:25

Spud
Ehm..

More of the same ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have it ..and some interesting music came out of that whole "psychodelic" thing.

..but, thankfully, most artists got it out of their systems quite quickly and moved back towards their respective "roots".

Hehe, I love all of those albums smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2017 17:25

For ages, any album is seeminly to be judged against the example and concept of SGT. PEPPER, and how ARE YOU EXPERIENCED is going to succeed in that, I am not sure, but if we take the target more at home ground: after the release of SGT. PEPPER and ARE YOU EXPERIENCED, one can only imagine how dated and immature BETWEEN THE BUTTONS sounded like, with its little pop songs, naive experentialsim and musical unsophistication. No wonder that just a year after Jagger claimed not even remembering recording the whole album...

My picture is that the Stones had a kind of artistic crise (not that they didn't have some other problems as well) during the summer of 1967 - what to do next - how to discover a next in gear their motor in order to stay relevant and follow the quick evelopment of music under the umbrella notion of 'psychedelia' - that only not asked a whole new artistic imagination a'la SGT.PEPPER or instrumental excellence of new blues-based rock acts like Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Cream, which were taking especially the level of professionalism in concert performances to new hights. Pop music was quick reforming itself into a serious form of 'artistic expression'... The choice of the Stones was to follow the path of the Beatles as a full-time studio band, trying to excell the experimentalism there...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 17:45 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home