Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Ranking all the 373 Rolling Stones songs
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 7, 2017 21:58

you say yes i say no you say stop i say go go go oh no

“Those who believed that the Earth was flat had been staring at the exact same horizon as those who discovered that it‘s round.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 20:17 by hopkins.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 7, 2017 22:42

HMS
Dirty Work is an underated but very good album, a semi-classic, imo. DW is their best 80s album, no doubt about it. It rocks hard, it grooves like hell, it is raw, sleazy and full of anger, passionate singing and superb guitar attacks all over. I never understood how could there be so much hatred for a very good album. DW beats the hell out of any album they recorded afterwards. What makes people think One Hit, Fight, Winning Ugly, DW, Had It With You etc are bad songs? I´ll never know...
NO. It's NOT

Date: May 7, 2017 22:43

shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon
One that doesn't like Dirty Work is no Stones fan. Look out for Rod Stewart or The Eagles!

Joke of the year...

It must be, right?!

Date: May 7, 2017 22:43

Monsoon Ragoon
shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon
One that doesn't like Dirty Work is no Stones fan. Look out for Rod Stewart or The Eagles!

Joke of the year...

Sorry, that wasn't a joke ;-)
C'mon. It HAS to be, (right???!)

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:16

Monsoon Ragoon
The Rolling Stones songs Watching The River Flow (released as Ben Waters track) and The Rocky Road To Dublin (with The Chieftains) are missing, but Natural Magic and Key To The Highway (Stu only) are included, with no Stones member playing at all.

If you are missing these two songs (which aren't regular Rolling Stones-releases), then you should miss It's Not Easy, Wanna Hold You, Feel On Baby, Take It Or Leave It or What To Do even more. Oh, and the better version of Sing This All Together...

N

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 8, 2017 11:24

NeddieFlanders
Monsoon Ragoon
The Rolling Stones songs Watching The River Flow (released as Ben Waters track) and The Rocky Road To Dublin (with The Chieftains) are missing, but Natural Magic and Key To The Highway (Stu only) are included, with no Stones member playing at all.

If you are missing these two songs (which aren't regular Rolling Stones-releases), then you should miss It's Not Easy, Wanna Hold You, Feel On Baby, Take It Or Leave It or What To Do even more. Oh, and the better version of Sing This All Together...

N

They're are not regular Rolling Stones releases, but - songs. All members appear on both tracks. Sorry, I didn't notice what else is missing. That shows what bullshit this list actually is.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 8, 2017 11:35

NeddieFlanders
Monsoon Ragoon

N

Good call!

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 8, 2017 11:59

David Marchese must have spent a lot of time listening to the 373 Stones songs so that he could present his summation for all to see.
He however appears to criticise the vast majority of Stones songs as being inert naïve and lyrically lacking.
Beast of Burden being his number 3 choice is ridiculous and for that song to be classified as being superior to SFTD, JJF, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Honkey Tonk Women & Paint it Black
is beyond belief.
One could also find fault with many of his other choices and statements about the songs but everyone is entitled to their opinion and be shown respect but I do wonder if this chap actually listened to all 373 songs more than one time.

Ps - he has included many songs from Metamorphis which was an album of Stones songs written as Demos but not fully completed and should not be included in his list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 13:51 by stones40.

Date: May 8, 2017 12:07

stones40
David Marchese must have spent a lot of time listening to the 373 Stones songs so that he could present his summation for all to see.
He however appears to criticise the vast majority of Stones songs as being inert naïve and lyrically lacking.
Beast of Burden being his number 3 choice is ridiculous and for that song to be classified as being superior to SFTD, JJF, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Honkey Tonk Women
is beyond belief.
One could also find fault with many of his other choices and statements about the songs but everyone is entitled to their opinion and be shown respect but I do wonder if this chap actually listened to all 373 songs more than one time.

Ps - he has included many songs from Metamorphis which was an album of Stones songs written as Demos but not fully completed and should not be included in his list.

It's certainly superior to BS and HTW, imo. It would be in my top ten-list as well.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: May 8, 2017 19:08

Opinions are like @#$%&, everybody's got one...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 8, 2017 19:45

tatters
"Beast of Burden" is their 3rd best song ever? It's not even the 3rd best song on Some Girls.

Opinions stated as fact has officially started on this thread.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 8, 2017 19:58

It´s all just opinions, some do agree and some do not.
Beast Of Burden may belong to their 50 best songs (No.28 approximately) but their third best song? Oh no. It has a great intro but that´s it. Just an opinion.

Date: May 8, 2017 19:59

BamaStone
Opinions are like @#$%&, everybody's got one...

Yeap. I always love the way people attack anyone who makes this list because they don't agree wit his opinion but at the same time attack by offering their own opinions about the songs.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: May 8, 2017 20:05

stones40
Beast of Burden being his number 3 choice is ridiculous and for that song to be classified as being superior to SFTD, JJF, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Honkey Tonk Women & Paint it Black
is beyond belief.

Except for Don't Lie To Me, the tracks on side one of Metamorphosis don't even feature the Stones but instead feature session musicians backing Mick Jagger.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 20:21 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 8, 2017 21:09

generally speaking surveys dont work.

there is usually a bias towards younger generations opinion because there is more of them living, than the older generation. and those included in doing the ranking may have variable interest in the subject matter so its impossible to decide who should be allowed to rank all stones songs and who shouldnt.

in recent film surveys hitchcock classic vertigo was ranked at no1 of all time in a particular survey but in another survey of the 100 best films ever it didnt even get a mention, in fact only 1 hitchcock film got in the top 100, and that was notorious at 61. so that proves surveys are flawed.

personally ive never tried to rank all stones songs although i have taken part in threads on here which rank albums or maybe the top 5 or 10 stones songs, and if a lot of people take part then the results must have some meaning, but when a person listens to music the only thing thats important is that persons own opinion as music is subjective.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 8, 2017 22:52

Let's move Gimme Shelter up to #1.

That is the darkest, greatest rock song ever recorded!

Let's put Street Fighting Man at #2, then move Monkey Man up the list.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 8, 2017 23:39

stanlove
tatters
"Beast of Burden" is their 3rd best song ever? It's not even the 3rd best song on Some Girls.

Forum version :Beast of Burden isn't their 3rd best song ever.

stanlove version :In my opinion Beast of Burden isn't their 3rd best song ever.

Date: May 9, 2017 02:33

shortfatfanny
stanlove
tatters

Forum version :Beast of Burden isn't their 3rd best song ever.

stanlove version :In my opinion Beast of Burden isn't their 3rd best song ever.

Much better. But actually what I responded to was someone stating as a fact that Beast of Burden was not among the 3 best songs on the Some Girls Album.

Thats just an out in weeds opinion stated as fact.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 9, 2017 03:09

Beast of Burden is a great song but not number three. This list is ridiculous,

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 9, 2017 05:23

The whole listing and rating of songs or albums is stupid, music is what it is to wmeach listener.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 9, 2017 10:50

DandelionPowderman
stones40
Beast of Burden being his number 3 choice is ridiculous and for that song to be classified as being superior to SFTD, JJF, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Honkey Tonk Women
is beyond belief.

It's certainly superior to BS and HTW, imo. It would be in my top ten-list as well.

I agree. Isnt it a clever little song? It flows through the fingers when u play it and it suits the lyrics despite the theme.

Another song that deserves a too 150 is Miss Amanda Jones. I was wrong about that rocker. The "on and on " part is great.

Date: May 9, 2017 11:23

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
stones40
is beyond belief.

I agree. Isnt it a clever little song? It flows through the fingers when u play it and it suits the lyrics despite the theme.

Another song that deserves a too 150 is Miss Amanda Jones. I was wrong about that rocker. The "on and on " part is great.

I agree totally, on both counts thumbs up

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 10, 2017 12:40

Makes you wonder who is actually the right person to put all the so he in order. It would never be a right list because every age group has a different look on it.

Songs .ran different things to everyone . I say good on him for doing it

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 10, 2017 13:27

pgarof
Makes you wonder who is actually the right person to put all the so he in order. It would never be a right list because every age group has a different look on it.

Songs .ran different things to everyone . I say good on him for doing it

Yes, but as NeddieFlanders pointed out: it's a bit weak if you leave out songs like Feel On Baby, It's Not Easy, What To Do and a few others.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2017 14:37

Who needs a list ta tell ya which Stones songs are good .....
... It's like havin' ya grandmother tell ya who ya should be lovin' ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2017 15:02

Irix
stonehearted

File this list under the general dismissiveness of the casual fan.

Because among others:

"367. 'Key to the Highway', Dirty Work
This 30-second snippet is maybe too marginal to be ranked so harshly. Then again, it’s a wordless 30-second snippet that the Stones seemed to feel was worth appending to the end of one of their better albums of the ’80s, so render under Jagger what is Jagger’s."

The Editor of this list obviously doesn't know that 'Key to the Highway' was included as a memorial to Ian Stewart.

"183. 'It Must Be Hell', Undercover
Keith’s riff is a stepchild to the one that motorvates 'Start Me Up' and the shouted chorus kicks. AC/DC lite, in a good way."

And the Editor of this list has probably not heard the Riff of 'Soul Survivor' ....

The editor of that list is an idiot. Ranking anything from DIRTY WORK above the bottom is ignorant and obviously they're an idiot.

Date: May 10, 2017 15:04

Send It To me
Back to Zero in the top 100, ahead of The Last Time, Heart of Stone, Time is On My Side... This dude is just being an idiot on purpose to be "different"

Too familiar, innit.

Date: May 10, 2017 15:10

HMS
Dirty Work is an underated but very good album, a semi-classic, imo. DW is their best 80s album, no doubt about it. It rocks hard, it grooves like hell, it is raw, sleazy and full of anger, passionate singing and superb guitar attacks all over. I never understood how could there be so much hatred for a very good album. DW beats the hell out of any album they recorded afterwards. What makes people think One Hit, Fight, Winning Ugly, DW, Had It With You etc are bad songs? I´ll never know...

DIRTY WORK isn't underrated, it's not ratable. The reason you've "never understood how could there be so much hatred for" the worst Rolling Stones album ever is because you have no taste and like bad music.

You do know why. You've been told numerous times. Your opinion is wrong.

Date: May 10, 2017 15:14

potus43
Monsoon Ragoon
shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon

Joke of the year...

Sorry, that wasn't a joke ;-)
C'mon. It HAS to be, (right???!)

It certainly is a joke. A serious Stones fan would say such a horrible thing.

All 373 Rolling Stones songs ranked in order
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 6, 2017 06:13

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home