Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie Watts interview - The Times, May 5
Posted by: RedRedRobin ()
Date: May 5, 2017 03:17

Stones Back In The Studio ...

Source = [www.thetimes.co.uk]

- Robin smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 14:23 by bv.

Re: Stones Back In The Studio
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 5, 2017 03:33

Only the first two paragraphs of the article are available.

Could you possibly transcribe the rest here for those who wish not to register as instructed? You know, just as an added bonus for being registered here. smiling smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 5, 2017 04:36

Yes please!
(I also got cut off after 2 glorious paragraphs, Charlie Watt no less)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 04:38 by 35love.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 5, 2017 04:43

Charlie Watts: Me, retire? What am I gonna do? Mow the lawn?

The Rolling Stones drummer talks about touring, the problem with Prince’s underpants and why, at 75, he still won’t hang up his sticks

John Bungey
May 5 2017, 12:01am, The Times

It’s surprising to learn what Charlie Watts — drummer with that fine advert for an active old age, the Rolling Stones — can remember about his past. “I was born in 1941, and I do remember the Anderson [bomb] shelter and I remember planes going overhead in my nan’s back garden.”

And it’s surprising what he doesn’t. “I can’t really remember a lot about the Stones,” he says. “It was quite pleasing to me when we became successful in the Sixties. But I used to hate being recognised. When it was girls screaming down the street I felt very uncomfortable.” He shrugs. “To me it was so . . . unhip,” says Charlie the jazzman.

Unhip?

“Yeah to me Tubby Hayes [bebop saxophonist of the Sixties] was hip. Georgie Fame was hip. This bloody other world [of pop] was a bit minor to me. I’ve always felt like that.”

Watts and his fellow drummer Keith Moon of The Who in 1968
AVALON

Watts is not meant to be here to talk about that “bloody other world”. Instead he has a new jazz album to plug. There is also a Jazz FM gold award “for services to jazz and blues”, which he will be picking up later that day, to crow about. However, neither plugging nor crowing is his forte. He looks puzzled. “It’s rather ludicrous me getting the award. My contribution has been minimal . . . If it was for blues they could have given it to Freddy Below [Chuck Berry’s drummer].” Well yes, except he died in 1988. He smiles: “Still, in the end you just say thank you. What else can you say?”

Watts, courteous, affable, is the master of self-deprecation. At 75 he looks fantastic — slim, sharp suit, immaculate pinstripe shirt. His face is elegantly craggy, his silver-white hair clearly authentic — a Saga poster boy. We’re seated in the Stones’ management offices in London, a suite of rooms in muted greys. A silvered Jagger tongue logo over the reception desk gives a clue as to what goes on here.

Charlie Watts Meets the Danish Radio Big Band is a polished album of big-band arrangements that includes three Rolling Stones tunes. The other Englishman on it is Watts’s lifelong chum and unsung hero of British jazz, the bass player Dave Green. Watts has brought him along to join our chat. The pair talk enthusiastically about the impressive facilities and jazz funding they encountered in Copenhagen before Watts runs out of promotional steam. “It was a lovely week. Me and him had nothing to do with it. We were invited to turn up and play and it was great.”

Today Watts enjoys the life of a rural multimillionaire on an Arabian horse stud farm in Devon. He lives there with Shirley, whom he married in 1964, the one Stone who never kept rolling. It must all be very different, I suggest, from the Wembley prefabs where Green and Watts met, aged five, as neighbourly refugees from the bombsites. Neither, though, recalls postwar deprivation and soon they are reminiscing nostalgically like a couple of gents in the British Legion bar.

Dave: “It was great. It was a wonderful community because everybody had exactly the same, nearly all the same size gardens as well.”

Charlie: “Though we backed on to the woods, we were lucky.”

Dave: “Everybody was equal, it was a sort of utopia.”

Charlie: “Everyone had the same cupboards, two bedrooms, fitted kitchen. Mum was knocked out.”

Dave: “We had a refrigerator for the first time.”

Charlie: “Do you remember the ice cream? That was the big thing. It was modern luxury, more or less.”

Together the pair gravitated towards the jazz scene with Green swiftly establishing himself as a first-call player and soon a Ronnie Scott’s regular. I ask why Watts moved from the true path of jazz towards the rhythm and blues scene. “I think Dave thought it was sacrilege,” says Watts. Dave is too polite to answer.

“I didn’t pick the Stones. They picked me. I was in a few bands and the one that kept asking me to do gigs was the Stones. Brian Jones [the group’s founder] really pushed them. He’d write letters to the editor of the NME saying how good they were.”

Watts says he did not mind moving into the pop world because he was in the shelter of a band. “We were fortunate that we’d got two very good show-offs [Mick Jagger and Keith Richards]; well there’s three now with Ronnie [Wood].”

Pressed, Watts does come up with some career highlights. In 1964 the Stones shared a rehearsal room with James Brown for a California show. Watching the soul singer in his pomp was a revelation. So too was encountering Marvin Gaye. “In the mid Sixties he was phenomenal. One of the hippest people I ever met.”

Of a younger generation, Watts rated Prince. “We asked him to tour with us [in 1981]. Keith wasn’t too pleased but Mick and I loved his early stuff. Unfortunately it was the time that he was wearing a pair of knickers on the album cover [Dirty Mind]. He went on stage in his knickers, which didn’t go down too well. So the first show he got booed off — and the second. I don’t think he bothered with the next one, which is amazing because he was so good.

“Keith didn’t like him because of the underpants. He probably thinks different now.”

As for great Stones shows: “If you’d asked me a year ago I’d have said . . . what’s that one? Glastonbury. That was a pleasing day.” Last October the Stones played at the vast baby-boomer celebration, Desert Trip, in southern California. “That was an incredible thing too.”

With both Watts and Green three quarters of a century old, I ask how they keep fit. Neither has much of a secret. “He does it through work,” Watts says. “I do it through getting up early.”

How does that help? “Well I get a headache if I sleep too much . . . Keith and I used to sleep 12 hours round the clock.” Green says he goes for a half-hour walk — every two or three days.

Talk then turns to retirement and the evident impossibility of it. “Well I try at the end of each tour,” says Watts. “Keith says: ‘What are you going to do?’ I dunno, mow the lawn . . . so I don’t retire.”

I mention Bill Bruford, an ace jazz and rock drummer who quit seven years ago at 60, reluctant to see his technique decline. “Yeah, he was brilliant,” says Watts, “and I know what he means about the physical side — but it’s your whole life.”

Watts has long had a love-hate relationship with touring. “When I get a call to go and play for eight people in Croydon [I think we’re talking jazz here], you just worry. But when you’re up on stage and it’s going great, there’s nothing like it.”

As for the Stones, he compares a tour to army life. “You get your call-up, you get your kit together, you say goodbye to your wife and you come back two months later, hopefully with your limbs intact.

“It’s always been tough. The worst time is when you have a young child. I never took mine or my wife on the road. But if you take them like Ronnie — he lugs everything around, even his bloody easel to paint with — it’s not such a wrench. It’s admirable in one way, but I couldn’t work like that — too many distractions.”

The Stones in Quebec City, in 2015
C FLANIGAN/GETTY IMAGES

The Stones, he says, are going back into the studio and then will probably take to the road again. Like Bob Dylan, it’s as if there is no alternative. “Now it’s not so bad because we only do 10 or 15 shows. In the old days you’d get three sheets of dates and you couldn’t see the end.”

Sherry Daly, Watts’s charming but no-nonsense manager, then appears at the door to check that we have talked about the album. It’s also time to shepherd the drummer and Green off to the Jazz FM awards ceremony, and to prod the reluctant Watts towards the spotlight. Luckily, two of the “show-offs” from the Stones turn up to deflect attention. Wood and Jagger are here, with Watts, to collect gongs for best blues band and best album (Blue & Lonesome). Watts says a quick “thank you” but it’s Jagger who makes a speech about the Stones’ start in jazz clubs and hogs the limelight. That, you suspect, even on his big day, is how Charlie Watts, accidental celebrity, wants it to be.

Charlie Watts Meets the Danish Radio Big Band is out now on Impulse

Date: May 5, 2017 05:09

Fantastic article, loved it!
And am going to buy his jazz CD!
Somehow it slipped by me (has 3 RS songs, very cool)
I heart Charlie Watt.

Edit- not so easy to obtain a purchase of this music - no CD? Is it for sale?
LOL Charlie RS admin asked you if you marketed this! Where is it man? LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 05:14 by 35love.

Date: May 5, 2017 05:17

35love
I heart Charlie Watt.

You can find it on Amazon US or Amazon UK, among other shops.

Date: May 5, 2017 05:35

Cristiano Radtke
35love
I heart Charlie Watt.

Not so! MP3 only version, or join Amazon stream music service.
And the title's not so catchy.
Hmm maybe the brilliance is in having to hunt for it...

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 5, 2017 05:47

So there ... to all the naysayers ... there is more evidence ... They are planning on finishing it (the new studio album). There is no cancellation of it Lol

Ian

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: May 5, 2017 05:48

Lovely read, thanks RRRobin and Cristiano. Likely Charlie's lawn is a big one - if I could play drums I'd probably play rather than mow!

Date: May 5, 2017 05:53

35love
Cristiano Radtke
35love
I heart Charlie Watt.

I believe I pasted the wrong link. grinning smiley

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 5, 2017 06:33

really enjoyed that; thanks for pasting it! He just coughs up classic quotes and attitude by the pound here. I have no real clue as to what they might or might not have that they're gonna release, nor when or how they're working thru the process...
...there is actually no direct quote mentioning the recording process or being back in the studio; did I miss it? The writer here paraphrases him:
"The Stones, he says, are going back into the studio and then will probably take to the road again..."
great quotes; and a lot of little insights I'm loving for sure, but they are still not really releasing any information here are they? they will 'probably' take to the road; and Charlie says 10 or 15 shows is how they do that now, which we know; last year it wasn't near that many, including private affairs...but thats encouraging for sure. no clue as to if a tour wil promote a new album! or when there will be a new album... or a tour irrespective of that...nor how much might be done; if it's 2 or 22 in the running, or already recorded; or how any of that went down, or is going down and etc...so it's May and the writer felt secure enough about it to say they are to go back to the studio at some point somewhere to do exactly what I don't know...or it's one two or three or four of 'em going in to do whatever overdubs, or new basic rhythm tracks w drums, or really lol wtf is going on or how it goes on...or even when. Maybe this month? a clue about any song or style and etc...3 brand new babies have been released!!! well right on! I see two of them kids are already plucking guitars beween nappy changes...and perhaps about to go on tour...
hopin' they have a bunch of rhythm tracks the 2 glims like, or can fight over,,,or have their managers talk to each other about...haha...if even if M&K talk to each other haha....not a naysayer here; i just don't know;
but it's a pleasure he got that award; very cool that two of them came to support him! and that he's expressing his jazz roots w people he admires....that is so cool...and we see the classic Charlie sort of rolling his eyes as Mick clowns about; reminding me of those moments Bill and him would hang back and kind of smirk sometimes...lucky they have a couple of 'showoffs' lol...or those moments where he'd look at Mick act out during an interview/foto shoot and look at him like WTF!! oh no, w ron that's 3 showoffs. Charlie Watts. classic.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 07:08 by hopkins.

Date: May 5, 2017 06:34

Cristiano Radtke
35love
Cristiano Radtke
35love
I heart Charlie Watt.

I believe I pasted the wrong link. grinning smiley

[www.amazon.com]
I believe you are a gentleman with your thoughtful computer talent info.
YEA going to be cruising in my ride listening to Charlie's jazz in a few smoking smiley

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 5, 2017 06:50

IanBillen
So there ... to all the naysayers ... there is more evidence ... They are planning on finishing it (the new studio album). There is no cancellation of it Lol

Ian

They are certianly planning on finishing the new studio album. They just don't know when. I'd love to see them go in now. That's what it would take to get it out before a fall tour.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 5, 2017 07:50

mpj200
IanBillen

Ian

They are certianly planning on finishing the new studio album. They just don't know when. I'd love to see them go in now. That's what it would take to get it out before a fall tour.

thumbs up

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 5, 2017 07:57

Agreed . They need to go in now.. Otherwise it might not get done. Oh and btw... if they get into any sort of time crunch before hand on the impending tour.. there is nobody to blame but them.

They BETTER have plenty of time to cap this thing off .. otherwise it's their own fault.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 07:57 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2017 08:05

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2017 08:13

Relax guys all will work out okay .... We'll get a new Stones album ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2017 08:16

...Keith The Faith ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2017 08:16

Keef The Faith

Date: May 5, 2017 08:18

...hey yeah that's it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 5, 2017 09:07

Great read, Great Guy.
Jeroen

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 5, 2017 11:36

If they need the new album out in September, they will come back in the studio this month or in June with mixing process in July for sure!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 5, 2017 11:50

Great read. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 5, 2017 12:49

keef the faith..
until the rumor of an uncredited rumor of an unverified rumor tells that they hit another wall and call it quits
to the joy of some here

(sarcastic morning here, ibyp)

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: May 5, 2017 12:54

That was a great read indeed. Thank you.... cool smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 5, 2017 13:00

"Hit a wall" what a great title for a new album!smoking smileythumbs upgrinning smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 5, 2017 13:04

mailexile67
"Hit a wall" what a great title for a new album!smoking smileythumbs upgrinning smiley

+1 thumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: RedRedRobin ()
Date: May 5, 2017 14:04

Many thanks to Cristiano!

- Robin smoking smiley

Date: May 5, 2017 14:16

RedRedRobin
Many thanks to Cristiano!

- Robin smoking smiley

Thanks to you for point out that article. smileys with beer

Re: Charlie Watts interview - The Times, May 5
Posted by: BostonBob ()
Date: May 5, 2017 14:36

Agree Keef the Faith

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home