Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Totally Stripped CD - best live album of their career
Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: May 4, 2017 20:36

DandelionPowderman
Many cd players also play dvds. I listen to the stripped shows as regular cds. Check if your players are compatible.

Would probably have bought standalone cd releases of the shows anyway, though, had they bothered to release them smiling smiley

Maybe it will happen in the future since they are releasing some of the From The Vault releases as standalones now.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 4, 2017 21:10

Dandelionpowderman.

I didn´t mean to hurt you in any way.

I was just laughing at the memory of Keiths solo.

As I remember it, it was a disaster. But on the DVD it suddenly sounded fantastic.

As I remember it...from the youtube-clip...it was 20 seconds of noise. Simple as that.

Have a nice evening!

Date: May 4, 2017 21:20

Bjorn
Dandelionpowderman.

As I remember it, it was a disaster. But on the DVD it suddenly sounded fantastic.

As I remember it...from the youtube-clip...it was 20 seconds of noise. Simple as that.

Have a nice evening!

No offence taken, Bjorn smiling smiley

The solo was horrible indeed, but they deleted his "sour notes", he he.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 4, 2017 22:33

exilestones
VoodooLounge13
So is there extra content on the DVD/BR versions from Japan or only the additional CD songs on the bonus CD in Japan and then the exclusive Olympia set, too?

Japanese only “Totally Stripped” bonus CD (Super Deluxe Box)

1. Spider and The Fly (Amsterdam)
2. Slipping Away (Paris)
3. Sweet Virginia (Brixton)

Apparently these tracks were considered for the Totally Stripped CD but didn't make the final cut.
This exclusive CD was only available in the Japan only Box

Paradiso
They were an absolute MACHINE during those club shows. Lean, mean and tight as hell.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 5, 2017 00:55

exilestones
VoodooLounge13
So is there extra content on the DVD/BR versions from Japan or only the additional CD songs on the bonus CD in Japan and then the exclusive Olympia set, too?

Japanese only “Totally Stripped” bonus CD (Super Deluxe Box)

1. Spider and The Fly (Amsterdam)
2. Slipping Away (Paris)
3. Sweet Virginia (Brixton)

Apparently these tracks were considered for the Totally Stripped CD but didn't make the final cut.
This exclusive CD was only available in the Japan only Box

Paradiso

Yes, I understand that, thanks. My question was, is there anything extra on the Japanese DVD/BR's. So does it matter if I buy the DVD instead of the Blu-Ray to save some $$$ just to get these extra 3 songs if I already have the US version of the BR - that's really what I was asking. Or is there extra material exclusive to the Japanese DVD as well, that would require me to spend the extra to get the BR instead and then be able to play it in my US Blu-Ray player? Thank you kindly. smiling smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 5, 2017 00:59

the best live album of their career is gonna have bill wyman on bass. period.

i'll hold my lip about chuck. i like darryl i just think they use him for a specific steadying, reliable support; it's kind of way different. i think he could probably fly if they let him. they never will. not much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 01:03 by hopkins.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 5, 2017 01:29

The VL tour was the best since 1989, they were all in shape, Keith played great, Ronnie was still good, he did wonderful things, Mick and Charlie flawless! Unfortunately, Bill lacks and was a disappointment but paid back with great concerts. I saw them the second evening in Basel, a fantastic concert! Many pieces rarely performed live, I remember shine to light (great solo of Ronnie eh!), Like a rolling stone and sweet virginia. Fantastic !

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: April 15, 2020 22:20

Just watching totally stripped dvd... I go wild, you got me rocking.
Just a thought then is this the best the stones have sounded since 1989?

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 15, 2020 22:37

HMS praises LA Friday..Is he kidding? HTW is so debauched it practically shags itself. If you can't/Get off is great.... and then the drugs kick in. Nothing swings. It's clumsy, stilted, unlistenable. and in the video (yes I know it's a different night) Jagger galumphs about the stage like a drunken carthorse. he's a far better performer at 76 than he was at 32....

Totally Stripped is great and it sets a benchmark for all future Vault openings.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2020 03:02

Send It To me
Never got around to ordering Totally Stripped until now. Just got the beautiful boxed set and am playing the CD. Totally blown away by how good the band is playing on it and how good the recording is. Damn. No comparison to Havana Moon.

Oh.

HAVANA MOON?

Why bother?

Well.

You don't mention anything prior so... before 1995 was FLASHPOINT, which is OK (way better than the tripe release called SHINE A LIGHT); STILL LIFE, which I love but I know it's sloppy or... something; LOVE YOU LIVE which is sloppy and quite a mess, and, of course, GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!, which is excellent.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 16, 2020 04:14

The Stones career is over 45 years and touches generations of different fans with different musical sensitivities, each live should be contextualized. It makes no sense in my opinion to compare a live from the 60s with one from the 70s, as it doesn't make sense to compare a live from the 70s, with one from the 80s and so on ...
The world has changed, the music has changed, the concerts have changed, the Stones have changed, we have changed. But this does not mean that for some people the Cuban concert may not be the best thing they have seen, remaining indifferent to other live shows.
Live shows are concerts and each of us has his best memories for what he experienced firsthand.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 12:47

1969,1972,1973,1975,1978and1989 tours best live showsblow way Totally Stripped .Itis good though ,IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-16 13:04 by Taylor1.

Date: April 16, 2020 16:41

Production-wise, Stripped is better than Totally Stripped, imo - although I love both.

What's missing in the classic live albums (Ya-Yas, Brussels Affair, LYL, Live In Texas, Still Life - even in Live In England '65!) is the subtle and dynamic versions of the good stuff from the 1960s. We get a lot of that on Stripped and Totally Stripped.

Both live albums are treasures. Lovely versions of stuff like Spider And The Fly (unfortunaly, only on the dvd?), I'm Free, the acoustic Street Fighting Man, Wild Horses, Let It Bleed, Love In Vain, Down In The Bottom and Connection (with Mick and Keith sharing vocal duties). Not to forget the beautiful acoustic Beast Of Burden from Amsterdam!

In a way, this was exactly what was missing in the Stones canon, and I'm very happy they did it thumbs up

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 16, 2020 19:50

If we put aside 3 full concerts in superdeluxe edition, the realization of Totally Stripped as a single CD+DVD is a kind of missed opportunity.

The original idea behind Stripped was good. But the way they repack squeeze the juice out of the original idea. We got kind of boring live CD filled with known and released multiple times by 2016 warhorses (HTW, Miss You, JJF, Brown Sugar and Rambler took ~34 minutes and we do not really need to hear them once again). I'd prefer they carry on in Stripped Companion style, i.e. adding missing Tokyo and Lisbon sessions and rarely played tunes instead of warhorses.

The initial TV movie was interesting too. I like it better than current re-make.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 16, 2020 19:58

Best Live Album of Their Career? Stripped, Totally Stripped, Half Stripped. It doesn't matter. Ya Yas is their best live album. (Don't care if there were overdubs.) Ya Yas can't be bested, because that was from the ultimate version of the live Rolling Stones. Second Best would be Brussels '73. Third Best would be side 3 of Love You Live.

Date: April 16, 2020 21:39

Send It To me
powerage78
Gimme Shelter Amsterdam Paradiso 1995, best version ever with Ronnie IMO.

Absolutely no doubt on this.

As good as it is, the NO SECURITY version is stellar and miles above this one.

Date: April 16, 2020 21:45

Testify
The VL tour was the best since 1989...

Huh.

That's beyond profound.

Date: April 16, 2020 22:03

GasLightStreet
Send It To me
powerage78

NYC 75 (Hold On Tight) and LA 75 (LA Friday, from the audio release) are my favourites.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: April 16, 2020 22:07

I have said it here many times. I only started seeing shows is 89 so unfortunately I missed the prime era. But of all the tours since then VL was my favorite. To me that was their "older era" prime. Loved the shows (I saw 4). Not Fade Away and the set list in general. Lisa sounded and looked great. I just about wore out the VHS tape I bought at the Montreal show. (From giants stadium). Great memories and I enjoy watching those shows still.

Date: April 16, 2020 22:39

Bjorn
Dandelionpowderman.

Have a nice evening!

Hahahahaha I'm trying to remember this... now I have to see it. What is it from?

Date: April 16, 2020 22:44

24FPS
Best Live Album of Their Career? Stripped, Totally Stripped, Half Stripped. It doesn't matter. Ya Yas is their best live album. (Don't care if there were overdubs.) Ya Yas can't be bested, because that was from the ultimate version of the live Rolling Stones. Second Best would be Brussels '73. Third Best would be side 3 of Love You Live.

1. GYYYO!
2. Some Girls Live In Texas
3. No Security
4. Still Life
5. Love You Live

I still haven't been able to digest the other live releases yet, Brussells, LA Friday, Leeds/Roundhay, one of the Totally Stripped albums (the one with Shattered) etc. I've listened to them, have heard good and awful things on them...

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 16, 2020 22:56

The original Stripped was a mixture of live performances and remakes. I have to admit I was disappointed that the outtakes of the remakes did not appear...... Beast of Burden, Let It Bleed, No Expectations etc. And not all the live songs from those club shows are on it either! Nevertheless what they did release was something no one would have guessed in 1995.

Date: April 16, 2020 23:15

GasLightStreet
Bjorn
Dandelionpowderman.

Have a nice evening!

Hahahahaha I'm trying to remember this... now I have to see it. What is it from?

Must have been the OOC-'solo' that was edited for Havana Moon smiling smiley

Date: April 16, 2020 23:18

donvis
The original Stripped was a mixture of live performances and remakes. I have to admit I was disappointed that the outtakes of the remakes did not appear...... Beast of Burden, Let It Bleed, No Expectations etc. And not all the live songs from those club shows are on it either! Nevertheless what they did release was something no one would have guessed in 1995.

But not many of the Stripped Companion-tracks are very good, imo. One is awesome, and that one was finished and released in a movie (Honest I Do).

Date: April 18, 2020 17:55

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Bjorn

Must have been the OOC-'solo' that was edited for Havana Moon smiling smiley

I found it... I do recall this being giggled at back then. It's simply amazing how awful some of Keith's playing can be...

Especially starting at 5:22, which I'm guessing is what was edited somehow:

Posted by: RG ()
Date: April 18, 2020 23:52

One of my favorites!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:13

24FPS
Best Live Album of Their Career? Stripped, Totally Stripped, Half Stripped. It doesn't matter. Ya Yas is their best live album. (Don't care if there were overdubs.)

"Half Stripped" - LOL!

Personally, I love overdubs and edits. Whatever makes it better.

Brixton - WOW!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:16

GasLightStreet
Send It To me
powerage78

Gimme Shelter Amsterdam Paradiso 1995 didn't hit me as being great at first but now it's awesome!

The No Security Gimme Shelter is great. It was recorded Live at the 10 Spot. There was an official video which had the sound from the No Security album but the video footage was from St Louis. Anyone remember?

Date: April 19, 2020 01:42

exilestones
GasLightStreet
Send It To me
powerage78

Gimme Shelter Amsterdam Paradiso 1995 didn't hit me as being great at first but now it's awesome!

The No Security Gimme Shelter is great. It was recorded Live at the 10 Spot. There was an official video which had the sound from the No Security album but the video footage was from St Louis. Anyone remember?

What? That's hilarious. Why do they do that!? The 10 Spot sucked?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 19, 2020 16:42

24FPS
Best Live Album of Their Career? ...Ya Yas is their best live album...Second Best would be Brussels '73. Third Best would be side 3 of Love You Live.

Agree, agree & agree. Yayas, Brussels, Love You Live are my top 3. Live in Texas '78 is probably next. Still, Totally Stripped is still damn good, I guess it would be my #5 (any version, all 3 shows, etc.).

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home