Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Waiting on a Friend" - Eddie Vedder
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 1, 2017 16:59

Looks like a good time in Boston the other night.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: "Waiting on a Friend" - Eddie Vedder
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 1, 2017 17:33

This has been a regularly played song by Pearl Jam...somebody likes it loads!

Date: May 1, 2017 17:37

I've seen Eddie do Waiting on a Friend solo acoustic but not with a full band.
Love this!
Check out the other covers, they did.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 1, 2017 18:24

PJ gets a lot of hate on here, I don't get it. They have so many great songs!

Dissadent
Corduroy

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: May 1, 2017 18:29

I was there the other night. Pretty good version, ed has done it with PJ just 3 or 4 times. Best version was in Pittsburgh 2006 which was dedicated "to a little group called the Rolling Stones".

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: May 1, 2017 19:01

Nice piano. It sounded like the pianist threw in some licks from the chaotic outro of "On With The Show".

Date: May 1, 2017 19:16

I think they come more from a Who background but they've played Sympathy, Angie, Shattered, Tuesday, Shelter, Friend, and Burden...I know I'm missing 3 or 4 others they've tried to. Didn't they do Knocking sometime?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 1, 2017 19:46

Munichhilton
I think they come more from a Who background but they've played Sympathy, Angie, Shattered, Tuesday, Shelter, Friend, and Burden...I know I'm missing 3 or 4 others they've tried to. Didn't they do Knocking sometime?
Eddie is a well-documented Who fan:

[www.rollingstone.com]

However, I didn't realize that PJ had covered so many Stones songs as well.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 1, 2017 20:32

nice, thanks for posting.

Date: May 1, 2017 23:59

keefriff99
Munichhilton

[www.rollingstone.com]

Indeed, Ed is more a Who fan and they have played many Who covers . . . they haven't done much Stones covers. The lead guitarist, Mike McCready is a big Stones fan.

The above post is a bit misleading. They have played a snippet of Sympathy, snippets of Angie, Ed did a cover of Shattered with some female singer/comedian, Ruby Tuesday was a tag on the song Daughter, Gimme Shelter was also a tag on the song Daughter and Beast of Burden was an attempted cover but turned into an improv that meandered into another improv. Beast of Burden has also been played as a tag on a few different songs. They have never attempted Can't you Hear me Knocking.

The only full Stones songs Pearl Jam have covered are Waiting on a Friend and Street Fighting man. The latter was attempted twice in 1994 and after the 2nd verse both times, it fell apart and a long jam ensued. Recently, they put in some Jumping Jack Flash riffs into the intro of a song called Love Boat Captain.

For me, my favorite PJ rendition of Waiting on a friend is below, the first time they played it in 2006, in honor of playing with the stones in Pittsburgh 2005.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-02 00:01 by Mr. Jimi.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 2, 2017 00:07

Still proving why Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder are a rarity these days. GREAT people and some of the best big music celebrities out there these days. The Aerosmith Draw The Line touch at the end of his set is perfect.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 2, 2017 00:25

LeonidP
PJ gets a lot of hate on here, I don't get it. They have so many great songs!

Dissadent
Corduroy

It's not hate...

It's realistic.

Pearl Jam has some great songs.... I only recall "I'm Still Alive" at the moment and Eddy Vedder has (or had) a great voice (I remember him singing Wild Horses with the The Rolling Stones live. Real good.)

BUT...... Pearl Jam ain't no ROLLING STONES. Not in a 1000 Years.

Waiting On A Friend by Pearl Jam. Nice cover version of a great song by THE ROLLING STONES.

No hate intended. Just realistic.

Date: May 2, 2017 00:39

Mr. Jimi
keefriff99
Munichhilton

[www.rollingstone.com]

Indeed, Ed is more a Who fan and they have played many Who covers . . . they haven't done much Stones covers. The lead guitarist, Mike McCready is a big Stones fan.

The above post is a bit misleading. They have played a snippet of Sympathy, snippets of Angie, Ed did a cover of Shattered with some female singer/comedian, Ruby Tuesday was a tag on the song Daughter, Gimme Shelter was also a tag on the song Daughter and Beast of Burden was an attempted cover but turned into an improv that meandered into another improv. Beast of Burden has also been played as a tag on a few different songs. They have never attempted Can't you Hear me Knocking.

The only full Stones songs Pearl Jam have covered are Waiting on a Friend and Street Fighting man. The latter was attempted twice in 1994 and after the 2nd verse both times, it fell apart and a long jam ensued. Recently, they put in some Jumping Jack Flash riffs into the intro of a song called Love Boat Captain.

For me, my favorite PJ rendition of Waiting on a friend is below, the first time they played it in 2006, in honor of playing with the stones in Pittsburgh 2005.

[www.youtube.com]

Dang it, you've foiled my attempt at deception...not a big fan, just caught them live in San Diego 3 or 4 times in the early days. So did they ever play Knocking? I thought so...

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 2, 2017 02:43

Nice version. And excellent band. Maybe Pearl Jam ain't no Stones, but I really appreciate their music and their performances.

Date: May 2, 2017 03:19

RipThisBone
It's not hate...

It's realistic.

Pearl Jam has some great songs.... I only recall "I'm Still Alive" at the moment and Eddy Vedder has (or had) a great voice (I remember him singing Wild Horses with the The Rolling Stones live. Real good.)

Waiting On A Friend by Pearl Jam. Nice cover version of a great song by THE ROLLING STONES.

"Pearl Jam ain't no ROLLING STONES. Not in a 1000 Years."

Okay, but what about the past 25 years?

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: May 2, 2017 03:33

Here's a great WOAF cover:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 2, 2017 04:37

LeonidP
RipThisBone
It's not hate...

It's realistic.

"Pearl Jam ain't no ROLLING STONES. Not in a 1000 Years."

Okay, but what about the past 25 years?

Still not. The Stones are far more pop. But PJ is a damn solid outfit. Have they had any pop hits after Better Man? They strike me as a RUSH type band where the fans make the releases multi-platinum on the day of release but there is little airplay...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2017 05:06

I don't mind Pearl Jam, they had one or two (maybe three) decent tunes thanks to MTV in the beginning, but like U2 they have somewhat of a cult following and some of the fans get defensive about 'their' band.
Evidently David Letterman is a big fan. At the moment, I can only name Even Flow and I'm Still Alive...and Jeremy...all from their first album I think.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 2, 2017 07:03

Hairball
I don't mind Pearl Jam, they had one or two (maybe three) decent tunes thanks to MTV in the beginning, but like U2 they have somewhat of a cult following and some of the fans get defensive about 'their' band.
Evidently David Letterman is a big fan. At the moment, I can only name Even Flow and I'm Still Alive...and Jeremy...all from their first album I think.

A lot like people get defensive here about the Stones, no doubt.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 3, 2017 02:55

Never got Pearl Jam. They just never appealed. Re Vedder covering WOAF, another shaker or two of Maggie-ritas and I might dig it for the bar band sound it is, might even claim it better than the original. Re the Flea Bitten Dawgs version, wow, love it. C'mon now, y'all would love to hear the Stones reinvent some of their songs and play them like the Dawgs here. I knows I would.

Date: May 3, 2017 05:35

Munichhilton
Mr. Jimi
keefriff99
Munichhilton

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Dang it, you've foiled my attempt at deception...not a big fan, just caught them live in San Diego 3 or 4 times in the early days. So did they ever play Knocking? I thought so...

No worries. Nice PJ shows in San Diego are usually special nights since Vedder is kinda from there. (born in Chicago moved to San diego) were you at the famous 1995 Sports Arena shows? And no they never attempted Knocking. Really would want them to; Black Crowes can pull that off smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-03 05:38 by Mr. Jimi.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 3, 2017 12:25

Hairball

"Black" is an awesome song. Also from the first record.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 3, 2017 18:33

crholmstrom
Hairball

I had to look it up on youtube and do remember that song. Nice enough tune yes, but really hard for me to get past Vedder's wailing growl on this - maybe a bit of restraint would have served the song better?
The last half of the song is quite anthemic and classic, yet again Vedder's growling is WAY over the top to the point of being obnoxious imo. Had it been strictly an instrumental, it might be up there with some of the best rock instrumentals ever...maybe.

Date: May 3, 2017 20:06

crholmstrom

Think it's on their 2nd or 3rd album, but my first PJ experience was SNL:
Not For You, Saturday Night Live '94

I think they also did Rearviewmirror, which also kicked serious ass, another great one from PJ!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 3, 2017 20:19

I love when threads on this board swing a bit away from the original thread title. In this case, the results now allow me to say "I am officially a fan of The Flea Bitten Dawgs"! Thanks for sharing GS1978!!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 3, 2017 20:39

Wow, this thread has certainly taken a shift away from my original post.

I love that Flea Bitten Dawgs version! thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home