Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 27, 2017 23:00

24FPS
Hairball
Jimmy Page need look no further for a Plant replacement.
If Queen can attempt do it with Adam Lame-bert ( a horrible replacement imo), surely this would work on some level for Page and co.
Maybe shorten the name to 'Led Zep' to avoid confusion. winking smiley

The smartest thing Led Zeppelin did was quit when they were ahead. The Who have stumbled so much that they've obscured their true legend from the 60s and 70s. The Stones are getting near it. Jimmy Page, if he wants too, should tour with some crack musicians, but don't call it Led Zeppelin. That blimp has sailed.

Agreed about the Page part, disagree about the Who part, agree about the Stones part.
Ten years ago I might have agreed about the Who (I saw the most boring Who show you can imagine), but having recently seen them at last years Desert Trip shows, they're still very worthy.
I went in expecting nothing, but went aaway being blown away both weekends.

As for Led Zeppelin, I wouldn't say they quit when they were ahead - their last proper album was their worst imo. So they quit when Bonham died and the writing was on the wall - that blimp had sailed.
Hasn't stopped them from reuniting on several occasions though, with the last one at the O2 being the best of them all.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 29, 2017 21:52

There are pitfalls for a band like this. They have to keep their uniqueness intact. Mainstream is the big danger. They alegedly don`t sound similar to LZ only. Some say they also sound like Rush. "Meet on the Street" is viewed as their next single. Hmm, doesn`t this one already sound a bit like post-grunge/indie/hipster music? "Meet on The Ledge" is great. A song I wouldn`t have cared for hadn`t it been for this cover.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 30, 2017 01:00

noughties
There are pitfalls for a band like this. They have to keep their uniqueness intact. Mainstream is the big danger. They alegedly don`t sound similar to LZ only. Some say they also sound like Rush. "Meet on the Street" is viewed as their next single. Hmm, doesn`t this one already sound a bit like post-grunge/indie/hipster music? "Meet on The Ledge" is great. A song I wouldn`t have cared for hadn`t it been for this cover.

To me the music sounds most similar to the Black Crowes with Plant replacing Robinson in the studio. Live, when I first heard them, I thought Josh sounded more like Axl. That's just me, anyway, my wife says I'm going deaf due to me listening to too much loud music...(I think I just have selective hearing)grinning smiley

...Whatever, I really like these guys!!!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 30, 2017 18:07

If you grew up in the 70s this was every wedding,local carnival/fair or hall party band that you saw.the singer would try that Plant scream with verying degrees of success and the guitarist would wail away like Jimmy Page with popsicle sticks taped to his fingers.
The Rhythm section, well as always....sucks.
Some of these bands even got record contracts(remember Zebra),they all seem to have something in common,a terrible name and a bad Zep imitation.
When people say”sounds like Zep”I always think the same thing-“THIS is what you hear when Led Zeppelin are playing?”-that’s really sad.

Date: November 30, 2017 18:56

The Blimp Will be Back Next Year

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2017 19:21

noughties

Never thought of the Rush comparison, but yes the vocalist's squealing style is reminiscent of Geddy Lee a bit. But I recall back in Rush's early days, Geddy Lee was being compared to Robert Plant with his high pitched squealing (which to me sounded closer to Micky Mouse than Robert Plant). So now there's this young whippersnapper who is being compared to both of them - he has certain stylings of Plant and the helium inhaled vocals of of Geddy Lee. As for the band itself along with their songs, if I look at it as a tribute to all the true greats that came before them, I say more power to them - but there's still the lack of originality hurdle they need to leap over before they can ever come close to the greats. As of now, they could be filed under Neo-Retro-Vintage -Rock, but maybe they'll inspire other youngsters to carry on what they're doing and to come up with something absolutely fresh.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2017 03:36

I listened to the double ep 3 times on my 2 hour car ride today. All in all a great effort with some standout cuts. They're pretty young so if this is what they're doing at ages 21 and 18 it will be interesting to see the evolution in the next couple of years.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 7, 2017 01:03

treaclefingers
I listened to the double ep 3 times on my 2 hour car ride today. All in all a great effort with some standout cuts. They're pretty young so if this is what they're doing at ages 21 and 18 it will be interesting to see the evolution in the next couple of years.

Your right I will wait for the evolution of his voice/sound ...........the first song I did listen to sounded like the start of Immigrant Song (but as band it sound great)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 21, 2017 04:35

NICOS
treaclefingers

Your right I will wait for the evolution of his voice/sound ...........the first song I did listen to sounded like the start of Immigrant Song (but as band it sound great)

i'm just thrilled that there is a younger generation, albeit small, still willing to carry the torch.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home