Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT - Your "Once Was Enough" Concert List
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: May 1, 2017 16:21

Stevie Wonder
Billy Joel
Dire Straits
Springsteen
Red Hot Chili Pepper
Fogerty

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 1, 2017 16:28

Dave Matthews- Friend had an extra ticket so I went to tailgate. He is like a Deadhead in that he travels the country to go to Matthews shows. Very talented band but I find his music boring.

The Cure- Same deal, a friend with an extra ticket. Just not my cup of tea but the fans at the show loved it.

Dire Straits- Similar to Dave Matthews I find the music rather dull.

U2- Saw them twice again because friends were going and find their shows too much flash and not enough substance. I was more fascinated with their stage setups then their music which IMHO has lost their fire they had when they were starting out. I found their shows to be by the book greatest hits without much passion.

Sting- Took my wife to see him twice as she is a huge fan and I put his music in the same bucket as Dave Matthews and Dire Straits. Reminds me of elevator music.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-01 16:38 by oldschool.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 1, 2017 23:11

1963luca0
Stevie Wonder
Billy Joel
Dire Straits
Springsteen
Red Hot Chili Pepper
Fogerty

I agree on Red Hot Chili Peppers. Saw them on the Stadium Arcadium tour, which I think is a great album, and it was a wonderful show. But, again, once was enough.

I also didn't have much interest in seeing the recent Police reunion. Saw them on the Synchronicity tour (same show here in Atlanta that was released as a concert VHS), fabulous concert, but that's all I needed.

Same with Elvis Costello, really like his work, enjoyed him live one time, and I'm fine with that.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 1, 2017 23:13

Bruce Springsteen tops the list.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 1, 2017 23:28

Church

Nate

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 1, 2017 23:39

I truly think many people in this thread are getting artists they don't like with artists they only need to see once. I don't know how Bruce is on so many lists. I'm not saying its impossible, but if you're a fan I don't know how they think that. You wouldn't get even half his hits with just one show. Dave Matthews? You only go to Dave Matthews if you're a fan (I'm not). I've never heard of a fan going and saying once was enough. There's a major differnce between being a fan and knowing the band is only a one time see than tagging along and finding them boring and not worth a repeat visit. IMO of course.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 1, 2017 23:52

saw u2 in 1987, but was disapointed about the set list, very few songs pre 1984, and it didnt get any better when they released the next couple of albums, i thought they had lost something and figured any future gigs would reflect that.

echo and the bunnymen 1988. poor concert and no intention of repeating the experience.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 2, 2017 00:44

I know he's not ACTIVE in any sense of the word but saw Michael Jackson on 1984 tour. He was great but never needed to see him again.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 2, 2017 01:07

Van Halen with Hagar, ringo

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: May 2, 2017 01:08

RollingFreak
I truly think many people in this thread are getting artists they don't like with artists they only need to see once. I don't know how Bruce is on so many lists. I'm not saying its impossible, but if you're a fan I don't know how they think that. You wouldn't get even half his hits with just one show. Dave Matthews? You only go to Dave Matthews if you're a fan (I'm not). I've never heard of a fan going and saying once was enough. There's a major differnce between being a fan and knowing the band is only a one time see than tagging along and finding them boring and not worth a repeat visit. IMO of course.

Although that's probably true I think the real problem with this thread is that he has it backwards. If you think about it, I think you'll realize that the vast majority of bands that you've seen are "once is enough" and some of those fell into the "boring" category and in reality there are only a handful of acts that you've seen 3, 4 or more times. So.....that's what I think.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 2, 2017 02:42

I often return to my Van Morrison CDS, saw him once, with Beast by the way. Neither of us I think would need to see a second show.

Lou Reed is another artist that I may listen to hours at a time, saw him twice, once in Detroit in the 80's was almost painfully boring.

Dylan's recorded work is dear to me I have given him multiple shots, and after the last in NZ a few years ago, never again.

I think one of the things that ties the three together is their almost absolute disdain of the audience. Our presence was superfluous to the event. In fact, Van Morrison pointed out that the men on stage were professional musicians dependant on their hearing, and asked us to quit applauding between songs!

A far cry from Patti Smith 3 weeks ago screaming " come on mother f$%*ers, get up ..." and urging us all to the front of the stage.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 2, 2017 02:47

Many...

Some of them:

U2
Bob Dylan
RHCP
AC/DC
Macca

Posted by: aggiebob ()
Date: May 2, 2017 03:14

Once was enough ...

Dave Matthews Band
Billy Joel
Foreigner
Metallica
U2
Stevie Nicks
Joe Walsh
Steve Winwood

Once is enough - performers I like but wouldn't pay to see more than once on a tour because they play the same set night after night after night ....

Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Eric Clapton
Dire Straits (retired)

Most disappointing .... once was enough ....

Brian Wilson 2017 (Pet Sounds live is just plain boring)
Rolling Stones 1975 (sloppy and uninspired in San Antonio '75)

Once is never enough ... I pay or paid to see multiple shows every tour:

Rolling Stones
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band (retired)
Stevie Ray Vaughn (deceased)
Tina Turner (retired)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2017 04:20

I would add John Fogerty: I love CCR and some of his solo, but once was enough!
Also Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: Not a big fan, but he opened for and backed-up Dylan in '86. Once was more than enough!
Elton John: A trip down memory lane and a great piano player -once would have been enough, but my wife loves him so we''ve seen him three times!
Robert Plant solo - mid '80's. I know his solo shows have changed alot since then, but with youtube it's easier to make a decision - once was enough.
*(I've seen him with Page several times - totally different experience and would happily see them again - it just might happen!).
Crosby, Stills, and Nash - have seen them a couple times, but once would have definitely been enough.
But when Neil Young is involved (CSNY) a totally different and have seen several times - would happily see them again.
Tony Bennett - took my mom to see him about 20 years ago. Once was enough for me, but she would have loved to see him again.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 2, 2017 04:23

Aerosmith

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 2, 2017 04:26

aggiebob
Once was enough ...

Dave Matthews Band
Billy Joel
Foreigner
Metallica
U2
Stevie Nicks
Joe Walsh
Steve Winwood

Once is enough - performers I like but wouldn't pay to see more than once on a tour because they play the same set night after night after night ....

Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Eric Clapton
Dire Straits (retired)

Most disappointing .... once was enough ....

Brian Wilson 2017 (Pet Sounds live is just plain boring)
Rolling Stones 1975 (sloppy and uninspired in San Antonio '75)

Once is never enough ... I pay or paid to see multiple shows every tour:

Rolling Stones
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band (retired)
Stevie Ray Vaughn (deceased)
Tina Turner (retired)

Bob Seger is not retired. new album due out soon with tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2017 04:35

More Hot Rocks
Aerosmith

Yes, and I didn't go specifically to see them - Guns and Roses opened for them in '88 and were great.
I did see G'N'R open for the Stones '89 and that time they were horrible.
Both Aerosmith and G'n'R easily fall under the 'once was enough' list.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2017 08:15

laertisflash
Many...

Some of them:

U2
Bob Dylan
RHCP
AC/DC
Macca

I'd see all these again, maybe not the Chili's (tho' I haven't seen them so I don't know for sure.

My list includes Clapton, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Paul Simon, Neil Diamond, Pretenders, Paul Simon...can't remember the rest!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 2, 2017 09:16

Springsteen (impressive but didn't enjoy the experience much)
Neil Young (ditto)
The Police (simply boring live)
Madness (like the records - felt very out of place among their fans)

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 2, 2017 09:53

Chuck Berry
John Fogerty
Santana
GnR
DMB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-02 09:57 by ab.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 2, 2017 10:08

Mongoose
A band or artist that you have seen one time, enjoyed it, but you have sort of a "been there, done that" feeling about them. Nothing at all wrong with the show, but once was enough.

The one caveat is that it should be bands and artists that are still active.

My list:

...Mumford and Sons...

What's yours?

Cheers.....

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 2, 2017 10:11

saltoftheearth
Mongoose
A band or artist that you have seen one time, enjoyed it, but you have sort of a "been there, done that" feeling about them. Nothing at all wrong with the show, but once was enough.

The one caveat is that it should be bands and artists that are still active.

My list:

...Mumford and Sons...

What's yours?

Cheers.....

[Sorry, pressed too early so the last post is 'empty'].

Saw Mumford and Sons at one of their greatest concerts ever in a small Theater in Paris. I do not think they could replicate this in a big stadium so I would not go again.

Date: May 2, 2017 10:59

I didn't really have a choice, as they warmed up for the Stones, but I won't be seeing Dan Reed Network again..

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 2, 2017 16:58

Jason Isbell

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 2, 2017 18:25

Green Lady
Springsteen (impressive but didn't enjoy the experience much)
Neil Young (ditto)
The Police (simply boring live)
Madness (like the records - felt very out of place among their fans)

Obviously forgot to wear your Crombie & Dr Martens.......... ........I wouldn't suggest you have Brothel creepers........winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-02 19:36 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 2, 2017 19:28

I'm going to see The Shaggs this summer. I have a strong feeling once will be enough.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 2, 2017 20:00

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Pablo Cruise
The Police
The Beach Boys without no Wilsons
Credence Clearwater Revisited (No Fogerty)
Molly Hatchet
Gary Rossington's current version of Lynyrd Skynyrd - in fact, any LS post-1977

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 2, 2017 20:48

Springsteen, U2, Aerosmith.

Actually, once was more than enough.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 2, 2017 22:41

Foreigner - saw in 1985
Phil Collins - Saw around 1990
Stevie Nicks - last December. I'll go to see her w/Fleetwood Mac
Pretenders - opened for Stevie Nicks. Wouldn't pay to see them as a headliner but if they're an opening act for someone I won't mind.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 2, 2017 23:25

I can't think of anyone I would want to see more that once nowadays everything is so predictable - you have youtube and setlist websites just not the same anymore in my opinion... but I would go see the stones again if the opportunity arises yea i'm a hypocrite...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2028
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home