Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - Your "Once Was Enough" Concert List
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 3, 2017 08:19

Charlie Watts.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: May 3, 2017 13:52

My "once was enough" list has

Bob Dylan (Munich, around 2009) and
Ramones (Munich, 90ies, farewell tour) on it.

His Bobness was boring as hell and seemed to hate the audience, the Ramones were four old men hating each other (and sounding alike). Glad I saw both acts anyway.

On the "once was once too much" bill I have
Sex Pistols (around 1994, "we´re only in for the money...")
Rammstein (early 90ies, @#$%& Reichsparteitag-clowns-stage-show) and
Scorpions (ca 1988, the wind of change still in my underwear..., highly pathetic).

Hmmm, I seem to like shitlists...

Cheers, Fillmore

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 3, 2017 16:19

Almost all rock and popartists...they are trying to sound like on their discs, and it becomes just sad ... one exception is Bob Dylan ... Jazz artists who build their performances on improvisation are my melody ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 4, 2017 14:49

Elvin Bishop

New Riders of the Purple Sage

The Who

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 6, 2017 01:26

[www.youtube.com]
Elvis Presley - Once is Enough

(one of the best sax solos on a rock n' roll record?; the coda too! Recorded '63; Bobby would eventually get to this general zone and sound about 5 years later...
...the rest sort of typical tripe ala the 'pictures,' as he called them; which means, in some cases, super great!! in spite of himself and management)

Seriously check this out; this guy is TOTALLY rockin' w bigass swing, here's the first solo:
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-07 09:51 by hopkins.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 6, 2017 04:41

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out One of the most amazing things about this thread is every time I read the new posts, I am reminded of artists I have seen and forgotten about. I guess that's a great screening process, if you don't remember going to the concert until somebody else brings up the artist name, once is probably more than enough.

Date: May 7, 2017 05:23

tatters
The Grateful Dead. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, or find the experience worthwhile. It's just that it didn't seem like an experience that beared repeating.

I thought you were saying:
It's just that it didn't seem like an experience: that bearded repeating.
LOL, haha..summing up the Dead "That Bearded Repeating"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 7, 2017 05:28

Palace Revolution 2000
tatters
The Grateful Dead. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, or find the experience worthwhile. It's just that it didn't seem like an experience that beared repeating.

I thought you were saying:
It's just that it didn't seem like an experience: that bearded repeating.
LOL, haha..summing up the Dead "That Bearded Repeating"

I was saying that it didn't bear repeating.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2017 06:11

Agree about the Grateful Dead - saw them once in 1978. I do love alot of their studio stuff, but live they were...slightly boring really.
I then saw Phil Lesh and Friends in 2000 (co-headline with Dylan), and more of the same endless Dead style jams - even less exciting than the Grateful Dead were.
If I never see anything Grateful Dead related again, I won't lose any sleep over it. If I do see anything Grateful Dead related again, it will be nothing but sleep.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 7, 2017 06:27

Bob Dylan
Grateful Dead (once was too much)

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 7, 2017 06:43

I saw the Stones in '89.
Feels odd to say this now, but at the time I thought I was getting to see them before they stopped.
It was a good show, but felt at the time I was just happy to see them and it was all good at that. I had a couple of chances to see them since them but am not really a concert-goer these days and passed.
Others, I saw Iggy Pop with Jane's Addiction -- would definitely have seen Iggy again but Jane was just noise to me.
I saw Dylan and Steve Earle -- enjoyed Steve Earle more.
Saw Springsteen, once -- loved the first act, grateful for the experience, but then he wouldn't stop playing and I wanted to go home.

Although I love the Stones I would rather go down to the local bar and watch an amateur band that do the stadium thing with the Stones.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 7, 2017 08:48

wonderboy
I saw the Stones in '89.
Feels odd to say this now, but at the time I thought I was getting to see them before they stopped.
It was a good show, but felt at the time I was just happy to see them and it was all good at that. I had a couple of chances to see them since them but am not really a concert-goer these days and passed.
Others, I saw Iggy Pop with Jane's Addiction -- would definitely have seen Iggy again but Jane was just noise to me.
I saw Dylan and Steve Earle -- enjoyed Steve Earle more.
Saw Springsteen, once -- loved the first act, grateful for the experience, but then he wouldn't stop playing and I wanted to go home.

Although I love the Stones I would rather go down to the local bar and watch an amateur band that do the stadium thing with the Stones.

I pretty much agree

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 7, 2017 15:19

Lifelong fan but only saw the Stones once. Went all out in 1989 and got great seats, we had a beautiful night and I figured that was good enough. I thought that Steel Wheels stage was pretty amazing - like a worn out factory - I could not get over the size of the thing. I would love to see them in a club gig or something, but one show with 90,000 others was enough for me LOL

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 7, 2017 16:52

Deep Purple back in the 70's.

My eardrums have never been the same. winking smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 7, 2017 17:07

Rush on the Power Windows tour at the Brendan Byrne Arena. I wasn't a fan but I respected them as musicians. Anyway, the sound was so over the top loud that I couldn't even tell what they were playing unless I put my fingers in my ears to muffle the din. And of course, they are one of those bands who make everything sound exactly like the records so there's so excitement of hearing anything sound different or unique. Not my cup of tea.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:33

Bob Dylan
The Cure
Bruce Spingsteen
U2

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:49

DaveG
Springsteen.

I would go as far as to say that once was nearly too much in fact ... I was every bit as bored and spectacularly underwhelmed with Springclean as I was with Jeff Beck, who for some stupid reason I've seen twice (and walked out both times) !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 7, 2017 23:52

Chuck Berry. Early 80s. Spent most of the show stopping songs to berate the band for not playing to his satisfaction. Think of the rehearsal scene in Hail Hail Rock n Roll, except in front of a paying audience. I don't think he played a complete song all night. His big finish was one verse and one chorus of Johnny B Goode, after which he unplugged and walked offstage leaving the band to finish. The man was a true poet and THE King of Rock and Roll, but this was easily the most unprofessional and disappointing concert I've ever seen.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 10, 2017 16:36

Thankfully, I can say there were not many music artists in this category.

Bruce Springsteen (the Christmas show at the O2 Arena London). Distinctly unenamoured.

The Police
Fleetwood Mac
Jeff Beck
Sparks
Paul Weller
Gary Numan

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-10 16:36 by SonicDreamer.

Date: May 10, 2017 17:44

Foo Fighters

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 14, 2017 01:56

Doobie Brothers(w/Michael McDonald)
Eric Clapton(flawless guitar but boring as watching paint dry)
Alice Cooper
ZZ Top
Phil Collins
Journey
Red Hot Chili Peppers
GNR
Dave Matthews Band

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home