Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Your "Once Was Enough" Concert List
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 30, 2017 21:31

A band or artist that you have seen one time, enjoyed it, but you have sort of a "been there, done that" feeling about them. Nothing at all wrong with the show, but once was enough.

The one caveat is that it should be bands and artists that are still active.

My list:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Billy Joel
Paul Simon
U2
The Pretenders
Bob Dylan
Arcade Fire
Mumford and Sons
The Decemberists

What's yours?

Cheers.....

Re: OT - Your "Once Was Enough" Concert List
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 30, 2017 21:37

Sadly - Dylan. Unintelligle, delivered in a monotone. I'll enjoy the studio stuff and leave it at that in future.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 30, 2017 21:40

The Rolling Stones

After having been a fan for more than 30 years, I finally caught a show in 2013. It wasn't a stadium, but an arena. They had Mick Taylor as a guest, and Bobby Keys on sax. Midnight Rambler sounded just like the one from Hot Rocks. And they played Memory Motel.

It couldn't get any better than that. And it could never happen like that again.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2017 21:43

The Eagles - 10 years ago during one of their reunions. Sterile and dull live - could have stayed at home and listened to their Greatest Hits album and it would have been just as exciting.

Paul McCartney - Once might have been enough, but have seen him three times. Vegas about 10 years ago (dull), Dodger Stadium about four years ago (much better), and the more recent Desert Trip I (a near replica of Dodger stadium - predictable), and a partial show at Desert Trip II (boring, left early). Dodger stadium was the best of all, so am glad I made the effort after the dull Vegas show.

U2 in 1983 (at US 83 festival)- great show when they still mattered, never bothered to see them since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-30 21:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 30, 2017 21:48

Kiss

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 30, 2017 22:20

Actually, for me, I'd say almost everyone. I don't like going to see the same acts multiple times. Now, obviously the Stones are different at 13x. The others whom I have seen more than 1x are: Bon Jovi (2), Billy Joel (2 - I still want to see at MSG), Matisyahu (3), Beck (3), Aerosmith (2).

That being said I would go see Springsteen again in a heartbeat. I saw him at the old Giants Stadium in NJ, so any other show would also need to be in NJ - though they all seem incredible, it would be hard to compete with that. I would also go see The Black Crowes again, and I'm sure I'll catch Matisyahu a few more times before all the air exits my lungs.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 30, 2017 22:39

VoodooLounge13
Actually, for me, I'd say almost everyone. I don't like going to see the same acts multiple times. Now, obviously the Stones are different at 13x. The others whom I have seen more than 1x are: Bon Jovi (2), Billy Joel (2 - I still want to see at MSG), Matisyahu (3), Beck (3), Aerosmith (2).

That being said I would go see Springsteen again in a heartbeat. I saw him at the old Giants Stadium in NJ, so any other show would also need to be in NJ - though they all seem incredible, it would be hard to compete with that. I would also go see The Black Crowes again, and I'm sure I'll catch Matisyahu a few more times before all the air exits my lungs.

You just came up with a darn good Country song title:

"Before All the Air Exits My Lungs"

smileys with beer

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 30, 2017 23:52

Frank Zappa in the late 1970s plus Bob Dylan plus Eric Clapton with Derek Trucks in this decade.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 30, 2017 23:59

The Grateful Dead. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, or find the experience worthwhile. It's just that it didn't seem like an experience that beared repeating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-01 00:01 by tatters.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 1, 2017 00:13

Springsteen.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 1, 2017 00:22

SO many. Its easier to describe the ones that aren't:

Petty
Fleetwood Mac
The Stones (I'm sorry, I'm a younger fan and in the last 15 years I saw no reason to see them a second time. The ONLY thing that made me was Mick Taylor. Once generally gets the job done, cause of price and little setlist changing).
AC/DC
Bon Jovi
Bob Seger
Def Leppard
McCartney
Steve Miller
Fogerty
Guns N Roses
The Who

Is just a small smattering of what I remember.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 1, 2017 00:24

Eagles was as above, monotonous and without feeling they were enjoying their 'History' tour.
I had tickets for two nights and gave the second night away

Don Henley solo last month , however, was amazing!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 1, 2017 00:24

I have seen some of these folks more than once, but, re who I would consider "been there, heard that", I'd say Dylan, even though reviews of his current shows say he is performing great; Springsteen, who, with the exception of the Seeger Session tour, has been doing the same bit for years; Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers who bored the tears out of me the last time I saw them and, from reviews of their current tour, I wouldn't see now; the Stones because I have heard enough of the hits and obligatory Keith and want fresh stuff for my listening pleasure; Fleetwood Mac with Buckingham and Nicks who, back in their really popular heyday, played one of the most lackluster concerts I ever saw at the old Cap Centre in Largo, Maryland. Yet, I have seen Lindsey Buckingham solo three times and was blown away by his playing and show. Go figure.

I would not waste time or money on The Eagles, though, I loved their early albums. I will say the same re Dwight Yoakam. Absolutely rocked out at his shows when he was still had Pete Anderson in the lineup. Dwight ain't been the same since he split with Pete.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 1, 2017 01:24

SomeTorontoGirl
Sadly - Dylan. Unintelligle, delivered in a monotone. I'll enjoy the studio stuff and leave it at that in future.

+1!!!!

Dreadful and deeply disappointing experience.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 1, 2017 07:40

Paul McCartney -- wonderful and nostalgic, but arrangements were too similar to the records.
John Fogerty -- same reasons as above
Eric Clapton -- Mid 80s. Predictable setlist with terrible pacing - rocker, ballad, rocker, ballad.....
Lucinda Williams -- She's so uncomfortable as a performer that it made me uncomfortable.
Ryan Adams -- He just didn't seem to give a f*#%
The Wallflowers -- Saw Bringing Down the Horse Tour. What happened since?

T@3

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 1, 2017 07:53

Guns and Roses
Aerosmith
Roger Waters
John Fogerty
Steve Miller
Tony Orlando
Tony Bennett
George Thorogood
Lynyrd Skynyrd (saw 1987, never should have)
Fleetwood Mac
Reba McIntire
Brooks and Dunn
Neil Diamond
Ringo Starr (good show, satisfied, but been there, done that)
Bruce Springsteen
Billy Squier
Pretenders
Jimmy Buffett
Go Gos
Sparks
Bryan Adams

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-01 07:59 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 1, 2017 08:20

Bruce; I saw him in '84, Born In The USA tour without Miami Steve, or Little Steven. It was so good in places, I was really very moved. It was a really good show, and the encore tunes when they turned the lights up and everybody was dancing, and you could see everyone in the place, the audience as brightly lit as the stage and etc....it was spectacular. There a couple of moments of real emotion there for me, really moving....i know it sounds contrary to the above statement but I also spent several songs wandering around the arena in refreshment areas and outside the main arena...enough was enough after awhile....but I did love it and have nothing bad to say about it; and am very glad I got to experience it, especially only a couple of years after The River, which was sort of like the peak for me with him. From Born To Run through, and including The River albums (that double live one too with a ton of River songs live!!) other than that, tho I did like Lucky Town with a different and more stripped down band, and I do like him and respect him and like various songs from various eras and all that...but I had no desire to see him again and have not;

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: May 1, 2017 10:17

Elton John
Bob Dylan
Genesis (fell asleep half way through !)

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 1, 2017 10:20

I think there's a big difference between ''Once was too much'' and ''Once was enough'', most concerts fall in the first category.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 1, 2017 10:57

TheBlockbuster
I think there's a big difference between ''Once was too much'' and ''Once was enough'', most concerts fall in the first category.

The Rolling Stones
Once was enough, twice was too much. Couldnt wait to leave. I was really bored all the time and the ending was torture. Brown Sugar JJF etc. 1998 was the second and last time for me.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 1, 2017 11:32

Keith Richards 1992 : it was loud, monotonous and slightly tedious (sorry Keef!) grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-01 11:34 by dcba.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 1, 2017 11:48

Santana in the late 70's when he was under the influence of Sri Chinmoy .,...

They came on all dressed in white and it was all chimes and bell ringing ...
The whole place was dozing after about 15 mins .,..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz YAWN

ROCKMAN

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 1, 2017 12:29

Frankly, there are only a handfull of bands that I care to see more than once. I guess
what is needed (for me), is a certain involvement with the band and its members.
It's not just being there for the music, but also to see how the band is doing.
Like a meeting with family or friends. Part of the joy is to see the loved ones in the flesh.
If that part is missing, because the band consists of crafted but boring characters,
I am satisfied by witnessing them once and from then on, I'll stick to listening to
recorded music.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 1, 2017 12:49

Eric Clapton,Mark Knopfler.
Jeroen

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 1, 2017 14:16

AC/DC About 20 years ago. It was fun, and they played well, and I like their music, but I also felt slightly ridiculous, partly because of all th hard-rock youngsters from the country-side in their hard-rock clothes, partly because of their act, which included the guitar player during one of his soloos, pulling down his shorts to show his underpants...
Motorhead About 12 years ago. Also fun, but basically, hearing Ace of Spades and Killed By Death is good enough, I didn't need to hear their other songs.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 1, 2017 15:11

Right, AC/DC, too. They played as an opener for the Stones at Hockenheim racing circuit. I was really curious and they put on the whole program like the Hells Bell, played a full hits 100 minutes set and so on. Quite exciting to watch.
And my friend with me said something like I wonder how the Stones can answer that. Easily, I said. No matter how good this was you'll find out that AC/DC actually only had two decent songs (the rest sounded alike...) but the Stones 20.
As I said above quite exciting to watch - I didn't say quite exciting to hear.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 1, 2017 15:46

1. Springsteen

2. Brad Paisley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 1, 2017 15:49

The Sex Pistols - it took me three days to get all of that gob and snot outta me hair an' clothes.................tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-01 15:50 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 1, 2017 15:53

Eric Clapton. It was note for note perfect, but super-expensive and dull. No stage show whatever.

Date: May 1, 2017 15:59

Level 42 somewhere in the 8-tees. Great studio band, but live it collapsed like a pudding. Mark King's slap-bass couldn't save it.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home