Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 82
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter European Tour 2017
Date: September 13, 2017 17:31

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
Let's do that hearing check again - this time with Mr. D smiling smiley

Yes, no confusion there--very recognizable--which is one of the reasons I didn't list that song in my original quintet of 'what's that song?' contestants.

I don't know what you're not recognising here, my friend, but I'll happily assist you with examples. Here's a bad recording of TD from Munich.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: pospi ()
Date: September 13, 2017 20:16

RoughJusticeOnYa
jackflash27
Right now pit tickets Arnhem available!

Cheerz for that, Jack!
I managed to upgrade 3 seats to 3 Pit's, for just a minor amount (30€ p.p.)...
Good value for money, I'd say. smoking smiley

Oh, happy day!

How have you done that? Did you call them or what? i called them today and they told me they'll write me tomorrow if that's possible.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 13, 2017 22:29

pospi
RoughJusticeOnYa
jackflash27

Cheerz for that, Jack!

Oh, happy day!

How have you done that? Did you call them or what? i called them today and they told me they'll write me tomorrow if that's possible.

Yep; I did.
Girl on the other end reserved Pit tix for me;
I now have to pay for them, after which my seats will be cancelled and i'll get that money back.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: September 13, 2017 22:33

DandelionPowderman
Thommie
marcovandereijk
I don't remember they toured Europe this late in the year before, and judging by the
youtube videos, I must say it is really cool to see them starting after daylight is gone.
The big screens, the fireworks, the lighting, it all creates a great atmosphere right
from the start.

They did in 1973 but that was another era (indoor arenas and no screens) which can't be compared by this one.

Luckily, it's not as cold as on this tour grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah, the coolest show they ever done?
But really bad luck with the weather this tour so far. September often is great even in northern Europe. But not this year, the first time they tour Europe this late, for several outdoor shows.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 13, 2017 22:36

Fillmore
I said it before, SFTD is a brilliant opener – just as many other songs would be. The first sound you wanna hear in a Stones concert is not necessarily a drumloop – or Chuck L. Great start anyway. Maybe even here a slightly slower version would even improve the groove – again just my five cents.

Good observation. That's why I would prefer them dusting off the 1969 live version of Sympathy.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: September 13, 2017 22:44

RoughJusticeOnYa
pospi
RoughJusticeOnYa
jackflash27

Cheerz for that, Jack!

Oh, happy day!

Yep; I did.
I now have to pay for them, after which my seats will be cancelled and i'll get that money back.

It seems people have different experiences, this one's from Arnhem thread:

Posted by: thorgal34 ()
Date: September 13, 2017 01:48

Strange, I asked ticketmaster.nl if there is possibilty to pay difference and change Premium STanding to No Filter Pit ( as in Sweden) but there is no such possibilty. Why Ticketmaster.se can and Ticketmaster.nl can not?? It's the same company :/

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 13, 2017 23:01

Adams
RoughJusticeOnYa
pospi
RoughJusticeOnYa
jackflash27

Cheerz for that, Jack!

Oh, happy day!

Yep; I did.

It seems people have different experiences, this one's from Arnhem thread:

Posted by: thorgal34 ()
Date: September 13, 2017 01:48

Strange, I asked ticketmaster.nl if there is possibilty to pay difference and change Premium STanding to No Filter Pit ( as in Sweden) but there is no such possibilty. Why Ticketmaster.se can and Ticketmaster.nl can not?? It's the same company :/

Yep; I read that too (just now.)
I can only confirm the 3 Pit's are reserved in my customer's account (I checked that, after the phone call.)
I will contact them again tomorrow, before actually paying for them - to have the arrangement reconfirmed;
But the girl on the phone told me the 'other' (seat) tix can simply be 'invalidaded' - after which it's only a matter of getting my money back for those.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 13, 2017 23:04

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Yes, no confusion there--very recognizable--which is one of the reasons I didn't list that song in my original quintet of 'what's that song?' contestants.

I don't know what you're not recognising here, my friend, but I'll happily assist you with examples. Here's a bad recording of TD from Munich.

Not too shabby. This one's good, too:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 13, 2017 23:11

retired_dog
Fillmore
I said it before, SFTD is a brilliant opener – just as many other songs would be. The first sound you wanna hear in a Stones concert is not necessarily a drumloop – or Chuck L. Great start anyway. Maybe even here a slightly slower version would even improve the groove – again just my five cents.

Good observation. That's why I would prefer them dusting off the 1969 live version of Sympathy.

They'd have to dust off a couple of new guitarists to pull that off, alas.

Date: September 13, 2017 23:13

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Not too shabby. This one's good, too:

[www.youtube.com]

Beasts Of Arthritis..

Date: September 13, 2017 23:14

LongBeachArena72
retired_dog
Fillmore

Do you play, LongBeach?

Date: September 13, 2017 23:45

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
retired_dog
Fillmore

Do you play, LongBeach?

I blow a mean kazoo ... does that count?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 13, 2017 23:50

Everything counts.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 14, 2017 04:19

Are the days apart gig wise because it's Europe or because they're older? Both? Just using one stage so it takes longer?

2015 had similar gaps between shows. Olé was less but they also played in the same place a lot more.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2017 04:35

LongBeachArena72

[www.youtube.com]

Who's Kazoo? cool smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 14, 2017 07:30

GasLightStreet
Are the days apart gig wise because it's Europe or because they're older? Both? Just using one stage so it takes longer?

2015 had similar gaps between shows. Olé was less but they also played in the same place a lot more.

I have always assumed it's to protect Mick's voice.

Date: September 14, 2017 07:36

MisterDDDD
LongBeachArena72

[www.youtube.com]

Who's Kazoo? cool smiley

nice!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 14, 2017 08:08

GasLightStreet

2-3 days off between gigs has been the norm since at least Australia 2014.
In Europe 2014, they had two days off between each gig apart from the last two (only one day off between Stockholm and Roskilde).
During Olé 2016, they had 2-3 days off between each gig, and a week off between Mexico and Cuba.

Posted by: pospi ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:05

RoughJusticeOnYa
pospi
RoughJusticeOnYa
jackflash27

Cheerz for that, Jack!

Oh, happy day!

Strange, They've just written me that they can't do it.
Yep; I did.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:43

Question regarding Dancing With Mr.D.

While I've always enjoyed the studio version (and all of the live '73 versions), it seems in the past the song has been bashed and ridiculed by a majority of members here. (I tried finding the original track talk thread but to no avail). Now it's being hailed as a long lost gem and has become one of the most, if not the most, talked about highlights of the current tour. Is this due to the fact that it hasn't been played since the '73 and fans are overjoyed to hear anything out of the norm? Or is it because when played live it's exceptionally better than the original studio version, or even the live '73 versions? Having only heard a few video clips, it doesn't quite sound as good as the original (and nowhere near those '73 versions). That said, there aren't really any Stones tunes I prefer live over the master studio versions - Midnight Rambler is the exception when it's played right. And none of the the Mick Taylor era live tunes have been bettered with Ronnie playing his parts - but maybe that's just me. So why all of the sudden all the praise and worship for this long neglected tune?

Date: September 14, 2017 21:24

I think most people loved the 1973 live versions, but many found the studio version a bit tame and one-dimensional.

And I think people would be over the moon had they played, say, Congratulations. New songs in the setlist are welcomed by most.

Date: September 14, 2017 21:26

Here's the track talk index, BTW.

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 21:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 15, 2017 08:09

DandelionPowderman
I think most people loved the 1973 live versions, but many found the studio version a bit tame and one-dimensional.

And I think people would be over the moon had they played, say, Congratulations. New songs in the setlist are welcomed by most.

Exactly. Although I am one of the few who always had a weak spot for the studio version, too.

Anyway, thanks to the Stones for reminding us of the greatness of Goat's Head Soup every now and then (see also "Silver Train")!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 15, 2017 12:32

I think the studio version is not really well received, because it is the opener of the
album. After having albums starting with some of the greatest tracks ever composed,
the "voodoo riff" was not really grabbing the listener by the balls, like an opener
is supposed to do. If the song would have swapped places with Heartbreaker in the tracklist
of GHS, maybe it would have gained more appreciation.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: September 15, 2017 20:58

I know that the tempo of songs has been discussed, but when I first heard Brown Sugar from Hamburg it felt sleepy to me. To me, BS is nearly perfect rock and roll song. And I guess we can all have our favorite tempo.

The original is at 130 beats per minute (bpm): [www.youtube.com] A nice tempo with some swing underneath.

Here's Fonda a bit faster, 138 bpm. [www.youtube.com] I think this little boost makes for an energized live performance.

Now here's Hamburg at 124 bpm. It has somewhat of the feel of the original, but it just feels a bit flat to me at this pace: [www.youtube.com]

I guess we all have our favorite tempos, but for me the slower tempos on some of the songs on this tour just feel a little softer to me.

Still my favorite band, still glad they're getting out there, and still hoping they make it back to the U.S. soon, but hoping they pick it up just a bit.

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: September 16, 2017 01:08

vibrolux
I know that the tempo of songs has been discussed, but when I first heard Brown Sugar from Hamburg it felt sleepy to me. To me, BS is nearly perfect rock and roll song. And I guess we can all have our favorite tempo.

The original is at 130 beats per minute (bpm): [www.youtube.com] A nice tempo with some swing underneath.

Here's Fonda a bit faster, 138 bpm. [www.youtube.com] I think this little boost makes for an energized live performance.

Now here's Hamburg at 124 bpm. It has somewhat of the feel of the original, but it just feels a bit flat to me at this pace: [www.youtube.com]

I guess we all have our favorite tempos, but for me the slower tempos on some of the songs on this tour just feel a little softer to me.

Still my favorite band, still glad they're getting out there, and still hoping they make it back to the U.S. soon, but hoping they pick it up just a bit.
I was in hamburg and munich pit, and i agree most of the songs were played a bit slower, but it was all very relaxed, i liked it that way !!

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: September 16, 2017 11:52

shortfatfanny
Sorry if posted before,but I just bought this Spiegel special issue covering articles released in the mag beetween 1965 - 2016 and I thought this could be of interest for some...

Got a letter back from Der Spiegel. Their apologies about wrong photo comments and corrections here:

[www.spiegel.de]

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: September 16, 2017 12:14

DandelionPowderman
Everything counts.

...in large amounts.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 16, 2017 12:34

Anyone got a link to buy Der Spiegel online...
Wanted to buy one on the way home, but stuck in Security. Lost the shopping time...

TE
Oslo

Date: September 16, 2017 12:34

RawIguanaCologne
DandelionPowderman
Everything counts.

...in large amounts.

Hey, you play REAL drums! winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 82

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home