Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Jeff Beck not a Stone b/c "not into chaos"
Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: April 27, 2017 19:35

straycatuk
My very worst experience at a Stones show was Beck's guest appearance at the o2 gig. Completely ott fret wanking. He would NEVER suit the Stones ! He's not made a decent record since Ronnie was his bass player. Completely overrated IN MY OPINION ONLY

SC UK

Totally agree , wish Eric had played at both O2 shows .Much more fitting.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 27, 2017 19:50

Jeff Beck wouldn't have allowed Jagger and Richards to keep telling him what to do so it would not have worked. Both Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood allow(ed) them to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 19:56 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 27, 2017 19:55

dcba
runaway
Jeff Beck is a great guitarist.

... alas his family tree leads to deplorable guys like Satriani Vai or Malmsteen and the whole Mike Varney stable of guitar "wizards" (remember the 80's? Urgh!).
Without Beck this chapter of the history of electric guitar would have never existed.
Very technical guys but boring as hell as musicians and unable to write a song worth remembering.

i much prefer Keef and his timeless open G riffs played with 3 fingers.

Eddie Van Halen probably had as much to do with the 80's guitarists as Beck and they were all influenced by Hendrix as well.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 27, 2017 20:05

boogaloojef
Jeff Beck wouldn't have allowed Jagger and Richards to keep telling him what to do so it would not have worked. Both Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood allow(ed) them to do it.

Well, Taylor did until he didn't

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 27, 2017 20:10

I too am not a fan of those guys like him and Vai and Malmsteen and Bonamassa. I get that there's an audience, and for a song or two I like them but overall I find them boring. But Jeff Beck is a cool guy. An excellent guitarist, that goes without saying, but also seems like a down to earth guy. Love his speech at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, he was great in his set at the Hall Of Fame concert, and he's 100% right about the Stones. Who needs that sort of stress and instability. I'll tell you who (as we all know): the guys that started the band. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts. The others that can't handle it can and did leave when they wanted. The only other members of that band are the guy the brilliant guitarist that was basically a used sponge by the time they left and soaked everything out of him, and Ronnie Wood who can enter any situation and cope with his easygoing nature. So it makes perfect sense. No one else could fit the Stones life. And Jeff Beck is 100% a guy that wouldn't work for him, as evidenced by 02. He needs his own thing and does fine with that.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 28, 2017 01:20

straycatuk
My very worst experience at a Stones show was Beck's guest appearance at the o2 gig. Completely ott fret wanking. He would NEVER suit the Stones ! He's not made a decent record since Ronnie was his bass player. Completely overrated IN MY OPINION ONLY

SC UK

Agree! The Jeff Beck group was so raw and pounding/ All downhill from there. They inspired Jimmy Page to put together Led Zepplin. I have no use for Jeff Beck's instrumental jazz noodlings. Those who are fans, knock yourselves out. Just not my taste.

Jeff Beck calling the Stones chaos/ Beck refers to chaos while recording..... typified by Keith Richards keeping everyone waiting for hours until he was in the mood to show up at recording sessions. This pissed off Bill Wyman the most. Bill would take off sometimes. This is why his bass playing is missing from a number of Stones tunes as recorded in studio.

Date: April 28, 2017 08:55

dcba
runaway

... alas his family tree leads to deplorable guys like Satriani Vai or Malmsteen and the whole Mike Varney stable of guitar "wizards" (remember the 80's? Urgh!).
Without Beck this chapter of the history of electric guitar would have never existed.
Very technical guys but boring as hell as musicians and unable to write a song worth remembering.

malmsteen was not at all influenced by jeff beck. he was influenced by violin composers and classical music and wanted to translate that to guitar. Richie blackmore is pretty much one of the only guitar players malmsteen lists as an influence. I'd actually say blackmore,eddie van halen, michael schenkerand uli jon roth influenced the 80's shred guys a lot more than jeff beck did

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2017 09:06

keefriffhard4life
dcba
runaway

malmsteen was not at all influenced by jeff beck. he was influenced by violin composers and classical music and wanted to translate that to guitar. Richie blackmore is pretty much one of the only guitar players malmsteen lists as an influence. I'd actually say blackmore,eddie van halen, michael schenkerand uli jon roth influenced the 80's shred guys a lot more than jeff beck did

Agreed. Blackmore + Paganini = Malmsteen.

Jeff Beck's jazz fusion catalogue from Blow by Blow forward is unique and is pretty much without a 'shred' of the style that became Vai, Satriani, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-28 09:09 by Hairball.

Date: April 28, 2017 09:50

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
dcba
runaway

Agreed. Blackmore + Paganini = Malmsteen.

Jeff Beck's jazz fusion catalogue from Blow by Blow forward is unique and is pretty much without a 'shred' of the style that became Vai, Satriani, etc.

malmsteen has said numerous times he is creating classical music on guitar and doesn't fancy himself as a rock guitar player.

to me jeff beck and the shred scene are so far away its weird they are even being compared by others

Date: April 28, 2017 09:52

keefriffhard4life
dcba
runaway

I think that is true. Add a little of Jimi Hendrix's «madness», and you'll have all their influences.

Beck is not a shredder. He usually stops his phrasing after 3 or 4 seconds. He's more of a blues player with a unique finger- and whammy bar-technique, really.

Date: April 29, 2017 13:56

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
dcba
runaway

I think that is true. Add a little of Jimi Hendrix's «madness», and you'll have all their influences.

Beck is not a shredder. He usually stops his phrasing after 3 or 4 seconds. He's more of a blues player with a unique finger- and whammy bar-technique, really.
Add the volume knob to that. Beck is not a shredder; just because someone is able to play very fast, doesn't make him a shredder. He has played some of the most melodic solos ever.
I see Blackmore closer to Beck than Eddie or Malmsteen. Blackmore has a lot of Blues, and when the classical influences rear their head it is always very obvious. But the main thing about Blackmore IMO is that you can hum or sing his solos. They are often pieces. Like Steve Hackett.
Malmsteen to me is gaudy, crass; like Liszt or Paganini.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 29, 2017 16:35

straycatuk

SC UK

I was there too, absolutely horrifying, and he was way to high in the mix.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 29, 2017 22:27

Funny to read all this the complaints of "purist" Rolling Stones fans. If the "fix" isn't exactly served as it supposed to be, they are horrified. People pay a lot of money for what they they want, so I do understant their - rightful - anger. I am sure if some Jeff Beck steals one minute of that experience, their experience must be destroyed.

I guess that is what so called rock and roll is today.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-29 22:28 by Doxa.

Date: April 29, 2017 22:35

Doxa
Funny to read all this the complaints of "purist" Rolling Stones fans. If the "fix" isn't exactly served as it supposed to be, they are horrified. People pay a lot of money for what they they want, so I do understant their - rightful - anger. I am sure if some Jeff Beck steals one minute of that experience, their experience must be destroyed.

- Doxa

Mary J. Blige was good, though winking smiley

Date: April 29, 2017 22:39

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

I am sure Mick Jagger - the @#$%& making all the Stones offerings so awful for all you true "purists" - will send flowers for you.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-29 22:39 by Doxa.

Date: April 29, 2017 22:43

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

I am sure Mick Jagger - the @#$%& making all the Stones offerings so awful for all you true "purists" - will send flowers for you.

- Doxa

Highly unlikely grinning smiley

BTW, do people have to be purists to think Beck is a wrong match for the Stones? I think he was a bad addition to the show - but I'm enjoying his latest album (which is very good) as we speak.

(Re: Jeff Beck not a Stone b/c "not into chaos"
Date: April 29, 2017 22:49

I don't think he would have fit well with the Stones he has a different style of playing more loose and wandering.
The Yardbirds cranked out three of the best guitarist ever and Jeff Beck was one of them.I think most would agree with this.
Freeway Jam is a great tune!

Date: April 29, 2017 22:53

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

Highly unlikely grinning smiley

BTW, do people have to be purists to think Beck is a wrong match for the Stones? I think he was a bad addition to the show - but I'm enjoying his latest album (which is very good) as we speak.

Oh @#$%&.. do people have any sense of relativity or common sense these days? Or any damn brains whatsoever? That one of their biggest and most competent contemporaries shares a stage with them for ONE bloody number is something that destroys a Stones show? You know, I once saw John Lee Hooker sharing a stage stage with them, and he was almost unable to do anything, just to humble a bit along his old song. Did that ruin that show? No. I guess that was alraight for the "purist" wa....nkers in the crowd, who just for a moment were able to stomach that Keith and Ronnie were not doing their "weaving".

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-29 23:04 by Doxa.

Date: April 29, 2017 23:01

Wise words. smiling smiley

Date: April 29, 2017 23:12

I don't find strawman arguments particularly wise. In fact, it's dumb.

Date: April 29, 2017 23:22

TheflyingDutchman

I don't know about that but it surprises me every time how damn conservative and purist some Stones fans really are. Is it the Keith Richards factor? That everyhing needs to be so damn small scope - what is "authentic" and "real" and "rootsie" and whaver cliche shit - like the whole bloody history of The Rolling Stones have never happened and they be what they are these days??!!! That the Stones actually are so damn limited whateverwise as people here seem to suggest or even hope.

Reading all that crap these Keithesses are here vomiting in almost every damn thread no matter what the topic is, makes me feel that how wonderful world this one might been if only Mick Jagger has never existed. Ugh.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-29 23:23 by Doxa.

Date: April 29, 2017 23:29

DandelionPowderman
I don't find strawman arguments particularly wise. In fact, it's dumb.

Right, there is no "arguments" to support anything, just frustration. If you want arguments, go and check what I have said in this site for some 15 years.

Fot some people that is "irrational hatred", but to me is the way to talk not in the manner like is typical for Justin Bieber fan sites.

- Doxa

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 29, 2017 23:36

straycatuk

SC UK

Could not agree more. His playing makes no sense. He overplays, etc. why he has this reputation is beyond me

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 29, 2017 23:44

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

I don't know about that but it surprises me every time how damn conservative and purist some Stones fans really are. Is it the Keith Richards factor? That everyhing needs to be so damn small scope - what is "authentic" and "real" and "rootsie" and whaver cliche shit - like the whole bloody history of The Rolling Stones have never happened and they be what they are these days??!!! That the Stones actually are so damn limited whateverwise as people here seem to suggest or even hope.

Reading all that crap these Keithesses are here vomiting in almost every damn thread no matter what the topic is, makes me feel that how wonderful world this one might been if only Mick Jagger has never existed. Ugh.

- Doxa

What are you talking about ? The thread asked if Jeff Beck would have been a fit for the the Stones. Do you think he would ?
He didn't ruin my favorite Stones show. That gig was special for any number of reasons. Technically he can run rings around Keith, but that's not the point is it ?

sc uk

Date: April 30, 2017 00:07

From the video and boots, I thought Jeff Beck was a welcome presence with the Stones at the 02.
Fans who were there should be grateful and thankful...when else would the Stones ever playing Going Down?
It was a smokin version imo, almost as good as Jeff's studio cover from way back in '72.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2017 00:11

Ya had to be there .... it was overkill ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 30, 2017 00:20

straycatuk

What are you talking about ? The thread asked if Jeff Beck would have been a fit for the the Stones. Do you think he would ?
He didn't ruin my favorite Stones show. That gig was special for any number of reasons. Technically he can run rings around Keith, but that's not the point is it ?

sc uk

No, this thread didn't ask that question, but it doesn't matter if it did or not; I commented to something that occured along the conversation, and, I am ready to admit willingly, I take that occurrance to a wider spheres, touching a theme I have find rather typical in many other threads here. If that disturbs you, or anyone, or if I go too OT, or too personal, or whatever, there is always a "Report This Message" button available. Who knows, one could get me even banned in best scenario.

I don't find anyone here yet claiming that Jeff Beck suited for the Stones as a regular member (and for several reasons). But him making a guest appearance in some show has nothing to do with that. Him being able to "run rings around Keith" or not, what does it matter? It is just music and different musicians, not some bloody competion.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-30 00:22 by Doxa.

Date: April 30, 2017 00:25

As far as I know, no one said he ruined the show, either. Those were your words.

Some liked it, some didn't. Why stir it up?

Date: April 30, 2017 00:28

Rockman
Ya had to be there .... it was overkill ....

Just watched the video again, and I suppose you're right - it's a bit over the top.
Would be a nice cover for the Stones to keep in their setlist though - without any special guests!
Maybe a mid-tempo blues version...with Keith and Ronnie weaving and trading likcs...similar to their version of Rock Me Baby at the Paris Olympia in 2003.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2017 00:31

run rings around Keith" or not, what does it matter? It is just music and different musicians, not some bloody competion.

Yeah take it eeeeeeasy Doxa.... don't go knockin' yaself out .... RELAX

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home