Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: David Crosby interview
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 27, 2017 05:08

Yes Angee, it was more arrogant of ME than him to rag on him like that. He's worked with the best players on his solo records and a lot of people love him;
I have my own elitist personal tastes about them at the time, and it's stuck w me I guess.
I guess I'm not alone tho:
[www.youtube.com]
I did not know this ^^

I am sure if you liked his show that it had some worthwhile music.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: April 27, 2017 10:01

Mike Nesmith's son Jason Nesmith is a great guitarist. He was in the band Nancy Boy (great album, Bowie inspired) with bassist Nigel Mogg, one of Marlon Richards' best friends. Nigel's been in a few bands. He's from England but lives in Los Angeles now. Spent fun years with Marlon in New York City. Jason has been in great but short-lived bands with Dylan's son and Donovan's son.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 27, 2017 16:01

The individual Stones have all been very good at NOT slagging off band members girl friends/wives.
Anita must have tested everyones patience!
Only exception was Keith mouthing off about Bianca and her 'jet set lifestyle' on occasions.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 27, 2017 16:32

hopkins
Doxa
duke richardson

whether he was serious or not, don't know

grinning smiley

Doesn't matter... that comment by hopkins made my day!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

I was just funnin'...i had written this rant about how smackable Crosby was, but deleted it and kinda made the tiniest joke there...i figgered you guys would get the joke & you do...
I was thinking that Crosby's smackability quotient was akin to Mike Loves somehow...just the kind of guy you want to say 'sssshhhhhhhhhhhh' to...
some kind of surburban kid aggorance or something w him; i don't know what...He has this great Lovian (as in Mike) smackability somehow...it's almost inspiring.

I like Graham in The Hollies a lot; loved their first hits, saw them their first time over and they def rocked. for real rocked. I mean you Brits should be proud of them; they came over early and with a lot of hits and were just super great and truly rocking. yeah they had great songs and harmonies in the Nash days, and great hits...but live, I'm telling you, THAT band rocked it!! The first Invasion band I ever saw live...and they were super...and Steve Stills with Super Sessions and Buffalo Springfield were a gigantic force with some songs really still very important to me...
So you see why I edited it all out and made a Monkee crack? haha...now i can't stop.
stonehearted as usual makes a key point tho.
Nesmiths songs on that debut Monkees albums were GREAT...as well as that Stone Poneys hit which first made me a Linda fan from her first solo album till about Hasten Down The Wind,
also stonehearted wins the best post ever award for "Another Pleasant Valley Murder" !! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out high grade stuff right there! thumbs up
Papa Gene's Blues...Sweet Young Thing (nesmith w goffin/king?)...
he really was important influential country influence in rock before most all the others...
...a real group tho, the amazing Lovin' Spoonful, especially Zal's lead guitar work, were really bringing that country thing to pop and rock charts earlier than that in '65...tho Nesmith WROTE Different Drum in '65 and it was first recorded by Greenbriar Boys, a bluegrass outfit! I think the Stone Poney's hit was a year or two after that...in '67?
She made six albums in a row that I was crazy for. I was into her very early on; "Home Grown Hand Sewn" and "Silk Purse" right about the time CSN was breaking on the scene, a little before.,..and honestly CSN were not a big deal to me...My favorite period Crosby, and I liked the photo too, was when he was in prison in Texas...I felt safe that whole time...
Thinking of Byrds after '66 or '67 when Crosby was out, always brings up, for me, Easy Rider soundrack LP. "Ballad of Easy Rider" one of my absolute favorite songs EVER...
I felt the artists I had been listening to for years, had surpassed them before CSN came along. Obviously Neil has written some timeless and important and wonderful things. And For What It's Worth, gives Steve a pass for the rest of his life...and OHIO...but David did not write any of that stuff.
Sorry for the little Monkee joke. but happy for those who got into it and on it; did not expect that! should have know here tho. wow...fun! thanks for those posts!! and pix hahaaa...
And no offense intended if you're a CSN fan, I just couldn't get there...they were recorded beautifully. I think Dallas Taylor had a groovy feel...The acoustic playing and recording is fabulous...that's probably not David driving that? I'm guessing more Steve and Graham, natural guitar players.
Thers's a lot of varied talent with Nash and Young and Stills...Crosby takes on the big star role...as if he was a writer or creator of impact or major stardom. I think he begs these kinds of critiques when he mouths off against his mates. think it's arrogant.
I do not hate him...I leave that to his friends and the people who know him best....and the only reason people really come to a concert where he's at....? Well he might be the first name in that trio, sometimes quartet, but he ain't the draw or the force....i'd love it if they had a big reunion, CSNY!! IF the other guys own and control the name, and just hired some other guy to sing Crosby's harmonies and left David home. THEN I'd like to hear him in interview!!!
winking smiley
How about Dolenz, Stills, Nash and Young. You KNOW he could do it! DSN baby!!

You don't hear even the early Stones slagging each others wives or girl friends. shagging them yes, but slagging them no...heh heh...

very cool post, hopkins, touching on the early history of Hollies, Nesmith, Ronstadt, post -Crosby Byrds..

Manassas, Dallas Taylor, hell yes and with Bill Wyman, backing Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, at Montreaux

thumbs up

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 27, 2017 17:09

I was gonna post this separately as an OT, but with all the discussion here re CSN, CSNY, etc., I guess it fits in here. A good read about Buffalo Springfield, a band that went away, IMHO, far too soon.

[observer.com]

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: April 28, 2017 06:03

dmay
I was gonna post this separately as an OT, but with all the discussion here re CSN, CSNY, etc., I guess it fits in here. A good read about Buffalo Springfield, a band that went away, IMHO, far too soon.

[observer.com]

Interesting article. Thanks.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 24, 2017 01:41

Some of Crosby's one liners on Twitter are hilarious: [twitter.com]

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 24, 2017 15:50

I smell a CSNY reunion in the works

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1319
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home