Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: David Crosby interview
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 25, 2017 17:01

A nice read.

[variety.com]

Re: OT: David Crosby interview
Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 26, 2017 03:17

pos

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2017 06:08

I wish they asked him outright "so why is it that all your old friends seem to hate you?"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 26, 2017 10:03

RollingFreak
I wish they asked him outright "so why is it that all your old friends seem to hate you?"

Because the days when celebs were asked difficult questions ended many many years ago.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 26, 2017 10:30

Oh I started up about ol' Davey and just had to stop. and delete it;
i mean i liked him in The Monkees when he was cute but let's face it, it was downhill from there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 10:55 by hopkins.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 26, 2017 16:30

For example :
"Keith, how would you describe your guitar playing now ?"

jlowe
RollingFreak

Because the days when celebs were asked difficult questions ended many many years ago.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 26, 2017 17:06

hopkins
Oh I started up about ol' Davey and just had to stop. and delete it;
i mean i liked him in The Monkees when he was cute but let's face it, it was downhill from there...

hm?

grinning smiley

david crosby was a Monkee?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 26, 2017 17:07

powerage78
For example :
"Keith, how would you describe your guitar playing now ?"

jlowe
RollingFreak

A lot of it has to do with the fact that the interviewers asking the questions are not peers of these musicians, that is, not from the same generation, so they can't take their subjects to task so to speak.

More recently, they are often one and sometimes two generations removed, so they are more reverential -- because of the distance that comes from the lack of a sense of camaraderie.

It's also one reason such iconic musicians aren't turning out the same caliber of work as before -- too many laurels to rest on, so it's impossible to find a producer who can really get on their case when material is sub-par. For instance, the Stones have a yes-man like Don Was, who is constantly telling them that they sound great and that every little ditty they turn out is great, when they could instead have someone like Glyn Johns who knew them from the beginning and wouldn't be afraid to be more assertive in terms of quality control.

It's the same with interviewers these days, all of whom are much younger. They will put these older "legends" on a pedestal, because of the unspoken hierarchy of respect that exists between the interviewer and subject.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 26, 2017 17:35

This is especially true with the Stones and Keith in particular

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: April 26, 2017 19:54

Also, they need the celebs to help them sell their periodicals.
Keith, Crosby and Page are always cropping up....good for quotes....and it keeps their own PR machines going.
Mick these days seems to do much less press work (unless there is new product to market). Which seems fair enough.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 26, 2017 21:25

I was under the impression that David doesn't get along with Neil due to his disapproval of Neil breaking up with his long-time wife Peg and his taking up with Daryl Hannah. David thinks Daryl has Neil under some kind of spell and is controlling him. David has said these things in interviews. Graham Nash doesn't approve of David talking trash about Neil. There are probably other reasons, as they have had other disputes over the years.

David says what he thinks, and since he's a perfect example of a guy in a glass house throwing stones, his attitude doesn't help him with his peers.

Date: April 26, 2017 21:48

Re the question about Crosby being one of the Monkees, no he wasn't. Stephen Stills auditioned to become one of the Monkees and was turned down. It may have been one of the best things to happen for him re his musical career.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 26, 2017 21:57

dmay
Re the question about Crosby being one of the Monkees, no he wasn't. Stephen Stills auditioned to become one of the Monkees and was turned down. It may have been one of the best things to happen for him re his musical career.

im pretty sure hopkins was thinking of 'Davy Jones' not David Crosby..

whether he was serious or not, don't know

grinning smiley

Date: April 26, 2017 22:10

dmay
Stephen Stills auditioned to become one of the Monkees and was turned down.
That's how Peter Tork got the job instead, because of his connection with Stephen Stills and the area folk scene.

But imagine if another area "folkie" who auditioned had been chosen, then it would have been a different group altogether. "Another Pleasant Valley Murder..."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 26, 2017 22:10

duke richardson

grinning smiley

Doesn't matter... that comment by hopkins made my day!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Date: April 26, 2017 23:47

marianna
I was under the impression that David doesn't get along with Neil due to his disapproval of Neil breaking up with his long-time wife Peg and his taking up with Daryl Hannah. David thinks Daryl has Neil under some kind of spell and is controlling him. David has said these things in interviews. Graham Nash doesn't approve of David talking trash about Neil. There are probably other reasons, as they have had other disputes over the years.

David says what he thinks, and since he's a perfect example of a guy in a glass house throwing stones, his attitude doesn't help him with his peers.

Oh no, another Yoko!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 27, 2017 01:14

stonehearted
dmay
That's how Peter Tork got the job instead, because of his connection with Stephen Stills and the area folk scene.

But imagine if another area "folkie" who auditioned had been chosen, then it would have been a different group altogether. "Another Pleasant Valley Murder..."

Manson never auditioned, he was in jail at the time.

Date: April 27, 2017 01:22

tomk
stonehearted
the Monkees

I know, but it's such a lovely myth, I just want it to be true! smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2017 01:29

tomk
stonehearted
dmay

It was a rumor started by a joking Micky Dolenz:

Charles Manson Monkees Audition Urban Myth Debunked By Mickey Dolenz

And while Steven Stills did indeed audition, he's since claimed he really only wanted to write songs for the show:

Stephen Stills on auditioning for The Monkees

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 27, 2017 01:52

Hairball
tomk
stonehearted
dmay

Charles Manson Monkees Audition Urban Myth Debunked By Mickey Dolenz

And while Steven Stills did indeed audition, he's since claimed he really only wanted to write songs for the show:

Stephen Stills on auditioning for The Monkees

The person who ALMOST made it was Jerry Yester. According to him, producer Bert Schneider offered him the job, but Yester turned it down, not wanting to break up the MFQ. He said he was replaced with Peter. He aslo kind of regretted it 'cause the MFQ broke up a few months later.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2017 01:56

........Always the Circus Boy.....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 27, 2017 02:01

Oh my, I knows I'm gettin' old when I can remember watching Mickey Dolenz in Circus Boy. I think Noah Beery Jr., was also in the show. He later went on to play Jim Rockford's dad in The Rockford Files, a show I still love to watch.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2017 02:06

Nesmith's mum Bette invented Liquid Paper ... we pencil that one it .....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 27, 2017 02:09

And let's not forget the big breakthrough hit Mike Nesmith wrote for Linda Ronstadt.

Different Drum: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: April 27, 2017 03:24

“David Crosby, he’s kind of a lost soul, and he’s done so much substance abuse throughout his life that his logic meter is gone, his reasoning and his depth of understanding is pretty much gone... I feel quite sad for the guy.”

Date: April 27, 2017 03:35

Well, I don't know the guy. So I'll just say this about David Crosby: Gilmour, Crosby and Nash at the Royal Albert Hall in 2006.

Find The Cost Of Freedom: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 27, 2017 03:40

HankM
“David Crosby, he’s kind of a lost soul, and he’s done so much substance abuse throughout his life that his logic meter is gone, his reasoning and his depth of understanding is pretty much gone... I feel quite sad for the guy.”

He has a been a blowhard jerk for a long long time,

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 27, 2017 03:57

Doxa
duke richardson

grinning smiley

Doesn't matter... that comment by hopkins made my day!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

I was just funnin'...i had written this rant about how smackable Crosby was, but deleted it and kinda made the tiniest joke there...i figgered you guys would get the joke & you do...
I was thinking that Crosby's smackability quotient was akin to Mike Loves somehow...just the kind of guy you want to say 'sssshhhhhhhhhhhh' to...
some kind of surburban kid aggorance or something w him; i don't know what...He has this great Lovian (as in Mike) smackability somehow...it's almost inspiring.

I like Graham in The Hollies a lot; loved their first hits, saw them their first time over and they def rocked. for real rocked. I mean you Brits should be proud of them; they came over early and with a lot of hits and were just super great and truly rocking. yeah they had great songs and harmonies in the Nash days, and great hits...but live, I'm telling you, THAT band rocked it!! The first Invasion band I ever saw live...and they were super...and Steve Stills with Super Sessions and Buffalo Springfield were a gigantic force with some songs really still very important to me...
So you see why I edited it all out and made a Monkee crack? haha...now i can't stop.
stonehearted as usual makes a key point tho.
Nesmiths songs on that debut Monkees albums were GREAT...as well as that Stone Poneys hit which first made me a Linda fan from her first solo album till about Hasten Down The Wind,
also stonehearted wins the best post ever award for "Another Pleasant Valley Murder" !! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out high grade stuff right there! thumbs up
Papa Gene's Blues...Sweet Young Thing (nesmith w goffin/king?)...
he really was important influential country influence in rock before most all the others...
...a real group tho, the amazing Lovin' Spoonful, especially Zal's lead guitar work, were really bringing that country thing to pop and rock charts earlier than that in '65...tho Nesmith WROTE Different Drum in '65 and it was first recorded by Greenbriar Boys, a bluegrass outfit! I think the Stone Poney's hit was a year or two after that...in '67?
She made six albums in a row that I was crazy for. I was into her very early on; "Home Grown Hand Sewn" and "Silk Purse" right about the time CSN was breaking on the scene, a little before.,..and honestly CSN were not a big deal to me...My favorite period Crosby, and I liked the photo too, was when he was in prison in Texas...I felt safe that whole time...
Thinking of Byrds after '66 or '67 when Crosby was out, always brings up, for me, Easy Rider soundrack LP. "Ballad of Easy Rider" one of my absolute favorite songs EVER...
I felt the artists I had been listening to for years, had surpassed them before CSN came along. Obviously Neil has written some timeless and important and wonderful things. And For What It's Worth, gives Steve a pass for the rest of his life...and OHIO...but David did not write any of that stuff.
Sorry for the little Monkee joke. but happy for those who got into it and on it; did not expect that! should have know here tho. wow...fun! thanks for those posts!! and pix hahaaa...
And no offense intended if you're a CSN fan, I just couldn't get there...they were recorded beautifully. I think Dallas Taylor had a groovy feel...The acoustic playing and recording is fabulous...that's probably not David driving that? I'm guessing more Steve and Graham, natural guitar players.
Thers's a lot of varied talent with Nash and Young and Stills...Crosby takes on the big star role...as if he was a writer or creator of impact or major stardom. I think he begs these kinds of critiques when he mouths off against his mates. think it's arrogant.
I do not hate him...I leave that to his friends and the people who know him best....and the only reason people really come to a concert where he's at....? Well he might be the first name in that trio, sometimes quartet, but he ain't the draw or the force....i'd love it if they had a big reunion, CSNY!! IF the other guys own and control the name, and just hired some other guy to sing Crosby's harmonies and left David home. THEN I'd like to hear him in interview!!!
winking smiley
How about Dolenz, Stills, Nash and Young. You KNOW he could do it! DSN baby!!

You don't hear even the early Stones slagging each others wives or girl friends. shagging them yes, but slagging them no...heh heh...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 04:58 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2017 04:26

Out of the four - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young - I've always felt that Crosby was the weakest link.
Sure a couple of good songs he's written, and sure a bit of decent guitar here and there, and of course great backing vocals (and even an occasional great lead vocal).
But compared to the others, and on his own.... weak.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 27, 2017 04:34

I think the interview might be his second (or third or fourth) attempt to publicly apologize to Neil Young.

I saw Crosby in a solo concert not long ago and he was very good, much better than I expected.

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home