Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: From Ultimate Classic Rock - How the Rolling Stones Continued Their ’70s Slide on ‘Black and Blue’
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2017 18:43

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
When the writer states that “Fool to Cry” is one of the two best tracks, I have to question his sanity.
I could narrow the album down to Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate, Crazy Mama, and maybe Memory Motel and would be satisfied. The rest just weighs it all down.
It's a bit torturous on vinyl having to endure an entire side imo, yet on a cd it's great since there is a the 'skip track' function.

I'd choose Hey Negrita as the second rocker. IMO, it's far better than Crazy Mama.

I guess there is something for everyone on BAB, and that's some of its strength, imo - a varied and rootsy album, albeit a bit eclectic and inconsistent.

I did add it in my next post saying "I forgot to add Hey Negrita to my final cut". thumbs up
Don't know if I would consider it a 'rocker' in the same vein as Crazy Mama though - it's more funkified (if that's a word) vs. Crazy Mama which is a straight up ballsy Stonesy rocker plain and simple.

Which had me thinking of someones previous comment - to paraphrase 'Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama are the Stones trying to sound like the Stones'...I know that's the cliche thing to say as I've read it in the past, but my answer is 'say what'? If you think about it there's really nothing that similar to either of them previously. I can't think of a Hand of Fate sound-alike at all, it chugs along riff driven with some sweet guitar solos throughout, and Mick's singing is great. Maybe there's some shades of Tumbling Dice in Crazy Mama (the rhythm guitar), but it's basically a standard rock and roll tune that also happens to be original. Chunky guitar, Mick spitting out the lyrics, and some crazy yet simple and to the point lead guitar parts. They're not trying to reinvent the wheel, and they're not really copying anything from their past, they're just letting it all hang out. Both tunes are the Stones BEING the Stones...not the Stones trying to sound like the Stones (which really makes no sense imo). That being said, while I would rank Hand of Fate amongst their all time greatest, I would rank Crazy Mama about half way down the list. But within the restraints of the hodgepoge and confusion that is Black and Blue, it shines brightly.

Re: From Ultimate Classic Rock - How the Rolling Stones Continued Their ’70s Slide on ‘Black and Blue’
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2017 18:55

It was probably the best overall use of Billy Preston's style of piano playing on a Stones studio album. It was also the last (until what, a cameo on Bridges?).

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 24, 2017 19:14

24FPS
It was probably the best overall use of Billy Preston's style of piano playing on a Stones studio album. It was also the last (until what, a cameo on Bridges?).

Better than "Shine A Light" "100 Years Ago" "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker" "Fingerprint File" "I Got The Blues"....?

Date: April 24, 2017 19:46

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
When the writer states that “Fool to Cry” is one of the two best tracks, I have to question his sanity.
I could narrow the album down to Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate, Crazy Mama, and maybe Memory Motel and would be satisfied. The rest just weighs it all down.
It's a bit torturous on vinyl having to endure an entire side imo, yet on a cd it's great since there is a the 'skip track' function.

I'd choose Hey Negrita as the second rocker. IMO, it's far better than Crazy Mama.

I guess there is something for everyone on BAB, and that's some of its strength, imo - a varied and rootsy album, albeit a bit eclectic and inconsistent.

I did add it in my next post saying "I forgot to add Hey Negrita to my final cut". thumbs up
Don't know if I would consider it a 'rocker' in the same vein as Crazy Mama though - it's more funkified (if that's a word) vs. Crazy Mama which is a straight up ballsy Stonesy rocker plain and simple.

Which had me thinking of someones previous comment - to paraphrase 'Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama are the Stones trying to sound like the Stones'...I know that's the cliche thing to say as I've read it in the past, but my answer is 'say what'? If you think about it there's really nothing that similar to either of them previously. I can't think of a Hand of Fate sound-alike at all, it chugs along riff driven with some sweet guitar solos throughout, and Mick's singing is great. Maybe there's some shades of Tumbling Dice in Crazy Mama (the rhythm guitar), but it's basically a standard rock and roll tune that also happens to be original. Chunky guitar, Mick spitting out the lyrics, and some crazy yet simple and to the point lead guitar parts. They're not trying to reinvent the wheel, and they're not really copying anything from their past, they're just letting it all hang out. Both tunes are the Stones BEING the Stones...not the Stones trying to sound like the Stones (which really makes no sense imo). That being said, while I would rank Hand of Fate amongst their all time greatest, I would rank Crazy Mama about half way down the list. But within the restraints of the hodgepoge and confusion that is Black and Blue, it shines brightly.

People are adding what happened later to the mix. Those tracks were good, and the string of mid-tempo rockers just hadn't been released yet at that time smiling smiley

Date: April 24, 2017 19:56

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

People are adding what happened later to the mix. Those tracks were good, and the string of mid-tempo rockers just hadn't been released yet at that time smiling smiley

Not sure I quite follow you there or what point your making Dandelion, but sound good to me...winking smiley

Date: April 24, 2017 20:48

Just because they made lots of standard mid-tempo rockers later on doesn't mean that HOF and CM were "Stones-by-numbers" in 1976 smiling smiley

Date: April 24, 2017 23:55

OK I understand now. thumbs up

But then you have a quote like this from 24FPS (had to backtrack a page to find it):

"Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama sound like museum pieces, lifeless songs they put on there to sound more like the classic Stones".

All I can say to that comment is 'Say what'?!!! confused smiley winking smiley

But as you said earlier in thread:

"I guess there is something for everyone on BAB, and that's some of its strength, imo - a varied and rootsy album, albeit a bit eclectic and inconsistent".

Truth! thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 25, 2017 01:08

loog droog
24FPS

Better than "Shine A Light" "100 Years Ago" "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker" "Fingerprint File" "I Got The Blues"....?

Those were individual stand out cuts. On Black and Blue he's all over Hot Stuff, Melody, Hey Negrita, synth on Memory Motel, and he even rollicks a bit on Crazy Mama. Preston's piano dominates here like Nicky did on other albums.

Posted by: PresidentBartlet ()
Date: April 25, 2017 01:52

potus43
JohnnyBGoode
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

The mid-’70s weren’t so great for the Rolling Stones. Commercially speaking, they were on top of the world and never bigger. They were untouchable during this period, with every album shooting straight up the charts and tours selling out in no time.

But behind the scenes, they were starting to unravel. And on record, they were far from their best. Keith Richards was barely conscious during the sessions for 1974’s It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll, and the concerts were more workmanlike than life-changing starting around 1972. Things were getting so big and out of hand that the music, too, was starting to feel less eventful with each passing album.
From 1968’s Beggars Banquet through 1972’s Exile on Main St., the Stones released four of rock’s all-time greatest albums. Not just four of the Stones’ greatest albums, but four of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll albums ever made. Then they began to slide, first with the tossed-together Goats Head Soup in 1973 and then with the incomplete (but not terrible at all) It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll the next year.
At first, the plan was to rebound quickly and put out a new album. The Stones returned at the end of 1974 to the same Munich studio where It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll was recorded to lay down some tracks. At the start of 1975, they were in the Netherlands recording more. But they were still reeling from Mick Taylor‘s abrupt departure in December 1974 and hadn’t decided on a replacement guitarist yet (Jeff Beck, Peter Frampton and Steve Marriott were all considered; the job eventually went to Ronnie Wood).

By mid-year, the band was back on the road, and sessions for the record were put on hold. A year after the initial recordings were shelved, the Stones returned to Munich and then headed to Montreux, Switzerland, to polish the tracks. On April 23, 1976, nearly a year and a half after work first started on the record, Black and Blue was released.

It wasn’t quite what fans were used to. Gone, for the most part, were the guitar-guided rock ‘n’ roll workouts that dominated the first half of the decade, replaced by funk, soul, jazz, reggae and a stew of simmering sounds not usually found on Rolling Stones records – at least like this. But put in context with the band’s personal problems and its past history with black music, the record wasn’t so much confusing as it was sorta pointless. As critic Lester Bangs summed up in his review in Creem, “This is the first meaningless Rolling Stones album.”
The record’s two best songs – the soulful ballad “Fool to Cry” and the funked-up “Hot Stuff” – were released on the same single, with both cuts charting separately. (The former made it to No. 10, while the latter stalled outside the Top 40.) Elsewhere, the band – aided by Billy Preston, Nicky Hopkins and guitarists Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel, as well as Wood, who got his face on the LP’s back cover and credit as the band’s newest full-time member, even though he played guitar on only three of the album’s tracks – meanders from groove to groove with little purpose. (Two of its leftover songs would later show up on 1981’s Tattoo You.)

But that couldn’t stop the Stones’ commercial roll. Black and Blue climbed to No. 1 and stayed there for four weeks, eventually going platinum. It would be another two years before the group finally got around to sorta cleaning up and getting back on track with Some Girls, a career-reviving hit that confirmed, even to the swarm of cynics that Black and Blue spawned, that the Stones were pretty damn close to indestructible. The mid-’70s stumbles were just another part of their legend.

The author is kinda dumb

You're dumber.

Date: April 25, 2017 10:27

The thread shows that B&B is actually a pretty strong album. I think it sits a bit isolated coming after GHS and IORR and before the Ron Wood era. But in this thread just about every song has already been mentioned as a favorite ( except 'Cherry'); and that's a sign of a strong album
I love this album. The two ballads are superb, and the funk rockers too. I have changed my mind nowadays, but I used to see "Crazy Mama' as the weak one.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: April 25, 2017 15:57

The Rolling Stones recorded Black and Blue while auditioning Mick Taylor's replacement, so it's unfair to criticize it, really, for being longer on grooves and jams than songs, especially since that's what's good about it. Yes, the two songs that are undeniable highlights are "Memory Motel" and "Fool to Cry," the album's two ballads and, therefore, the two that had to be written and arranged, not knocked out in the studio; they're also the ones that don't quite make as much sense, though they still work in the context of the record. No, this is all about groove and sound, as the Stones work Ron Wood into their fabric. And the remarkable thing is, apart from "Hand of Fate" and "Crazy Mama," there's little straight-ahead rock & roll here. They play with reggae extensively, funk and disco less so, making both sound like integral parts of the Stones' lifeblood. Apart from the ballads, there might not be many memorable tunes, but there are times that you listen to the Stones just to hear them play, and this is one of them.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 25, 2017 16:18

^^

great point about working Ronnie Wood "into their fabric."

he had a head start, and never was a choice of musician for them so obvious, imo..

just listening to his playing with the Faces makes that clear, plus he always knew he'd be in the Rolling Stones..

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 25, 2017 16:33

Melody is the gem on this one.

Date: April 25, 2017 16:38

Keith's rhythm guitar on Hot Stuff is ace. It's still as exciting to listen to as it was back in 1983 when I first heard it thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2017 17:32

This LP gets beat up so much. Look at the time frame and what was going on, it's amazing they released anything, actually. Take the 1973 tour, which still had the same energy as the 1972 tour, and listen to IORR and then BAB - that's a span of 4 years.

They changed. A lot.

A meaningless album... at the time, perhaps. But historically, it's a huge predecessor to 1978-1983 in terms of creativity, maybe mostly so to SOME GIRLS, but I think it kind of cleared the path for them that they had cluttered up.

The fog of GHS and the haze of IORR had lifted. By the time SOME GIRLS came out the sun was shining - perhaps a bit too bright.

BAB is the sound of a clear day. Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama reveal that. If Slave had been finished and put on BAB I bet some people would say "It's boring".

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 25, 2017 17:34

Black and Blue is a very good album.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 25, 2017 20:02

GasLightStreet
This LP gets beat up so much. Look at the time frame and what was going on, it's amazing they released anything, actually. Take the 1973 tour, which still had the same energy as the 1972 tour, and listen to IORR and then BAB - that's a span of 4 years.

They changed. A lot.

A meaningless album... at the time, perhaps. But historically, it's a huge predecessor to 1978-1983 in terms of creativity, maybe mostly so to SOME GIRLS, but I think it kind of cleared the path for them that they had cluttered up.

The fog of GHS and the haze of IORR had lifted. By the time SOME GIRLS came out the sun was shining - perhaps a bit too bright.

BAB is the sound of a clear day. Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama reveal that. If Slave had been finished and put on BAB I bet some people would say "It's boring".

I believe the fog was still there. Keith has stated that he was out of it sometimes during this period and it allowed the sidemen and Jagger to have more influence on some of the albums. He wished he would have had more input into some of the albums. I would surmise that this is an example as it sounds like Billy Preston and Jagger had quite a bit of influence on this lp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-25 20:07 by boogaloojef.

Date: April 25, 2017 20:30

GasLightStreet

They changed. A lot.

thumbs up

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 25, 2017 20:54

potus43
The author is kinda dumb

disagree... this is fascinating and original insight... i mean what's this awesome new thesis that there was a dropoff after Exile?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home