Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 22, 2017 06:37

keefriffhard4life
Chester
One of most overrated, bland artists in history.

Most of his songs are the same song.

Tell me that Free Fallin, Running Down a Dream, Yer So Bad and I Won't Back Down are not the same song.

I think he wrote those while giving his dog a bath and this guy's in the songwriter's hall of fame?

Some early stuff is OK, but it's been played to death. Pretty sure I don't need to hear Refugee ever again in my life.

the songs you just named are all different tempos, rhythms, hooks, etc. how are they the same song to you?

They are the same to me because they are all just flat-out boring

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2017 08:46

Chester
keefriffhard4life
Chester

Tell me that Free Fallin, Running Down a Dream, Yer So Bad and I Won't Back Down are not the same song.

I think he wrote those while giving his dog a bath and this guy's in the songwriter's hall of fame?

Some early stuff is OK, but it's been played to death. Pretty sure I don't need to hear Refugee ever again in my life.

the songs you just named are all different tempos, rhythms, hooks, etc. how are they the same song to you?

Agree with both of you.

The songs named above are all different tempos, rhythms, hooks, etc., while at the same time they're all just flat-out boring.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 09:45

Hairball
Chester
keefriffhard4life
Chester

Agree with both of you.

The songs named above are all different tempos, rhythms, hooks, etc., while at the same time they're all just flat-out boring.

Hold on a cotton pickin' minute. ‘I Won’t Back Down’ is one of the classics in the ‘kick-ass’ anthem genre, popular from Charlottesville all the way to Pyongyang. Co-written by Jeff Lynne and fairy-dusted by an ex-Beatle that recording has a nice pedigree.

The others I mostly agree about but the first verse of Free Fallin brings a smile to my face – gotta love a girl who’s down with Elvis, horses and Jesus. But I suppose I stopped lovin Tom Petty after he released the Joe Piscopo song.

Date: August 22, 2017 09:47

Chester
keefriffhard4life
Chester

so a song being boring means it sounds the same?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-22 09:47 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 15:10

Running Down a Dream is BORING? I defy you not to speed in your car if that song comes on the radio.

I specifically made sure I had that song with me when I drove through the Nevada desert in a convertible. Blasting that while cruising was some bucket list-level shit right there.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2017 20:27

keefriff99
Running Down a Dream is BORING? I defy you not to speed in your car if that song comes on the radio.

I specifically made sure I had that song with me when I drove through the Nevada desert in a convertible. Blasting that while cruising was some bucket list-level shit right there.

Personally, I would have specifically chosen Highway Star for the trek through the desert (as I always do). winking smiley

Also recommended for speeding through the Nevada desert in a convertible:
Motorhead: Ace of Spades
Led Zeppelin: Song Remains the Same, Trampled Underfoot, and Achilles Last Stand
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Deep Purple - Burn
Black Sabbath - Supernaut
Stones - Dance Little Sister followed by Rip This Joint.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 20:56

Hairball
keefriff99

Personally, I would have specifically chosen Highway Star for the trek through the desert (as I always do). winking smiley

Also recommended for speeding through the Nevada desert in a convertible:
Motorhead: Ace of Spades
Led Zeppelin: Song Remains the Same, Trampled Underfoot, and Achilles Last Stand
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Deep Purple - Burn
Black Sabbath - Supernaut
Stones - Dance Little Sister followed by Rip This Joint.
Oh, I listened to plenty of good driving music...it's just that Running Down a Dream was at the top of my list. That song has always evoked that kind of imagery in my mind.

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 22:18

Chester

Completely disagree. I would argue that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are one of the greatest American rock bands of all time. Petty is a fantastic songwriter, and most bands would kill to have musicians like Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench in their group.

Perhaps what I find most impressive is the level of consistency his material has maintained, especially for someone whose career has spanned four decades. While not the most groundbreaking artist there ever was, Tom Petty has never put out a truly bad album - something that can't be said for most artists with careers spanning several decades like Dylan, Neil Young, Springsteen, McCartney, or even the Stones.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 23:49

HotStuff92
Chester

Completely disagree. I would argue that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are one of the greatest American rock bands of all time. Petty is a fantastic songwriter, and most bands would kill to have musicians like Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench in their group.

Perhaps what I find most impressive is the level of consistency his material has maintained, especially for someone whose career has spanned four decades. While not the most groundbreaking artist there ever was, Tom Petty has never put out a truly bad album - something that can't be said for most artists with careers spanning several decades like Dylan, Neil Young, Springsteen, McCartney, or even the Stones.

Completely agree with you Hotstuff92. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers are a great band, Petty writes brilliant songs and most of the lives shows I've seen have been terrific.

And Chester -- while I disagree with your opinion of Petty, your "I think he wrote those while giving his dog a bath" line is hilarious.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: August 23, 2017 04:56

Where is this Chester fellow been keep his self and his band, sure would love to hear what music he has put out in the last 40 years...Come on Chester lets hear your music and band...............

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 24, 2017 05:55

BamaStone
Where is this Chester fellow been keep his self and his band, sure would love to hear what music he has put out in the last 40 years...Come on Chester lets hear your music and band...............

Wait, so everyone who listens to music and has an opinion about it has to play in a band? I'll be damned.

And sorry, but Tom Petty is boring.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home