Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Date: July 11, 2017 13:27

Good to see you for a refreshing pint after the gig johnnyt... We enjoyed the show from our picnic spot outside the venue. A wonderful atmosphere on a warm Summer's evening in Hyde Park, rock music filling the air as rowers glided serenely across the Serpentine........very reminiscent of some of the scenes from the Stones In The Park film in fact!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2017 14:21

Manofwealthandtaste
Good to see you for a refreshing pint after the gig johnnyt... We enjoyed the show from our picnic spot outside the venue. A wonderful atmosphere on a warm Summer's evening in Hyde Park, rock music filling the air as rowers glided serenely across the Serpentine........very reminiscent of some of the scenes from the Stones In The Park film in fact!

"By the lake with lily flowers
While away the evening hours".....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 14:22 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 11, 2017 15:18

Very poetic!

My more prosaic gig review here

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 15:46 by johnnythunders.

Re: OT Cheap(er) Tom Petty Hyde park tickets released
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: July 11, 2017 17:28

paulywaul
Silver Dagger
paulywaul
johnnythunders
As of just now Double 8 is doing Diamond Circle at £195 (face value £265). Have used them for Stones tickets and found them OK, but obviously as with all re-sellers caveat emptor.They have an office on the Charing Cross Road so you can pick up your tickets when you pay. www.double8tickets.com and look for the Tom Petty logo.

Brilliant, just got myself Diamond Circle ticket for £175 from Double8 ... thanks for the tip Johnny Thunders !! thumbs up

Just got VIP Summer Garden ticket for £65. See you at the bar. Give me a buzz in about 2 hours Pauly.

Sorry we missed each other Mike, drat ! Beast & I successfully met up with Mr Jimmy, Nick B, SonicDreamer ....... a great little IORR get-together at a Tom Petty gig !! cool smiley

A great little IORR get-together indeed! What a day. Great surroundings and fantastic music.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 11, 2017 18:56

Hope Tom doesn't suffer jetlag, I'm seeing him Saturday with Peter Wolf. Maybe a surprise duet with Peter and Mick on Nothing But The Wheel?

Date: July 11, 2017 19:21

Me too - I am seeing them both in Boston next week, really looking forward to it after Hyde Park

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 12, 2017 04:54

17-18 songs come on Tom. Love his stuff however

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 20, 2017 19:30

I saw this show the other night.
Peter Wolf was the opener and he was in a rocking mood and KILLED IT.
Detroit adores that guy.

OK, here goes...
this is officially being billed as the Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 40th Anniversary Tour.

18 song set list.
9 songs are off of Tom Petty SOLO albums.
The Webb Sisters are singing backup.

Not much of an Anniversary Party for the Heartbreakers, if you ask me.
I was close enough to the stage to see that some of these guys are NOT happy with the arrangements and the sisters' vocals during this run.

Great show, but NOT a celebration of a great band.
In my not-so-humble opinion, Petty comes across as a conceited old hippy.
Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-20 20:05 by Kurt.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 20, 2017 19:48

He plays too much into the marijuana vibe of the crowd. Songs like Mary Jane's Last Dance and You Don't Know How It Feels "let's roll another joint" play right into that and get big cheers. Why? I don't know, cause people are very stupid.

I agree, its too much Petty "solo" stuff. You NEED to play Free Fallin', I Won't Back Down and Runnin' Down A Dream from Full Moon Fever. Thats IT. Then ONE or two songs from Wildflowers is good, not 4. You Wreck Me and Wildflowers (or pick any of the other 3) would suffice.

Replace Yer So Bad, Crawling Back To You and Its Good To Be King with The Waiting, I Need To Know, Breakdown, Here Comes My Girl, Even The Losers, Don't Do Me Like That, Insider. Its amazing how many great HIT songs they don't play. Replace some of those Petty solo cuts and add in 4 more songs and you have a better show. Thats my ONLY complaint. Otherwise I have no issues. The Heartbreakers material they choose is good and varied. Two newish, one legitimate deep cut in Walls, a good sprinkling of the hits. He needs 4 less Petty "solo" songs and 3 or 4 more songs added to the set. Add in 2 or 3 more deep cuts and 4 or 5 more hits and you have basically a perfect show and a better 40th anniversary celebration.

Date: July 20, 2017 20:03

I agree with every word of your post RollingFreak.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 20, 2017 20:11

I've NEVER understood the distinction between Petty solo and Petty/Heartbreakers.

Looking at the personnel on Full Moon Fever...okay, that's pretty much a solo album, even though Mike Campbell plays on it and Benmont Tench and Howie Epstein contributed, but Wildflowers IS the Heartbreakers.

Here's a blurb from Wiki:

The album features all members Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, with the exception of drummer Stan Lynch. Steve Ferrone plays drums on Wildflowers and would join the band officially the following year. However, the album was not credited to the Heartbreakers because, in Petty's words, "Rick (Rubin) and I both wanted more freedom than to be strapped into five guys."

Well, that's...stupid. I don't get that rationale at all.

Date: July 20, 2017 20:23

keefriff99
I've NEVER understood the distinction between Petty solo and Petty/Heartbreakers.

Looking at the personnel on Full Moon Fever...okay, that's pretty much a solo album, even though Mike Campbell plays on it and Benmont Tench and Howie Epstein contributed, but Wildflowers IS the Heartbreakers.

Here's a blurb from Wiki:

The album features all members Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, with the exception of drummer Stan Lynch. Steve Ferrone plays drums on Wildflowers and would join the band officially the following year. However, the album was not credited to the Heartbreakers because, in Petty's words, "Rick (Rubin) and I both wanted more freedom than to be strapped into five guys."

Well, that's...stupid. I don't get that rationale at all.

My dad, legitimately, up until last week didn't know that those were technically "solo" albums. Cause they're obviously not, they are Heartbreakers albums for all intents and purposes. But he sort of missed Petty and never knew the albums but just recently got into Damn The Torpedoes. I said thats really the only one, front to back, thats excellent. The others, while all very good, are more anchored by hits. He said what do you mean, Full Moon Fever is excellent. And I had to go into the whole delineation that its technically a solo album. He's like "but they all play on it and wrote songs for it?" and I'm like "yeah, but its technically seen as a solo album."

When you actually explain it to someone you realize the absurdity of it. Yes, they are both basically Heartbreakers albums, as is Highway Companion which is excellent. He ONLY uses the Heartbreakers so to call them solo albums is ridiculous. The videos for Highway Companion is him playing with the Heartbreakers! But he insists on it, and the Heartbreakers albums ARE more band oriented so I do think they should play more of that and less of the stuff "Tom wrote that they just followed his lead on". I always found it hysterical that their Super Bowl spot was 3/4 songs from a "Tom Petty solo album."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-20 20:25 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: July 20, 2017 21:45

Going to try & go on July 29th in Philly. Will try for a ticket that night.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 20, 2017 22:18

Such a great songwriter and catalog; somehow i just am over them; shame on me I know; they really try and really work; they are great distinctive players even; i must be just past it; even tho i'm their age probably; i just have heard most all those songs live by them in the 80's and i'm over it; good as it was; as much as respect Ben, as much as I really loved Stan's drumming and harmonies....wish them a lot of success and will be interested and open to hearing some of it but will not attend personally...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 20, 2017 22:32

Well, I loved their Hyde Park gig but then I've never seen them before. So I probably counted as the equivalent of the average person at a Stones gig lol...

Shoot me down, but the thing I didn't much like was the Webb Sisters. To me, they didn't fit and didn't give the impression either of being that much into it. They just didn't look as if they had their heart and soul in it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 18, 2017 13:53

looking forward to show tomorrow night. sadly, we're not getting joe walsh as the opener. the baseball stadium in seattle is basically sold out for the show.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 18, 2017 16:45

I saw the Philly show and made sure to be there for a solid Peter Wolf opening.

Has anyone pointed out that Petty has gone with a locked setlist the entire tour, with almost no deviation whatsoever - except for cites with two shows and maybe 1-2 song changes?

Just saying. . . to all the Stones set list whiners. Even at their worst they vary 2-3 songs per gig.

HBK

Date: August 18, 2017 17:54

HouseBoyKnows

Has anyone pointed out that Petty has gone with a locked setlist the entire tour, with almost no deviation whatsoever - except for cites with two shows and maybe 1-2 song changes?

Just saying. . . to all the Stones set list whiners. Even at their worst they vary 2-3 songs per gig.

HBK
Lol either you're joking or you've taken zero time to read any of the thread.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 18, 2017 18:11

RollingFreak
HouseBoyKnows

HBK
Lol either you're joking or you've taken zero time to read any of the thread.

No joke. Have not read the thread. Just a random comment. My bad. Will do. Thanks

Date: August 18, 2017 22:03

ya, that's a bit lame especially given what a kick ass band the heartbreakers are. i luv it when springsteen goes out in the crowd & randomly picks songs off of signs that people have. worked out well last time: the only "adam raised a cain" on the whole US tour.

Date: August 20, 2017 15:58

Was disappointed with Tom's show last night. It was a big show being filmed for release. The setlist didn't deviate at all down to the stage patter. Tom didn't seem too into it. The band is still great but probably makes sense to pack it in rather than continue with a paint by numbers thing like some other bands I could name. The Lumineers opened & were quite boring. Like Mumford & Son without the English accent. Can't win 'em all in regards to shows but I'm going to stick to smaller is better ethos. Roger Waters, U2 & Metallica were great this summer & still have the fire but that seemed lacking in last night's show.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 20, 2017 23:26

Saw him Thursday in Vancouver, and he seemed pretty into it - so was the crowd, but I thought he was better last time (2014), with a better setlist (Byrds and Wilburys covers) and had Steve Winwood opening, instead of the Lumineers, which I skipped.

I also thought his last album, 'Hypnotic Eye' was really great. 'Forgotten Man' was a standout live.

Date: August 21, 2017 16:36

My review of the London gig now published in Record Collector magazine (September edition)

Text is here

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Also saw Petty in Boston - similar (not identical) setlist but a fantastic support slot from Peter Wolf, details here

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 21, 2017 16:44

Kurt
being billed as the Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 40th Anniversary Tour.

Strange... that's a 'lefties' guitar.
Neither Tom Petty nor Mike Campbell are left-handed... are they?

Oh well - probably reading too much into it. Probably just for 'graphic' reasons...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 21, 2017 16:56

More like BOMB Petty, amirite, people?

Date: August 21, 2017 16:59

RoughJusticeOnYa

Strange... that's a 'lefties' guitar.
Neither Tom Petty nor Mike Campbell are left-handed... are they?

Oh well - probably reading too much into it. Probably just for 'graphic' reasons...

...Probably since they "left out" songs from the Heartbreakers in half of the set list.

Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: August 21, 2017 20:02

Tom Petty and the band were great in Hyde Park,London
in July 2017 where they played to 65,000 folks.
Saw him at The Royal Albert Hall a few years before that.
One of those American artists that only plays London when
he comes to the UK.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 21, 2017 21:32

I decided to give him a miss last week, I've seen him a few times and he says the same shit at the same time every gig. I also agree with the comment above by RollingFreak. Go on a solo tour if you wanna play the solo stuff.... Especially on an anniversary tour! Play the damn band songs!

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 22, 2017 06:09

One of most overrated, bland artists in history.

Most of his songs are the same song.

Tell me that Free Fallin, Running Down a Dream, Yer So Bad and I Won't Back Down are not the same song.

I think he wrote those while giving his dog a bath and this guy's in the songwriter's hall of fame?

Some early stuff is OK, but it's been played to death. Pretty sure I don't need to hear Refugee ever again in my life.

Date: August 22, 2017 06:33

Chester
One of most overrated, bland artists in history.

Most of his songs are the same song.

Tell me that Free Fallin, Running Down a Dream, Yer So Bad and I Won't Back Down are not the same song.

I think he wrote those while giving his dog a bath and this guy's in the songwriter's hall of fame?

Some early stuff is OK, but it's been played to death. Pretty sure I don't need to hear Refugee ever again in my life.

the songs you just named are all different tempos, rhythms, hooks, etc. how are they the same song to you?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home