Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Harry Styles As Mick Jagger On SNL
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: April 16, 2017 15:50

Re: Harry Styles As Mick Jagger On SNL
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 16, 2017 16:06

Just watching this. It's painful...

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 16, 2017 16:08

Not very good at all. SNL has pained me for years generally.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 16, 2017 16:15

Couldn't get through it, but thanks for posting.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: April 16, 2017 16:18

It seems that every time another celebrity does a Jagger impression the mannerisms get more exaggerated and less funny.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 16, 2017 16:24

Horrid. Those English blokes who travel and eat, them too.
Fallon with Jagger was gold. Rest, give it up. And for the love of God,
no-one play him in a movie. Not even Jimmy Jagger.
Happy Easter.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 16, 2017 16:31

latebloomer

Same.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: April 16, 2017 16:32

I agree, it was bad!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 16, 2017 16:46

But thank you anyway Johnny!!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 16, 2017 17:04

My toes have curled so much I may never walk again.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 16, 2017 17:18

Deltics

Gee, never had that happen just watching TV!

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: April 16, 2017 18:36

The mannerisms and expressions were awful, but wtf was that accent supposed to be? Sid Vicious? confused smiley

Oh well, Happy Easter, everybody!

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: April 16, 2017 18:41

Never liked his Mick Jagger impersonation over the years and this is no exception.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 16, 2017 18:52

I recall seeing a photo of Mick wearing a suit like that in '77, so the costume designer was spot on.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 16, 2017 19:24

MisterDDDD
latebloomer

Same.

And me..............made my broken collar bone seem like a bit of a twinge...........thumbs down

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 16, 2017 20:30

Perhaps everyone here takes Mick Jagger a bit too seriously? I seem to recall everyone on here giving rave reviews when Mick did his Steven Tyler impersonation on SNL 5 years ago -- though Steven Tyler fans were probably cringing.

I thought it was a clever skit, a time travel edition of Family Feud -- with two different John Revoltings, past and present.

I will say, however, that this was probably the worst Richard Dawson impersonation I've ever seen -- not in the ballpark, not even in the same city as the ballpark.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 16, 2017 21:08

Deltics

I get that with Jimmy Fallon, with his "I'm not trying to laugh" laugh.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 16, 2017 21:20

Jimmy Fallon as Johns Travoltas is good, the rest is cringe-making.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 17, 2017 00:53

stonehearted
Perhaps everyone here takes Mick Jagger a bit too seriously? I seem to recall everyone on here giving rave reviews when Mick did his Steven Tyler impersonation on SNL 5 years ago -- though Steven Tyler fans were probably cringing.

I thought it was a clever skit, a time travel edition of Family Feud -- with two different John Revoltings, past and present.

I will say, however, that this was probably the worst Richard Dawson impersonation I've ever seen -- not in the ballpark, not even in the same city as the ballpark.

In fairness, it's not a Richard Dawson impersonation; it's Steve Harvey. And, Kenan Thompson as been on SNL long enough that every game show host he plays is really "Kenan Thompson" game show host.

T@3

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 17, 2017 00:59

It was pretty disappointing episode considering the hype of it being broadcast live in all US time zones. I'm not a Jimmy Fallon fan though. The only thing that made me laugh was the return of "Spicey" & that was the weakest of the 3 Spicey skits thus far. Evidently Melissa McCarthy filmed it elsewhere due to schedule conflicts. Still was far above everthing else on the show. She does an amazing job with the portrayal. Concentration clubs indeed! grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 17, 2017 02:00

TeaAtThree
In fairness, it's not a Richard Dawson impersonation; it's Steve Harvey.
Steve Harvey, who's that? I'm from the 1970s -- you'll have to translate that one.

Only one Family Feud, only one Richard Dawson;

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 17, 2017 18:06

I had no idea who that was doing the impersonation, but I sure as hell knew who was being impersonated
right from the first glimpse - so something was right about it.
Of course it was over-the-top ridiculous. Wasn't it supposed to be?
I actively dislike Fallon, but having him as two Travoltas was cute
even though the impersonations weren't very good. I especially enjoyed
that he didn't always hunker down low enough to keep us from seeing him
racing from one side to the other.

I am easily amused :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 18:32 by with sssoul.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 17, 2017 19:00

Oh cmon now ,it was okay .Not as good as Fallon but it was worth a couple of laughs .

Date: April 17, 2017 19:48

stonehearted

thumbs up Couldn't have said it better myself! I thought it was smart of SNL to have Harry play Mick. And isn't it funny how none of these commentators will boo the Liza Minelli impersonation (spot on, IMO) or the Diana Ross one? And the main problem people seem to have on here with the John Travolta impersonation(s) is that they just don't like Travolta to begin with.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 17, 2017 20:13

Thanx for posting,tho I (like others here)could not watch all of it

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2017 20:17

Don't know which was worse - Styles impersonating Mick or the first song he performed. Is he like the Justin Bieber of England with lots of teeny bopper fans?
Can't comment on the rest of the show as I turned it off after that.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 17, 2017 20:44

saturday night live is on NBC which is owned by comcast corp.comcast poured millions of dollars into the obama and hillary campaigns so you kinda know what you're getting. the show is basically puppets putting on a show their masters want to see.
the right wing does the same crap,you can't just be entertained anymore,it's like our own little pravda.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:21

Very well said Lem motloy

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:57

with sssoul
I had no idea who that was doing the impersonation, but I sure as hell knew who was being impersonated
right from the first glimpse - so something was right about it.
Of course it was over-the-top ridiculous. Wasn't it supposed to be?
I actively dislike Fallon, but having him as two Travoltas was cute
even though the impersonations weren't very good. I especially enjoyed
that he didn't always hunker down low enough to keep us from seeing him
racing from one side to the other.

Mostly agree.
Jagger impersonation was way over the top - and that was obviously intended.

The feature was ....Jimmy Fallon.
who can be talented and annoying / sincere and phony / funny and forced ... all at the same time.
In person, he actually seems pretty humble, imo. At the Exhibitionism opening, while the Rolling Stones snuck in the back door unobserved by those of us waiting for a glimpse of them walking down the pink carpet... Jimmy Fallon obliged the fans across the street who called out his name as he and Lorne Michaels were about to enter the show. He ran across the narrow street and posed for photos with people before coming back across and posing with one or two more people.

Back in the day, when I was working the weekend at 30 Rock, one great fringe benefit was Saturday afternoon around 4pm. When I saw the CCTV setting up on the music stage, that's when it was time for my break. One time, I stood on the floor down in 8H as Beck played. I turned around and noticed that Jimmy Fallon was standing next to me. Dancing, air-guitar, etc - not because he was acting like he was the center of attention or something... He was just real into it.

His trying-not-to-laugh crutch/schtick gets pretty old. I think that not getting down low under the camera shot as he raced back and forth might have been on purpose ... same kind of thing in a way... (Letting the tv audience at home in on the gag that the studio audience was watching.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 04:03 by schillid.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 17, 2017 22:01

lem motlow
saturday night live is on NBC which is owned by comcast corp.comcast poured millions of dollars into the obama and hillary campaigns so you kinda know what you're getting. the show is basically puppets putting on a show their masters want to see.
the right wing does the same crap,you can't just be entertained anymore,it's like our own little pravda.

ahhh...political? I guess we are never too many steps away but you seem to be going out of your way to make a political point here.

...as far as the impersonation goes, it was pretty awful but it did make me laff, so I guess that's the point. He'll never get the "Jagger" gig in a biopic if they're using that footage for casting mind you. Fallon, for all his faults is a master of impression, he's excellent actually.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home