Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Welcome to New York 1972
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 15, 2017 16:56

I just revisited this show, although I've had it for years I sort of forgot about it. The version I have has the first part of the set (up until "Tumbling Dice") in mono. The second half is a pretty good stereo mix. I read that the source tapes haven't been found or that only the second half was? Anybody have any more info on this show?

I especially like the riff that Taylor plays on the outro of "Jumpin Jack Flash". I can't recall if I've heard him play that before or after.

Also, is there a stereo version of "Rocks Off" from the Taylor period?

Re: Welcome to New York 1972
Date: April 15, 2017 17:02

Philly and Perth are in stereo. Probably others as well.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: April 15, 2017 17:11

Always wondered who is playing congas (bongos) on you can't always get what you want??

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 15, 2017 17:49

ollie brown

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: April 15, 2017 22:47

potus43
ollie brown

Ah makes sense stevie's band on tour with them.

Date: April 15, 2017 23:33

Taylor is toying with the original riff and his toggle switch.During the outro a fine melodic approach on the lower strings. I love it.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 23:48 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 16, 2017 04:43

The second part of the show circulated on bootlegs since the days of records. There was a popular boot in which Taylor was prominent and Keith barely audible, then better stereo versions of the second part surfaced. (this is the Mick birthday show obviously, the finale of the 72 tour).

The first part of the show you have was taped by a friend of mine. he was ejected from the garden in the middle of Love in Vain when everyone sat down and his mic was noticed. I have the cassette he gave me, and I traded with a very well known trader who posts here sometimes and from there it has circulated.

Funny story -- the guy actually called the Garden and asked if taping was Ok and was told it was (probably by someone who had a good laugh). When he was nabbed and tried to argue that he was told it was OK, he was told, OK, step through this door and wait here, and he found himself on the street.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 16, 2017 12:43

TheflyingDutchman
Taylor is toying with the original riff and his toggle switch.During the outro a fine melodic approach on the lower strings. I love it.

[www.youtube.com]

Yup, one of the best versions.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 16, 2017 15:50

I was at one of those shows at MSG in 1972.

Brown Sugar opening........electrifying!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 17, 2017 17:24

DandelionPowderman

I need to get Philly. I forgot about Perth because the mix kind of sucks. I think some of the Texas stuff is too. Thanks!

Date: April 17, 2017 17:31

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I need to get Philly. I forgot about Perth because the mix kind of sucks. I think some of the Texas stuff is too. Thanks!

Philly Special has reversed channels, though. Still my favourite version.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: April 24, 2017 02:06

Rokyfan
The second part of the show circulated on bootlegs since the days of records. There was a popular boot in which Taylor was prominent and Keith barely audible, then better stereo versions of the second part surfaced. (this is the Mick birthday show obviously, the finale of the 72 tour).

The first part of the show you have was taped by a friend of mine. he was ejected from the garden in the middle of Love in Vain when everyone sat down and his mic was noticed. I have the cassette he gave me, and I traded with a very well known trader who posts here sometimes and from there it has circulated.

Funny story -- the guy actually called the Garden and asked if taping was Ok and was told it was (probably by someone who had a good laugh). When he was nabbed and tried to argue that he was told it was OK, he was told, OK, step through this door and wait here, and he found himself on the street.

@Rokyfan, I assume you're referring to me as the trader. I love the story of your friend's recording. I'd lost contact with you; glad to see you're still around.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 24, 2017 11:25

Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman

[www.youtube.com]

This version comprises all I don't like of the late Taylor years. No love in Taylor'e intrusive playing and Keith couldn't give a damn. All the grace of the previous tours gone!

C

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 24, 2017 13:32

The original Mick's Birthday was apparently a radio broadcast - from All Down The Line to Jumping Jack Flash.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 24, 2017 18:00

liddas
Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman

[www.youtube.com]

This version comprises all I don't like of the late Taylor years. No love in Taylor'e intrusive playing and Keith couldn't give a damn. All the grace of the previous tours gone!

C

on that tour the songs had a frenzied quality, the whole presentation uniquely

wild, over the top and crazy with energy.

i dont know if that version is an example of the 'late Taylor years' but its surely a good example of that frenzy..

Posted by: dph ()
Date: April 25, 2017 03:59

Silver Dagger
The original Mick's Birthday was apparently a radio broadcast - from All Down The Line to Jumping Jack Flash.

Don't think so. The story I heard is someone stole the tape the Stones were recording for themselves at the soundboard. That got pressed into the TMOQ bootleg Welcome to New York. The tape has never circulated; the LP is the only source.

Posted by: miraclemuffler ()
Date: April 26, 2017 12:52

Incidentally, I have a copy of that original TMOQ pressing with deluxe cover on red vinyl for sale, should anyone be interested...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 26, 2017 21:13

dph
Silver Dagger

Don't think so. The story I heard is someone stole the tape the Stones were recording for themselves at the soundboard. That got pressed into the TMOQ bootleg Welcome to New York. The tape has never circulated; the LP is the only source.
You are correct. There were no radio broadcasts from the 72 tour.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 26, 2017 22:05

Love In Vain so good here. Nicky with those flourishes, even in conjunction with, meaning at the same time, as Taylors amazingly soulful lead. Exquisite version imo. It's all working together so beautifully.

Date: April 26, 2017 22:15

Rokyfan
dph
Silver Dagger

You are correct. There were no radio broadcasts from the 72 tour.

This is very cool: to hear from the actual lowdown pirates from back in the day, who jump started the whole boot legends.

On this JJF recording they seem to speed up in the instrumental break.
I can see liddas' point - there isn't near the interplay of guitars. There's two guitars, and they are both pretty interesting, but they aren't all that married.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 26, 2017 23:59

TheflyingDutchman

[www.youtube.com]

Awesome!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 27, 2017 17:42

The Welcome To New York vinylboot sounds stereo,
The vinyl has black labels and William Stout on the albumcover.
Setlist:
Band Introduction
Bye Bye Johnny
Rip This Joint
Jumping Jack - outstanding
Love In Vain
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down The Line
Midnight Rambler

Just listened through my headphones: great Band bootleg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 19:05 by runaway.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: April 27, 2017 22:50

Yes, one of my early vinyl purchases. I still own it, all these years later.

I still recall the rush I felt after my first listen

Hasn't been a feeling like that for a while, thanks for the memory

Date: April 28, 2017 00:33

It sounded much much better in person; but I am so very grateful for this boot.
I've told people about this show many times over the years. It's the best rock and roll show I've ever been to. I am so glad to hear songs from this boot. I am just finding it and starting to get into it...but i was there Good God Almighty it was off the hook, grander than grand. I just found this clip below, it's stunning to my memory and giving me thrills and chills and those full 'shivers' we were talking about another thread....
[www.youtube.com]
Rolling Stones/Micks Birthday 1972 Private Film + S. Wonder

This clip was uploaded ten years ago and somehow I never saw it or even heard of it till just now...and i'm full on stunned. because this is part of my life!!
THIS is the very show and scene that drove me crazy and I never got sane...

"Rock critic Robert Christgau reported that the mood of the shows was friendly, with Jagger "undercut[ting] his fabled demonism by playing the clown, the village idiot, the marionette."

You can see how much bloody FUN it was. as well as hear on the boot some of the passion and intensity and virtuosity ....it was intense and incredible. I am so glad to find this; i do not know how I missed itl but it's been in my memory very very clear for 45 years!!!
wow. I am pretty emo seeing this...what a night. Happy Birthday Mick. This was an incredible night of my life. I will forever be grateful for all the guys on stage that night...it was fun, intimate, passionate...laughter and tears. it was incredible. it was for real...Mick turning 29.

i was close; Great seats. not super duper first ten rows close but very close and on the floor in the center and the sound was PERFECT...I hope somewhere, somehow they get a really really great recording of some of this but I am not complaining but what is available; I'm thrilled w it. I did not expect Stevie to come out with Mick for the encore. For both bands to be jamming like that. I did not know about his birthday; the cake fight blew everybodys mind...

so it's not like i'm with the band or had access passes or anything like that; just a fan lucky enough to win the lottery , along with an arena full of people...i had sent in dozens and dozens of post cards. I wanted this bad!!!
Eoms had only been out a few weeks. SF was still in regular play all the time with me and my friends...and now exile.

we were totally totally into it...it was no mystery; it did not take time for it to 'sink in' or for us get thru the famed 'muddy' mix and all that. it was perfect. the vinyl sounded totally great; tons of impact...those days home steroes had bass and treble knobs...it was reaaalll good...it was an instant hit....it did not take a long time for people to dig it; at least not the young people, and i was very young too, that I hung with and knew...nope. it was pure platinum ecstasy and as obviously transcendent and exciting as bleed or sticky or banquet and RIGHT off the bat...then RTJ comes on second????!!! I mean holy hell.,..THATS the way they were live...

...u can see that in L&G filmed less than, or about a month before...(I saw them July 4th in d.c. too...that was my first tour seeing them and I was going to go anywhere within a few hundred miles no problem....not one hestitation...
....tho i lived in ny...so the Garden was easy and quick to get to...

I've heard different reports about the pricings but I can tell you for sure they cost $15.00. If you won the 'lottery' you had to buy 4 tix....no problem with that...you DID NOT get a choice of a particular night or show. they played monday tuesday (twice) and Wednesday was Mick's birthday show. That's just how it worked as a matter of fate and luck...i did not request hey give me this night or this seat....if u got a chance to buy them, wow, you just did and went where they put you. We were incredibly fortuante. I'm incredibly grateful. I've just seen this clip...i've seen stills. maybe even short rough snippets somewhere along the way from this...but never this much of that private filming...dunno who did it or any of that...

for me ladies and gentlemen, dear friends and fans...this was IT. this was thee night thee show thee time....nothing has ever beaten this in all my years as a concert fan before or after. I stand by this 100%. It was incredible. and it was FUN...there was a special feel with the fans and the band...we were all not THAT far from the same general age...it was all just US u know....for me it is on this night the sixties ended....nothing has ever touched this and i've seen most everybody...not everybody of course but MOST all of who I ever wanted to see...only a very few exceptions I did not get to....like Kinks and that's a heartbreaker....but a LOT of classic famous shows...nothing but nothing touched this. stevie was so good; i can't believe ANYBODY followed him! IN D.C. I actually thoght Wonderlove the better band and show! Honestly did!!!
not this night.
zep had a NA tour that same Spring...they were at what Page considers their peak...they were overshadowed by The Stones and not happy about it. They ended up hiring the same PR team afterwards...they were irrelevant to me completely compared to this...i did not even try to get a zep ticket. I'd seen them in '69 and they were super duper but come on...NOBODY could touch this and no one did.
nothing and no one could, or ever would, imo, touch this.

so in a tiny way i got to be a part, along with yes 15 or so other thousand fans...but you know. It was the very first day of Mick's very last year of his twenties...there was cake. It was comical how people were ducking trying to get out of the way...i'm so glad to have stumbled onto this clip today. wow. Thank you Mick, Keith, MickT, Bill, Charlie, Stu, Nicky, Bobby, Jim. I will never forget this to my dying day; it's been 45 years and I swear it's a very very clear memory; my particular friends...a lot of details...it was extraorginary; it was bliss. I've seen prime Zep, Who and etc...times dozens of the greatest of the greats. some many many times.
nothing touched this. for me; this is it.

I was at Woodstock. of course I was! I lived in NY. My grandparents had a place in upstate NY not that far from Bethel. OF course I'd go. There were a half million other people there too. But ten million people claim to have been there...
at least haha...

...so u can believe it or not; because for some fans, like me, this was the Holy Grail...but it was a true gift to get to go. I had hope but not tons of it. I think they got way more requests than they could fill...i don't remember the particulars of that...i DO remember sending in all those post cards, addressing each one by hand but the rest of that process is fuzzy in memory...
it was four shows in three consecutive days...so somewhere close to 65 or 70,000 people DID see them those 3 days...4 shows...and they had to run a lottery for a chance to buy?? wow.

so please, if I am a little seeming too critical about this or that show in other years, or tours, please forgive. THIS is what I had experienced. and it's indelible. It got me thru to deep in my soul and heart. and from the top hair on my head to the bottom of my bootheels. this was it. Bill Wyman, btw, was every bit a part of this show than the other four. every bit. it was mind blowing...i'm still not over it. at this point i don't think I will ever get over it. and hope I do not. It would mean my funeral. and maybe after that. I'd e telling St. Peter all about it. Or the other guy...
hopefully the former. Christgau was right!!! It was not about shtick or 'the devil' stuff. it was fun and somehow intimate and warm and very very intentional and passionate....we were all together on this one; everyone in the bands and everyone in the joint...you could feel it; I don't even think I had a drink. A little canna med at the show sure...and no one was all busting you...the security wasn't all uptight....
....this may have been their very peak...tho I'm still w 'em...everyday I listen...every show that's periscoped I sit there thru the whole thing like a kook, frantically searching for the best scoper...i even watch their not so very good shows...i even watched the private party in Foxboro...so it's not like I'm all past tense w them. but boy this was it. They were having a ball; it was filled with joy. I'm still on the high. And very grateful to BV and you all for this site. Thank you. I might fade out for awhile. i go on and on in these posts sometimes and do not want to take up all this much space...i just get into it and can't stop sometimes. thank u for indulging me...peaceout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-28 00:36 by hopkins.

Date: April 28, 2017 00:49

hopkins
I've told people about this show many times over the years. It's the best rock and roll show I've ever been to. I am so glad to hear songs from this boot. I am just finding it and starting to get into it...but i was there Good God Almighty it was off the hook, grander than grand. I just found this clip below, it's stunning to my memory and giving me thrills and chills and those full 'shivers' we were talking about another thread....
[www.youtube.com]
Rolling Stones/Micks Birthday 1972 Private Film + S. Wonder

This clip was uploaded ten years ago and somehow I never saw it or even heard of it till just now...and i'm full on stunned. because this is part of my life!!
THIS is the very show and scene that drove me crazy and I never got sane...

"Rock critic Robert Christgau reported that the mood of the shows was friendly, with Jagger "undercut[ting] his fabled demonism by playing the clown, the village idiot, the marionette."

You can see how much bloody FUN it was. as well as hear on the boot some of the passion and intensity and virtuosity ....it was intense and incredible. I am so glad to find this; i do not know how I missed itl but it's been in my memory very very clear for 45 years!!!
wow. I am pretty emo seeing this...what a night. Happy Birthday Mick. This was an incredible night of my life. I will forever be grateful for all the guys on stage that night...it was fun, intimate, passionate...laughter and tears. it was incredible. it was for real...Mick turning 29.

i was close; Great seats. not super duper first ten rows close but very close and on the floor in the center and the sound was PERFECT...I hope somewhere, somehow they get a really really great recording of some of this but I am not complaining but what is available; I'm thrilled w it. I did not expect Stevie to come out with Mick for the encore. For both bands to be jamming like that. I did not know about his birthday; the cake fight blew everybodys mind...

so it's not like i'm with the band or had access passes or anything like that; just a fan lucky enough to win the lottery , along with an arena full of people...i had sent in dozens and dozens of post cards. I wanted this bad!!!
Eoms had only been out a few weeks. SF was still in regular play all the time with me and my friends...and now exile.

we were totally totally into it...it was no mystery; it did not take time for it to 'sink in' or for us get thru the famed 'muddy' mix and all that. it was perfect. the vinyl sounded totally great; tons of impact...those days home steroes had bass and treble knobs...it was reaaalll good...it was an instant hit....it did not take a long time for people to dig it; at least not the young people, and i was very young too, that I hung with and knew...nope. it was pure platinum ecstasy and as obviously transcendent and exciting as bleed or sticky or banquet and RIGHT off the bat...then RTJ comes on second????!!! I mean holy hell.,..THATS the way they were live...

...u can see that in L&G filmed less than, or about a month before...(I saw them July 4th in d.c. too...that was my first tour seeing them and I was going to go anywhere within a few hundred miles no problem....not one hestitation...
....tho i lived in ny...so the Garden was easy and quick to get to...

I've heard different reports about the pricings but I can tell you for sure they cost $15.00. If you won the 'lottery' you had to buy 4 tix....no problem with that...you DID NOT get a choice of a particular night or show. they played monday tuesday (twice) and Wednesday was Mick's birthday show. That's just how it worked as a matter of fate and luck...i did not request hey give me this night or this seat....if u got a chance to buy them, wow, you just did and went where they put you. We were incredibly fortuante. I'm incredibly grateful. I've just seen this clip...i've seen stills. maybe even short rough snippets somewhere along the way from this...but never this much of that private filming...dunno who did it or any of that...

for me ladies and gentlemen, dear friends and fans...this was IT. this was thee night thee show thee time....nothing has ever beaten this in all my years as a concert fan before or after. I stand by this 100%. It was incredible. and it was FUN...there was a special feel with the fans and the band...we were all not THAT far from the same general age...it was all just US u know....for me it is on this night the sixties ended....nothing has ever touched this and i've seen most everybody...not everybody of course but MOST all of who I ever wanted to see...only a very few exceptions I did not get to....like Kinks and that's a heartbreaker....but a LOT of classic famous shows...nothing but nothing touched this. stevie was so good; i can't believe ANYBODY followed him! IN D.C. I actually thoght Wonderlove the better band and show! Honestly did!!!
not this night.
zep had a NA tour that same Spring...they were at what Page considers their peak...they were overshadowed by The Stones and not happy about it. They ended up hiring the same PR team afterwards...they were irrelevant to me completely compared to this...i did not even try to get a zep ticket. I'd seen them in '69 and they were super duper but come on...NOBODY could touch this and no one did.

so in a tiny way i got to be a part, along with yes 15 or so other thousand fans...but you know. It was the very first day of Mick's very last year of his twenties...there was cake. It was comical how people were ducking trying to get out of the way...i'm so glad to have stumbled onto this clip today. wow. Thank you Mick, Keith, MickT, Bill, Charlie, Stu, Nicky, Bobby, Jim. I will never forget this to my dying day; it's been 45 years and I swear it's a very very clear memory; my particular friends...a lot of details...it was extraorginary; it was bliss. I've seen prime Zep, Who and etc...times dozens of the greatest of the greats. some many many times.
nothing touched this. for me; this is it.

I was at Woodstock. of course I was! I lived in NY. My grandparents had a place in upstate NY not that far from Bethel. OF course I'd go. There were a half million other people there too. But ten million people claim to have been there...
at least haha...

...so u can believe it or not; because for some fans, like me, this was the Holy Grail...but it was a true gift to get to go. I had hope but not tons of it. I think they got way more requests than they could fill...i don't remember the particulars of that...i DO remember sending in all those post cards, addressing each one by hand but the rest of that process is fuzzy in memory...
it was four shows in three consecutive days...so somewhere close to 65 or 70,000 people DID see them those 3 days...4 shows...and they had to run a lottery for a chance to buy?? wow.

so please, if I am a little seeming too critical about this or that show in other years, or tours, please forgive. THIS is what I had experienced. and it's indelible. It got me thru to deep in my soul and heart. and from the top hair on my head to the bottom of my bootheels. this was it. Bill Wyman, btw, was every bit a part of this show than the other four. every bit. it was mind blowing...i'm still not over it. at this point i don't think I will ever get over it. and hope I do not. It would mean my funeral. and maybe after that. I'd e telling St. Peter all about it. Or the other guy...
hopefully the former. Christgau was right!!! It was not about shtick or 'the devil' stuff. it was fun and somehow intimate and warm and very very intentional and passionate....we were all together on this one; everyone in the bands and everyone in the joint...you could feel it; I don't even think I had a drink. A little canna med at the show sure...and no one was all busting you...the security wasn't all uptight....
....this may have been their very peak...tho I'm still w 'em...everyday I listen...every show that's periscoped I sit there thru the whole thing like a kook, frantically searching for the best scoper...i even watch their not so very good shows...i even watched the private party in Foxboro...so it's not like I'm all past tense w them. but boy this was it. They were having a ball; it was filled with joy. I'm still on the high. And very grateful to BV and you all for this site. Thank you. I might fade out for awhile. i go on and on in these posts sometimes and do not want to take up all this much space...i just get into it and can't stop sometimes. thank u for indulging me...peaceout.

thumbs up

Date: April 28, 2017 02:00

thank you DandlionPowerman!! smiling smiley

"this is a small section of a historic silent film that was shot on aug 27, 1972 at Madison Square Garden in NYC. by close friend of the band and manager of Delaney and Bonnie, Alan Pariser (PariserArchives.com).
the entire reel runs over 20 mins and features, among other performance moments, a huge birthday cake presented to mick on the occasion of his birthday...the band then proceeds to get into a cake fight!
While there is a lot of film footage from the 1972 tour, its strange that this moment was not preserved in a more proffessional manner! Luckily, Alan was in on it and filmed this piece of Rock history!
The soundtrack comes from a soundboard tape that circulates among collectors.
The end of the film (partially featured here) depicts the encore when opening act Stevie Wonder and band are brought on for the ending song, Mick leading Stevie across the stage. ENJOY!"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

boy check out that stand of multiple Ampegs (I think) on Keith's side; all the amps visible both sides actually. I'm not sure what kind of amps they were all using; or if K had some stacks on both sides and etc...
...or what Bill was using those days. I mean they came with POWER from the STAGE as well as the vocs from the P.A. u know? and I guess the pianos thru the P.A. too...but all that guitar amplification right in your face blasting off like that....u could feel it. it was LOUD. haha Keith turns around just in time to see Mick, who had already been multiply attacked, do the full on wind-up and he immediately ducks REAL low and Charlie takes the hit haha...boys will be boys...I can see Taylor; I don't think he started it, but it was from his side of the stage, musta been Bobby or Stu, but someone really whipped it at him...Mick takes in stride and immediately loads up, looks like he was going for Keith but not fast enough haha....lol...Charlie takes the hit right in the noggin...I see some glasses of sparkly too. Looks like the right side of Bobby's jacket is wiped out. Wonderlove jamming hard. Everyone is dancing their asses off. Stevie's in the middle of this full chaos and never stops dancing...In the crowd too. wow. shivers. This is what "get down" meant. whooo boy...full on wild. Someone from behind the amps hits him too. He was getting wiped out pretty good there from all angles. I don't remember but I'm guessing Bill didn't change his expression haha...or maybe arched an eyebrow...what a show.
The show started with crazy full bore energy! Encore intensity for anybody else, right from BS, & somehow maintained that and got even hotter. It was perfect.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-28 02:41 by hopkins.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: April 28, 2017 06:14

hopkins
I've told people about this show many times over the years. It's the best rock and roll show I've ever been to.

Christgau was right!!! It was not about shtick or 'the devil' stuff. it was fun and somehow intimate and warm and very very intentional and passionate....

Lovely post, hopkins! We had similar experiences that summer, although I came to slighty different conclusions:

1. I saw the band about six weeks before you did and it was indeed an adrenaline rush. They were soooo good and the crowd was crazy and the sound was wonderful and I was soooo @#$%& high ... all in all, one of the three or four best rock shows I've ever been to. (Zeppelin a month later was probably #2, and Bowie four months later at the Santa Monica Civic was an undisputed #1).)

2. At least at my school, Zeppelin was the hotter ticket that summer. Zepp was slightly younger, closer to the fans; The Stones were established demi-gods already and had arguably (at least in my opinion) hit their live and creative peak with the '69 tour of North America.

3. Christgau hit the nail on the head. I was not interested in "the clown, the village idiot, the marionette." (The addition of Ronnie Wood several years later would seal their fate as goofy good-time rock'n'rollers, the ultimate party band for the luxury box crowd.) I was into the band I saw in the Maysles' Gimme Shelter: teetering on the edge of the apocalypse, playing as if their lives depended on it, rather than just putting on a "great show."

In any event, it was indeed a watershed tour, full of incredible energy and mind-blowing excitement!

Date: April 28, 2017 11:14

would have LOVED to have seen them in '69. I hear you tho and appreciate the comment. for me '72 was great. for both of us really! if it's in your top 5...
keith was savage in '72. there was not a shred of show biz anywhere near him or Bill; yes it was fun; yes we bounced the big balls onto the stage with them and all that...but the band was serious as a heart attack. they were punched in and came to WORK... it was very far from a clown show. very very very far from a clown show...i think christgau is remarking about the fludity and wide range of Jaggers perfect physicality and incredible energy....that whole show was about 70 minutes....i remember checking the time...but it waws more than enough...\
...they ran out there fresh and they spent every shred of energy doing what they did that night. they gave everything. it was not a clown show...i'm kinda sorry i brought that critics comment into it....in a way...tho it did express the great joy of the evenings event in many ways...

i think a lot of the 'devil' and edgy stuff was always PR...
i appreciate Christgaus comments but really Mick was working too hard to just be relegated a 'clown' here. his moves were fantastic and natural; he was really cutting loose and rockin and rolling. I can't and never would criticize '69. i wasn't there but just the boot and then ya yas. and everything going on at that time. for me seeing them a few weeks after exile was released, and a few months after it was finished....was tops. in '69 we did not have sticky fingers..

..i don't want to make too much of a comparison because it's all great stuff. i particuarly appreciated being there with ALL the same guys who actually created the golden period. 69 did not have nicky, who might as well as had almost a writing credit for SEVERAL of their very most important tracks including Sympathy which made them immortal on banquets and etc...nothing they ever did or would do would imo would equal seeing this band fresh off of sticky fingers and exile on main street...
then again david, who i actually met and talked to once but never saw live...i adored him in so many ways but i'm a rock and roller with the roll...david was a different thing as was jimmy with bonham....

i saw zep in '69 or was it 70...? may 25, 1969 was the night I saw zep. they were magnificent. it was really hard for Townshend to get the crowd settled down after they zep's opening act and several encores...he had to come out on stage applauding...all that long time between sets later...and the first thing that happened was he shouted 'led zeppelin!' into the mike while applauding and letting his guiitar hang down...before they even started....it was one of the most masterful things i have ever seen. The Who were NOT gonna get blown off the stage by ANYBODY...and did not....neither did zep get 'blown away' or did their intensity and accomplishment get diminsihed.

we're talking the very best at their very best at this point imo. this was less than 3 months before their Woodstock show which was filmed...and it was a better show than that imo...and even The Who, who I adored above almost all others, did not have, even at their best...that wyman watts thing...and john and pete as excellent and groundbreaking as they were...were not that classic two guitar setup...and no '88's....so we can only make 'comparisons' for fun as fans. what we do agree about is that it was one of the best shows that either of us have seen....which speaks volumes. i am so happy to talk to you and other fans from that era...ty. it means a lot to me....as a frame of reference and i appreciate it.

Mick was MUCH more than a clown. watch ladies and gents...he was loose and having fun....which in itself showed great confidence with the material and the band and all the long years of rehearsing swriting and recording al that stuff....which is still pretty much their set btw...haha....nope, i appreciate christgau as far as that cvomment goes...but Mick was MUCH MUCH MUCH more than a clown. no one was leaving thinking 'wasn't mick a clown'...that was robert's creative license and just a sentence from that review...i didn['t see the rest of it...i'd like to find it...

but really i could care less what a critic or anybody else said, u rememeber those days... WE the kids, the fans were in charge of who was good and who was not...as far as clown shtick. jimmy with that violin bow and all that hocus pocus was as corny as screaming jay hawkings...
one can't assign 'clownship' to mick and think of zep as all that 'heavy' and 'serious' or something...that's myth. it's showbiz...page, for all his great beauty and willowy fragility somehow making that huge powerful rocking sound...well it was enormous and beautiful and striking...and i had those fitst four zep albums and loved them. but i never thought they were in league with The Kinks or The Stones or some real Invasion band that really represented a distinct and direct connection to the best of all that came before in rock and roll .

zep was a different thing...it['s like comparing the Yardbirds to Elvis or Little Richard....ones a rave up and the others are the heart soul invention creation and explosion of rock with the big ass roll....cheers and thanks...this is great fun for me...appreciate it. we were pretty lucky to have all that going on...i guess i had just about barely turned into my twenties as the Stones were leaving theres....when The Stones were doing Rt. 66 and winning my heart as a 12 year old....well i don't know what the yardbirds were doing just yet...as far as the Yardbirds i loved them and had everything they ever put out in all their manifestations but it was never really rock and roll...

.and Beck was the star of that outfit imo. i am sure we'd disagree about that. i think page sloppy live compared to Beck, who i have also seen life....beck CREATED what zep kinda launched out from...there would have never been a zep without those two Beck albums...never....jimmy would not have thought to do what he ended up doing...he had no guide or idea until beck did what he did imo....and to think Ronnie was part of that...amazing....ron being the clown was not the case when he was working for Beck. listen to what he's doing there...he's one of rocks great unheralded bass players,.....what he does with the stones is nothing compared to that imo...and not much compared to what he did with Favces...72 was the culmination and peak...

i am SURE there are MANY nights i would put on ya yas, and DO, without thinking of the ladies and gents stuff...,so i def hear you on that...wish i had seen '69....and i respect zep a lot; this is NOT a put down on them i'km sorry if it sounds like that,...i sort of agreee with Keith about them...i don't agree with a lot of keith's patented jive but i hear him about the thudding lack of roll in zep...i heard She's So Cold on the radio last week and then they played a zep song. and the heavy riff repeats over and over endlessly. i had to change the channel it rocked but it did not move...at least thats my take....im gonna listen to some live 69 right now!!!! Liver Than You'll Be was my first boot and it's one of the few vinyl records I still have...it's kids like me that made them HAVE to put out ya yas.... smileys with beer
they were losing money!! mick can't have that!! haha

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 28, 2017 11:27

Hopkins, that's some best stuff I ever seen in this site! You are a treasure!!!

Also a great privilege to read LBA72's slightly different impressions from the times. Interesting changes had happened in both seeing The Stones and what they were like between 1969 and 1972.

I am all ears!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-28 11:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: April 28, 2017 15:54

I hear ya, hopkins—we woulda had great fun hanging out back in the day!

72 was magnificent. You won't hear me saying a bad word about it. The band was a tornado and Mick was a beautiful whirling dervish. Great, great stuff.

I have perhaps mythologized the 69 tour beyond what it really was. I was only 14 then and about a year too young to attend, to my great chagrin. Wish I'd been a little older or a little more independent to have gotten myself up to the L.A. Forum on that November night.

What I saw in the Maysles film and heard on the 69 boots and Ya-Ya's was the sexiest, most dangerous, most badass, most rebellious thing I'd ever come across. I agree that the demonism, the Crowley stuff, was mostly PR; just an updated version of the con they'd run a few years earlier with Andrew Loog Oldham. But when you listened to that band in 69, with Taylor freshly on board, they sounded almost ... experimental. They were full of sound and fury, of course, and right in the eye of the cultural hurricane that was the late 60's in America ... but there was also a searching, a poignancy, an uncertainty about those shows that I found utterly fascinating.

By 72 that spirit had changed. They were a well-oiled (if still charmingly ragged) rock'n'roll juggernaut and you could see the seeds of the stadium-filling phenomenon they would shortly become. The "clown" aspect was not really at the forefront, yet. That would come in 75 with the addition of Ronnie. I think what Christgau was responding to was probably something similar to the disillusionment that people like Bukowski and Lester Bangs also felt: the Stones, while magnificent, had morphed ever-so-slightly by 72 into an extravaganza, a spectacle, if you will.

And I hear you about Zeppelin and their occasional lack of "feel." They never met a song they couldn't bludgeon! But my god the moments of majesty those guys could conjure up ... they could cut through some of the Tolkien-infused hokum with a magnificent eleven-minute opera like "In My Time of Dying" that just obliterated any doubts.

Before that wonderful triumvirate of Stones/Zeppelin/Bowie shows in 72 I had seen The Who, my first real rock show, in the fall of 71. Also great stuff, the Who's Next tour, but I was there with a girl who wasn't really into it while my boys sat a couple of sections away and had a marvelous night ... oh, well.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home