Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: 13.04.1967 Warsaw - It Was 50 years Ago
Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: September 21, 2020 10:23

Grzegorz you don't need use your polish to understand the book because translation to english is included. It's separate red book.
I saw it on allegro for around 20 quid.
Chorzow was great show I had fos. If my memory serves me well it cost 199 pln, less then 50 eur today.

grzegorz67
bisonvodka
grzegorz67
bisonvodka
Thanks Child, incredible story. He must be lucky to get in. Demand of tickets was huge and most of people interested to see the Stones didn't get it.

My Polish friend's mum, then 21 climbed in through a window. I've always been very interested in these 2 shows, since I became aware of them. I was also born 2 weeks later!

I was at Chorzow 1998 & Warsaw 2018. Both very good shows. I had a ticket for the cancelled 2006 show at Lotnisko Bemovo in Warsaw.

Grzegorz67 you should get copy of delux edition of book "The Rolling Stones Warszawa' 67". Delux edition has english translation, extra photos and reprinnt of Warsaw poster. My copy number 176 is signed by Charlie and Bill smiling smiley

Dziekuje bardzo Pan Bison Vodka winking smiley Down the years, I’ve met a few people who’ve said they were there. I speak and understand a bit of Polish (I’m a Scot) but certainly not enough to understand the PL version of that book. In ‘98, Like the Stones themselves, I stayed in Warsaw (The Hotel Polonia on Jerozelimskie, they were in the Bristol). I got a horrendously slow bus from Warsaw to Chorzow down the E77 (7hours each way!!!) It was a special bus for fans, most of whom spoke good English. They had magazines with a big article all about the ‘67 shows.

I remember there being big excitement in the media around the 98 show and i have newspaper cuttings from it - Rzeczpospolita and gazeta.

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: January 5, 2022 04:02

Nice upgrade to the Warsaw '67 footage - apologies if already posted

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 5, 2022 14:47

soundboard
Nice upgrade to the Warsaw '67 footage - apologies if already posted

video: [www.youtube.com]

whoo hoo!

that was incredible much better then the previous source on youtube

i'd say that the first great new find this year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-05 15:17 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 5, 2022 15:13

Doxa
Well, KGB was in presence at Warsaw show, reporting it all to Moscow, and they had microphones everywhere and were taping everything, so... A missing Stones show in some of their archives... grinning smiley

this has got to be the single most bizarre possible bits of the band's history

can't believe i'm asking this but does anyone know if the kgb actually recorded these shows?

and if they did do the tapes still exist?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 14, 2022 14:05

An interesting article about these shows appeared on the Polish Institute Of National Remembrance page. The article is devoted to the actions taken by the Citizens’ Militia in connection with these concerts and also presents the background, proceedings and consequences of the riots that accompanied the band’s performances. The author used little known documents from the INR Archive, memoirs, press articles, Internet publications, film materials, sound recordings and photographs. It also debunks some myths about these shows.

Unfortunately it's only in Polish but pages 17 & 19 contain English translation of a Memorandum by Militia Officers which sheds some light on what happened.

[journals.indexcopernicus.com]

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: February 19, 2022 04:00

very good stories!
but please, could someone re-publish the photos on pages 1 and 2?
Thanks a lot!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 20, 2022 11:55

franzk
An interesting article about these shows appeared on the Polish Institute Of National Remembrance page. The article is devoted to the actions taken by the Citizens’ Militia in connection with these concerts and also presents the background, proceedings and consequences of the riots that accompanied the band’s performances. The author used little known documents from the INR Archive, memoirs, press articles, Internet publications, film materials, sound recordings and photographs. It also debunks some myths about these shows.

Unfortunately it's only in Polish but pages 17 & 19 contain English translation of a Memorandum by Militia Officers which sheds some light on what happened.

[journals.indexcopernicus.com]

Off Scale interesting stuff that very rarely gets seen. How an oppressive State deals with a band, and an old school Communist one at that as told by the (much changed) State itself!

I've downloaded the text and put it through Google's translate system (which was a bit of a pain) and it's really interesting stuff. But the result is about 39 pages of text - say 20+ if you cut out the extensive footnotes. Not the sort of thing that makes sense to post here. I'm open to suggestions.

One odd snippet from the text. In Bill Wyman's "Stone Alone" (P 419 in my edition) he recounts (& still does) that the band's hotel bill - by amazing co-incidence - was exactly the same as their fee for the show. No mention of that in the text, but there's much told of a "rumour" that they were being paid in Vodka, but that failed when it could not be imported to the UK. Anyone ever heard that before?

(Note: Google Translate is an extraordinary facility to have at our fingertips, but it's not perfect perfect perfect. So there are some bits that a real Polish/English speaker would need to interpret. Plus it's VERY literal, and that has meant that (eg) where the Polish word for 'Vodka' - which I think is 'wodki'- appears ANYWHERE, then it's translated to 'vodka'. Fine in text, but when it's in a URL it does rather change things - ie makes it invalid.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 20, 2022 12:20

CaptainCorella

Note: Google Translate is an extraordinary facility to have at our fingertips, but it's not perfect perfect perfect.

You can also try [www.DeepL.com] - it's a translator based on Artificial Intelligence. Translation-quality is good in the free DeepL-version, often better than Google Translate. There's also a paid Pro-version of DeepL.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 20, 2022 13:02

CaptainCorella

One odd snippet from the text. In Bill Wyman's "Stone Alone" (P 419 in my edition) he recounts (& still does) that the band's hotel bill - by amazing co-incidence - was exactly the same as their fee for the show. No mention of that in the text, but there's much told of a "rumour" that they were being paid in Vodka, but that failed when it could not be imported to the UK. Anyone ever heard that before?

The "vodka story" is quite popular in Poland (it's even mentioned in the Polish Museum of Vodka) but according to this text it's a pure myth. On page 4 of this document there is a quote from Andrzej Marzec (then chief of the company which organized the show) who says that the band received $4000 for the show half of which was paid in foreign currency and half in Polish Zloty (which had no real value then). The management deposited the Polish money in Poland and probably never seen them again.

There is also an interesting fact mentioned (p. 20) that on February 6, 1973 Jagger was listed as persona non grata in Poland because of his drug possession sentence and he was banned from entering Poland. The ban was lifted on November 13, 1979.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 20, 2022 13:03

Nice footage. And historic indeed.
Another "rumour" was that basically only kids whose parents were member(s) of the Communist Party could get tickets. Long live equality & democracy ...
You can't blame those kids though. It is good to see that they spontaniously enjoyed the concert and for sure some of them remained Stones fans all their lives.
I love Bill's hotel bill story, true or not cool smiley
Maybe the Stones should quickly arrange a concert in Kiev as for the local war to calm down. The band did St. Petersburg after all, so that should help to ease things.

But ..... ?

confused smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 21, 2022 12:22

There's a strange co-incidence buried in one of the extensive footnotes of the account of the Warsaw show...

There's stuff about other overseas performers in the time leading up to this show...

"October 1965, Cliff Richard performed with the group The Shadows, in November 1965 the band The Animals, in March 1966 The Hollies and Lulu and The Luvvers, and in April 1966 Billy Kramer and The Dakotas and The Artwoods."

So, Ronnie's big brother's band! Who'd have guessed.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home