Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: 13.04.1967 Warsaw - It Was 50 years Ago
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 14, 2017 13:40

thrak

Opening act on 13-Apr-1967 for the Rolling Stones in Warsaw was Czerwono-Czarni ("The Red and Blacks").

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 14, 2017 13:49

franzk
The day after Warsaw show The Rolling Stones landed in Zurich:

[www.youtube.com]

Brian Brian Brian

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 14, 2017 17:21

Wild Slivovitz
grzegorz67
Fantastic post - great photos and insight into just what a groundbreaking occasion it was. I love Poland (hence the Polish User Name even though I'm a Scot) and know Warsaw very well. I've been visiting since 1995 and was at the memorable BtB Chorzow show in 1998. I've met several people down the years who said they were at one of these shows .

That's great, Gregorsz! What's the memory these people have on the shows? What was the atmosphere like? Do they have a particular account of the event? I'm very curious about that!

Hi Sliwowitz! We've met btw. I was the one who walked to the bus stop with you after the IORR Band gig in London.

Anyway, the Sala Kongresowa Gigs in 1967. The Stones were the 1st international act of any stature to come to Warsaw in the 60s so there was huge excitement when they came to town. Only the posh kids who were children of Communist Part Members were invited.

BUT they were not the only people who got in grinning smiley Some of those rioting fans outside seemingly managed to climb in through the Windows, including my friend's mum, then 21. These shows had a huge impact and went down in fokelore. Many of the kids present (even the rich kids of the elite) went on to become big Stones fans and their music was very 'underground' at a time when the Communists had an iron grip on the country. When I first visited Poland in 1995, often wearing my Stones T shirts, people were keen to talk about the shows.

There are a few Polish posters on this board - they will be able to tell us much more.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 14, 2017 21:32

grzegorz67
The Stones were the 1st international act of any stature to come to Warsaw in the 60s

Well, not true. The Animals played a long tour in Poland in 1965, The Artwoods played there in 1966. There were also some other western pop and rock artists that played in Poland before the Stones like Paul Anka, I think even Gerry And Pacemakers but I'm not 100% sure. But the Stones shows were the most publicised for sure.

grzegorz67
Only the posh kids who were children of Communist Part Members were invited.

Partially true. Some tickets were distributed among party officials, some through the work places (that was a common thing in communist nations to sell cultural goods for working class) and some were in official distribution, but they were few and were sold out almost immediately (hey, just like today winking smiley) Second market of course existed too.

Date: April 15, 2017 01:09

franzk
grzegorz67
The Stones were the 1st international act of any stature to come to Warsaw in the 60s

Well, not true. The Animals played a long tour in Poland in 1965, The Artwoods played there in 1966. There were also some other western pop and rock artists that played in Poland before the Stones like Paul Anka, I think even Gerry And Pacemakers but I'm not 100% sure. But the Stones shows were the most publicised for sure.

grzegorz67

Partially true. Some tickets were distributed among party officials, some through the work places (that was a common thing in communist nations to sell cultural goods for working class) and some were in official distribution, but they were few and were sold out almost immediately (hey, just like today winking smiley) Second market of course existed too.

Thanks for the info Franzk. I travelled down to Chorzow from Warsaw on a special coach for fans and quite a few of the other fans had magazines and newspapers with articles about those 1967 shows and how this was their 1st visit since then. I read that they were originally supposed to play the Spodek Arena in Katowice on the 1967 tour but it didn't happen...

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 15, 2017 04:07

Wow.

Date: April 15, 2017 09:56

grzegorz67
franzk
grzegorz67

grzegorz67

Thanks for the info Franzk. I travelled down to Chorzow from Warsaw on a special coach for fans and quite a few of the other fans had magazines and newspapers with articles about those 1967 shows and how this was their 1st visit since then. I read that they were originally supposed to play the Spodek Arena in Katowice on the 1967 tour but it didn't happen...

Ha, ha... never heard about this. It's false, obviously. Spodek Arena was opened in 1971: [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: April 15, 2017 10:01

grzegorz67
franzk
grzegorz67

grzegorz67

Spodek in Katowice was opened in 1971 so they can't play there in 1967. Warsaw show could be some kind of an attempt or test before planned soviet visit.
Anyway I find on polish wiki false info that the stones played in Spodek 26.06.1976 of course it never happen. I am wondering about source of this rumor but never find anything more about it.

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: April 15, 2017 10:07

franzk
grzegorz67
franzk
grzegorz67

grzegorz67
Only the posh kids who were children of Communist Part

Ha, ha... never heard about this. It's false, obviously. Spodek Arena was opened in 1971: [en.wikipedia.org]

I was really surprised when I find out that Howlin Wolf played in Poznan circa 65.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 15, 2017 11:27

In that link in the lead post it looks like the Warsaw crowd at that Stones show or just outside rushing in, had invented the mosh pit about 13 or so years before the hard core punks were doin' it and calling that.
a lotta pushing and slammin' each other around and big smiles on most of them while they're at it.
More like a bit the friendly riot or something in Warsaw; great performance footage too; a real find. ty.

Date: April 15, 2017 15:31

bisonvodka
grzegorz67
franzk
grzegorz67

grzegorz67

Spodek in Katowice was opened in 1971 so they can't play there in 1967. Warsaw show could be some kind of an attempt or test before planned soviet visit.
Anyway I find on polish wiki false info that the stones played in Spodek 26.06.1976 of course it never happen. I am wondering about source of this rumor but never find anything more about it.

Ha ha - I meant 1976 - typing mistake by me grinning smiley I've seen the Spodek from the outside - It's huge and must have been very impressive in 1971!

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 15, 2017 16:11

The tickets for Warsaw'67 two shows (afternoon nad evening) were selling through state controlled institution. So there were kids of communist party members but also ordinary workers children etc.
Many of very famous culture, media people of last 50 years were there. Let's mention: Zbigniew Holdys (Perfect musician)- he was busted and removed during the show, Andrzej Olechowski (minister), Wojciech Mann and Piotr Kaczkowski (Polish Radio icons). Warsaw 67 book is filled with their memories. All the people who saw Stones told that they were looking like parrots with colorful clothes. Warsaw streets were rather grey than colorful. Kids didn't even have regular jeans just brown or grey trausers.
I read that Mick went out from Europejski Hotel in city center to walk around on Nowy Swiat street. On some exhibition he saw Aftermath cover so he thought Stones records were avaible in Poland. He even wrote on some paper that it was 400 or 500 zloty. He asked somebody from hotel is it expensive. It was like one month salary almost. Records were very hard to buy till late 80's. You could find something in second hands but it was really expensive. Polish DJ's like Kaczkowski or Mann or whoever have friendly relationships with LOT (national airline) stewardeses and they bought them records. The other way was family in some western country who sent records.
There is another anecdote about Warsaw 67. Leslie Perrin from Stones press office wanted to arrange press conference. He asked for help Piotr Kaczkowski (Polish Radio 3). Some woman from Europejski Hotel was mad about it and she said that it would be very expensive to rent hotel hall for the conference. Perrin asked Kaczkowski to negotiate. Hotel receptionist said it would be 500 zloty. Kaczkowski said to Perrin the price and Leslie got from his pocket some paper ball made with polish bankntos and said to Peter - take what you need. Kaczkowski took just one 500 zloty banknote and paid for renting the hall. She was shocked.
You can see some photos from press conference on page 1 this thread.
Piotr Kaczkowski said that he rang to Europejski and asked for mr Jagger from London and he was connected to the Stones room. Can You imagine this today ? They made some interview but the tape was cancelled after the radio broadcast because radio was lack of tape. They just need it to record something else.
It is said somewhere that before or after the shows Stones threw from the car some Stones records to polish kids. I think confirmed it in Stone Alone.
People from western countries can't even imagine how big impact for polish musicians, open minded people Stones were. Some people said it was new era since Stones shows in Kongresowa. Kids tasted freedom and the saw how it could be and nothing could stop them to fight against communism. As we all know this generation won the battle in late 80 and lots of them were supporting Solidarnosc. I don't want to start any political thread here but i'm sure Stones with all their attitude had big influence to the whole polish generation from late 60's.
After the Stones there was few big bands in Poland in 70's and 80's but no other show is so legendary as Stones '67.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 16:18 by thrak.

Date: April 15, 2017 16:42

There's also another anecdote that day before the show Stones went to hotel bar and wanted to order tequilla, but obviously in 1967 you could not buy tequilla in Poland so they ended up getting drunk on Polish vodka. It tasted so good that they decided to spend all their money on vodka and take it home with them, but it would be impossible to take that much vodka abroad so they gave up.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 16, 2017 02:45

thumbs up
Great thread!
Thank You!
smileys with beer

Date: April 16, 2017 04:21

And what a setlist!

[www.setlist.fm]

The Sala Kongresowa holds just under 3,000 people. So fewer than 6,000 people saw these 2 shows yet it sounds like they had a big cultural impact. I hope that the small taste of Western freedoms and culture in some way inspired young Poles to fight for their own freedom they finally won, 22 long hard years later.

Polska na zawsze! Love your national anthem by the way! Nice bouncy tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-16 04:25 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 16, 2017 12:38

One more story.

Before the show someone from Stones crew burned the organs because of different voltage in UK and Poland (i don;t know to which song Stones needed to organs ?). Anyway polish band Czerwono-Czarni with Ryszard Poznakowski wanted to borrow their instrument to Stones but it was one condition. Poznakowski said that Mick Jagger have to asked him to borrow organs personally. Mick had no problem with that and he went to Poznakowski to asked for an instrument. I think the photo when Mick is pretending to play keyboards is about that. The other guy is Poznakowski for sure.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 16, 2017 19:23

grzegorz67
Wild Slivovitz
grzegorz67
Fantastic post - great photos and insight into just what a groundbreaking occasion it was. I love Poland (hence the Polish User Name even though I'm a Scot) and know Warsaw very well. I've been visiting since 1995 and was at the memorable BtB Chorzow show in 1998. I've met several people down the years who said they were at one of these shows .

That's great, Gregorsz! What's the memory these people have on the shows? What was the atmosphere like? Do they have a particular account of the event? I'm very curious about that!

Hi Sliwowitz! We've met btw. I was the one who walked to the bus stop with you after the IORR Band gig in London.

Anyway, the Sala Kongresowa Gigs in 1967. The Stones were the 1st international act of any stature to come to Warsaw in the 60s so there was huge excitement when they came to town. Only the posh kids who were children of Communist Part Members were invited.

BUT they were not the only people who got in grinning smiley Some of those rioting fans outside seemingly managed to climb in through the Windows, including my friend's mum, then 21. These shows had a huge impact and went down in fokelore. Many of the kids present (even the rich kids of the elite) went on to become big Stones fans and their music was very 'underground' at a time when the Communists had an iron grip on the country. When I first visited Poland in 1995, often wearing my Stones T shirts, people were keen to talk about the shows.

There are a few Polish posters on this board - they will be able to tell us much more.

Thanks for sharing, Greg! Of course I remember well who you are. But you forgot to mention you were with us at the Indian restaurant as well! Happy Easter!

Date: April 16, 2017 22:13

Wild Slivovitz
grzegorz67
Wild Slivovitz
grzegorz67

Thanks for sharing, Greg! Of course I remember well who you are. But you forgot to mention you were with us at the Indian restaurant as well! Happy Easter!

And the same to you sir, the Harmonica player from Napoli smileys with beer

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 17, 2017 14:42

Very historic document in all aspects! Look what the photographer kneeling in front of the stage is doing: changing film...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 17, 2017 14:53

I love the shots from that press conference and hotel. The Stones are from another planet.
I know someone who was at the show. His uncle was a low-level bureaucrat and got two tickets
and gave them to his son and nephew. To this day the man lights up radiant when he talks about it -
it's lovely to see. Hail hail rock & roll! I love the Rolling Stones.

Date: April 17, 2017 18:49

with sssoul
I love the shots from that press conference and hotel. The Stones are from another planet.
I know someone who was at the show. His uncle was a low-level bureaucrat and got two tickets
and gave them to his son and nephew. To this day the man lights up radiant when he talks about it -
it's lovely to see. Hail hail rock & roll! I love the Rolling Stones.

Good one, 'With Soul'. Love reading all these anecdotes from our Polish posters who were closer to the action. sounds like they were good shows. I love how the fans went crazy with all these Stoney faced Policemen guarding them smiling smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 17, 2017 22:24

WOWSKI !!
Great stuff !

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: April 17, 2017 22:57

thrak
One more story.

Before the show someone from Stones crew burned the organs because of different voltage in UK and Poland (i don;t know to which song Stones needed to organs ?). Anyway polish band Czerwono-Czarni with Ryszard Poznakowski wanted to borrow their instrument to Stones but it was one condition. Poznakowski said that Mick Jagger have to asked him to borrow organs personally. Mick had no problem with that and he went to Poznakowski to asked for an instrument. I think the photo when Mick is pretending to play keyboards is about that. The other guy is Poznakowski for sure.

Pretty sure Brian played the organ on Let's Spend the Night Together -- maybe something else, too.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 18, 2017 23:00

franzk
The day after Warsaw show The Rolling Stones landed in Zurich:

[www.youtube.com]

Very short footage from the 1967 Zurich concert

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 13, 2017 20:04

Got it today...#301.....

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 13, 2017 21:39

the advantage those polish people got at the concert would have been no

miss you
start me up
its only rock and roll
honky tonk woman
you cant always get what you want
out of control
saint of me
mixed emotions
you got me rocking

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: June 14, 2017 12:27

detroitken
Got it today...#301.....

Great, my copy is number 125.
What do you think about the book?

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 14, 2017 16:06

Stone601
detroitken
Got it today...#301.....

Really nice...glad i got it....especially for the price($17.62 usd,including shipping from Poland...)

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: June 14, 2017 18:21

detroitken
Stone601
detroitken
Got it today...#301.....

Really nice...glad i got it....especially for the price($17.62 usd,including shipping from Poland...)

The book is really nice, i love the b & w photos, and i'm happy for you for the really good price

Posted by: Grzechu ()
Date: June 16, 2017 01:23

my copy #22 smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2201
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home