Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 13.04.1967 Warsaw - It Was 50 years Ago
Posted by: fedecarp ()
Date: June 16, 2017 13:00

Hi, this book is only available in polish or there is an english edition?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 15, 2018 16:31

How the Rolling Stones Rocked the Iron Curtain

Warszawa, 13.04.1967 , concert by The Rolling Stones, Congress Hall, Warsaw, photo: Marek A. Karewicz/Forum

Warszawa, 13.04.1967 , concert by The Rolling Stones, Congress Hall, Warsaw, photo: Marek A. Karewicz/Forum

Date: January 15, 2018 16:31

1967 Rolling Stones Concert

Leszek Fidusiewicz shares memories of experiencing The Rolling Stones live in Warsaw in 1967, the first time a major Western band performed behind the Iron Curtain

Photo credit: Leszek Fidusiewicz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 16:33 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 16, 2018 10:38

Obviously the concert(s) - I am still not aware if it was one or two Shows - seems to have been recorded in great quality (on one pic you see the microphone on the edge of the stage where the audience noises were recorded).

Where are the tapes? And was it recorded in stereo? Although Mick did not always sing properly because of the deafining audience Applause it would be a great document from a frenzy early show!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 16, 2018 11:19

Would not it be nice if they play a gig in Poland this year...
Jeroen

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: January 16, 2018 12:45

Just to let you know - Hotel Europejski, where Stones have stayed back over 50 years ago, is going to reopen this Spring and will be the best 5-star hotel in Warsaw. Would be perfect place for the band to stay once again!

[www.hotelnewsresource.com]

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 16, 2018 21:46

i was in warsaw in october, it was drizzly, cold and dull, making the city look quite depressive, but for anyone wanting to go, dont let its depressive communist block image put you off, it has some interesting museums, its architecture reflects its history, which is turbulent, it has a mix of oldtown(rebuilt after the war) and modern hotels and shopping centres, its got great pubs and food outlets and is quite cheap. would go back there in future, maybe in summertime.

its not as touristy as krakow and so is an advantage as queues are small when visiting places of interest. the streets are not anywhere near as busy as london or paris, neither is the metro, which is also spotlessly clean, but the traffic in central warsaw and outwith especially in mokotow which you go through on way to chopin airport is very busy, buses, cars and trams compete with pedestrians and cyclists and junctions can be a long wait to cross.

Date: January 17, 2018 10:19

I must insist: Could nobody of the Polish fans inquire if the concert(s) was recroded in ist entirety and if the tapes still exist? Listening to the soundtrack of the TV clip this could be an exciting document of the Brian Jones era (and in the end, it might even have been recorded in stereo as the microphones appear very high-class to me).!

Date: January 17, 2018 13:09

For everyone fluent in one of the Nordic languages :

[europaeiskeundertekster.dk]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2018 19:49

Oh to have been alive to see THAT band! hot smiley

Date: January 19, 2018 15:06

No Polish fans here... what a pity!

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: January 19, 2018 15:54

saltoftheearth
I must insist: Could nobody of the Polish fans inquire if the concert(s) was recroded in ist entirety and if the tapes still exist? Listening to the soundtrack of the TV clip this could be an exciting document of the Brian Jones era (and in the end, it might even have been recorded in stereo as the microphones appear very high-class to me).!

I am nearly sure that recordings never exist. Anyway two journalists of polish radio made an interview with Jagger. It disappired in the early 80's from the shelves taken by comunistic secret service. To be honest I suppose that even proper setlists could be a problem.

Date: March 5, 2018 16:55

This very well known video has now been uploaded in a slightly better quality.

The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Live At Congress Hall

Date: March 5, 2018 20:56

bisonvodka
saltoftheearth

I am nearly sure that recordings never exist. Anyway two journalists of polish radio made an interview with Jagger. It disappired in the early 80's from the shelves taken by comunistic secret service. To be honest I suppose that even proper setlists could be a problem.

Are you sure the recordings were nevere made, or do they no more exist? To me, the soundtrack om the newsreel sounds like a mono soundboard recording.

Date: March 6, 2018 00:54

saltoftheearth
bisonvodka
saltoftheearth

Are you sure the recordings were nevere made, or do they no more exist? To me, the soundtrack om the newsreel sounds like a mono soundboard recording.

In Poland 67 visit were disccused many times. Nobody who attend never mention that more recording exist. After ale these years something should pop up but it never happen.
So the question is who and why now restore this material because it sounds better for sure. A few days back I read somewhere that polish tv talks with stones managemant about possibility to broadcast upcoming show so maybe they use it for some presentation to enhance their chances. This is only my speculations and probably go too farsmiling smiley

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: March 6, 2018 10:45

What a fantastic post. Thanks for posting great stories, photos and that book looks great.

Date: September 19, 2020 09:16

Today's Sächsische Zeitung (Germany)

Date: September 19, 2020 12:31

Child of the Moon would you provide the most interesting details from the article. I am curious why German press write about that show.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 19, 2020 12:36

Brian was still really good on this tour.It is amazing how much he deteriorated by a year and a half later at the Rock n Roll Circus

Date: September 19, 2020 12:59

Taylor1
Brian was still really good on this tour.It is amazing how much he deteriorated by a year and a half later at the Rock n Roll Circus

Nothing wrong with his playing on No Expectations?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2020 13:05

Taylor1

Oh, yes he was. Just think of the circumstances then: they had the drug busts, Anita/Keith/Brian drama just happened, and Brian was seriously thinking quitting the group (of which Mick talked him out of). But all of that didn't affect to his performances.

Actually if we listen to the rare recordings from the tour, the whole band was in an interesting transformational phase back then. Some of the harder sounds of 1969 was already tried then, but they still had that joyful experimental mode (mostly thanks to Brian). Oh I wish there would be a good official recording of some of the shows. Well, KGB was in presence at Warsaw show, reporting it all to Moscow, and they had microphones everywhere and were taping everything, so... A missing Stones show in some of their archives... grinning smiley

But about Brian's 'fall'. My picture is that he was a rather functional (although not always present) band member and a great musician all the way to BEGGARS sessions, but as his second bust happened during summer 1968, in the middle of those sessions, after which his real downhill started. That bust, and its possible consequences, affected to his mental and physical condition strongly. And rather soon he was like a ghost, and not much use, or any, for the band any longer. Something we painfully see in R&R CIRCUS.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 13:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 19, 2020 14:29

Hi Doxa, I must have missed something along the line. Where did you get the info about Brian saying in 1967 (?) that he was thinking of quitting the band and Mick talking him out if that idea?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2020 15:00

georgie48
Hi Doxa, I must have missed something along the line. Where did you get the info about Brian saying in 1967 (?) that he was thinking of quitting the band and Mick talking him out if that idea?

Thanks for asking this, because I rather casually stated it as it is like some nondisputed fact. It is not.

I remember reading about in some Stones and Brian Jones biographies. As far as I recall right it initially popped up just after Brian's death. That he was thinking about leaving the group already in 1967 but Mick convinced him not to. So there was never any public talk about it in 1967 (by Brian or anyone), but something that happened behind the screen, and was revealed later.

It is my best guess that the accident - if it is true - happened after the Anita/Keith affair took place. Namely, to support this interpretation, some literature claim that Brian refused to take part in European tour, or was threatening the group by it, and that Mick's diplomacy was very much needed then. This might have been the original reference.

But as it is always the case with Brian, so much speculation, so little facts...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 15:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 19, 2020 18:25

Doxa
georgie48

Thanks for asking this, because I rather casually stated it as it is like some nondisputed fact. It is not.

I remember reading about in some Stones and Brian Jones biographies. As far as I recall right it initially popped up just after Brian's death. That he was thinking about leaving the group already in 1967 but Mick convinced him not to. So there was never any public talk about it in 1967 (by Brian or anyone), but something that happened behind the screen, and was revealed later.

It is my best guess that the accident - if it is true - happened after the Anita/Keith affair took place. Namely, to support this interpretation, some literature claim that Brian refused to take part in European tour, or was threatening the group by it, and that Mick's diplomacy was very much needed then. This might have been the original reference.

But as it is always the case with Brian, so much speculation, so little facts...

- Doxa

I agree with you, that such a thing may have happened around 1967, certainly after the Anita Pallenberg affair. Apart from Brian not looking in the mirror critizing himself in this matter, Keith's move was not something any Stones fan would have appreciated, even though anyone is entitled to have a private life.
I do have some unique (not shareable but published in a SPM magazine) photos of Brian performing with the Stones in Paris in 1967 and in all honesty (I have several great sounding bootlegs) Brian looks very much lost, like unexpectably being heavily hit by a baseball bat. However, his musical contribution to those 1967 concerts are often brilliant (recorder, etc), almost like singing his swan song.
Shame, shame, shame.

Date: September 19, 2020 20:19

bisonvodka
Child of the Moon would you provide the most interesting details from the article. I am curious why German press write about that show.

An east-German student of photography, Michael Wagner, heard about the Stones concert in Warsaw. He went to Warsaw and made it into the Palac Kultury i Nauki without a ticket but trickery. He photographed during the show. He never showed his pictures before, but last year he gave his pictorial treasure to an archive in Berlin, the Robert Havemann society. Michael Wagner died last year.

Date: September 20, 2020 07:50

Thanks Child, incredible story. He must be lucky to get in. Demand of tickets was huge and most of people interested to see the Stones didn't get it.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 13:39

bisonvodka
Thanks Child, incredible story. He must be lucky to get in. Demand of tickets was huge and most of people interested to see the Stones didn't get it.

My Polish friend's mum, then 21 climbed in through a window. I've always been very interested in these 2 shows, since I became aware of them. I was also born 2 weeks later!

I was at Chorzow 1998 & Warsaw 2018. Both very good shows. I had a ticket for the cancelled 2006 show at Lotnisko Bemovo in Warsaw.

Date: September 20, 2020 15:53

grzegorz67
bisonvodka

My Polish friend's mum, then 21 climbed in through a window. I've always been very interested in these 2 shows, since I became aware of them. I was also born 2 weeks later!

I was at Chorzow 1998 & Warsaw 2018. Both very good shows. I had a ticket for the cancelled 2006 show at Lotnisko Bemovo in Warsaw.

Grzegorz67 you should get copy of delux edition of book "The Rolling Stones Warszawa' 67". Delux edition has english translation, extra photos and reprinnt of Warsaw poster. My copy number 176 is signed by Charlie and Bill smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 17:10

That video showing the band getting out of the planeand into the cars, was there ever a cooler looking band

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 18:08

bisonvodka
grzegorz67
bisonvodka

Grzegorz67 you should get copy of delux edition of book "The Rolling Stones Warszawa' 67". Delux edition has english translation, extra photos and reprinnt of Warsaw poster. My copy number 176 is signed by Charlie and Bill smiling smiley

Dziekuje bardzo Pan Bison Vodka winking smiley Down the years, I’ve met a few people who’ve said they were there. I speak and understand a bit of Polish (I’m a Scot) but certainly not enough to understand the PL version of that book. In ‘98, Like the Stones themselves, I stayed in Warsaw (The Hotel Polonia on Jerozelimskie, they were in the Bristol). I got a horrendously slow bus from Warsaw to Chorzow down the E77 (7hours each way!!!) It was a special bus for fans, most of whom spoke good English. They had magazines with a big article all about the ‘67 shows.

I remember there being big excitement in the media around the 98 show and i have newspaper cuttings from it - Rzeczpospolita and gazeta.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home