Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Guitarist known as J. Geils found dead in Massachusetts home
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: April 12, 2017 08:54

one last kiss ...

listen to the end of the song ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: April 12, 2017 09:48

Saw so many great bands opening for the Stones. J. Geils Band was one of the best. RIP

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 12, 2017 10:22

As with so many bands I like, the first LP is the one for me with
songs like "Serves You Right To Suffer" and "Homework".
No fast guitar runs on "SYRTS", but a lot of energy!!

RIP J.Geils

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-12 10:27 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: April 12, 2017 10:33

I lived near Boston (Wakefield Mass) when I was a kid in 1981 and 1982. I was i the 5th grade and the two big albums among all my friends were Freeze Frame and Tattoo You. j Geils were huge in Boston.

Date: April 12, 2017 10:34

Oh no! This is really sad news.. angry smiley

I hope Peter and Jay did sort out their differences..

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 12, 2017 10:40

I saw the J. Geils 2x when they opened for the Stones in Rotterdam 1982, it were big times for Rock 'n Roll. RIP

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 12, 2017 11:12

runaway
I saw the J. Geils 2x when they opened for the Stones in Rotterdam 1982, it were big times for Rock 'n Roll. RIP

So did I.
Sad news indeed
Jeroen

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 12, 2017 11:54

RIP J Geils. Saw them open 2 shows for the Stones in 1981 & some other shows. They were phenomenal back in the day.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 12, 2017 13:16

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of the mighty John Warren Geils Jr. One of the best and most awesome rhythm and blues bands of all time .Going all the way back to 1977 for me when I was just a kid seeing them for the first time in a local theatre and the sound of this band was just so infectious , such a deep groove and the sum of the parts of the whole band led by J. Geils was such a joy to behold to my ears and senses .This brings us full circle to this joke known as the RRHOF IN Cleveland better known as the mistake by the lake .Shame on you Jann Wenner for not giving the proper due and respect to the mighty mighty J.Geils band ! It's all right cause mama tried but your still an idiot for inducting the likes of idiot bands and artists that you induct on what basis ? by who stuffs the most cash in an envelope so you wave your magic baton and grant them entry into your Six Flags Magic pyramid and museum !

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 12, 2017 14:23

RIP dear J. Geils

Saw the J. Geils Band as main opening act for the Stones in Hanover and Cologne during the 1982 European Tour. Great band. Great fun.

dead.flowers

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 12, 2017 14:58

I'm sad to hear this ,detroit loved'em,always kicked ass live...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 12, 2017 15:21

So sad that I never got to see him live, in concert, that is. I did get the honor of meeting him once through a buddy from school but that was all. That and listening to the music. Grew up in the suburbs of Boston and think that their music was somehow ingrained in my DNA. I actually remember being on the Cape and one summer and driving by the coliseum and hearing the (somewhat) muted sounds coming through and knowing that I would have rather been inside as opposed to in the back of my dad's car.

After using the shuffle all feature while I was getting ready and driving to work, the J Gelis Band album is playing at my desk right now. The rest of the catalog will follow. Feeling pretty sad this morning.

RIP J.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: April 12, 2017 15:28

Nothin but a house party

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 15:34

Geils went to the same university I did in Massachusetts. There was a rumor about him getting kicked out for making LSD with one of the chemistry professors, but they couldn't fire the professor due to tenure (I had him my freshman year - he was an old grouchy German dude).

I have no idea if it's true, but it's a great story.

Date: April 12, 2017 16:14

Sad news indeed, a cool band. Saw them supporting the Stones at Wembley Stadium, that was a proper rock and roll gig. RIP.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 12, 2017 16:19

RIP to the mighty J. Geils.

Best LIVE band EVER.

These guys would set up shop at Pine Knob every summer when I was a kid and usually rock a winter-time show the same year at Cobo Hall.
Detroit Breakdown, Motor City Shakedown.
I'm so attached to them as performers because they played here SO OFTEN and worked together onstage like no other band out there.

I first saw them in the summer of 1980 when I was 15 and they sent me on a different path in life. An absolutely dynamic live band.

I'll leave my thoughts on the @#$%& Rock Hall and the @#$%& music business and the @#$%& lawyers for another day.

Today, I am sad.

OT: Guitarist known as J. Geils found dead in Massachusetts home
Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: April 12, 2017 16:32

As a guitarist, he was not a flashy Van Halen type soloist, but the man could rock a riff with the best of them. Here's a link to an article that really sums up what he was all about.

J. Geils, the Prototypical All-Around Guitarist

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 12, 2017 17:14

Great band!

I encourage you to check out the often overlooked Monkey Island.

Sad about J.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 12, 2017 17:15

Please note that my signature is the title of a J. Geils song.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 12, 2017 18:59

Great riffs!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 12, 2017 19:25

Very sad news indeed. A really great guitar player that helped hold his band together on stage. The Geils band was a world class outfit.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: April 12, 2017 19:33

keefriff99
Geils went to the same university I did in Massachusetts. .

The college of musical knowledge

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 12, 2017 19:38

Crackinup
As a guitarist, he was not a flashy Van Halen type soloist, but the man could rock a riff with the best of them

Thank God for that.
There might be a time and a place for a Van Halen type soloist, but the J.Geils band was not one of them.
Like Keith, he was all about the rock AND the roll...the groove...a team player...the overall results...the big picture.

RIP

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 12, 2017 19:45

I am not sure if J Geils was still estranged from the rest of the band but he sued them at one point for touring as the J Geils Band without his participation and he lost the suit. Sort of unfortunate as the band was named after him. Drummer Stephen Jo Bladd is no longer involved in recent tours either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-12 19:48 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 12, 2017 19:47

Elmo Lewis
Please note that my signature is the title of a J. Geils song.

Every time I'm with a group of people placing a collective order for pizza, I toss that line out just to see if anyone catches the reference. Sadly, very few people ever do.

For those of you unfamiliar with the tune:

Peter Wolf also worked in a reference to the original in his "Love Rap" from the live "Showtime" album.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: April 12, 2017 21:23

J.Geils-Great guitar player with a highly unique style.Saw the band numerous times at the Aragon Brawlroom in Chicago.The Bluestime group with Magic Dick was also a good time.Condolences to the family and friends.Rock and Roll

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 12, 2017 21:38

I saw the J.Geils Band for the first time in the mid 70's opening for Lynyrd Skynyrd and Peter Frampton in Buffalo. I also seen them a bunch of times after that including the Stones 81 tour in San Diego. The last time I saw the band, J.Geils was not with them back in 2012 on the Buffalo waterfront on a beautiful August night. I was disappointed that he wasn't with the band as he was one of my favorite band members.

Now he is gone forever and denied a very righteous opportunity to jam at the Rock n Roll HOF as an inducted member. I'll miss his playing, and his cool style. The sunglasses, slicked back hair. Jerome Geils as Peter Wolf sometimes called him, was one of the first guitarists to dazzle me with his Gibson Flying V. I'll always remember his signature sound.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 12, 2017 22:39

I loved J Geils Band mightily. Saw them in '72 a few months after Full House was recorded and probably two dozen times since (including with the Stones, Cleveland '75) up through a couple years ago sans Jay. They were a part my DNA. So much so they didn't FEEL right after Geils retired in 2012. Other guitarists overplayed his parts and while the band sounded 'right' the groove was just a little askew without him. Not a technically brilliant guitarist but he conveyed heart and soul. Definitely one of the best live rock bands of all time

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 22:58

very sad to here the passing of J. Geils ,I have the lp FullHouse on right now and having a drink in his honor.

Re: OT: RIP J. Geils
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 13, 2017 00:08

Yes as mentioned before such a shame, in the final years, he was estranged from his namesake band. I will never forget seeing the band on the Joe Franklin show
in the late 70's - so funny.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home