Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: Musical confessions
Posted by: Chester ()
Date: April 28, 2017 05:54

I know I should be embarrassed for saying this but Barry Manilow's "Could This Be the Magic?'' is a masterpiece.

I'll crawl back in my hole now.

Date: April 28, 2017 07:08

HMS
Kiss´s Dynasty is one of my all time favorite albums by any band.

that's just about the last good thing they did as an entire album

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 28, 2017 17:33

RE: Bashing the Beatles as a pop or (even worse) a "boy" band.

Most people (including myself) feel that the 2 most important acts in rock and roll history are Elvis and the Beatles.

While I prefer the Rolling Stones (and Chuck Berry), there is no denying that without the Beatles, Mick would be a retired millionaire accountant currently serving in Parliament and Keith would have ODed in a London gutter in 1968.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2017 20:15

VoodooLounge13
I always thought Real Love was FAR better than Free as a Bird

Not sure if that is a confession or a statement of truth and fact! winking smiley

That said, neither could be considered 'classic' imo...more like a bittersweet Frankenstein experiment with pleasant results.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 28, 2017 21:22

I'll admit to liking 3 songs by Olivia Neutron-Bomb enough to buy her 2-CD collection Gold.

Sam: [www.youtube.com]

Hopelessly Devoted To You: [www.youtube.com]

A Little More Love: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 29, 2017 02:38

Hairball
VoodooLounge13

Not sure if that is a confession or a statement of truth and fact! winking smiley

That said, neither could be considered 'classic' imo...more like a bittersweet Frankenstein experiment with pleasant results.

Well, at the time, most preferred Free as a Bird, which I never understood, and I also remember hearing a rumor back then that Real Love was so reviled, that they scrapped plans for a 3rd song on the final installment. Not sure if that was true or not. Definitely not classics, no, but yes pleasant surprises.

Date: April 29, 2017 02:43

ohotos
VoodooLounge13
UGH OK so.... My musical tastes are well varied and run the spectrum of genres and artists....But some of this Pop stuff is among my collection....

I still love my 80's hair metal bands most - as a genre that is
I have all of Xtina's albums
I also have all of Selena Gomez's albums, and Shakira's
Beiber's last album I own and think is damn good!
I like, and saw in concert, The Weeknd
I was a big fan of 90's country (Garth, Shania Twain, Joe Diffie, Tracy Lawrence, Sara Evans, Alan Jackson, etc)
I recently became a Little Monster and now have all of Lady Gaga's albums
I have both Greatest Hits collections of Abba
I love the Eagles
I am a huge Madonna fan and still hope to see her in concert one day. I also think Erotica would be a phenomenal album to fk to tongue sticking out smiley
I think Michael Jackson was phenomenal
I saw Janet Jackson in concert
I have the Carpenters Greatest Hits, along with the Partridge Family, and Jan & Dean.
Most of the time I don't understand the following that Pink Floyd, the Doors, and the Grateful Dead have.
I also have the Alice's Restaurant album
The Stones made me a huge Black Eyed Peas fan, and I think Will.I.Am is a genius
I have all of No Doubt and Gwen's albums
I love Beyoncé and Rihanna
I love dancing to Bruno Mars
I have a Russian bootleg of Katy Perry's Greatest Hits, and same for Taylor Swift (at least she does write her own songs - I'll give her that)
I am one of about 75,000 who actually own the Sweet 75 album (Krist Novoselic's post-Nirvana offering)
In college, I listened to the Benedictine Monks incessantly while studying
I really liked the Superheavy album
I skip Might As Well Get Juiced every time it comes on

Mick is not only my idol, but I also have had a man-crush on him at various points in his career.

That's about all that I can come up with at the moment. For me, music is such a personal thing - what moves one person isn't going to necessarily do the same for another. I appreciate all kinds of it, and I don't understand why there is so much hate out there for it. But then, I am a person who can talk civilly about politics without turning it into an argument. I also was able to recently do this with religion, and I had thought that that was the ONE topic where people really can't have a discussion!!!

Interesting post, I feel like I need to comment on these spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I still love my 80's hair metal bands most - as a genre that is - was never really into hair metal
I have all of Xtina's albums - no idea who that is - Christina Aguilera
I also have all of Selena Gomez's albums, and Shakira's - might have one of Shakira, not sure
Beiber's last album I own and think is damn good! - BIG NOPE
I like, and saw in concert, The Weeknd - not really up to date with what he is doing, might have heard a song or two on the radio
I was a big fan of 90's country (Garth, Shania Twain, Joe Diffie, Tracy Lawrence, Sara Evans, Alan Jackson, etc) - I hate most country
I recently became a Little Monster and now have all of Lady Gaga's albums - I listened to her last album and there is some pretty good stuff on there
I have both Greatest Hits collections of Abba - good for you
I love the Eagles - I don't hate them but have none of their albums
I am a huge Madonna fan and still hope to see her in concert one day. I also think Erotica would be a phenomenal album to fk to tongue sticking out smiley - meh, she has done some OK music
I think Michael Jackson was phenomenal - I used to hate MJ but he did some genius stuff and his music definitely has a place in history
I saw Janet Jackson in concert - I am not sad to have missed this
I have the Carpenters Greatest Hits, along with the Partridge Family, and Jan & Dean. - OK, whatever
Most of the time I don't understand the following that Pink Floyd, the Doors, and the Grateful Dead have. - me neither, see my thread starting post
I also have the Alice's Restaurant album - I think I now have to get that one too
The Stones made me a huge Black Eyed Peas fan, and I think Will.I.Am is a genius - BEP used to be very very good on their first albums and then only went downhill when they went mainstream - agreed their last couple of albums have been boring
I have all of No Doubt and Gwen's albums - I was just listening to No Doubt yesterday (came up in a random playlist), reminds me of some good times
I love Beyoncé and Rihanna - I don't hate them but they are hugely overrated
I love dancing to Bruno Mars - I love music but actually hate dancing, BM has a few OK songs
I have a Russian bootleg of Katy Perry's Greatest Hits, and same for Taylor Swift (at least she does write her own songs - I'll give her that) - haha
I am one of about 75,000 who actually own the Sweet 75 album (Krist Novoselic's post-Nirvana offering) - that album is so good actually and I listen to it from time to time. What are the odds that more than one person on this board owns it? haha - that IS pretty funny actually!!!
In college, I listened to the Benedictine Monks incessantly while studying - must have been annoying - actually I found it quite relaxing
I really liked the Superheavy album - I probably like it more than the average poster on this board
I skip Might As Well Get Juiced every time it comes on - yes, that is probably the worst Stones song

Mick is not only my idol, but I also have had a man-crush on him at various points in his career. - I don't have idols
- Mick is probably less of an idol these days than he used to be, mainly because I've seen the error of the ways of chasing tail endlessly. At some point one must grow up. I've left a bad trail behind me that I'm none too proud of I'm afraid. sad smiley

Date: April 29, 2017 02:50

VoodooLounge13
Well, at the time, most preferred Free as a Bird, which I never understood, and I also remember hearing a rumor back then that Real Love was so reviled, that they scrapped plans for a 3rd song on the final installment. Not sure if that was true or not. Definitely not classics, no, but yes pleasant surprises.
There were plans to do a third single, which Paul was all for, but George declined -- he'd probably had enough of having to hang out with Paul again for extended periods. However, they did work for one day constructing a backing track.

The other unreleased late seventies Lennon demo was to have been Now And Then, which was to have been included with Anthology 3: [www.beatlesbible.com]

Now And Then (demo): [www.youtube.com]

Now And Then (with backing track): [www.youtube.com]

I know it's true, it's all because of you
And if I make it through, it's all because of you
And now and then, if we must start again
Well we were not sure, that I love you

I don't want to lose you - oh no, no, no
Lose you or abuse you - oh no, no, no, sweet doll
But if you have to go, away
If you have to go...
Now and then, I miss you
Oh now and then, I...
I know it's true to me...

I know it's true, it's all because of you
And if you go away, I know you...

I don't want to lose you - oh no, no, no
Abuse you or confuse you - oh no, no, no, sweet darl'
But if you had to go, away
Well I won't stop you babe
And if you had to go
Well...

Date: April 29, 2017 04:27

VoodooLounge13
Hairball
VoodooLounge13

Free as a Bird was the first to be released as a single, therefore it was probably the first between the two that most people latched on to. There was worldwide anticipation and publicity leading up to it, and a lot of hulabaloo upon it's release (I even bought the 7" vinyl single). By the time Real Love came out, it just didn't have the same massive impact for a variety of reasons for many (I also bought the 7" vinyl single for this). I've never heard the rumour you refer to regarding Real Love being the reason for scrapping plans for a third song. I do know they had plans for a third song, and even attempted to work on it. I think I remember reading it was ultimately George Harrison who vetoed the possibility of a third song, but not sure about that. According to wiki: "They were forced to abandon work on "Grow Old with Me" because Lennon's original demo required too much work to bring it up to the standard needed for an official release.[2] There do exist, however, recorded versions of "Grow Old with Me"'. While wiki is admittedly not always 100% accurate, there's usually at least some grain of truth behind what is there. Perhaps a Beatles expert here can chime in and tell us more.

Date: April 29, 2017 04:41

Grow Old With Me was released in 1984 on the Milk and Honey album.

Grow Old With Me: [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 29, 2017 05:01

stonehearted
Grow Old With Me was released in 1984 on the Milk and Honey album.

Grow Old With Me: [www.youtube.com]

Yes, a primitive demo that supposedly was the last song recorded by Lennon. Maybe that's part of the reason they decided against trying to update it for Anthology - because the demo versions had already been released posthumously on Milk and Honey. After the two first experiments (Free as a Bird and Real Love) resulted in mixed results (and mixed reactions), they figured why bother and to leave well enough alone.

Date: April 29, 2017 05:15

Just Grow Old With Me was released on Milk and Honey.

The third proposed Anthology song was Now And Then (see my above post). They started work on it, but it was George who made the decision to stop.

The demos that Yoko handed them for the Anthology sessions were part of a cassette on which John had scribbled "For Paul".

It was Lennon's intention to show these to Paul in 1980 -- they were hanging out for writing sessions at that time.

All 4 Beatles had already agreed to a full reunion, which was to have taken place in 1984. They already had the "Anthology" in mind -- at that time it was to have been called The Long and Winding Road. They were going to write new, incidental music for the occasion.

But, yeah, those John and Paul writing sessions of 1980 -- it seems Yoko was getting jealous, and possibly threatened by this activity. Paul dropped by at one point, and without John's knowledge, Yoko turned him away, claiming that John told her to tell Paul that he couldn't just drop by unannounced.

Yoko may not have actually broken up the Beatles, but it seems she was doing her level best to prevent them from getting back together.

Date: April 29, 2017 05:26

stonehearted
The third proposed Anthology song was Now And Then (see my above post). They started work on it, but it was George who made the decision to stop.

Oops, I completely missed that post when originally replying to VoodooLounge13 - sorry you had to repeat yourself! winking smiley thumbs up
Then what about 'Grow Old With Me'...was that also worked on for Anthology for a proposed 'new' tune (as stated in the wiki article)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-29 05:28 by Hairball.

Date: April 29, 2017 05:48

Hairball
Then what about 'Grow Old With Me'...was that also worked on for Anthology for a proposed 'new' tune (as stated in the wiki article)?
Grow Old With Me was part of the original cassette home recordings that Lennon had designated as "For Paul" and was indeed among the songs Yoko handed over for the Anthology sessions. Despite that it was already released, in demo form, in 1984, it still could have been given a backing track and released under the Beatles' name.

I don't know why that Wiki article states that it was Grow Old With Me and not Now And Then that they had chosen for Anthology 3 -- the "Beatles Bible" site is the far more reliable source, if you ask me.

Date: April 29, 2017 06:12

stonehearted
Hairball
Grow Old With Me was part of the original cassette home recordings that Lennon had designated as "For Paul" and was indeed among the songs Yoko handed over for the Anthology sessions. Despite that it was already released, in demo form, in 1984, it still could have been given a backing track and released under the Beatles' name.

I don't know why that Wiki article states that it was Grow Old With Me and not Now And Then that they had chosen for Anthology 3 -- the "Beatles Bible" site is the far more reliable source, if you ask me.

Cool. And yes, wiki is sometimes unreliable the certain details - as I posted above:
"While wiki is admittedly not always 100% accurate, there's usually at least some grain of truth behind what is there. Perhaps a Beatles expert here can chime in and tell us more".

Thanks for chiming in!

And must say, neither of those 'newly' reworked 'Beatles' tunes released for Anthology are really worthy compared with the original demos of Lennon alone imo. Despite the inferior audio quality of those demos, there's something stark and poignant about them, whereas the 'Beatles' versions - while interesting - sound artificial and contrived.

Here's one original demo version of Real Love as an example of being superior.
John Lennon - Real Love (Original Guitar Version)

Somewhere, somehow, and in some way (vinyl, cassette, or cd)I have most if not all of Lennon's released solo stuff on various boxsets, posthumous releases, etc., including demos, acoustic versions, etc., and probably most can be found on youtube.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 29, 2017 07:12

stonehearted
I'll admit to liking 3 songs by Olivia Neutron-Bomb enough to buy her 2-CD collection Gold.

Sam: [www.youtube.com]

Hopelessly Devoted To You: [www.youtube.com]

A Little More Love: [www.youtube.com]

And I thought I was the only one who liked A Little More Love!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 29, 2017 07:31

I seriously like yodeling (or close enough) songs:

Bowling Ball Blues
Cowboy Night Herd Song
Cattle Call

Date: April 29, 2017 14:16

keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000
keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000
TeaAtThree
ohotos
I always found it odd that I am not that much into Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin or U2. Now I see that I am not alone!
Not that I hate them but they are more like meh to me... well, maybe I hate U2 or at least 90% of their output.

My theory on this is that none of those three bands swing at all. Springsteen is the stiffest of the three beat-wise, in my opinion. With the exception of Nebraska I find Bruce utterly unlistenable.

T@3

I don't get it how Max Weinberg stays at the top of the heap; with Springsteen, and bandleader for successful TV show. 'Stiff' is the exactly the word. His body language is so odd for a drummer.

I guess its because he can play pretty much anything at the drop of a hat

That's kind of my point - IMO he can't.

he can't? ok. walk into a room with a drumset and sit max behind it and call out songs and I bet he plays the drum part almost note for note perfect unless you were to pick some insanely difficult song like "the black page".

Yeah, I think there's a difference between playing the parts note for note, correctly, and playing it. E.g. I dont see any swing in his body language, I dont hear ghost notes from his snare hand.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2017 15:39

Elmo Lewis

While I prefer the Rolling Stones (and Chuck Berry), there is no denying that without the Beatles, Mick would be a retired millionaire accountant currently serving in Parliament and Keith would have ODed in a London gutter in 1968.

To me the Beatles were the ugliest thing that ever happened to pop music. From 1968 on Mick & Keef basically saved rock'n roll which otherwise could have sunk into "beatlesque" tripe.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 29, 2017 18:54

stonehearted
Just Grow Old With Me was released on Milk and Honey.

There's a version of "Grow Old With Me" with added George Martin orchestration on the Lennon Anthology box set.

Also, I recall reading that a studio-recorded master finished just before John was killed disappeared after his death--presumably stolen by an insider. They were never able to track it down, which is why the demo cassette version ended up on Milk and Honey.

Anyone else heard of this?

Date: April 29, 2017 19:01

I prefer Lennon solo over Jagger solo.
I prefer Harrison solo over Jagger solo.
I prefer McCartney solo over Jagger solo.
I even prefer Ringo solo over Jagger solo.

I also love bagpipe music (seriously).... way more than Jagger solo.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 29, 2017 20:17

i agree real love is better than free as a bird, both are very good songs and would have enhanced the beatles collection if released in the 60,s. the videos to these songs enhance them too, especially free as a bird. hitchcock would have been proud of it.

i always liked the beatles but they are overrated, they made great songs like across the universe, in my life, i am the walrus, helter skelter, a day in the life, hello goodbye, i saw her standing there etc, but they also made a lot of average fluffy pop music not much better than your average boyband. by contrast the stones music rocked more, had soul, was more aggressive, had more passion and feeling and the diversity and quality of written songs is unmatched by anyone.

Date: April 29, 2017 20:46

johnny winter and ace frehley are the only 2 people i've ever heard do a good stones cover and they both did a good cover twice

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 29, 2017 22:36

Hairball
I also love bagpipe music (seriously).... way more than Jagger solo.

This is embarrassing but... yeah! I love bagpipes so much they make me cry - and not for the usual reason!

Date: April 30, 2017 01:45

Wow I also love the bagpipes. I hadn't thought that was a confession but I guess so!! My favorite part of any parade is the bagpipers!! Have a couple albums of straight bagpipe music as well.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 30, 2017 02:27

My Dirty Dozen

1. I prefer early Beach Boys to the profound Brian "canon" -- I don't actually follow conversations that go past a certain point about Brian's musicality (I honestly believe Brian Wilson is a genius, and I do like and respect him a great deal, but am personally unmoved by his more esoteric material)

2. Not a fan of Bruce Springsteen, despite some proclaiming him a great poet and one of the finest songwriters of the 20th C; I find his music and lyrics plodding

3. Frank Zappa is all irony, which bores me, plus I don't respect his prudish stance on drugs -- I believe his work would have been more authentically weird if he did a few more drugs, rather than his poseuresque "hey everybody - look at me! ain't I a wacky son of a bitch?" (feel the same way about Wayne Coyne)

4. A certain type of Mexican party music with fast hard thumping repetitive beat makes me want to blow shit up (living in the Mission District in San Francisco did nothing to ameliorate the aversion) (I don't mean the older traditional shit, with out of tune guitars, harps, trumpets, violins, and 2-part harmonies sung slightly sharp - that's ok)

5. Can't stand hair metal, without exception, but especially bands with falsetto male singers.

6. Here's one that's genuinely shameful -- I don't like the Pixies as much as I "should" and have maybe implied at times through omission that I'm as big a fan as others by not speaking up to the contrary; and hav attended shows (both in the '80s and their comeback in the '00s) knowing I appreciated the experience less than everyone, but not copping to it.

7. Same thing re: The Replacements--I always wanted so much to like them, and I do sort of get what there is to appreciate them, and Paul Westerberg, but they and he never have moved me. I do feel shame for both of these aforementioned band admissions winking smiley

8. I never loved "Satisfaction" -- even as a child, age 4 or 5 -- I was already a major Stones fan at that point, but "Satisfaction" always seemed repetitive and a little boring ("Jumpin Jack Flash" was never a favorite either, tho Brian's countermelody makes it almost enjoyable...sometimes)

9. I like the album Emotional Rescue.

10. Bill Wyman has always given me the willies (way before I "knew" anything about his preferences and practices)

11. I had a lifelong crush on Mick until I met him at 15 or 16, then switched to Keith and never looked back

12. I'm sick of the Stones right now and haven't listened to them in 6 months (or more)

Wow, that was cathartic!

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-30 07:35 by swiss.

Date: April 30, 2017 03:15

God I have so many of them! But then I DO have a wide and varied collection....

I own Tom Jones Greatest Hits
I own Bridgit Mendler's debut album
I own the Village People's Greatest Hits
I've never heard a single Zappa song.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: May 2, 2017 00:14

swiss
11. I had a lifelong crush on Mick until I met him at 15 or 16, then switched to Keith and never looked back

Tell the story of how you met Mick.

Date: May 2, 2017 00:33

I was a member of the Kiss Army

I saw Van Halen three nights in a row

I saw DEVO live and I liked it

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 3, 2017 02:42

Okay, right now, this particular Disney preteen girl show
the star, Ross Lynch,
I begrudgingly admit, he's talented.
And Zendaya is good.
Dove Cameron.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-03 03:06 by 35love.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home