Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Will there be a Chuck Berry tribute concert?
Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: April 9, 2017 22:25

I hope so. With some of the best artists around.

Re: Will there be a Chuck Berry tribute concert?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 10, 2017 00:31

Feel like there won't be, at least not to the calibre he deserves. Would be amazing though to get a ton of incredible artists that are still around to pay tribute. But I just can't see anything being that high profile, at least not enough that people like Keith or others of his level would show.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: April 10, 2017 01:04

If you believe in forever, then life is just a one-night stand.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 10, 2017 01:09

BroomWagon
If you believe in forever, then life is just a one-night stand.

Well as there is no beginning and no end you're right on.

Date: April 10, 2017 01:11

RollingFreak
Feel like there won't be, at least not to the calibre he deserves. Would be amazing though to get a ton of incredible artists that are still around to pay tribute. But I just can't see anything being that high profile, at least not enough that people like Keith or others of his level would show.

What makes you think there won't be ? Of course there will be and it will be epic smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 10, 2017 01:36

stone4ever
RollingFreak

What makes you think there won't be ? Of course there will be and it will be epic smiling smiley

I agree stone4ever - I have no idea where RollingFreak gets some of these crazy ideas, and why he sounds so sure of himself.

This is a no brainer - just give it some time and it will happen in a BIG way - I don't even have to say 'in my opinion' because it's already pretty much a given that it will happen.
After all, Merle passed a whole year ago to the day of his tribute (April 6), and look what kind of event that turned out to be!
Every rock musician and band that still exists and are still breathing will be lining up to take part in a Chuck Berry Tribute!

If it were up to me, I'd even make an annual special day for him...a National Holiday similar to Martin Luther King Day.
Or maybe an annual worldwide event like Earth Day...Chuck Berry Day! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-10 01:42 by Hairball.

Date: April 10, 2017 01:45

Hairball
stone4ever
RollingFreak

I agree stone4ever - I have no idea where RollingFreak gets some of these crazy ideas, and why he sounds so sure of himself.

This is a no brainer - just give it some time and it will happen in a BIG way - I don't even have to say 'in my opinion' because it's already pretty much a given that it will happen.
After all, Merle passed a whole year ago to the day of his tribute (April 6), and look what kind of event that turned out to be!
Every rock musician and band that still exists and are still breathing will be lining up to take part in a Chuck Berry Tribute!

If it were up to me, I'd even make an annual special day for him...a National Holiday similar to Martin Luther King Day.

Absolutely Hairball,thumbs up think it was John Lennon who said he was a Rock And Roll poet.
He started this thing off and as you say people will be queuing to pay tribute to his genius.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: April 10, 2017 02:02

I hope so. It would be a great event!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 10, 2017 02:22

If this is all we're left with...it's fine with me!
Chuck Berry Keith Tribute

Date: April 10, 2017 03:13

shadooby
If this is all we're left with...it's fine with me!
Chuck Berry Keith Tribute

That says quite a bit...thumbs up

But imagine that movie x 10!!!!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 10, 2017 04:32

Gene Simmons spoke at his funeral. Surprised Keith didn't attend apparently. Stones sent flowers.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 10, 2017 04:54

I can't believe that Chuck's passing didn't get more press. I guess he outlived the fan base. As far as I'm concerned this should've got as much press as Elvis and John Lennon's passing. I'm still in mourning and have listened non stop for the past two weeks.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 10, 2017 04:55

I'm not surprised Keith wasn't there. There was no money to be made.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 10, 2017 05:39

i think keith had one in '86.
god i hate to check the news on this but suppose i have to now.
because thinking that Gene Simmons was speaking at Chuck Berry's funeral, could that be true? I mean i'm a man of a certain age; younger than the boys but no spring chicken; this is dangerous news to me at this point. i might have to vomit no lie. gene simmons u say? omg
there need be some sort of symbol or icon for WARNING THIS POST MIGHT BE DISTURBING TO SOME FANS, in cases like these, but I'm sure BV has enough to do as it is...
gene simmons u say? really?
omg. i heard a few minutes of him doing johnny b. after Chuck passed with some guys and seriously seriously, i know because the guy turns himself up louder than everybody else, even the drums, he really really truly sucks. like kids in a music store buying their first bass have more groove. oh no....
ok i saw a thirty second clip; yes he said the things we know are true and someone was there so i should not knock him but i'm going to anyway. there should have been like John Fogarty or some real brilliant cat up there like that for Chuck's funeral. I dunno. Maybe he pushed a lot of people away but that should not matter. oh no. chuck's spirit hovering over the ceremonies thinking 'jezuz gripes not the guy from kiss no no no ; this is what they mean by hell.
i hope they played some groovy rockin' stuff from the new album.
and made it Chucks show...
I guess for all the mileage k got out of chuck, like an entire career and style, he might have showed. i'm sure his management sent some flowers or something at least...

Date: April 10, 2017 05:57

hopkins
"chuck's spirit hovering over the ceremonies thinking 'jezuz gripes not the guy from kiss no no no ; this is what they mean by hell".

That is funny! smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 10, 2017 07:13

I hope there will be a tribute. Gene Simmons might not be on the level of Beatles or Stones but he is very much an advocate of Rock and Roll. Just my two cents.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 10, 2017 07:20

and a worthy two cents even tho i jump on that guy because of....well....

at least someone platinum showed up and his speech was appropriate and on target; pehaps the family really appreciated it.

Date: April 10, 2017 08:01

donvis
I can't believe that Chuck's passing didn't get more press. I guess he outlived the fan base. As far as I'm concerned this should've got as much press as Elvis and John Lennon's passing. I'm still in mourning and have listened non stop for the past two weeks.

It did get "more press"..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-10 09:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 10, 2017 08:42

DandelionPowderman
donvis

It's did get "more press"..

My thoughts too.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 10, 2017 09:38

A tribute would be nice ...but maybe after a dignified period of reflection.

And if not, as Keith said of "Hail Hail" at the time,

"....this 'll be here when we're all dead and gone."

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 10, 2017 10:28

Hairball
stone4ever
RollingFreak

I'd sign that petition!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 10, 2017 13:22

There might not have been a Rolling Stones without Berry, or at least they may have sounded very different, so I'd expect a big hat-tip from Stones at any memorial concert.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: April 10, 2017 15:09

What a sad sad day it was when another Iconic Rock & Roll legend reached the promised land but what a legacy he has left behind.
He was the original Rock & Roll master with unique mannerisms such as his duck walk plus guitar riffs that hypnotised you and also with lyrics beyond belief.
A true Iconic Rock & Roll legend who will never be forgotten and his many great songs caught the attention of the Rolling Stones in their early years and who  carried the mantle there after.
This true music man who influenced a generation and beyond deserves a tribute concert be organised in his behalf after his passing.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 10, 2017 16:02

Gene Simmons was not scheduled to speak but apparently was prodded by others in attendance. He's in town for a solo performance and an appearance at Comic-Con.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: April 11, 2017 01:49

Chuck Berry's death was major news in Los Angeles. Big photo of him on the front page of the LA Times.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 11, 2017 02:28

donvis
I can't believe that Chuck's passing didn't get more press. As far as I'm concerned this should've got as much press as Elvis and John Lennon's.
The deaths of Elvis and Lennon occurred at tragically young ages, when each were still very much still in the mainstream of popular cultural consciousness, and were the result of unnatural circumstances. The shock factor of each generated more press.

Likewise, the passing of actors in their eighties and nineties gets only a sidebar in the news, whereas those occurring at a younger age and through unnatural or mysterious circumstances (like Natalie Wood, Bob Crane, etc.) will be covered more widely.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: April 11, 2017 10:39

Not your typical flower arrangement from the Stones:

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: April 11, 2017 16:46

All artists have to get their pay in advance and in cash before the show or they won't play. And there will be cameras in the ladies restroom. Tuning guitars is forbidden throughout the show.

Some of the best and most important music of the last century will be played.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 11, 2017 16:48

Gene Simmons gave a great, heartfelt speech. I'm not a big fan of the man or his ridiculous ego, but credit where it's due.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 11, 2017 16:52

hopkins
omg. i heard a few minutes of him doing johnny b. after Chuck passed with some guys and seriously seriously, i know because the guy turns himself up louder than everybody else, even the drums, he really really truly sucks. like kids in a music store buying their first bass have more groove. oh no....
Yeah, that was truly dire.

I know Gene is the center of his little solo band, but no sane person turns his damn bass up that loud (unless you're Lemmy). It sounded ridiculous.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home