Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Veteran rockers don´t deliver according to their former heights, why?
Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: April 3, 2017 05:17

Tom Petty keeps delivering great tunes. 2014 Hypnotic eye was a great album.

Rock will never be what it was in the 60s and 70s. There are only so many chord progressions, guitars sounds, melodies, tempos, drum beats and lyric topics. It's all been done.

Anything new and good, very rare these days is recycled in some way from what was done before so a great rock song will never have the same impact today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-03 05:18 by Markdog.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 3, 2017 12:57

35love
Also, whenever there is a 'they are old' thread,
SO ARE WE.

This no doubt has a good deal to do with it: [www.bbc.com]
They're talking about teenagers but it's true in one's 20s too (a gradual decline, not a sudden drop)
and where it says "fun" it's about intensity as well. Theirs and ours.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 3, 2017 13:44

Back in the 1960s and 1970s rock stars and their music were expressing the feelings, problems and frustrations of the young generation. You cannot expect that when they're past thirty (with only very few exceptions).

What should for instance the Stones write about that would move the world like their songs did back in the 1960s and 1970s? Sex? Politics?

Therefore they're an oldies act and cash in on their classics which is the best thing they can do.

I was even surprised that their latest blues album was received so enthusiastically. If you compare their old blues numbers with the new ones Jagger's singing to me appears very forced and overdone nowadays. In his prime he sang very natural, for example listen to the live verions of Love in vain or I got the blues or Little red rooster, without mentioning the IBC recordings from 1962.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-03 13:45 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 3, 2017 17:57

saltoftheearth
Back in the 1960s and 1970s rock stars and their music were expressing the feelings, problems and frustrations of the young generation. You cannot expect that when they're past thirty (with only very few exceptions).

What should for instance the Stones write about that would move the world like their songs did back in the 1960s and 1970s? Sex? Politics?

Therefore they're an oldies act and cash in on their classics which is the best thing they can do.

I was even surprised that their latest blues album was received so enthusiastically. If you compare their old blues numbers with the new ones Jagger's singing to me appears very forced and overdone nowadays. In his prime he sang very natural, for example listen to the live verions of Love in vain or I got the blues or Little red rooster, without mentioning the IBC recordings from 1962.

Don't older people have feelings, problems, frustrations?
Dylan's recent albums certainly cover these themes.

What is probably surprising, certainly to Mick (who has spoken many times about the limits of the rock genre), is that people will still pay a lot of dosh to watch the band play their oldies, time and time again.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 3, 2017 18:19

The Cult have had three fantastic new albums in the past 10 years. Were they to their height of LOVE, ELECTRIC & SONIC TEMPLE? In totality, no, but in some aspects they've been just as good and in some cases even better due to maturity and new sounds.

AC/DC had two fantastic albums with STIFF UPPER LIP and BLACK ICE.

Neither of those bands are in their 70s though so perhaps that context doesn't fit as well even though they are "veteran rockers".

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 3, 2017 18:53

I wonder how many people here in this thread are actually musicians who had some success in their early years and now are artistically dry, and therefore can explain it from the standpoint of experience, rather than conjecture.

Anyone? I'm not saying I can explain it either, I am not a professional musician. I have asked this of a certain musician friend who had a string of #1 hits over a period of about 8 years. He can't explain it either.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 3, 2017 19:04

it's really not difficult (at least for me) to understand. In your teens and twenties you experience so many things for the first time(s) - falling in love, having sex, taking drugs, seeing really new places, meeting inspiring new peope, having more drunken, risky escapades. Given that rock music is a visceral form, raunchy and soulful, it's hardly surprising that these type of life events are what inspire the best songs and performances.

How many really amazing, surprising, soul-touching, laugh out loud funny experiences have you had in your 30s and beyond compared to in your teens and twenties?

(obviously having children can be a profoundly moving experience, but not necessary the fuel for great rock songs).

I can barely believe that people are on here scratching their heads as to why rock artists that delivered such potent magic in their teens, twenties and even thrities are no longer (in their 30s and onwards) unable to do the same.

Isn't it obvious?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-03 19:05 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 3, 2017 19:11

angee
I can't think of any rocker who wrote his best work toward the end of his career or life, assuming he/she didn't die very young. Can anyone?

Ian Hunter.

Date: April 3, 2017 19:37

It's probably due to, partially, establishing a presence and rolling on that wave of hype, popular single, good songs and touring but also a mentality that clearly changes once that era has run its course, whatever and however that works (made enough money, no more "struggling as an artist", no more "artistic hunger, we've done it" etc).

Another part of it is... regardless of a level of musicianship, are the songs any good? One can argue that starting with 1983 the Stones have not had the amount of quality songs they used to have (say 1968-1981). Perhaps being trendy like the Stones were on BRIDGES TO BABYLON was more than less a fail because that trendiness was just not the Stones. Sure, Miss You was trendy but it was also a fantastic song - and still within the confines of "black music" as they love and that they mentioned, at least one band member, as not being disco but being black music, obviously ignoring the black artists that were doing disco and strictly referring to earlier tunes that were funky, say Pusherman, etc. I'm guessing.

The garbage they did on BTB was bad. Gunface and Might As Well Get Juiced were not only way late in the trend at the time but were horrible, tuneless bad songs. Anybody Seen My Baby and, arguably, Saint Of Me, were the best of the 4 and Anybody Seen My Baby could be viewed as their 1990s Miss You but 2 of the 4 have the distinction of being singles where as the other 2 were ignored and most likely skipped over by a majority of the general music fans of the world that bought the album.

The third aspect could be: they have been around so long and have a gazillion albums, who cares? Sure there are the odd nuggets like Flip The Switch, Lowdown, Keith's 3 songs on BTB, Love Is Strong and a few on A BIGGER BANG but at that point of their career as a recording act it was just the Stones doing the Stones: they didn't help the effort of ABB by ignoring album tracks as the tour progressed.

Nothing they've done since TATTOO YOU will ever be mistaken to be as good as BEGGARS BANQUET-EOMS, SG and TY with a tiny possibility of BLUE AND LONESOME being held in those albums' esteem of solidness with songwriting and musicianship and, at times, inventiveness (UNDERCOVER being the truly last inventive Stones album that, classic Stones hits aside, is a pretty solid album but nowhere near as "good" as the previously mentioned monster albums).

Date: April 3, 2017 19:38

loog droog
angee
I can't think of any rocker who wrote his best work toward the end of his career or life, assuming he/she didn't die very young. Can anyone?

Ian Hunter.

Bob Dylan has certainly done some of his best work toward the end of his career. But that's subjective, right?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 3, 2017 19:42

GasLightStreet
loog droog
angee

Ian Hunter.

Bob Dylan has certainly done some of his best work toward the end of his career. But that's subjective, right?

Well yes he has done some brilliant work later in life but alas poor Bob lost his voice many moons ago and that is the big difference between his earlier work and his later work.

Date: April 3, 2017 19:53

I like that, actually. Listen to Trying To Get To Heaven Before They Close The Door. His ragged voice is perfection on that one.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 3, 2017 20:01

GasLightStreet
I like that, actually. Listen to Trying To Get To Heaven Before They Close The Door. His ragged voice is perfection on that one.

Oh don't get me wrong, i love his aged voice too, but i'm not sure that my wife finds it very appealing lol.
I even love the eccentric way he can just decide to sing his songs live in such a way he sounds like he has lost his marbles haha

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 3, 2017 20:13

peoplewitheyes
How many really amazing, surprising, soul-touching, laugh out loud funny experiences have you had in your 30s and beyond compared to in your teens and twenties?
As a 38-year old, you just unexpectedly depressed the hell out of me.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 3, 2017 21:01

GasLightStreet

LOL Those albums were awful, at least in my estimation. I don't hear fans praising it either. Each have like 2 good songs but the rest is pretty terrible.

Markdog
Tom Petty keeps delivering great tunes. 2014 Hypnotic eye was a great album.

Yup, he's one of the good ones. Sure they aren't Damn The Torpedoes, but Hypnotic Eye was great, and Highway Companion 10 years ago was stone cold excellent. I wonder how, unbiased, they'd hold up against Damn The Torpedoes and Full Moon Fever. Not saying they are actually that good, but sometimes its impossible for a modern album to be seen as as good as a classic and thats not on the artist. Tom Petty is on a short list of someone who I think still really tries to put out decent albums, and he certainly doesn't have to. Good on him.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 3, 2017 21:50

peoplewitheyes
it's really not difficult (at least for me) to understand. In your teens and twenties you experience so many things for the first time(s) - falling in love, having sex, taking drugs, seeing really new places, meeting inspiring new peope, having more drunken, risky escapades. Given that rock music is a visceral form, raunchy and soulful, it's hardly surprising that these type of life events are what inspire the best songs and performances.

(obviously having children can be a profoundly moving experience, but not necessary the fuel for great rock songs).

I can barely believe that people are on here scratching their heads as to why rock artists that delivered such potent magic in their teens, twenties and even thrities are no longer (in their 30s and onwards) unable to do the same.

Isn't it obvious?!

I got to be honest, my teens and early 20's experiences were "crash test dummy" times for me. Most of the time making an ass of myself without trying.....lol not really knowing the skin I was in. I've had so many greater, funny and rewarding moments in my 40 and 50's than any other period.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 3, 2017 23:15

GasLightStreet,

Thanks for reminding me of some *great* post-1990 songs by the band! cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 4, 2017 05:03

David Bowie - Blackstar. A great album by a veteran rocker!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 4, 2017 10:58

Some would disagree, see above.
I don't know.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 4, 2017 11:12

<Veteran rockers don´t deliver according to their former heights, why?>

Sometimes they do...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 4, 2017 12:36

That won't open in my country Dandy. I'm curious who your pick was!?

Still going strong at 78. The King of the New York Streets. The Wanderer.
From his latest release, just last year, "New York Is My Home."
Something like 30 studio albums into his career, not even counting 3 LP's with The Belmonts, the first of which scored a top 5 hit in US & also charted UK,
and not counting a ton of various compilations and re-issues on special boutique label releases featuring takes & alternate tracks...

...or Live In New York LP with The Little Kings backing him and some co-writing with Jeff to start off the century, some 40 full after Runaround Sue was Number 5,and all new material on a live album!?

and a re-issued live LP from a reunion w The Belmonts in summer '72 at msg...
(I think the Stones were in town that summer too! )

...this guys had a recording contract of one kind or another, from indies to Columbia Records and back again for 60 years and is still writing, singing and playing well.
Seriously, several that age are still alive but who's putting out new records, writing new songs and performing live all over the place?
Aside from Willie, who sure rocks but is rightfully more identified with country.
Grammy noms for recent releases; not just pathetic or novelty stuff; but full on working, writing, singing, playing artist...

I guess he is really the last man standing when it comes to rock and rollers who charted in the 50's...tho the tail end...58 to 60 w The Belmonts.
And for trivia buffs the only US rock star other than Bob Dylan on the Sgt. Pepper cover, tho that would get him hate points on a Stones site haha...just a few i reckon tho...

Martin Guitars made a Limited Edition Signature model (sold out) for him as well. Prepare to drop almost $4000.00 if you can find one.

Plays excellent country blues, Chigago Blues, folk music and ROCK AND ROLL
with originality; his own distinct stylings; comes from a wealth of influences...

The Winter Dance Party Tour; the bus breaking down in the freeze...
richie and buddy and big bopper take the private plane. Dion declines doesn't want to pay the $36.00 bucks. The plane crashes. A million hearts break.
Dion turns to heroin and etc....tho clean now very many decades...
i think he's still in touch with Buddy's wife almost 60 years later too.

I know most here are younger fans but there was an incredible world of rock and roll in '61 and thereabouts; and this hard blues rhythm rocker was tops and a world changer...
if for fun you ever cruise Billboards top ten or top forty year to year early sixties I think you'd be delighted by a lot of it and surprised by the diversity of it. savage young beetles had john up front on Ruby Baby, but that's just one tiny example.
Dylan talks of the sixties not really actually starting till about '65, that before that, according to him and I see his point, it was still sort of the 50's in most all aspects of the arts and culture. These early 60's seminal rockers are important some of them....more than just hit makers for a focused time but full fledged original writing performing artists...who else is really still capable of 'delivering' per se, with approximate power here and there, of the full force gale that swept them into fame...
he delivers just fine. still facile...still scatting and re-inventing each line in the present like a jazzer, but it's hard rockin' blues or very accomplished fingerstyle country blues pickin'....the real deal in every way. and i guess the longest lasting...a star hit maker in his teens, just a few years younger than Elvis and those cats...

Very recent albums getting Grammy noms and etc...
keep 'em coming boy! thumbs up :
Can't Go Back To Memphis
[www.youtube.com]

The Apollo King
[www.youtube.com]
I'd say of all the 50's guys (wi

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 19:15 by hopkins.

Date: April 4, 2017 12:45

hopkins
That won't open in my country Dandy. I'm curious who your pick was!?

Still going strong at 78. The King of the New York Streets. The Wanderer.
From his latest release, just last year, "New York Is My Home." Something like 30 studio albums into his career...and counting thumbs up :

The Apollo King
[www.youtube.com]

Can't Go Back To Memphis
[www.youtube.com]

SFM from Shanghai 2014.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 4, 2017 13:08

ty. gonna see if i can find it!

nope. found some vids of news reportage from that show tho.
frustrating. some stuff from their '06 visit but just some english speaking news coverage vids from '14 on Fire originating there are currently available in the states.
i'll keep an eye and ear out for it thank you!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-04 13:25 by hopkins.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 4, 2017 15:56

Creativity is a drive that has to be nurtured. Getting older has nothing to do with it's loss, it's more about complacency.

There are some musicians who delivered in a big way in their twilight years, others do great work that, for whatever reason, just doesn't get the recognition that it might have if they were younger.

Some of us are late bloomers...winking smiley

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: April 4, 2017 16:23

HMS
I cannot listen to Nick Cave, Ian Hunter & Tom Waits. Springsteen´s last good album was released in 1987.

Iggy Pop not reaching former hights? This guy never reached any "hight". His music was always poor.

I know it´s sacrilege but Bowie´s last two albums after his 10-years hiatus were the lousiest albums in his career. Blackstar most of all, it has two ok songs, the rest is pure cacophony.

Getting older, leading a stable life and stop doing drugs kills Rock n Roll. But it keeps the musicians alive at least. Although they bore us to death like Clapton does. David Gilmour & Mark Knopfler too. Dylan is making bad jokes in a row instead of a decent album... what a drag it is getting old for Rock n Rollers.

Your arrogant ignorance was bad enough but this - this ain't a new cake - this is the entire cake factory.

Date: April 4, 2017 16:26

stone4ever
GasLightStreet

Oh don't get me wrong, i love his aged voice too, but i'm not sure that my wife finds it very appealing lol.
I even love the eccentric way he can just decide to sing his songs live in such a way he sounds like he has lost his marbles haha

HA HA HA HA HA! Yes! That is hilarious. When I first listened to Love Sick my head about popped. I thought it was brilliant.

Date: April 4, 2017 16:31

RollingFreak
GasLightStreet

LOL Those albums were awful, at least in my estimation. I don't hear fans praising it either. Each have like 2 good songs but the rest is pretty terrible.

Really. Those are their best albums since FTATR. Everything after that is piss poor until SUL.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 4, 2017 18:09

I got to be honest, my teens and early 20's experiences were "crash test dummy" times for me. Most of the time making an ass of myself without trying.....lol not really knowing the skin I was in. I've had so many greater, funny and rewarding moments in my 40 and 50's than any other period.

Me too!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 4, 2017 18:39

GasLightStreet
HMS
I cannot listen to Nick Cave, Ian Hunter & Tom Waits. Springsteen´s last good album was released in 1987.

Iggy Pop not reaching former hights? This guy never reached any "hight". His music was always poor.

I know it´s sacrilege but Bowie´s last two albums after his 10-years hiatus were the lousiest albums in his career. Blackstar most of all, it has two ok songs, the rest is pure cacophony.

Getting older, leading a stable life and stop doing drugs kills Rock n Roll. But it keeps the musicians alive at least. Although they bore us to death like Clapton does. David Gilmour & Mark Knopfler too. Dylan is making bad jokes in a row instead of a decent album... what a drag it is getting old for Rock n Rollers.

Your arrogant ignorance was bad enough but this - this ain't a new cake - this is the entire cake factory.
He really is a jackass. I'm convinced he posts tripe like this just to piss us off...there's no other explanation.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: April 4, 2017 18:50

What is veteran? Over 60? There are some examples in rock/metal where the new albums still become better with later age.
Black Sabbath. 13 is a great album.
Nick Cave. Love his latest work and collaboration with Warren Ellis.
Paradise Lost. They are there since the late 1980's, approaching the age of fifty and I only like their latest 3 albums.
Perhaps too obscure...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-04 18:51 by shattered1978.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home