Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Keith Richards - Merle Haggard Tribute, Nashville TN April 6
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 30, 2017 17:31

Keith Richards - Merle Haggard Tribute, Nashville TN April 6

[www.rollingstone.com]

[blackbirdpresents.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 17:14 by bv.

Re: Keith Richards joins All-star Merle Haggard Tribute
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 30, 2017 18:56

Sing me back home, indeed.

Shouldn't this show be in Bakersfield?

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 30, 2017 19:05

Wow! Great lineup!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 30, 2017 20:08

I bet its a pricey ticket .....well worth it tho...

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: March 30, 2017 20:14

$125 for lower tier, some at $22 for upper. Bargain!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 30, 2017 20:17

Yes I just saw ...$21 to $125...Not bad at all....

Any Detroit area IORR'n wanna go ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 20:21 by detroitken.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 30, 2017 20:37

Just hope some footage emerges.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 30, 2017 23:53

thumbs up

SING ME BACK HOME live by KEITH april 6 ........... hot smiley

Please make this a STICKY bv.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 31, 2017 00:30

How appropriate and beautiful. The Hag a giant; Johnny Cash level and every bit as original. and the cat could rock a tele too...
2:15
[www.youtube.com]

so pleased that Keith will be in Nashville for this. thumbs up

this should take you right to the lead. it's the first time i'm trying to post a vid link that starts at a certain point in a performance. hope it works; let's see...
[youtu.be]

yeah pretty much does! just a tad early, a few seconds, but what a handy trick; it takes me forever to catch up with yesterday's technology dohh...
i knew he could fiddle really well; i somehow never had heard him just hot lick lead guitar before!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-04 09:11 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2017 00:39

Rumour has it Keith did some recordings with Merle
some years back ...... if true it'd be nice ta see them released .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 31, 2017 00:52

Sounds Great !!Looking forward to see some videos.
jeroen

Date: March 31, 2017 02:06

Sing Me Back Home (M. Haggard):
Keith Richards
[www.youtube.com]

The warden led a prisoner down the hallway to his doom
I stood up to say good-bye like all the rest
And I heard him tell the warden just before he reached my cell
'Let my guitar playing friend do my request.' (Let him...)

Sing me back home with a song I used to hear
Make my old memories come alive
Take me away and turn back the years
Sing Me Back Home before I die

I recall last Sunday morning a choir from 'cross the street
Came to sing a few old gospel songs
And I heard him tell the singers 'There's a song my mama sang.
Can I hear once before we move along?'

Sing me back home, the song my mama sang
Make my old memories come alive
Take me away and turn back the years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-31 02:09 by hopkins.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: March 31, 2017 06:07

This is gonna be good, very good!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 31, 2017 18:18

Date: March 31, 2017 19:10

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: April 1, 2017 00:38

I've been looking into going to this all morning but it's kinda short notice. Tickets are only $125 but the airfare is too expensive by now. Would be a really nice birthday present though, it's on the same day! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Re: Keith Richards - Merle Haggard Tribute, Nashville TN April 6
Date: April 4, 2017 09:01

Diverse artists ready to 'Sing Me Back Home' for Haggard

By James Beaty

It’s hard to comprehend Merle Haggard’s been gone for nearly a year now — but the most impressive list of musical artists I’ve seen lined up for a concert in ages are coming together this week to celebrate his music.

Thousands of singers and musicians have registered hit recordings in the U.S. since the dawn of the phonograph age in the late 1890s and the early part of the 20th Century.

Many of them were one-hit wonders and and countless others went on to notch numerous hits. Still, many are nearly forgotten today, except by music aficionados.

Who knows why some artists go on to become legends and others fade into the mists of time, regardless of the musical quality of their recorded output? It’s becoming more and more apparent that Haggard is one whose music is going to endure through the coming years. His music is already the focus of a multi-artist tribute set for this week in Tennessee.

Who else but Merle Haggard could bring together such a diverse group of artists as Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams Jr., Sheryl Crow, Kenny Chesney, Kacey Musgraves, Miranda Lambert and Oklahoma’s own Toby Keith?

Also include Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alabama, the Avett Brothers, Alison Krauss, John Anderson, Jamey Johnson, Oklahoma’s Ronnie Dunn, Dierks Bentley, Lucinda Williams, Bobby Bare and Connie Smith.

Even ZZ Top’s guitarist/singer Billy Gibbons and second-generation Allman Brothers guitar player Warren Hayes are on the bill.

They’ve all answered the call to pay tribute to this unforgettable singer-songwriter, guitarist and fiddler.

The concert, called “Sing Me Back Home: The Music of Merle Haggard,” is set for April 6 at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on what would have been Haggard’s 80th birthday. It also marks a year to the day since he passed away on April 6, 2016.

Despite the array of musicians lined up to perform, a drawing of Haggard and an announcement that the concert is about his music is all that adorns a poster promoting the event.

Really, that’s all that’s needed.

With such a lineup, plans are in place to record the concert. Here’s hoping for a quick release, a TV telecast or DVD/Blue Ray offering — and there’s always the chance some performances will be posted by audience members on youtube following the concert event.

I have to wonder how the musical directors determined which artist gets to sings what song. No need to worry about running out of material though, as every Haggard fan knows. Even with all the artists set to perform at the tribute, they will only scratch the musical surface of Haggard’s vast song catalogue and recorded output.

Not only do they have Haggard’s remarkable hits to consider, ranging from “Swingin’ Doors” and “Branded Man” to “Silver Wings” and “Mama Tried,” there’s also Haggard’s outstanding deep albums cuts — which often are as musically rewarding as his more well-known songs.

Haggard’s also done entire album tributes to other artists, such as the Singing Brakeman, Jimmie Rodgers; Western swing legend Bob Wills and even Elvis Presley, with “From Graceland to the Promised Land.”

Richards, a longtime admirer of Haggard’s musical and songwriting abilities, was a late addition to the concert lineup. He obviously wanted to join in the tribute along with all the other artists.

I remember the Rolling Stones guitarist being a longtime fan of country music. He voiced the praises of artists such as Johnny Cash as far back as the 1960s. He also became a close friend of Gram Parsons, the American musician and mentor of Emmy Lou Harris, who is credited with inspiring the Stones’ great song, “Wild Horses.” Parsons is also credited with being a pioneer of today’s Americana movement.

Richards has spoken in interviews of how he first performed with Haggard in a sort of all-star band during a rehearsal for a television special. He barely noticed that the grizzled guitarist sitting nearby wearing a straw Stetson was Haggard, until the Hag greeted him with a knowing nod and a wink.

Richards, who related how he almost lost his place in the song when he recognized Haggard, said the two became friends. He believes that’s because they mutually recognized that each of them had been through a lot, sort of brothers of the road.

Haggard ultimately left this world as a working musician. He stayed on the road until nearly the end, although he could have retired years earlier and lived a comfortable life on his songwriting royalties alone.

Those who are real musicians though, are in it for the music.

Haggard devoted his life to bringing his music to the people.

Here’s to all the musicians — both the multiplatinum artists performing in Nashville on April 6 and the front-porch pickers in Oklahoma and around the nation — who will continue to keep Haggard’s songs alive for as long as listeners are receptive to creative melodies, heart-wrenching lyrics and a voice that speaks from the heart.

[www.mcalesternews.com]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 4, 2017 23:17

Anyone going to this tribute, hopefully they take some video camera footage and put it on you tube for the rest of us. Sounds like a great line up of artists. Any info on what Keith will sing ??
He usually rises to the occasion and delivers in these situations.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: April 5, 2017 01:38

stone4ever
Anyone going to this tribute, hopefully they take some video camera footage and put it on you tube for the rest of us. Sounds like a great line up of artists. Any info on what Keith will sing ??

He sang a few verses of "sing me back home" in his Netflix Documentary.
My money is on that song.

Date: April 5, 2017 03:42

dennycranium
stone4ever

Merle's version is nice, a little more uptempo than Keith's or Garcia's back in the early 70's. This is probably Keith's song, can't wait to hear it....smiling bouncing smiley

Date: April 5, 2017 05:04

i'll post this again cause i love it so much; Keith doing Sing Me Back Home. This version a little more present and loud than the one in my previous post where I pasted the lyric:
[www.youtube.com]

really a treat to just hear Keith solo accompanying himself on the piano. A treasure to me this one.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 5, 2017 06:35

Date: April 6, 2017 00:12

"Nashville, here I come!"

[twitter.com]

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: April 6, 2017 00:43

I wonder how many songs he will play. I requested "Silver Wings".

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 6, 2017 01:09

dennycranium
stone4ever

Hey yeah lets hope so that will be a nice touch thumbs up

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 6, 2017 01:15

When somebody as guitar driven as Keith does a show like this...do their guitars show up with them and a trusted guitar tech manages all the star's instruments?

or does Pierre show up for the show as well?
Does he need to know what song he will sing prior, to arrange the best guitars?

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 6, 2017 05:15

Nice pic of Keith on the plane. Landing in Nashville I take it. And a pen in his pocket...ready to sign autographs? smileys with beer

Date: April 6, 2017 11:39

snorton
When somebody as guitar driven as Keith does a show like this...do their guitars show up with them and a trusted guitar tech manages all the star's instruments?

or does Pierre show up for the show as well?
Does he need to know what song he will sing prior, to arrange the best guitars?

Good questions. I would assume Keith knows what his assigned song is and there is rehearsal time. Big doing tonight...cool smiley

Date: April 6, 2017 11:46

I had never paid active attention to the lyrics, to the story. As many times I have heard the song. I can play the piano parts, but didn't know the story. That was my crime.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 6, 2017 16:00

From Blackbird Presents yesterday:

In the process of getting instruments and equipment on stage to begin rehearsals.
Keep an eye out for live streams!
#MusicOfMerle @fender

[twitter.com]

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home