Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What the worst weather they ever had for a show?
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 24, 2017 18:16

Georges
Heavy rain:
Saturday June 28th 2014 Werchter, Belgium.
Saturday July 1st 1995 Paris, France.

I've been to both gigs and as far as heavy rain is concerned Werchter's was a joke compared to Longschamps'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 18:17 by Wild Slivovitz.

Date: March 24, 2017 18:23

I do remember the concert in Chicago where it was freezing they were wearing winter coats.
Columbia last year was a mess although the rain did stop for the most part by the time the Stones hit the stage.
The worst weather of all was when I saw Pink Floyd in Dallas lightening was bouncing off the scaffolding.
Although I was at a Grateful Dead concert in DC in 1994 I think it was a fan was struck by lightening in the middle of the field. The woman next to me said "cool side effect" it was hard to forget.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 24, 2017 18:28

Irix
Almost Goffert Park, Nijmegen, Netherlands, June 8, 2007.

While Van Morisson had to give up completely the Warm-up Show, the Cats&Dogs-Rain + Thunderstorm stopped exactly as the Stones hit the stage ....

You beat me to it Irix - heavy rain, thunder, tarps, etc. I remember drinking small plastic cups of beer in the rain!
Other than that, the only rain I've experienced at a Stones show was at Pac Bell stadium in San Francisco during Licks tour...or maybe it was ABB?.
It rained all over Sheryl Crowe, but once again it stopped before the Stones hit the stage!

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 24, 2017 18:33

The Worst.
Halifax 2006
Madrid 1982

I'll second that! Halifax was a hell of a storm. It held off for Kanye West and Alice Cooper, then the sky opened up for The Stones.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 24, 2017 18:45

Hairball

You beat me to it Irix - heavy rain, thunder, tarps, etc. I remember drinking small plastic cups of beer in the rain!

After the heavy rain my shoes were during the whole concert full of water - because I had no umbrella, poncho or similar. But the place in front of the B-Stage was worth it .... smiling smiley

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 24, 2017 18:53

Koen
5 September 1998 - The Hague. Lots of rain.

I can second that, so much rain but it was still a good show i thought.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 24, 2017 18:59

Irix
Hairball

After the heavy rain my shoes were during the whole concert full of water - because I had no umbrella, poncho or similar. But the place in front of the B-Stage was worth it .... smiling smiley

My wife and I were right near you, she was stressing out from the thunder, and we squeezed under a sheet of plastic with the people next to us during the heaviest of the rain.
We came out of it alive with memories of a great show and a great city - I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 24, 2017 19:09

franzk
Rain and cold are terrible conditions for sure, but so is sweltering heat. On the day they performed in Budapest, 20 July 2007, the city experienced record temperature EVER, over 40 C!

[iorr.org]

The Nashville show in 2015 was the same. Great show, but what I always remember first is the ungodly heat.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 24, 2017 19:17

teleblaster
MAF
AntoineParis
The storm at Longchamps 1 july 1995
Totally crazy

Oh yes, I remember. A show with rain, thunder and lightnings.
And the day before the show was sunny and dry I think.

You're correct. The previous day was so hot and sunny that they cut the set (omitting, as I remember, IORR).

I was at the Hot Day show the day before, and when I say hot, it was really hot.
The Organisation got a great idea to protect the grass of the Hyppodrome, on the ground instead you got some white hard plastic protection which reflect even more the sun.In some hours during the pre-show you were tanned for the summer to come >grinning smiley<

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 19:17 by Honestman.

Date: March 24, 2017 19:19

steffialicia
June, 2015 Pittsburgh, PA. The worst rain, thunder, lightening pre-show. I had first row seats and was totally bummed although I knew it would still be wonderful. Just as the show began, the torrential storm stopped and there was a DOUBLE RAINBOW in the sky!!!!

My rainbow pic:

[iorr.org]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 24, 2017 19:26

Keith on his way to play the weather man with rainstick

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: March 24, 2017 19:41

Koen
5 September 1998 - The Hague. Lots of rain.

8 August 1964 - The Hague. Lots of raining seats! grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 24, 2017 20:05

The newspapers said there was cloudburst in Bristol - England on 27.6.1982 - I was there but don't remember it.........smoking smiley

Date: March 24, 2017 20:30

The Joker

Keith on his way to play the weather man with rainstick

And in action in Atlanta 2015:

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 24, 2017 20:48

I also remember many years ago having dinner pre-show with my "Stones buddy" who has since past. I was telling the waitress that we were going to see the Stones at Giant Stadium in NJ but that I was bummed about the impending bad weather. That wise waitress said "you don't worry about the weather when you're going to see the Stones, you see them in a tornado, you see them in a hurricane." It was a torrential downpour and a fabulous show. Can anyone help me with the year of that show??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 20:50 by steffialicia.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: March 24, 2017 21:02

Meadowlands 94

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: March 24, 2017 21:03

steffialicia
June, 2015 Pittsburgh, PA. The worst rain, thunder, lightening pre-show. I had first row seats and was totally bummed although I knew it would still be wonderful. Just as the show began, the torrential storm stopped and there was a DOUBLE RAINBOW in the sky!!!!

Yep, and super humid all day. Great show

Date: March 24, 2017 21:04

potus43
Meadowlands 94

thank you.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 24, 2017 21:24

One of the worst: Porto Alegre 2016.

Date: March 24, 2017 21:33

potus43
steffialicia

...and I had the hair to prove it. grinning smiley

Date: March 24, 2017 21:35

latebloomer
potus43
steffialicia

...and I had the hair to prove it. grinning smiley

Wild hair, wild time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 21:36 by steffialicia.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: March 24, 2017 21:51

geordiestone
There was a show at Sheffield's Don Valley, either Licks or Bang where it pissed down really heavy, i always remember Charlie smiling away staying dry while the rest of the band were dripping. They rushed through the set that night in well under 2 hours.

I was there for the Bigger Bang show in 2006 when it rained pretty heavy but it wasn't the whole show. Started about five songs in and was over by the time they'd come back from the B stage. I remember them doing Get Off My Cloud on the B stage with Mick in a full length mack and rain hat on. I quite enjoyed it as there was a feeling of all being in it together. Mick made a few jokes about it asking the guys who put underlay on the stage if could come and do his kitchen. The set was 1 hour 50 minutes which was normal for the BB shows at that time. It was the usual 19 songs.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 24, 2017 22:02

Holland Groningen 1999...........a lot lot of rain before the Stones entered the stage.......the field was soaked and wet not able to sit down for 4 ours and I have to walk a 1/2 our to get to my car and 3,5 ours to drive home completely broken.

But the concert was great ;o)

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 24, 2017 22:19

I don't know if it was their wettest gig ever but I love this shot from Porto Alegre, Brazil on March 2nd last year.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 24, 2017 22:26

Paris '95 was the craziest rain storm I ever stood in. As mentioned above it was quite a contrast to the day before, hot and sunny. I won't forget our train ride back to the hotel where we all looked at each other and laughed at being completely soaked. Good ice breaker to talk to fellow fans. Plus I bought an unwanted shirt just to warm up a bit. What a night, what a concert!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 24, 2017 22:45

Deltics
I don't know if it was their wettest gig ever but I love this shot from Porto Alegre, Brazil on March 2nd last year.

smileys with beer

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 24, 2017 23:12

Deltics

Yes, that's a really cool pic, but I was at that show, and the pic makes it look heavier than it was.

Date: March 25, 2017 13:15

atip

Yes, that's a really cool pic, but I was at that show, and the pic makes it look heavier than it was.

It's a 'Photo art' - [Twitter.com]

Video by The Rolling Stones - [Twitter.com]

Fan-Video 'Miss You - Porto Alegre' - [www.YouTube.com]

Some real pics - [iorr.org] :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-25 13:35 by Irix.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 25, 2017 13:18

Cologne 1999 was extremely rainy. I have wonderful memories from that night.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 25, 2017 13:51

EddieByword
The newspapers said there was cloudburst in Bristol - England on 27.6.1982 - I was there but don't remember it.........smoking smiley

Munich 1982 second show: a very hot afternoon, then heavy rain, a lot of people left their seats,a little bit chaos, people left the field climbing upstars to some seats under the roof...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1405
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home