Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Chuck - The new Chuck Berry Album
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 27, 2017 13:57

In my opinion there's no improving Chuck Berry music. Although I must say I prefer the more raw dirtier sound which is right here in these 2 songs. There is no where else to take it without ruining it. My two cents.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 27, 2017 14:07

DandelionPowderman
matxil
I'm a bit surprised that after all these years (decades), he apparantly never got interested to add something new to his music. It's as if the last 50 years haven't happened. It's not as if I'd expect him to do hip-hop or electronic music - that would have been silly -, but I mean, rock-n-roll music has evolved since back then, right? But these songs might have been written 50 years ago.

Perhaps he noticed what happened to the other ones who went that route, and how unsuccessful they were in trying to make «contemporary» music.

Then again, Chuck's biggest hit is still My Ding-A-Ling...

I don't think John Lee Hooker was unsuccesful with his albums from the 90s. And while those were still firmly based on the blues, he did sound new and updated.
Muddy Waters made one great psychedelic album in the late 60s which, personally, I like very much. Aretha Franklin or Tina Turner had some success in the 80s and 90s too, whatever you might think of the musical qualities of what they did then.

But, apart from succesful or not, I am suprised by his lack of will to do something new. If you are such a talentful lyricist and guitar player, with such a feeling for timing, wouldn't you want to take it somewhere else? Again, I am not talking about doing something wildly experimental, but the two songs I just heard here add nothing to his great masterpieces from the 40s and 50s.

Date: April 27, 2017 14:21

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
I'm a bit surprised that after all these years (decades), he apparantly never got interested to add something new to his music. It's as if the last 50 years haven't happened. It's not as if I'd expect him to do hip-hop or electronic music - that would have been silly -, but I mean, rock-n-roll music has evolved since back then, right? But these songs might have been written 50 years ago.

Perhaps he noticed what happened to the other ones who went that route, and how unsuccessful they were in trying to make «contemporary» music.

I don't think John Lee Hooker was unsuccesful with his albums from the 90s. And while those were still firmly based on the blues, he did sound new and updated.
Muddy Waters made one great psychedelic album in the late 60s which, personally, I like very much. Aretha Franklin or Tina Turner had some success in the 80s and 90s too, whatever you might think of the musical qualities of what they did then.

But, apart from succesful or not, I am suprised by his lack of will to do something new. If you are such a talentful lyricist and guitar player, with such a feeling for timing, wouldn't you want to take it somewhere else? Again, I am not talking about doing something wildly experimental, but the two songs I just heard here add nothing to his great masterpieces from the 40s and 50s.

I agree about the success. However, I didn't find the stuff the artists you mentioned released particularly exciting or fresh.

Like I said, Chuck hit the (sales)mark with My Ding-A-Ling. That was different..

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 28, 2017 00:31

How much did Chuck actually play on this album is the question for me. I know he was 90.

Date: April 28, 2017 00:45

black n blue
How much did Chuck actually play on this album is the question for me. I know he was 90.

We hear him loud and clear. However, the album was recorded over many years.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 28, 2017 06:32

DandelionPowderman
black n blue

We hear him loud and clear. However, the album was recorded over many years.

Not to mention, nothing said he couldn't still play, some parts I believe were recorded recently. Also he was still playing at his club in St. Louie once a month or so, up until about a year or so ago. Also BB King was still playing live to about age 90 too, so not a big deal -- I know personally, I got to see BB play about 4 months before he died and it was a great show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-28 06:34 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2017 06:42

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

I agree about the success. However, I didn't find the stuff the artists you mentioned released particularly exciting or fresh.

Like I said, Chuck hit the (sales)mark with My Ding-A-Ling. That was different..

John Lee Hookers 'The Healer' album from 1989 was mostly pretty good to excellent.
Filled with collaborations, my favorite is the title track with Carlos Santana blazing away on lead guitar. Next best would be the more subtle "I'm in the Mood" with Bonnie Raitt which won the Grammy Award for Best Traditional Blues Performance.

Date: April 28, 2017 08:08

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

John Lee Hookers 'The Healer' album from 1989 was mostly pretty good to excellent.
Filled with collaborations, my favorite is the title track with Carlos Santana blazing away on lead guitar. Next best would be the more subtle "I'm in the Mood" with Bonnie Raitt which won the Grammy Award for Best Traditional Blues Performance.

It was good (as was the case with Mr. Lucky), but not as good as what he did in his prime. Some of Hooker's guitar sound was gone (which was sad), replaced by a pop-ish sound that didn't suit him too well, imo.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2017 09:30

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

It was good (as was the case with Mr. Lucky), but not as good as what he did in his prime. Some of Hooker's guitar sound was gone (which was sad), replaced by a pop-ish sound that didn't suit him too well, imo.

Yes the production sound was perhaps a bit too clean and maybe 'pop-ish', but thatwas kind of 'state of the art' and contemporary at the time, and it served him well as far as having a successful album.
And no doubt not as good as what he did in his prime, but the same could be said of the inferior Stones albums (for example) from the same period compared to what they did in their prime.

Date: April 28, 2017 09:46

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

Yes the production sound was perhaps a bit too clean and maybe 'pop-ish', but thatwas kind of 'state of the art' and contemporary at the time, and it served him well as far as having a successful album.
And no doubt not as good as what he did in his prime, but the same could be said of the inferior Stones albums (for example) from the same period compared to what they did in their prime.

He really deserved the mainstream success, so I guess releasing a few current-sounding albums was in order smiling smiley

He's my favourite (together with Leadbelly) of the ol' greats, btw thumbs up

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 28, 2017 12:17

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

He really deserved the mainstream success, so I guess releasing a few current-sounding albums was in order smiling smiley

He's my favourite (together with Leadbelly) of the ol' greats, btw thumbs up

These albums gave him financial security in his later years, not to mention kudos and an introduction to a new audience via the big name guests. I would guess that this renewed interest in him increased sales of his earlier classic material and did no harm to ticket sales. I remember the buzz they created at the time.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 29, 2017 14:44

Chuck berry's new song :

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-01 13:42 by rollmops.

OT : It's about to happen (no joke) Chuck! in T-Minus 30...
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 6, 2017 21:37

Been on this forum for nearly ten years and have told everyone "My dad is almost done" I'm sure many of you thought I was like listening to a record skipping. Well, we are about a month out from a full release of what has turned out to be a really good record (of course, that'just my opinion).

Just hope everyone likes it.

[www.facebook.com]

CBII

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-06 22:36 by CBII.

Re: OT : It's about to happen (no joke)
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 6, 2017 21:40

CBII
Been on this forum for nearly ten years and have told everyone "My dad is almost done" I'm sure many of you thought I was like listening to a record skipping. Well, we are about a month out from a full release of what has turned out to be a really good record (of course, that'just my opinion).

CHUCK! In red Vinyl

Great news, but the content of the link isn't available.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 6, 2017 22:05

Cristiano Radtke
CBII

CHUCK! In red Vinyl

Try it now, I tried to get fancy and goofed.

Date: May 6, 2017 22:09

CBII
Cristiano Radtke
CBII

CHUCK! In red Vinyl

Try it now, I tried to get fancy and goofed.

Same message, unfortunately. Perhaps you'll need to change the post configurations to make it visible to everyone.

EDIT: it's working now. Thanks for letting us know about it, CBII. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-06 22:13 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 6, 2017 22:13

Try this one.

[www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: OT : It's about to happen (no joke) Chuck! in T-Minus 30...
Date: May 6, 2017 22:50

It looks great! thumbs up

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 6, 2017 22:58

Wow fantastic

Thanks

Nate thumbs up

Date: May 6, 2017 23:19

Perfect color for a Rock And Roll record, and guitar too I might add!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 6, 2017 23:35

Very nice, CBII. Thanks for letting us all know. Looking forward to it!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 7, 2017 09:46

Sure like Big Boys. What a kick to web-search 'chuck berry new single' in 2017!!
"...yes, yes; I knew when and what to get, no if's ands or buts..."

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 15, 2017 20:54

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2017 18:33

Sounds great, the two new songs I listened to on YouTube. In fact, they sound excellent. Chuck's voice has always had fluid swagger to it and it's certainly on Big Boys and Wonderful Woman.

At first I thought it may've been Steve Jordan on drums!

For his final studio effort, he employs his ace Blueberry Hill back-up band: daughter Ingrid Berry (harmonica); Charles Berry Jr. (guitar); Jimmy Marsala (bass); Robert Lohr (piano); and Keith Robinson (drums).

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: May 17, 2017 18:12

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 17, 2017 18:45

Thanks for sharing Christiano. Fun video. I like it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 17, 2017 19:06

Nice video. Thanks for posting. Can't wait until 9 June. Rock and Roll smiling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 18, 2017 02:35

"NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS!" ... Getting closer. How great is it that cousin Marvin Berry helped jump start Chuck's career!

Date: May 18, 2017 20:09

Uncut - July 2017

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 19, 2017 01:47

Even tho The Stones helped turn me on to Chuck's original stuff more than anyone else, I still remember how as a 15 yr old in 1972 the "London Sessions" was kickin r n r!! (well, I know the live side is what drew a lot of attention but I wore out that studio side..not a weak tune on it) and later "Rock It" was a favorite too especially the re-cut "Havana Moon"..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 01:48 by scottkeef.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home