Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: All Time Greatest Chuck Covers
Date: March 24, 2017 11:25

The Rolling Stones – Beautiful Delilah:

[www.youtube.com]

It's not Christmas yet, but here's Hanoi Rocks with Run Rudolph Run:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 24, 2017 15:50

The Yardbirds version of Too Much Monkey Business is great off of Five Live Yardbirds:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 15:52 by Happy Jack.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 24, 2017 15:57

My Chuck Berry done by Stones-favourite is:

Don't Lie To Me

2 1 2 0

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 24, 2017 19:21

matxil
Very few bands can really cover Chuck Berry well. Most end up sounding without groove, boring Las Vegas rock n roll. The big exception of course is - wait for it - the Rolling Stones.
Two of my favourites are Down the Road Apiece from Rolling Stones 2 and Little Queenie from Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. But the winner has to be the latter:

[www.youtube.com]

Whereas Chuck Berry's version sounds witty, cool and naughty, the Stones version is dirty, raw and deliciously perverse.

Little Queenie from Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is also my all time favorite cover... Albeit, there is this famous Charlie's mistake in the intro... Hitting the strong 1/4 and 3/4 beats, then switching to 2/4 and 4/4/.... I never had it noticed until a professional bass player told me "how can you stand it?" Well, it never had bother me, and still doesn't

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 27, 2017 20:25

A few fans here have mentioned Stewart's take on Sweet Little Rock & Roller.
Ron's tone in those days was just monstrous. totally warm and perfectly raunchy & wild.
His lead on that, at least on that late Faces concert where K shows up on that one, is really hot and beautiful too...Ron was like the most exciting guitarist of all of 'em for awhile there in my life....

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 27, 2017 20:31

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-28 16:55 by stone-relics.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: March 27, 2017 21:46

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-28 17:00 by Milan.

Date: March 28, 2017 13:29

Happy Jack
The Yardbirds version of Too Much Monkey Business is great off of Five Live Yardbirds:

[www.youtube.com]

the BBC version is also great. jeff becks rips out a solo

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2017 13:39

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: March 28, 2017 14:20

No one did Chuck as good as the Stones - maybe apart from Chuck himself.

Other contenders:
Jimi Hendrix - Johnny B. Goode
[www.youtube.com]

Bruce Springsteen - Sweet Little Sixteen
[www.youtube.com]

Emmylou Harris - You Never Can Tell
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: March 28, 2017 16:58

Are there any younger bands out there today doing a kind of Chuck Berry sound?

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: March 28, 2017 17:49

JohnnyBGoode
Are there any younger bands out there today doing a kind of Chuck Berry sound?

Not a young band, but younger than the Stones :

The Count Bishops from the mid-70ies :

Dear Dad [www.youtube.com]

Carol [www.youtube.com]

Beautiful Delilah [www.youtube.com]

Sweet Little 16 [www.youtube.com]

resotele

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 28, 2017 18:01

The Head Cat - Reelin and Rockin

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 28, 2017 20:11

Here are a few favorites I don't recall seeing mentioned.

MC5 - Back In The U.S.A.
The Downliners Sect - Our Little Rendezvous
The Pretty Things - Oh Baby Doll
The Animals - Memphis
Dr. Feelgood - I'm Talking About You

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-28 20:29 by boogaloojef.

Date: March 28, 2017 20:37

Jimi Hendrix playing two guitars, Johny B. Good.

[www.youtube.com]

Rolling Stones Essen1970, Roll over Beethoven.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 28, 2017 20:43

yes that rocket fuel MC5 version has always knocked my block off; I think it's one of the most important and significant covers in a way...it's like a band just at end of the 2nd and beginning of 3rd generation rockers and it's just so full of crazy jubilant joy maybe even with a hint of rage...which is not inappropriate considering Chuck wrote this in response to touring Australia at at time when racism was very much in his face and disturbing him; and this song sort of a reaction to that; wanting to get home....where it wasn't exactly racism-free let's not kid ourselves...but something else was happening culturally; and black people, tho still suffering under racism in the USA, were still an enormous and meaningful cross section of citizens and a huge population element; and widely present, and also revered, for the genius of guys going back to early seminal Louis Armstrong and forward from there...
so much has changed in 60 years.
so much has remained the same, or gotten more weird as we find the color green is really the only color that represents power in this country...imo.
and black, white, yellow, brown or red once it's about that green, we got the same guy protecting his own class at that level, and the rest of it's show biz, snake oil and hanky panky....seems a little cynical but i'm a happy enough guy...not that much green tho.... ;-)

MC5 ripped the head right off this one. That piano players going crazy; those fast as hell guitars and the vicous tempo are perfect. It's as perfect as an early short Little Richard hit or something. It just shows up like a freight train; or supersonic jet; hits you hard and then is gone before you know it...all u can do is play it again and be thankful...and hold on...

they did a similar thing to Tutti Fruitti; I think the federal government pretty much considered these guys the most dangerous band in the land and the that surely had to go one way or another....tho their own bad habits and residual craziness and wildness brought them down and broke them apart as much as anything else,,,,but these guys did have a big target on their backs....
this race mixing thing; this aggressive, some said wild jungle music that was an affront to God Himself and all that...and then w Dylan and people inspied by Chuck and others started to write about social and cultural issues,,,it was seen as a major major threat by Hoover and a lot of guys from his generation. there was a lot of hate about this music and all these players....that's part of the story too...
i never knew Chuck wrote that song after being burned on tour overseas and was in his sly way just breaking for freedom; and you can feel that sense of joy and possibility in this music...

i don't know the specifics for sure. but Chuck's Mann act bust; that was used against Jack Johnson for having a white girl friend...it HAS been used as a racial weapon masquerading as a moral law...so i don't know if some white guy would have gone in for that...thinking of what zep and all those guys were doing with whatever fans...beatles, all of them....

hard to know for sure....
[heavy.com]

i mean chuck was kinda creepy too so i dunno....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-28 20:55 by hopkins.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 28, 2017 23:58

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-29 12:03 by stone-relics.

Date: March 29, 2017 01:38

Roy Orbison - Memphis Tennessee (1972)
[www.youtube.com]
kinda weird but kinda roy!

Jerry Lee Lewis - James Burton - Sweet Little Sixteen
[www.youtube.com]
pretty serious business for ol' Jerry Lee here; but after Burton's solo he just had to crack that big smile...
then at the end he's all "Play it James!"
and omg he sure does; and ol' Jerry Lee gets this incredible look on his face you never see...just like sorta...welll okkkaaayyyyyy then...!
...or 'well that was sorta incredibaalll' kinda look on his face...
cause that geetar just ripped it right up....big rare precious smile from the Killer.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 29, 2017 15:20

IMO no other band could cover Chuck Berry like the Rolling Stones. They just had an incfedible feel for the music. They could make it rock and they could make it swing. When Brian, Bill, and Stew were in the band they took the Chuck songs to an incredible level. They covered so many Chuck Berry songs and in many cases brought those songs back to life. It was in those early years that kids who were Stones fans were able to get the depth of Chuck Berry's music, apart from his hits. Stew got Johnnie Johnson big time which added a lot. To hear the Stones belt out those Berry songs like Carol, Queenie, Roll Over Beethoven, Sweet Little Sixteen, Let It Rock, Don't Lie to Me, Bye Bye Johnnie, in the 60's and 70's was usually the highlight of those concerts for me. Keith would just kill those numbers. Resurrecting Let It Rock, Sweet Little Sixteen on the 78 tour was fantastic. The Texas show on DVD/CD is a lasting testament. While the Stones were blues fanatics they could nail rock and roll like no other Band. The question begs is what would the Stones have sounded like without Chuck Berry? Thank God Mick and Keith loved Chuck Berry music. We are all better for it.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 29, 2017 15:33

filstan
IMO no other band could cover Chuck Berry like the Rolling Stones. They just had an incfedible feel for the music. They could make it rock and they could make it swing. When Brian, Bill, and Stew were in the band they took the Chuck songs to an incredible level. They covered so many Chuck Berry songs and in many cases brought those songs back to life. It was in those early years that kids who were Stones fans were able to get the depth of Chuck Berry's music, apart from his hits. Stew got Johnnie Johnson big time which added a lot. To hear the Stones belt out those Berry songs like Carol, Queenie, Roll Over Beethoven, Sweet Little Sixteen, Let It Rock, Don't Lie to Me, Bye Bye Johnnie, in the 60's and 70's was usually the highlight of those concerts for me. Keith would just kill those numbers. Resurrecting Let It Rock, Sweet Little Sixteen on the 78 tour was fantastic. The Texas show on DVD/CD is a lasting testament. While the Stones were blues fanatics they could nail rock and roll like no other Band. The question begs is what would the Stones have sounded like without Chuck Berry? Thank God Mick and Keith loved Chuck Berry music. We are all better for it.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 29, 2017 16:44

Speaking of Chuck Covers, they have the new CD cover on Amazon now:

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 29, 2017 17:11

filstan

Wow. I was just about to write pretty much everything you said! Now I don't need to! Thanks! smiling smiley I'll just add that it bummed me out a little when the Stones drifted away from doing a lot of Berry covers on tour. But then again, they evolved into writing their own. would we ever have It's Only Rock And Roll, Respectable, etc, without Chuck's influence? Kinda doubt it.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 29, 2017 17:27

[digitaledition.chicagotribune.com]

Really nice interview with Keith about Chuck in the paper today.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home