Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Crossfire Hurricane is on Netflix
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 21, 2017 14:54

just saw this last night, I have the DVD, but if anyone hasn't seen it, and wants to ,

Crossfire Hurricane is on Netflix..if you have it..

some interesting commentary, lots about the riots and frenzy of the 60's shows.

Re: Crossfire Hurricane is on Netflix
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 18, 2017 04:47

Watching it now - never seen it, so far so good.

Date: April 18, 2017 04:57

I'm still waiting on a 1981-20xx sequel!

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 18, 2017 09:36

Ehh ok for those that like it, but I couldn't stand this for some reason. 25x5 was great but I feel like this shouldn't have been released. Maybe it's just me.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 18, 2017 15:07

i liked it and recommend it highly. Now if only the 2 newer releases would get on Amazon Prime or Netflix...I'd be happier still...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 18, 2017 22:36

Thought it was great, but in fairness I've never seen 25X5 and I've heard its very similar. But the other is very readily available and this one just came out at a good time I thought. Nothing totally new in it, but I thought it was very relaxed and a great overview of their first 25 years. Haven't seen it since it aired but remember thinking it was a very enjoyable watch so I definitely plan to look it up on Netflix for another viewing.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 18, 2017 23:05

25x5 Better...

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 19, 2017 02:22

Crossfire Hurricane was not for the hardcore fans, but made for the casual fan who wondered what this band was all about.

I find it very very good that Crossfire Hurricane are now on Netflix.
It can ONLY benefit the band, as music documentaries are a great way of exposing bands. It's a great way for newcomers to be introduced to something they want to know more about.

The Stones and ABKCO couldn't resist bringing in audio outtakes to the table for the film. I would gladly have accepted a soundtrack release. It was around this time that Don Was expressed interest in doing a deluxe edition of Beggars Banquet, so maybe some groundwork was laid during the making of this film? Hearing the outtake of Salt Of The Earth in the film, made me jump out of my chair!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 19, 2017 03:11

RollingFreak
Thought it was great, but in fairness I've never seen 25X5 and I've heard its very similar.
Ironically, 25X5 covers more ground -- up to 1989. The archive footage is more interesting too -- more rare period interviews and performance footage, like the 1981 blues jam with Muddy Waters and company in Chicago in 1981. Also, memories of band members were fresher regarding the old days.

With Crossfire Hurricane, the band pretty much concedes that nothing ever really happened after 1981. By then they grew up and became accepted by the establishment as entertainers, and nothing more, certainly nothing dangerous let alone groundbreaking.

After the 1981-1982 tour, they could have just retired and it wouldn't have made a difference in terms of musical or cultural relevance, or they could just do as they've done -- playing the same 1965-1981 set list for the next 40-odd years.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 19, 2017 04:30

All I have on my Amazon prime is "The Rolling Stones - Rock of Ages"... which is like the other flip of the coin to Crossfire Hurricane, and extend to 2008. No Stones music featured though...
Also on youtube: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 19, 2017 12:35

kowalski

No Stones music featured though...

Like the 5-DVD-Documentary: The Rolling Stones - Just for the Record from 2003 ....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2017 15:29

stonehearted
RollingFreak
Thought it was great, but in fairness I've never seen 25X5 and I've heard its very similar.
Ironically, 25X5 covers more ground -- up to 1989. The archive footage is more interesting too -- more rare period interviews and performance footage, like the 1981 blues jam with Muddy Waters and company in Chicago in 1981. Also, memories of band members were fresher regarding the old days.

With Crossfire Hurricane, the band pretty much concedes that nothing ever really happened after 1981. By then they grew up and became accepted by the establishment as entertainers, and nothing more, certainly nothing dangerous let alone groundbreaking.

After the 1981-1982 tour, they could have just retired and it wouldn't have made a difference in terms of musical or cultural relevance, or they could just do as they've done -- playing the same 1965-1981 set list for the next 40-odd years.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Wait a minute - think they still would've done Don't Stop and Doom And Gloom or would there have been more than FORTY LICKS and THE SIMIAN DISASTER?

That's an interesting perspective (playing the 1964-1981 songs for 40 years) about the documentary and where it stops considering what happened after 1981 - the live album, the movie, UNDERCOVER and then... REWIND in 1984, which I've always viewed as the actual end of what most people know as The Rolling Stones. Because after REWIND it changed big time.

Date: April 20, 2017 02:06

Irix
kowalski

No Stones music featured though...

Like the 5-DVD-Documentary: The Rolling Stones - Just for the Record from 2003 ....

I can watch this too. Is it worth it?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 20, 2017 14:05

kowalski

I can watch this too. Is it worth it?

According to the Customer-reviews on [www.Amazon.com] : not really ....

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 20, 2017 14:20

If you like watching Anita Pallenberg talking...with some fake Stones-music in the background...congratulations! :-D

Date: April 21, 2017 02:22

I think I'll pass on this one. It looks like about the same as Rock of Ages, just longer... Thanks for the insights.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2017 03:53

Just For The record .....

Yeah overall its patchy but the Bridges To Babylon stuff in bonus section is well worth watching ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 28, 2017 05:37

For those who have AXS TV (only USA, I think), this documentary will be broadcasted along with Let's Spend the Night Together, on April 29.

Saturday Stack: The Rolling Stones | April 29th on AXS TV

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 28, 2017 11:57

Watched it last weekend. I enjoyed it very much. It's true that the focus is not so much on the music, and they stop more or less at when Tattoo You comes out (hey, maybe they really *should* have stopped then...), but still, there were a lot of images I hadn't seen before and I enjoyed it.
Also, even though I've seen it loads of times, it still scares and moves the s*** out of me when I see the whole Altamont debacle. Not pleasant to see, but such a document to human madness and ugliness and darkness. That one guy moving his jaw like a dog with rabies especially.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 1, 2017 16:57

I watched it. A bit different from 25X5 as I recall.

The early footage is hilarious - they were just zipping along, laughing yet sounding like a punk rock band. And then all the drugs went down and they obviously bathed in that attention.

The highlight: Keith talking about 'you want the best of Jagger/Richards, anyone else could've written anything except Midnight Rambler'.

The TATTOO YOU tour is where it ends - yet they throw footage in from AT THE MAX and what looks like the BTB tour.

And then All Down The Line from SHINE A LIGHT.

Hilarious that they don't talk about any albums so much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home