Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: "Tattoo You" What Does It Mean?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 26, 2017 17:25

GasLightStreet
EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword
Could be........

Tat to you - as in tat = shoddy = old english word meaning leftovers - shoddy clothes were inferior clothes made from the leftovers on the factory floor - although shoddy was usually used for stuffing mattresses............

As we know, Tattoo you was made from the leftovers of earlier recording sessions - although I wouldn't reckon it is inferior

Correct - 100% leftovers.

However, for you to even imply it could be inferior because of that aspect...

Yes, yes, I saw that - it's an agreement with you... as in, HELL NO!

Ahh right ok,,,,,,,It's a big imagination I know but I did imagine maybe there was a conversation something like this (before release and naming) where Mick says" "Well, we didn't have the time or energy or ideas to write a whole new album from scratch so we 'tarted up' (English expression) a load of old tat we had left from other sessions.............

so, tat to you (us)......in keeping, in tone, I thought, with Keith's explanation about Bridges to Babylon - The songs are the bridges and we (the punters) are Babylon - cheers mate - I'll buy you a pint one day too..............

And........mick's idea that he wanted to call the 5o and counting tour the "@#$%& off tour" .......until keith & Charlie persuaded him out of it...........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-27 02:16 by EddieByword.

Posted by: StonedALIVE ()
Date: March 27, 2017 01:52

Word Origin and History for tattoo Expand
n.
"signal," 1680s, "signal calling soldiers or sailors to quarters at night," earlier tap-to (1644, in order of Col. Hutchinson to garrison of Nottingham), from Dutch taptoe, from tap "faucet of a cask" (see tap (n.1)) + toe "shut." So called because police used to visit taverns in the evening to shut off the taps of casks. Transferred sense of "drumbeat" is recorded from 1755. Hence, Devil's tattoo "action of idly drumming fingers in irritation or impatience" (1803).

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 27, 2017 12:50

StonedALIVE
n.
"signal," 1680s, "signal calling soldiers or sailors to quarters at night," earlier tap-to (1644, in order of Col. Hutchinson to garrison of Nottingham), from Dutch taptoe, from tap "faucet of a cask" (see tap (n.1)) + toe "shut." So called because police used to visit taverns in the evening to shut off the taps of casks. Transferred sense of "drumbeat" is recorded from 1755. Hence, Devil's tattoo "action of idly drumming fingers in irritation or impatience" (1803).

The word tattoo, or tattow in the 18th century, is a loanword from the Polynesian word tatau, meaning "to write". The Oxford English Dictionary gives the etymology of tattoo as "In 18th c. tattaow, tattow. From Polynesian (Samoan, Tahitian, Tongan, etc.) tatau. In Marquesan, tatu." Before the importation of the Polynesian word, the practice of tattooing had been described in the West as painting, scarring, or staining.

This is not to be confused with the origins of the word for the military drumbeat or performance — see military tattoo. In this case, the English word tattoo is derived from the Dutch word taptoe

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-27 12:54 by Deltics.

Posted by: StonedALIVE ()
Date: March 27, 2017 16:07

Hence, Devil's tattoo "action of idly drumming fingers in irritation or impatience" (1803).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 27, 2017 16:17

TATTOO YOU means... whatever you want it to mean. "I'm gonna tattoo you with my knife" or whatever.

Aside from any of that, it's a great LP title. That's all it is, really.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 27, 2017 18:00

Does it have to mean anything? They were probably tossing some phrases around and it came up accidently.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 27, 2017 19:23

Deltics
StonedALIVE
n.

The word tattoo, or tattow in the 18th century, is a loanword from the Polynesian word tatau, meaning "to write". The Oxford English Dictionary gives the etymology of tattoo as "In 18th c. tattaow, tattow. From Polynesian (Samoan, Tahitian, Tongan, etc.) tatau. In Marquesan, tatu." Before the importation of the Polynesian word, the practice of tattooing had been described in the West as painting, scarring, or staining.

This is not to be confused with the origins of the word for the military drumbeat or performance — see military tattoo. In this case, the English word tattoo is derived from the Dutch word taptoe

And from the Oxford dictionary:

noun

1An evening drum or bugle signal recalling soldiers to their quarters.
‘a military tattoo takes place with clockwork precision’

1.1British An entertainment consisting of music, marching, and the performance of displays and exercises by military personnel.
‘a visit to Edinburgh during the Festival includes a visit to the Tattoo’
‘a crash involving two Russian jet fighters at the International Air Tattoo’

1.2 A rhythmic tapping or drumming.
‘she tapped her fingers in a nervous tattoo’

Origin

Mid 17th century (originally as tap-too) from Dutch taptoe!, literally ‘close the tap (of the cask)!’.
_________________________________________________________________________________

AND:

tattoo2
verb

1Mark (a part of the body) with an indelible design by inserting pigment into punctures in the skin.
‘his cheek was tattooed with a winged fist’

1.1 Make (an indelible design) on a part of the body by inserting pigment into punctures in the skin.
‘he has a heart tattooed on his left hand’

noun

A design made by tattooing.
‘they were muscle-bound men covered in scars and tattoos’

Origin

Mid 18th century: from Tahitian, Tongan, and Samoan ta-tau or Marquesan ta-tu.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-27 19:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 27, 2017 23:50

Well, I took a special interest in this thread as I have the Tattoo You design and words tattooed on m forearm..it was done in 1980 and so now it very faded but still there nonetheless. I'd always presumed it to be a similar phrasing to something like '@#$%& you' a kind of insult but given an arty angle.

I like the whole discussion about a hidden femme fatale's name hidden in the artwork. Of course I'd never heard of this and now looking at below Jagger's ear on the cover I see it....but is that because I'm looking for a name in a series of zig-zags or because it is indeed ...there?

I rather hope it is there and that this is all accurate information..... it opens up a whole new area of Stones based musings....we could talk for years about Let It Bleed and Exile....

For what it's worth and that;s not a lot...I see Hannah, and several other names but I also see just a nice series of angles.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: March 28, 2017 01:00

Redhotcarpet guessed it correctly. Lynn Tu also known as "Touch"

The angle of "y" forms an arrow pointing to target earring.

She is doing her best right now to urge them into a studio.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 28, 2017 04:11

It's like F- you ... except it's pronounced "Tattoo You"

........... "Tattoo you"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-28 17:49 by schillid.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 28, 2017 09:34

GasLightStreet
lem motlow
sorry,i was gonna let it continue for awhile before i told anybody but i figured it was gonna end up with a picture of a barefoot keith and speculation that he hadn't really survived the coconut tree incident.

You do understand it was a banana palm, right?

sorry gaslight,i went a little deep with that one.you'll have to look up paul on the abbey road cover and the barefoot reference.

and stonehearted-calm down bro i was just making a joke..

trust me the reason for the title is the one i gave which is why mick changed it from tattoo to "tattoo you" THE ROLLING STONES TATTOO YOU.it's an old saying and there was a boxing announcer around that time who used it alot,damn if i can remember his name.

Date: March 28, 2017 10:46

crumbling_mice
Well, I took a special interest in this thread as I have the Tattoo You design and words tattooed on m forearm..it was done in 1980 and so now it very faded but still there nonetheless. I'd always presumed it to be a similar phrasing to something like '@#$%& you' a kind of insult but given an arty angle.

I like the whole discussion about a hidden femme fatale's name hidden in the artwork. Of course I'd never heard of this and now looking at below Jagger's ear on the cover I see it....but is that because I'm looking for a name in a series of zig-zags or because it is indeed ...there?

I rather hope it is there and that this is all accurate information..... it opens up a whole new area of Stones based musings....we could talk for years about Let It Bleed and Exile....

For what it's worth and that;s not a lot...I see Hannah, and several other names but I also see just a nice series of angles.

Not bad...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 28, 2017 10:47

schillid
NINA ?

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 28, 2017 18:16

lem motlow
GasLightStreet
lem motlow
sorry,i was gonna let it continue for awhile before i told anybody but i figured it was gonna end up with a picture of a barefoot keith and speculation that he hadn't really survived the coconut tree incident.

You do understand it was a banana palm, right?

sorry gaslight,i went a little deep with that one.you'll have to look up paul on the abbey road cover and the barefoot reference.

I was joking along with you, seeing that it wasn't a coconut tree (I love how it's "the coconut tree incident") and there's no such thing as a banana palm!

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: March 28, 2017 18:48

could have been worse title, considering Mick's taste in art back then..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lF5sPDvfM
cover could have been slightly different too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-28 18:51 by TDive25.

Date: March 28, 2017 21:00

Thank You >> TY >> Tattoo You
A play on "Thank You" ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-28 21:21 by schillid.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 28, 2017 22:41

or..............could be.............Tattoo you, "put our mark on you"........

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 29, 2017 01:22

It was actually a reference to Herve Villechaize. The race car on STILL LIFE is the name Ricardo written in cursive and stretched to resemble a car. The fact that race car is spelt the same way forwards as backwards helped me figure it out. I think the surname Montalban might be hidden in the phallic 70s on the previous record. Of course, the real clue to Tattoo from FANTASY ISLAND is found in "Send It To Me" when Mick refers to him as an alien.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 29, 2017 01:27

Rocky Dijon
It was actually a reference to Herve Villechaize. The race car on STILL LIFE is the name Ricardo written in cursive and stretched to resemble a car. The fact that race car is spelt the same way forwards as backwards helped me figure it out. I think the surname Montalban might be hidden in the phallic 70s on the previous record. Of course, the real clue to Tattoo from FANTASY ISLAND is found in "Send It To Me" when Mick refers to him as an alien.
Yup...
And Jaggers love of fine Corinthian leather pretty much guarantees this is what is is all about.

Date: March 29, 2017 01:29

Date: March 29, 2017 07:07

Man, Hank, I remember those commercials with Ricardo forcing himself to change the accent on Cordoba to suit the manufacturer.

Date: March 29, 2017 09:38

Rocky Dijon
Man, Hank, I remember those commercials with Ricardo forcing himself to change the accent on Cordoba to suit the manufacturer.
grinning smiley

KAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: March 29, 2017 10:22

Put "Still Life" next to the back of "Tattoo You". The same point of the "y" is aimed at a round target on both covers. The red guitar is "I'. "Love" is in blue curly writing on the bottom and her name is in pink and red.

Date: March 29, 2017 17:59

Oh I know you're on to something real, Chatoyancy. There's no denying that, I just like having a fun with the conspiracy angle.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 29, 2017 18:03

chatoyancy
Put "Still Life" next to the back of "Tattoo You". The same point of the "y" is aimed at a round target on both covers. The red guitar is "I'. "Love" is in blue curly writing on the bottom and her name is in pink and red.

Oh, FFS. I can't wait to hear what happens when played backwards. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 29, 2017 18:10

chatoyancy

How does that mean "Paul Is Dead"?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 29, 2017 22:00

Go back and read Chatoyancy's posts on this site. From the meaning of "999" to references to "Touch" in "Start Me Up" and "Heaven" (and presumably "Losing My Touch") she's brimming with stories that sound unbelievable but always have a grain of truth somewhere. I'm waiting to find out about the McLean sisters who sang on "Neighbours." Chatoyance may choose to speak in code and she might be having a blast dropping clues and misinfo, but she's great fun all the same and some of it checks out even if she sees meaning where the rest of us don't.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 29, 2017 23:14

Ooooh-kay, I found/unpacked my vinyl album 'Tattoo You' today.
I see nothing, absolutely nothing that resembles a hidden name,
but what I do have is a RS signed album! Makes me giddy to think it's real and you know what's even funnier? I think it is! Hahaaa ha (wicked laugh)
It'd be so poetic.
Cheers mates smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2017 23:19

Does chatoyancy know the lyrics to You Should Have Seen Her Ass ??? ...
Always wanted to know ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2017 01:49

It does not mean what you think

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home