Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Stewart: She wont dance with me - based on Stones songs
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 22, 2017 06:03

Keefriffhard4life,

I agree...Paul Stanley was a fluke with IWMFLY...just like when he tried
to write a Rod Stewart song and totally nailed "Hard Luck Woman".

Not so sure Rod Stewart's DYTIAS wasn't crafted for the market?

Nevertheless, Rod Stewart had a huge hit with it..and so be it.

Pecman

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2017 06:08

When I think of 'spoof', I think of something like 'Disco Duck' or 'Born in East L.A.' or something from Weird Al Yankovic. I don't remember anyone thinking or knowing Rod's disco was a 'spoof' when it was first released and all over the radio, and that's probably why it didn't sit well with many fans of his previous work at the time. Rod was rubbing shoulders with the worst of the disco era with this tune, and lost some credibility in the process. Ironic that he had a big hit with his cheesy disco tune whether it was a 'spoof' or not, it sullied his reputation amongst many rock fans.

Date: March 22, 2017 06:33

Hairball
When I think of 'spoof', I think of something like 'Disco Duck' or 'Born in East L.A.' or something from Weird Al Yankovic. I don't remember anyone thinking or knowing Rod's disco was a 'spoof' when it was first released and all over the radio, and that's probably why it didn't sit well with many fans of his previous work at the time. Rod was rubbing shoulders with the worst of the disco era with this tune, and lost some credibility in the process. Ironic that he had a big hit with his cheesy disco tune whether it was a 'spoof' or not, it sullied his reputation amongst many rock fans.

the part that sounds uber disco though is the music which as far as I know is written by carmine appice and duane hitchings. rod wrote the melody to the chorus and sampled the synth line from someone else. other than that the other 2 guys wrote the music

Carmine Appice, who played drums on this song told Songfacts: "This was a story of a guy meeting a chick in a club. At that time, that was a cool saying. If you listen to the lyrics, 'She sits alone, waiting for suggestions, he's so nervous...' it's the feelings of what was going on in a dance club. The guy sees a chick he digs, she's nervous and he's nervous and she's alone and doesn't know what's going on, then they end up at his place having sex, and then she's gone."[6] In a 2007 interview, co-writer Duane Hitchings noted that "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" was a spoof on guys from the 'cocaine lounge lizards' of the Saturday Night Fever days. We Rock and Roll guys thought we were dead meat when that movie and the Bee Gees came out. The Bee Gees were brilliant musicians and really nice people. No big egos. Rod, in his brilliance, decided to do a spoof on disco. VERY smart man. There is no such thing as a "dumb" super success in the music business.[7]

It has been noted that Stewart created parts of the song through musical plagiarism. A copyright infringement lawsuit by Brazilian musician Jorge Ben Jor claimed the chorus of the song had been derived from his song "Taj Mahal". The case was "settled amicably" according to Jorge Ben Jor, in Ben Jor's favor.[8] Stewart admitted in his 2012 autobiography to "unconscious plagiarism" of the Ben Jor song, which he had heard while attending the Rio Carnival in 1978.[2] He also admitted that he had consciously lifted the song's signature synthesizer riff from the string arrangement on Bobby Womack's "(If You Want My Love) Put Something Down On It". Stewart contends that it is legal to lift a line from any song's arrangement as long as the core melody line isn't copied

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2017 07:07

I also read bits of that on wiki, but generally speaking nobody knew the backstory of all this when it was released as a new song under his name in 1978. The only thing most of us knew was that it was Rod Stewart, it was bad disco, and it was super cheesy. That being said, it's not a horrible song and I don't hate it, but it's definitely not something that was easy to appreciate back in the day, and it's not something I would rank up there anywhere near his best.

Date: March 22, 2017 11:15

Hairball
I also read bits of that on wiki, but generally speaking nobody knew the backstory of all this when it was released as a new song under his name in 1978. The only thing most of us knew was that it was Rod Stewart, it was bad disco, and it was super cheesy. That being said, it's not a horrible song and I don't hate it, but it's definitely not something that was easy to appreciate back in the day, and it's not something I would rank up there anywhere near his best.

I'm thinking no one would rank it within his best 50 songs unless you love dance tunes or disco

Date: March 22, 2017 11:24

wonder how many more years until rod hangs it up? I know he wants to do an album of classic country tunes. just what he considers classic country who knows.

I was always very impressed with rods choice of covers prior to 2000. he would pick some songs from well known artists that were in his age range. some Motown/soul tunes and some obscure covers. just off the top of my head I really enjoy these covers he did
street fighting man
it's all over now
country comforts
I know I'm losing you
reason to believe
angel
I'd rather go blind
twistin the night away
sweet little rock n roller
I don't want to talk about it
the first cut is the deepest
wild side of life
downtown train
this old heart of mine
you are everything
grooms still waiting at the altar
shotgun wedding
leave Virginia alone
hotel chambermaid
cigarettes and alcohol

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 22, 2017 12:08

The Stones on occasion have come dangerously close to parodying themselves... but have just about got away with it.

Shall we just say that Rod hasn't always been so lucky. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 12:09 by Spud.

Date: March 22, 2017 12:16

Spud
The Stones on occasion have come dangerously close to parodying themselves... but have just about got away with it.

Ha ha, agreed – although Rod is good at not taking himself too seriously as well grinning smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 22, 2017 12:55

DYTI Sexy is a total rip off of Bobby Womack:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Just listen to this mastery!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 22, 2017 13:07

DandelionPowderman
Spud

Ha ha, agreed – although Rod is good at not taking himself too seriously as well grinning smiley

Yeah..to be fair he does just treat it all as fun and a big laugh.
Can't knock him for that.

Just wish he'd done a bit more Memphis style Soul over the years...'cos that's where his real talent lies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 13:57 by Spud.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 22, 2017 13:54

well everything's in place. I usually love straight ahead rockers like this. No meandering about arrangement wise just goes for the throat from the first bar to the last. and I think Rod's got a particuary unique and distinct voice for a lof of songs, especially these rockin' groovers. So I'm not exactly sure why it didn't move me; why it sort of sucked and seemed like artifice....that fat ass in those jump suits is not a pleasant thing to have to have thrwon in one's face either. so the answer to do i think he's sexy is no i do not.

i kind of really want to like it. I consider Jeff Beck Group "Truth" and "Beck Ola" two of the most important and original and satisying rock records EVER. I also am a huge huge fan of Face's Long PLayer and A Nod Is As Good AS A Wink..and some of those early solo albums are like heaven to me; so much good spirit. Even on Atlantic Crossaing when a lot of original fans had left him behind, I found reallyh\
really uniquely beautiful singing. I Don't Want To Talk About It for example...just lovely stuff; top flight stuff; eh deserved ever bit of notoriety and fame. so why this sicuck so much to me is a mystery.

Mayhve it's thje by tore sideman looking like their accountangs or someting I don't kow...it's all there and all that; yet it moves me not one bit. I was relieved to just stop it. If he's gonna take on a Stones song he should take one on. I'm sure he'd have a coo interpretation. Mostly I think in secret he probably still blames them for stealing Wood.
He knew the excellent dynamics and values of that partnership and it had taken them both into the strasophere.........live and on record.

He's given a lot of compelling shows and cetainly has a unique sound but somewhere along the way....maybe the disco stuff maybe not; but somewhere alongthe way, for all the heat and hysterics, I find him awkward funny (not in a ood way) and just kind of full of it....wow ithurts to write stuff like that about someone i had sooo much respect for album after album. I saw Faces live and it gave EVERYBODY IN SHOW BUSINESS a real distinct charge and a lot of respect. I think somehow he turned into an irrelevant kind of charater...even this mega hot old oldie leaves me just cold surrounded by a lot of sort of accurate sounding cliche noise...hardto figger with Rod theselast many years....he does besst those shows swhere Wood guested imo.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 22, 2017 14:11

mandu
what do you think of

Tora Tora Tora (out with the boys)

I was just going to say, Tora Tora Tora is another along the same lines as She Won't Dance With Me.

Date: March 22, 2017 14:56

peoplewitheyes
DYTI Sexy is a total rip off of Bobby Womack:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Just listen to this mastery!

this was already mentioned several posts up by me

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 22, 2017 15:59

"Better Off Dead" sounds like "Rip This Joint"

"Jealous" is "Miss You"'s younger brother.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home