Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brussels Keiths gear
Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: March 19, 2017 04:40

Good evening. Sure this must have been discusses a thousand times but I'm afraid my search revealed nothing about what I want to know.
For Brussels Keith was still running thru the Ampeg SVT's I'm pretty certain about that but I am curious if he had by then basically ditched the Les Paul and Armstrong and taken up with his Telecasters.
Would appreciate knowing.
Thank you BP

Re: Brussels Keiths gear
Date: March 19, 2017 06:23

I think he used the TV yellow L.P. Junior for the standard tuning songs; i.e. Shelter, Rambler, (I think) the GHS songs. They had dropped "Bitch" by then.
Telecaster and the Ted Newman Jones.
I tell you where you can go to check for sure is the Ratbag Boogie Thread by withsssoul.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 19, 2017 12:59

Those Ted Newman Jones guitars were most evident in '73.
And Keith never really "ditched" Gibsons.
The heavy Telecaster tours were '81-'82,
But yeah: Check out the Ratbag Boogie Index: [iorr.org]

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: March 19, 2017 14:38

Did he use any pedals during this time-period?

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: March 19, 2017 14:39

Also remember Keith's sound on Brussels was tweaked to sound more dirty and distorted in the mixing process for the broadcast.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 22, 2017 14:02

Line up

Brown Sugar: Ted Newman Jones 5-string
Gimme Shelter: Red LP Junior
Happy; Telecaster (Micawber)
Tumbling Dice: Telecaster
Star Star: Junior
Dancing with Mr. D: Junior
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker): Junior
Angie: Junior
You Can't Always Get What You Want: Telecaster
Midnight Rambler: '55 Les Paul Custom
Honky Tonk Women: Ted Newman Jones
All Down the Line: Ted Newman Jones
Rip This Joint: Telecaster
Jumping Jack Flash: Telecaster
Street Fighting Man: Telecaster

Amps: Ampeg SVT, no effect pedals.

Mathijs

Date: March 25, 2017 19:44

Thank you very much Mathijs !!

Date: March 25, 2017 19:48

Mathijs
You wouldn't have the same guitar line up for GYYYO '69 at MSG would you?
BP

Date: April 16, 2017 00:11

Bump

Date: July 13, 2017 16:35

banditpanda
Mathijs
BP

That's a bit more difficult due to lack of footage. He used the LP Custom for open G, except for HTW where he used the Bigsby burst. For all other tracks he alternated between the Ampeg Dan Armstrong and the Gibson ES-355. On GYYO he played the Dan Armstrong on Midnight Rambler, Sympathy and Live with Me, and the 355 on Carol and Queenie.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 13, 2017 19:58

Mathijs
banditpanda
Mathijs
BP

That's a bit more difficult due to lack of footage. He used the LP Custom for open G, except for HTW where he used the Bigsby burst. For all other tracks he alternated between the Ampeg Dan Armstrong and the Gibson ES-355. On GYYO he played the Dan Armstrong on Midnight Rambler, Sympathy and Live with Me, and the 355 on Carol and Queenie.

Mathijs
Mathijs , can you please tell me if the Bigsby Burst was the one and the same that Keith had Stu sell to Mick Taylor before Mick Taylor joined the Stones in 1969 ?

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 13, 2017 20:58

I think Keith must have mixed it up a bit on the 69 tour. For example, in the Gimme Shelter movie he uses the Dan Armstrong on Satisfaction but on the version on DVD that came with The deluxe GYYYO he uses a 335 (or 355) in Satisfaction.... so the truth is we don't really know. He used the Dan Armstrong for JJF on the 1970 tour so it is possible that he used it for open tuning in 69 as well....

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 13, 2017 23:13

I don't understand what's being discussed in this thread at all but I find it oddly comforting that this level of guitar otaku geekiness exists.

Date: July 13, 2017 23:18

Neither do I, but I do know that Taylor also used a wahwah pedal during Brussels. Heartbreaker is a nice example.

Date: July 14, 2017 12:12

TheflyingDutchman
Neither do I, but I do know that Taylor also used a wahwah pedal during Brussels. Heartbreaker is a nice example.

What is interesting with Taylor's sound is that he seemed to have that typical restless lead guitarist syndrome, where he is always fooling around, never really satisfied. Some listeners love this, others it drives crazy.
He tries out Wah's, and not necessarly on the same songs; he messes around with the PU switch on some nights; some Slide songs get the slide, some nights not. And he really never plays the same thing twice.

Date: July 14, 2017 17:10

Never a dull moment with him, for better or worse.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 14, 2017 17:34

TheGreek
Mathijs , can you please tell me if the Bigsby Burst was the one and the same that Keith had Stu sell to Mick Taylor before Mick Taylor joined the Stones in 1969 ?

Yes.

You might like to buy the Stones Gear book. thumbs up

Date: July 14, 2017 21:53

His Majesty
TheGreek

Yes.

You might like to buy the Stones Gear book. thumbs up
Thanks for the reply and yes I do own the book which is really nice .

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: July 15, 2017 16:36

is the stones gear book accurate? have read some reviews that it was not entirely correct.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 15, 2017 16:46

Is there anything anywhere correct afterall? Even Mick or Keith have sometimes problems knowing or remembering thing as they where.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 15, 2017 16:46

That goes not for Bill Wyman though.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 15, 2017 19:59

microvibe
is the stones gear book accurate? have read some reviews that it was not entirely correct.

Some inaccuracies, but it's mostly spot on and very informative. thumbs up

Date: July 16, 2017 12:15

His Majesty
microvibe

Mmm....personally I feel that there's quite some mistakes that could have been avoided, especially on the 1969 - 1976 period. Also, there are quite some Stones guitars in the hands of collectors they could have pictured and examined, like the Hyde Park Flying V, Keiths second LP Custom, two of Brian's Firebirds and Keith's ES-330.

Biggest gripe is that they took a lot of info from this board, and printed it as their own finds.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-17 11:39 by Mathijs.

Date: July 17, 2017 13:01

Mathijs
His Majesty
microvibe

Mmm....personally I feel that there's quite some mistakes that could have been avoided, especially on the 1969 - 1976 period. Also, there are quite some Stones guitars in the hands of collectors they could have pictured and examined, like the Hyde Park Flying V, Keiths second LP Custom, two of Brian's Firebirds and Keith's ES-330.

Biggest gripe is that they took a lot of info from this board, and printed it as their own finds.

Mathijs
That blows my mind .How do we know this fact ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home