Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: RIP Chuck Berry
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 20, 2017 13:15

HankM
Keith already did it right... and he did it while Chuck was alive.
Hail Hail Rock and Roll was a pretty cool thing.

The Stones don't do tributes, talk politics or preach (thank goodness)... they entertain

No truer thing said, and I love them for it. They basically just do what a rock n' roll band does, play bloody rock n' roll. They keep away from politics, they keep away from 'causes', they just get on with it ! As you so rightly say ... thank goodness ! thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 20, 2017 13:48

From National Review. Rock N Roll is "Too organic and chaotic to be attributed to any one creator, but if anyone deserves pride of place as it's founding father ,it's Chuck Berry, who died at Saturday at 90, writes Dan McLaughlin at National Review. "He was rock's first guitar great", a complete package who wrote and sang his own songs , supported them with guitar theatrics and had his own music, mesmerizing stage presence complete with his signature duck walk". Plus he wrote "Johnny B. Goode". arguably "Rocks greatest single song. It's one of the first rock songs to do two things , let alone combine them - tell a story and feature a guitar solo...It's also a song about rock , and the possibilities it offers , even to a barely literate African -American teen in the age of Jim Crow".

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 20, 2017 16:21

Burned into our hearts and minds forever. These classic songs and his brilliant guitar
work. Saw the man only once in my life, in Amsterdam, but the memory will live on forever.

CBII, I wish you and your family strength during these days. Keep in mind that your
old man meant so much to so many people, all over the world. He will never be forgotten.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 20, 2017 18:58

Chuck Berry. Without him there might have been no Rolling Stones. If there was they probably would have sounded very different. No doubt that Keith's early guitar style owes multitudes of thanks to Mr. Berry. Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is practically an encyclopedia of Berry licks! God bless, Chuck. You passed it on...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 20, 2017 19:47

Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry LIVE
Berry attacks France...and wins.
I'd say he's about 100% in this clip.
none of those people ever saw anything like this
and he completely just takes it over with supreme confidence and ability.
like wow.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 20, 2017 20:22

hopkins
like wow.
[www.youtube.com]

Saw that and a few other clips from the same show over the weekend. Although I'd have to agree with your statement that "none of those people ever saw anything like this" as it pertains to the audience, THE BAND is a totally different story all together. Those guys knew what they were doing. They felt it, they heard it and they NAILED it. Assuming that they were local session players, my hat's off to them as they got it right in France in 1958!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 20, 2017 21:32

mr_dja
hopkins
like wow.
[www.youtube.com]

Saw that and a few other clips from the same show over the weekend. Although I'd have to agree with your statement that "none of those people ever saw anything like this" as it pertains to the audience, THE BAND is a totally different story all together. Those guys knew what they were doing. They felt it, they heard it and they NAILED it. Assuming that they were local session players, my hat's off to them as they got it right in France in 1958!

Peace,
Mr DJA

yes good point thank you. I think it fair to say Paris was a particular hotbed for all kinds of wild jazz and the greatest of players ala Armstrong and others during that period and for years prior to this. Cats who would really be true instinctive players but also trained and very skilled. I hadn't considered that but yes, the band is right with him and setting him free to do that! viva la france

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 20, 2017 21:39

paulywaul
HankM

The Stones don't do tributes, talk politics or preach (thank goodness)... they entertain

No truer thing said, and I love them for it. They basically just do what a rock n' roll band does, play bloody rock n' roll. They keep away from politics, they keep away from 'causes', they just get on with it ! As you so rightly say ... thank goodness ! thumbs up

I third this pauly! thank goodness indeed!
Thirded!... and the motion is passed!

STONES!!! itsonlyrockandrollthankgoodness!!!

Chuck Berry ain't dead... Chuck will live forever and ever and ever...

And now...
it is time for Tulane by Chuck Berry on 8-Track tape!!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 20, 2017 22:24

paulywaul
HankM

Sweet Neocon, Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man, Little Black Angel are 4 political statements i can think of off the top of my head. There are more.

Date: March 20, 2017 22:57

Rip This
paulywaul
HankM

Sweet Neocon, Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man, Little Black Angel are 4 political statements i can think of off the top of my head. There are more.

Undercover of the Night
Highwire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 22:59 by hopkins.

Date: March 20, 2017 23:25

There is a difference between some embedded songs lyrics and overt BS blabbed from the stage...
The Stones leave that type of shitalk to bono springsteen type of stage/pulpit nutters... thank goodness

Date: March 20, 2017 23:51

Yeh with you there; i don't wanna hear no speeches; if u can put something in a song fair game and all praises for pulling whatever off; but i'm like you about this. i do not want, and can not stand; these various celeb pitches about ANYTHING....
i mean if it's a benefit and they wanna encourage peeps to a charity or something i'm not gonna sound off like i know more than they do or have a right to complain but yeh i don't wanna hear any sloganeering or bullshit politicizing from stage...
i think you can make a much better point about whatever it is an artist is feeling or feels compelled to share by just doing a bang up job on a bang up song. Like Highwire says it all if they play it at the right time in the right circumstances. they don't have to make a speech about the military industrial complex and which party wants what war at any given moment; or whatever....i'm a pretty socially concious person but still don't want to hear a music or movie star give a stupid speech and most of them are really really really stupid. even ones i sort of agree with. it's their right and all that. but i can tell u that when bono starts that shit it pretty much ruined me even wanting to go near anything they were babbling on a record or at a live show. if that's my loss I'll wear it with satisfaction.

I really have always loved Bruce; and probably am aligned with a lot of the issues he seems to care about but he has totally turned me off with latest non stop mouthings and posturings....i mean i'm not gonna look at him exactly the same anymore because of just this. some movie stars too. stfu. they are supporting people with veins in their teeth trying to get people off supoprting people with veins in their teeth; how about a big circle where we can all hold hands and shout stfu. that would be a nice moment.

I love the MC5; I'm not afraid of music getting political or edgy. This is partly why Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane and others, including The Stones and Beatles were really important to me in a way, back then Viet Nam and segregation days....but...they were singing it...and with some great songs....and in Morrison's case, some vivid early anti war videos prettyh much way ahead of the curve....
i like the folk music protest thing and all the political social conciousness of trying to stop (unsuccessfully) a war. war is over if u want it and all thatl. the songs were great. john and yoko were starting to sound like really naieve college kids who had taken a poli sci class and were teenagers; it wasn't helping i don't think. And it did sort of get him locked up locked down; almost deported year on end; kept him away form his step daughter; and maybve even killed him when all the final dust settles....
i admire the hell out of Phil Ochs. but it's the songs; it's thje songs. i have a lot of his records and shows and he never stops talking about current events and his flash on things, but it's not a speech; it's clever challenging funny songs; and makes a bigger impact, at least on me....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 00:00 by hopkins.

Date: March 21, 2017 00:00

^ perfecto smileys with beer

Some actors are the worst blabbermouths.
It has always been a mystery to me why anyone would allow an actor/celeb (someone who is paid to read other peoples words for a living, reading scripts is their job) to influence anyones opinion on anything... from what beer to drink, what credit card to use, what car to buy and especially who to vote for in politics.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 00:03 by HankM.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: March 21, 2017 00:21

Thanks for everything. One of rock'n roll biggest pioners. God bless

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 21, 2017 00:27

HankM
^ perfecto smileys with beer

Some actors are the worst blabbermouths.
It has always been a mystery to me why anyone would allow an actor/celeb (someone who is paid to read other peoples words for a living, reading scripts is their job) to influence anyones opinion on anything... from what beer to drink, what credit card to use, what car to buy and especially who to vote for in politics.
How dare private citizens unforgivably exercise the right to speak their mind.

That's as anti-American as it gets, after all, and it's definitely NOT codified anywhere in our laws.

Expressing opinions = high treason

Date: March 21, 2017 00:31

Thanks for the Great Music Chuck Berry.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 21, 2017 01:46

Chuck Berry with his son CBII...................

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 21, 2017 12:42

There does not seem to be a lot of coverage of Chuck's death in the media. Maybe I just missed it. the man deserves Elvis type coverage!

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: March 21, 2017 13:48

slew
There does not seem to be a lot of coverage of Chuck's death in the media. Maybe I just missed it. the man deserves Elvis type coverage!

No, he doesn't. Maybe for his musical achievements, yes. But on the other hand...

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 21, 2017 14:49

Papo
slew

No, he doesn't. Maybe for his musical achievements, yes. But on the other hand...

now now...let's not speak ill about the dead

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 21, 2017 15:19

Date: March 21, 2017 15:45

Date: March 21, 2017 17:25

[www.youtube.com]
Almost Grown (Live 1963 Detroit)

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 21, 2017 17:34

slew

I don't know where you reside, but Over here in Europe - at least: speaking for Belgium & Holland - there's a fair amount of media coverage.

Papo

Yes, he does.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 21, 2017 18:09

Date: March 21, 2017 19:06

HankM
Sometimes the media ignores the passing of great people and it is sad,
so it is proper to see that the MSM is giving the passing of the Great Chuck Berry proper attention.

Chuck deserves it. He helped change the world for the better. Thank you Chuck!

Condolences to CBII.
No words can help... only time can make it not hurt as much.

Date: March 21, 2017 19:13

duke richardson
[www.salon.com]
That is a good articlethumbs up

I love this quote, my favorite from the movie- "Berry in his garage, displaying several Cadillacs under plastic and noting that because he couldn’t get the price he wanted for them, he’s saving them, “And in 20 years, I’ll sell them to you for $50,000.”

I loved it and laughed out loud how true it was the first time I heard him say it.
I hope CBII still has those cars.. they maybellene be worth a lot more than 50K.

I guess I loved it so much cuz I have been screwed selling cars and
I wished I could just park them and keep them versus getting ripped off...
Good for Chuck!! And great for his attitude. He knew.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 19:27 by HankM.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: March 21, 2017 19:43

The last time I saw him was in 2008 in Paris.
R.I.P.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: March 22, 2017 00:10

Chuck. you will be deeply missed, remembered and admired for your talent..

nobody else perfectly blended the Rock AND the Roll...

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 22, 2017 00:41

slew

I'm not sure Elvis would have gotten that much coverage had he lived to the age of 90. I think Chuck has gotten some pretty good coverage.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home