Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: O/T : RIP Chuck Berry
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:16

Details still emerging.
[abcnews.go.com]
[www.relix.com]

RIP Chuck and thanks.
sad smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 00:19 by Deltics.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:21

Just saw the news and started another thread. Very sad, but not unexpected. He had a good long life.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:30

RIP

Don't make em like him anymore.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:50

A great American original, poet, consummate performer and groundbreaking musician- is there a rock guitarist in the last 50 years who wasn't influenced by Chuck. Thought he might live forever. God Bless Chuck Berry- raise your glass and crank up some Chuck Berry music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:54

wow...very sad news. RIP the original riff meister.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:55

RIP Chuck. If Elvis was the King, he was the Godfather.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:56

The question of who exactly invented rock and roll may never ever be conclusively decided. But few did more to shape and popularize the genre than Chuck Berry, who died Saturday in Missouri, the St. Charles County police confirmed. He was 90.

Berry’s onstage showmanship, guitar-playing, song arrangements, and lyrics were hugely influential on artists such as Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and the Beach Boys. The latters’ “Surfin’ USA” so directly copied Berry’s song “Sweet Little Sixteen” that the rock pioneer cried foul and was given a co-writing credit.

Berry scored his biggest hit in 1972 with the novelty single “My Ding-a-Ling” but it was the records he released in the ’50s with the Chicago-based Chess label for which he will be best remembered. (In the 2008 movie Cadillac Records inspired by the Chess Records story, Mos Def portrayed Berry.) These include “Maybelline,” “Roll Over Beethoven,” “Johnny B. Goode,” and “Carol,” which would be covered by the Rolling Stones early in their career.

By the late ’70s, the hits had dried up, and in 1979 Berry was found guilty of tax evasion and sentenced to four months in jail. However, he remained a revered figure by the music icons he had inspired. When Keith Richards inducted Berry into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, the Stones guitarist claimed to have “lifted every lick” that Berry ever played.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:58

Really sad-- what an original ! RIP Chuck

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:59

Very sad news.

Thank you very much for the music, Chuck. Your music changed my life.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 19, 2017 01:04

Genius

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: March 19, 2017 01:09

RIP Chuck Berry. Condolonces to everyone and specially to Charles Berry CBII, big hug from Spain amigo!!

[www.dirtyrock.info]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: March 19, 2017 01:10

I was fortunate enough to see him at Alexandra Palace in July 1979 - paying off his tax bill I think...
A great set and lived completely up to expectations - one of the all time greats obviously...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 19, 2017 01:22

Chuck was The King in my opinion. Shit this is really bad news thought he could go more. R.I.P. Chuck Berry!!!

RIP Chuck Berry
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 19, 2017 01:30

RIP Chuck. And thank you.

Hail! Hail! Chuck Berry

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2017 01:50

Listening to Brown-eyed Handsome Man right now...fantastic.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 19, 2017 02:27

this post was about trying to merge the two cb rip posts but BV has done that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 22:39 by hopkins.

Posted by: RScollector ()
Date: March 19, 2017 03:14

RIP

Glad I saw him once in 2008 Amsterdam same show with Bill Wyman's Kings and Mick Taylor.

If there were no Chuck Berry there were no Rolling Stones.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: March 19, 2017 03:51

First...how is this thread titled O/T??
you cant get any more on topic when it comes to the Stones!!

I saw him in concert in a small club on the west side of NYC about 20 years ago; so glad i did!

Any comments from Keith yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 03:55 by HalfNanker.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 19, 2017 04:37

Rest In Peace, just me, I don't think there would have been a Stones without CB.

Stones Play Chuck Berry: [www.audiophileusa.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 19, 2017 04:40

BroomWagon
Rest In Peace, just me, I don't think there would have been a Stones without CB.

Stones Play Chuck Berry: [www.audiophileusa.com]
Certainly not a controversial opinion. It's damn-near a fact.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 19, 2017 05:15

RIP Chuck, Thanks For The Music and Your Giant Influence All Over R n R !

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: March 19, 2017 07:55

CHUCK, KEITH, ERIC & CHUCK

[youtu.be]

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 19, 2017 08:37

Thank you Chuck Berry,
you made the world I live in a lot more more fun to live in.
Thank you for rock and roll

I dont imagine your resting at all...
I imagine a place where you crossed over... and so many...
so very very many there are so happy to see you and delighted you brought your guitar with you...
and you are happy to see them, but before you play, you go into the managers Office... and then you...
ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 19, 2017 08:38

Thank you very much for what you did for us Chuck Berry,
You made the world I live in a much more fun to live in.
Thank you for rock and roll

I dont imagine you are in the mood to rest at all...
I imagine a place where you crossed over... and so many...
so very very many there are so happy to see you and delighted you brought your guitar with you...
and you are happy to see them, but before you play, you go into the managers Office... and then you...
ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 08:40 by HankM.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: March 19, 2017 09:15

Thank you Chuck for "the light"! Rip

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 19, 2017 15:51

Nice couple riffs and some clever lyrics...back to the future Chuckles

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 19, 2017 18:28

Saw him once in Amsterdam (Jaap Eden Hal) and once in St. Louis (Blueberry Hill).

Great memories.

Re: RIP Chuck Berry
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 19, 2017 20:35

Four albums, 3 years. Pretty much in most essential ways that's the whole story.
same band; johnnie on all those albums; every one; same with Willie Dixon on bass and Fred Below on drums. Fred had cut with Little Walter & Elmore James & Bo Diddley; he was no slouch among the more famous others. Johnny, as Keith first informed me w that fabulous story of him tracking Johnny down, and telling the world how that music was shaped; that Chuck was playing in piano keys; and Chuck himself in an inteview I quoted somewhere else in this thread has talked about his playing in relation to numbers representing piano keys, certain chord shapes that translated easy to the guitar for him so he could sing and rhythm rock at the same time.....
.....so Keith in that regard gave not only Johnny, and Chuck, but the world of music important insight and recognition of how that boogie actually woogied....so Keith in my estimation deserves every lick, or even whole part (Bye bye Johnny live '72) he just note for note lifted....and rocketed even more intensely thru the universe....

....so from keith actually and then I researched out from there, just to acknolege the four guys who actually made ALL that music in 3 short years starting '58....
and Johnny was such the instrumental key to so much of that; not taking one bit away from Chuck's own amazing gifts and ability to just really knock the socks off of any camera those first few years with great humor but a lot of intentional ferocity too in it's way...and w brilliant songs one after antohter; and a great engaging personality alla that stuff...he worked hard for it and at it...because i was so young at that time; like it all happened before I was 10; it was a natural part of life I don't even remember when I first heard any of it...probably more into baseball cards but i caught up quick; by 12 i def knew wattup living in nyc; i had already been to some amazing shows, including The Crystals at my older cousin's high school...but not '58...

tho the story as i keep catching up w it over the years astounds me. i still need to catch up with willie dixon is at. i think he's so steeped down in the seminal natural most revered kinda bluesmen ever. so the whole thing is amazing; it's coming from so many different places...and deep traditions; yet it's Chuck's new wrinkle chunka chunking that railroad as a backdrop for the tales to be told or the engine to keep on roaring ala Maybelline...and he's getting that from Johnny; so all hail rock and roll indeed.
now the invasion bands are hitting with his numbers left and right and he's in prison (again)...the whole thing was over. i mean not it's influence; it's grown; there's more of him around more bands and albums than you can believe...his 'oldies' are classics, new versions by the hippest of bands are always coming out...etc....
and tho he never chart topped like that again damn if he didn't write Promised Land in jail; and eventually cut it and released it mid 60's...i think it modestly made black charts only but it was powerful stuff. Elvis cut the title track and absolutely killed it; one of his hottest bands nottest sessions and he's there to even egg them on; one of those moments....elvis lived it he knew it he had to lay it down...

so there's a lot about Chuck i'm learning and re-learning and thinking about today and will do some listening to; but it's kind of always going on in my head those hits were so huge, co world changing....j be goode must be on every karoke machine in the known universe....this was the other King of Rock and Roll; there were only a precious few each with a short but eternal reign...they are all everyone of them just about gone. .
there was some rhythm rockin' hits and those few torch bearers are precious to me...i love the music 1960 to 1964 when the Beatles flew in for Sullivan and some shows...between the fifties and the invasion a lot of fluff and silliness but some really important amazing stuff too.

so expect for Promised Land and I think maybe Nadine too; no slouchers there in mid 60s after jail but he never really hit again till Ding a Ling and I don't even want to talk about a novelty record. a sick one at that.

it was those 4 mostly that it's all about:

After School Session
Released: May 1957
Label: Chess (LP-1426)
Format: mono LP

— — —
One Dozen Berrys
Released: March 1958
Label: Chess (LP-1432)

— — —
Chuck Berry Is on Top
Released: July 1959
Label: Chess (LP-1435)
Format: LP

— — —
Rockin' at the Hops
Released: July 1960
Label: Chess (LP-1448)
— — —
with New Juke Box Hits in '61 it's not anywhere near the rush imo.
by here imho he is played out as a writer. the major contribution, and it was so very totally world-wide major, was behind him as a writer and poet of great narrative style and imagination. This would take nothing, not a bit, away from the enormity of the sound, the thrust, the wonderful epic stories, like little short stories almost; just kind of a bit more than clever than pop songs of the era...and there were a spate of them right in a row pow. the tracklists on those first were amazing cross over hits black to white and everywhere else...and somehow world wide...until Promised Land which I think every bit as deserving...but by end of 60 it was pretty much done...

i don't know how he perfectly captured an entire time; spoke the language ofit so cleanly...won that impossibly fabled ring and through it into the sea no matter how many times it washed back up....don't know exactly when he got so deeply cynical in a way, but that is rock and roll; a messy thing at best.

I can sort of see him being processed through and sitting in turn talking to st. Peter getting stuff up there straightened out and assigned:

I left my home in Norfolk, Virginia
California on my mind
I straddled that Greyhound and rode him past Raleigh
And on across Caroline
We stopped at Charlotte, we by-passed Rockhill
We never was a minute late
We was ninety miles out of Atlanta by sundown
Rollin' 'cross Georgia State
We had motor trouble that turned into a struggle
Half-way across Alabam'
And that 'Hound broke down and left us all stranded
In downtown Birmingham

Right away I bought me a through train ticket
Ridin' 'cross Mississippi clean
And I was on the Midnight Flyer out of Birmingham
Smokin' into New Orleans
Somebody help me get out of Louisiana
Just help me get to Houston town
There are people there who care a little 'bout me
And they won't let the poor boy down
Sure as you're born, they bought me a silk suit
They put luggage in my hand
And I woke up high over Albuquerque
On a jet to the promised land

Workin' on a T-bone steak a la carte
Flyin' over to the Golden State
When the pilot told us in thirteen minutes
We'd be headed in the terminal gate
Swing low sweet chariot, come down easy
Taxi to the terminal zone
Cut your engines and cool your wings
And let me make it to the telephone
Los Angeles, give me Norfolk, Virginia
Tidewater four-ten-o-nine
Tell the folks back home, this is the promised land calling
And the poor boy is on the line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 20:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 19, 2017 21:25

Silver Dagger
We salute you. RRIP and safe journey to wherever your next mission takes you.

Rock & Roll in Perpetuum.
I love what you wrote, Silver Dagger. It resonates.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 19, 2017 21:38

RIP

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home