Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: RIP Chuck Berry
Date: March 19, 2017 13:53

It's only Chuck Berry but I like it........the man WAS rock and roll.
RIP

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 19, 2017 14:53

RIP Chuck..Thanx for all the great music....i'll never forget you...

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 19, 2017 15:29

Quite simply, the greatest rock n roll songwriter ever. Rest well, Chuck.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 19, 2017 15:31

How good was the great man at playing guitar??
Keith tried ..but nowhere near as good.
Im surprised Chuck is not ever mentioned among the great players.
RIP...a true pioneer!

Posted by: Screamer ()
Date: March 19, 2017 15:33

Rest in peace, father of rock 'n roll. sad smiley

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: March 19, 2017 15:39

Rip Chuck Berry, the greatest !

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 19, 2017 15:52

Now he can tell Tchaikovsky the news in person...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:08

This morning, for the first time in my life, I woke up in a world without Chuck Berry.

Yesterday morning was better.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:14

Deep down in Louisiana close to New Orleans,
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood,
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
Who never ever learned to read or write so well,
But he could play a guitar just like a ringing a bell.

Go Go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go...
Johnny B. Goode

He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack
Or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track.
Oh, the engineers would see him sitting in the shade,
Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made.
The people passing by, they would stop and say,
"Oh, my, but that little country boy could play!"

Go...go Johnny go go...

His mother told him, "Someday you will be a man,

And you will be the leader of a big old band.

Many people coming from miles around

To hear you play your music when the sun go down.

Maybe someday your name will be in lights

Saying 'Johnny B. Goode tonight'."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:18

Thank you, Chuck Berry!

Date: March 19, 2017 16:31

Without Chuck Berry the Rolling Stones, the Beatles and many others would have sounded a lot different. RIP †

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:40

One of the fathers of rock and roll. Maybe the most important one. The private citizen Berry didn't impress me that much though. But that's another matter I guess.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:42

Timeless. I showed my 12 yr old son clips of Johnny B Goode and the Duck walk this morning and he was transfixed. He recognized the coolness.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:43

It's awful when your heroes pass on and I'm as sad today as I was when Elvis and Jimi went.

As many have said, no Chuck Berry - no Rolling Stones, they owe him so much.

There are very few people who can claim to have changed the course of rock 'n' roll. I'm thinking of Elvis, Bo Diddley, Jimi, Lennon and of course Chuck Berry. They are all gone now and I'm struggling to think of any more still alive who would fit into this category. Any thoughts?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:47

The Stones comments on Chucks passing.

[www.lfpress.com]

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:11

The most frustrating thing about Chuck Berry is that, for all his brilliance, he could have been even greater! After writing all those songs in his "Golden Decade," he didn't release an album of new material after the late '70s (Bio). He supposedly has one in the works, but sadly he won't be around to enjoy whatever praises it receives.

And his live shows could have been a lot better if a properly rehearsed backing band was the norm rather than the exception. He sold himself short by traveling solo, playing in front of whatever local yahoos the promoter could wrangle, and checking his watch mid-set to see how much longer he had to play to meet his contractual obligation. If he'd had a steady band, he might have blown Elvis out of Vegas.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 17:25 by ab.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:20

RIP Mr Berry. The best poet in R & R.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:30

Eleanor Rigby
How good was the great man at playing guitar??
Keith tried ..but nowhere near as good.
Im surprised Chuck is not ever mentioned among the great players.
RIP...a true pioneer!

Oh really, I think it's in bad taste to start a potential "who's best" on a RIP thread. Let's keep it positive please. They are both great guitarists and even better song writers.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:31

RIP Chuck.
Hope you will meet John Lennon again.
The both of you will play some great Rock 'n' Roll music up there.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:34

Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis still walk this earth
Both inestimably significant

The great Dion Dimucci still very active and in superb voice
Some very few others as well perhaps

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:34

Thank you for everything you gave the world.
Thank you for everything you gave to me.
RIP

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:36

ab
The most frustrating thing about Chuck Berry is that, for all his brilliance, he could have been even greater! After writing all those songs in his "Golden Decade," he didn't release an album of new material after the late '70s (Bio). He supposedly has one in the works, but sadly he won't be around to enjoy whatever praises it receives.

And his live shows could have been a lot better if a properly rehearsed backing band was the norm rather than the exception. He sold himself short by traveling solo, playing in front of whatever local yahoos the promoter could wrangle, and checking his watch mid-set to see how much longer he had to play to meet his contractual obligation. If he'd had a steady band, he might have blown Elvis out of Vegas.

It may have been frustrating for the outside world, but who knows if it was frustrating for him?

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:44

Sad day, but at least he recorded a new record before passing away.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: March 19, 2017 18:15

I got to see CB in Munich in 2007. I am grateful for that. With that said, RIP Chuck and thank you for everything!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 19, 2017 18:26

retired_dog
ab

It may have been frustrating for the outside world, but who knows if it was frustrating for him?
He was a very odd man...it's just a shame he lived out his professional life in such a distrustful, embittered, guarded state.

Die-hard music fans know what he means to rock'n'roll, but I feel like his lack of interest in promoting his legacy was a real missed opportunity.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: March 19, 2017 18:52

edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 18:53 by TonyMo.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 19, 2017 19:03

ab
The most frustrating thing about Chuck Berry is that, for all his brilliance, he could have been even greater! After writing all those songs in his "Golden Decade," he didn't release an album of new material after the late '70s

I doubt he could have been bigger... I was listening to the "Complete Chess Recordings (1969-1974)" set and I was struck by the mediocrity of the music. A if Chuck had given all he had during the late 50's early 60's an he entered the 70's completely running out of gas.
The fact that his bigger hit during that period was a cover of the "funny" song "My Ding-A-Ling" (written by Dave Bartholomew btw) says a lot about his creative decline.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 19, 2017 19:21

alexisjagger
Sad day, but at least he recorded a new record before passing away.

I was really looking forward to this. I hope it was complete and that we'll still hear it!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 19, 2017 20:06

dcba
ab
The most frustrating thing about Chuck Berry is that, for all his brilliance, he could have been even greater! After writing all those songs in his "Golden Decade," he didn't release an album of new material after the late '70s

I doubt he could have been bigger... I was listening to the "Complete Chess Recordings (1969-1974)" set and I was struck by the mediocrity of the music. A if Chuck had given all he had during the late 50's early 60's an he entered the 70's completely running out of gas.
The fact that his bigger hit during that period was a cover of the "funny" song "My Ding-A-Ling" (written by Dave Bartholomew btw) says a lot about his creative decline.

Point taken. Part of that may have been due to the music industry treadmill, i.e., being asked to crank out an album per year when he could no longer maintain productivity and quality control. If he were able to scale back so that he only put out a record of new material every 4-5 years (kind of like Bob Dylan in the last few decades), maybe he could have weeded out a lot of the weaker songs.

O/T : RIP Chuck Berry
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:13

RIP: Chuck Berry dead at 90! (October 18, 1926 - March 18, 2017)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 00:16 by 2000 LYFH.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home