Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: anyone have intel? The Last Waltz 40 Tour: A Celebration Of The Last Waltz
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 14, 2017 10:35

hi there,

Thinking of getting tickets to the Last Waltz 40 show in San Francisco coming up in April. Anyone attend these shows on the east coast, where they have already taken place, or plan to attend elsewhere?

Any firsthand reviews?

thanks,
swiss

"Warren Haynes, Dr. John, Jamey Johnson, Don Was, Terence Higgins, Danny Louis, an all-star horn section led by Mark Mullins featuring the original horn arrangements of Allen Toussaint, and very special guests Cyril Neville, Dave Malone, and Bob Margolin. Other very special guests to be announced."
website

Re: OT: anyone have intel? The Last Waltz 40 Tour: A Celebration Of The Last Waltz
Date: March 14, 2017 10:59

Maybe they will convince Van the Man to wear that polyester job again.

Re: OT: anyone have intel? The Last Waltz 40 Tour: A Celebration Of The Last Waltz
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 14, 2017 11:09

Vans performance on the orginal soundtrack is amazing; transcendent. a peak; a thing of high joy and beauty; he takes it all on and takes it all over and kicks it right in the ass into the highest ethers. look at the band, they all know it and are thrilled; so am I every time I hear it or watch it; which is a lot of times...it's never less than full scale awesome...

Date: March 14, 2017 11:12

hopkins
Vans performance on the orginal soundtrack is amazing; transcendent. a peak; a thing of high joy and beauty; he takes it all on and takes it all over and kicks it right in the ass into the highest ethers. look at the band, they all know it and are thrilled; so am I every time I hear it or watch it; which is a lot of times...it's never less than full scale awesome...
Agreed and agreed again. Highlight. I read that the end section of the song (was it 'Caravan'?) with him leading the band, was totally unrehearsed, and of the moment's glory.

Date: March 14, 2017 11:19

Palace Revolution 2000

omg -- this cracked me UP! grinning smiley grinning smiley

"polyester job!" grinning smiley

Yes, it was a wonderful performance, tho.

It says "Special Guests," and Dr. John has already signed on, so wonder who else it might be...can't think of any Bay Area musicians who were part of the original who might show up. Wouldn't imagine any of the other originals--regardless of location--would pop in (Dylan, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Mavis Staples, not to mention Neil Diamond). Almost all of the Bay Area poets who read that night have died, except Michael McClure and Ferlinghetti...gone are: Bill Fritsch, Lenore Kandel, Frank Reynolds, Emmett Grogan.

-swiss

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 14, 2017 16:08

Palace Revolution 2000
hopkins
Agreed and agreed again. Highlight. I read that the end section of the song (was it 'Caravan'?) with him leading the band, was totally unrehearsed, and of the moment's glory.

Yeah, they had no idea he was gonna do those kicks and stuff. They just said Van was evidently possessed or something and they had no idea it was gonna be so good.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 17, 2017 02:41

Palace Revolution 2000
hopkins

Absolutely! Both posts! Amazing performance and a huge highlight of the show. I love Robbie's proclamation 'Van The Man!' afterwards! smiling smiley

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 17, 2017 08:19

I'm motivated to watch the dvd again...it's been several years!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 17, 2017 08:43

I saw the show twice (New Orleans last year and DC). It's a 22 to 25 song show that mixes Band faves and other covers from Last Waltz setlist and post-show jam. For the most part, Jamey Johnson does Levon's vocal parts, Michael McDonald does Richard's, and Warren Haynes does Rick's. Don Was kept the bass parts appropriately wobbly. With Warren out front, there's plenty guitar. The guests were Cyril and Ivan Neville and Bob Margolin (who backed Muddy Waters at the real Last Waltz). Garth showed up at the end in DC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-17 09:34 by ab.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 17, 2017 09:03

swiss
Palace Revolution 2000

omg -- this cracked me UP! grinning smiley grinning smiley

"polyester job!" grinning smiley

Yes, it was a wonderful performance, tho.

It says "Special Guests," and Dr. John has already signed on, so wonder who else it might be...can't think of any Bay Area musicians who were part of the original who might show up. Wouldn't imagine any of the other originals--regardless of location--would pop in (Dylan, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Mavis Staples, not to mention Neil Diamond). Almost all of the Bay Area poets who read that night have died, except Michael McClure and Ferlinghetti...gone are: Bill Fritsch, Lenore Kandel, Frank Reynolds, Emmett Grogan.

-swiss

I wouldn't rule out Mavis Staples, she still performs pretty often and might be up for it.

Date: March 17, 2017 11:50

ab
I saw the show twice (New Orleans last year and DC). It's a 22 to 25 song show that mixes Band faves and other covers from Last Waltz setlist and post-show jam. For the most part, Jamey Johnson does Levon's vocal parts, Michael McDonald does Richard's, and Warren Haynes does Rick's. Don Was kept the bass parts appropriately wobbly. With Warren out front, there's plenty guitar. The guests were Cyril and Ivan Neville and Bob Margolin (who backed Muddy Waters at the real Last Waltz). Garth showed up at the end in DC.

Thanks for the review/reportback, ab. It sounds pretty good.

Garth Hudson was announced yesterday as a "special guest."

I snagged 4th row floor seats. Sure would be outtasight if Robbie Robertson also signed on. Have you gotten any sense whether there might be any chance that Robbie would show up?

Aquamarine
I wouldn't rule out Mavis Staples, she still performs pretty often and might be up for it.

That would be epic.

-swiss

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: March 17, 2017 13:55

I caught a show on this tour last month, and enjoyed it a lot. Michael McDonald as part of the last touring group, and Ivan and Cyril Neville guested at the show I was at. Joan Osborne guested at a few of the shows.If you have a chance, go, it's a good time.

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: March 17, 2017 17:04

I see that Garth Hudson has just signed on so ENJOY! Sorry I missed it on the east coast.

Date: March 20, 2017 13:48

mrsoandso
I caught a show on this tour last month, and enjoyed it a lot. Michael McDonald as part of the last touring group, and Ivan and Cyril Neville guested at the show I was at. Joan Osborne guested at a few of the shows.If you have a chance, go, it's a good time.

Thanks, mrsoandso - I haven't been to a show for a very, very long time. Snagged 4th row center section seats.

btw...I have always enjoyed the moniker "Mr So-and-So," especially in song lyrics. There's a Billie Holiday or Bessie Smith song where it pops up in...cannot remember which one but will.

Date: March 23, 2017 16:32

Saw them test drive it on the informal first date for the tour at the 27th Christmas Jam in Asheville, NC this past December.

WOW!!!!! Is all I can say.

On that one they also had Bob Weir and Alison Krauss sit in on a few numbers.
Nice upgrade.

Mike

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 7, 2017 18:56

Tonight's show in Detroit has sold very few tickets, just a few hundred in a theater that seats 5,000 people. I have to say, it does seem like kind of a flimsy excuse for a tour. Maybe if it was an actual reunion of some of the artists who played at the original show there might have been a little more interest.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 8, 2017 20:04

Why are Garth Hudson, Jim Weider and Randy Ciarlante not part of this? That is quite puzzling. Two of them might not be original Band members, only one of them is, but they certainly are former Band members.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 8, 2017 20:48

The Blackbird tribute shows seem to have the same core band: Warren Haynes on guitar and vocals, Jamey Johnson on guitar and vocals, Don Was on bass, Medeski on keys, and Terrence Higgins on drums. They vary the lineup by a player or two to mix things up.

Date: April 12, 2017 14:19

tatters
Tonight's show in Detroit has sold very few tickets, just a few hundred in a theater that seats 5,000 people. I have to say, it does seem like kind of a flimsy excuse for a tour. Maybe if it was an actual reunion of some of the artists who played at the original show there might have been a little more interest.

Incredible! My old boyfriend, who is a nice guy but is friends with Warren Haynes and now I think he was hyping the show for that reason, made it sound like Neil Young and maybe even Dylan would be showing up in San Francisco. As it is: just Taj Mahal, Garth Hudson, and Dr. John.

Cool enough---but as it happens I can't get to San Francisco due to work, and have 3 tickets. First time in my life, literally, I ever bought expensive tkts. That will show me never to do that again. (Reminds me why that BF and I broke up - super sweet fun groovy free-spirited guy who goes to several shows a week, every week, always seems to have inside scoop, but sometimes I sensed a shady-ness, precisely of this nature--hyping a show on Facebook like it was a life-changing not-to-be-missed experience, not mentioning sales had been down or he knows guys in the band.

Ah well...if anyone wants some tix... eye rolling smiley
-swiss

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home