Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Roxy Music
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 9, 2017 07:10

NICOS
T
Solo Bryan Ferry great ones

1973 These Foolish Things
1976 Let's Stick Together

To me, THE great early Bryan Ferry album is 1977's In Your Mind.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 20, 2017 19:25

Great show by Bryan Ferry at New Orleans beautiful Saenger Theater on March 16, 2017. I'm a fan of both the weird, rocking early Roxy tunes, and the sultry, multi-layered smooth Avalon, and latter day solo stuff, and as usual, this set list included both. Top notch band (no surprise), and Ferry remains about as cool as they come. It was my 4th or 5th time seeing him, and probably the best. Surprisingly he has been skipping both of his last 2 superb CDs this round of dates so far - Avonmore and Olympia.
The set list: The Main Thing, Slave to Love, Ladytron, Oh Yeah, A Waste Land/Windswept, Out of the Blue, Zamba, Bete Noire, Stronger Through the Years, Like a Hurricane (N. Young), Tara (instrumental - superb!), Take a Chance With Me, Remake/Remodel, In Every Dream Home a Heartache, If There is Something, More Than This, Avalon, Love is the Drug, Virginia Plain, Both Ends Burning, Jealous Guy (J. Lennon), Editions of You (by which point the whole theater was rocking). Superb!

Date: March 20, 2017 20:02

DEmerson
Great show by Bryan Ferry at New Orleans beautiful Saenger Theater on March 16, 2017. I'm a fan of both the weird, rocking early Roxy tunes, and the sultry, multi-layered smooth Avalon, and latter day solo stuff, and as usual, this set list included both. Top notch band (no surprise), and Ferry remains about as cool as they come. It was my 4th or 5th time seeing him, and probably the best. Surprisingly he has been skipping both of his last 2 superb CDs this round of dates so far - Avonmore and Olympia.
The set list: The Main Thing, Slave to Love, Ladytron, Oh Yeah, A Waste Land/Windswept, Out of the Blue, Zamba, Bete Noire, Stronger Through the Years, Like a Hurricane (N. Young), Tara (instrumental - superb!), Take a Chance With Me, Remake/Remodel, In Every Dream Home a Heartache, If There is Something, More Than This, Avalon, Love is the Drug, Virginia Plain, Both Ends Burning, Jealous Guy (J. Lennon), Editions of You (by which point the whole theater was rocking). Superb!

Killer setlist. This sounds like a Roxy show. For a Bryan Ferry solo show I would have expected an all white jacket affair; all mellow. And therefore I would not have gone. Obviously I'd have missed out.
I have decided recently that "If there is something" is one of the great songs.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 20, 2017 21:21

Great setlist indeed. I thought he retired some years ago. Anyway, on his homepage he offers a double-CD-live-album recorded in 2015 which also has a very impressive setlist. Regarding "If There Is Something", Tin Machine did it better.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 20, 2017 21:32

I did say that I did not really rate roxy music live, but with that set list above and watching a tv show a few months ago, I would really like to see that kind of show.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 20, 2017 22:00

Regret him cancelling at the last minute in Boston (Orpheum, October, 2014?) with throat issues. Would have been the perfect venue and we had great seats.

He did a white tie type tour for "As times goes by" album and something brief for the Jazz Age. Other than that touring around doing RM warhorses...lol. winking smiley

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: March 21, 2017 08:06

Oh mother of pearl
I wouldn't trade you
For another girl

Date: March 21, 2017 08:46

HMS
Great setlist indeed. I thought he retired some years ago. Anyway, on his homepage he offers a double-CD-live-album recorded in 2015 which also has a very impressive setlist. Regarding "If There Is Something", Tin Machine did it better.

I was surprised that Bowie and the guys did that song, but as much as I love Bowie I got to say did not like his cover version too much.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 21, 2017 08:55

Palace Revolution 2000
DEmerson

Killer setlist. This sounds like a Roxy show. For a Bryan Ferry solo show I would have expected an all white jacket affair; all mellow. And therefore I would not have gone. Obviously I'd have missed out.
I have decided recently that "If there is something" is one of the great songs.

I considered this when the show was announced, I DID expect an all white jacket affair, all mellow, and therefore did not go. Thus I missed out. *bangs head on desk* That really is a killer setlist.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 21, 2017 17:34

Huge Roxy fan and equally love their early and late phase.
Alas, Bryan's voice for several years has been a shadow of its former self, but his backing band are always top drawer quality and sufficiently mask the weakness.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 21, 2017 17:37

loog droog
NICOS
T

I'm with you all the way on this; terribly overlooked masterpiece in his back catalogue.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 22, 2017 00:46

SonicDreamer
loog droog
NICOS
T

I'm with you all the way on this; terribly overlooked masterpiece in his back catalogue.

Cheers,
SonicD

That was the first Bryan Ferry or Roxy Music-related album I ever bought, It has some of Bryan's better original solo songwriting. The musicians on it are good, too, especially Chris Spedding.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 22, 2017 23:10

That was the first Bryan Ferry or Roxy Music-related album I ever bought, It has some of Bryan's better original solo songwriting. The musicians on it are good, too, especially Chris Spedding.[/quote]7

Chris Spedding was on guitar the other night (and I assume the rest of 2017).

Date: March 23, 2017 08:29

marianna
SonicDreamer
loog droog
NICOS
T

Cheers,
SonicD

That was the first Bryan Ferry or Roxy Music-related album I ever bought, It has some of Bryan's better original solo songwriting. The musicians on it are good, too, especially Chris Spedding.
His first 4 solo albums are as strong as early Roxy albums.

Date: March 23, 2017 13:27

Bryan Ferry´s cover-albums are crappy. (except As Time Goes By) His masterpiece as a soloist is Boys And Girls, he never did anything better afterwards.

Btw his Jazz-Age-album is a joke. Should have been a free give-away for sunday papers. At least it should have contained the programm in two versions, a vintage-sounding version (which in fact is the released one) and a state-of-the-art version that does not make your ears bleed.

Olympia & Avonmore are decent but not what it´s used to be. Quite boring compared to Boys And Girls/Bete Noir/Mamouna.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 13:28 by HMS.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 23, 2017 13:48

Palace Revolution 2000
marianna
SonicDreamer
loog droog
NICOS
T

Cheers,
SonicD

His first 4 solo albums are as strong as early Roxy albums.

I always found it bizarre that he would re-do Roxy songs on his solo albums.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 23, 2017 13:50

Macca's brother Mike did a decent cover of Sea Breezes on his 1974 solo album McGear.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 23, 2017 16:22

For the life of me I can't figure out why there hasn't been an official release of the Roxy BBC sessions. Maybe everybody has the boots.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 23, 2017 17:03

coffeepotman
For the life of me I can't figure out why there hasn't been an official release of the Roxy BBC sessions. Maybe everybody has the boots.

Now we're talking....>grinning smiley<

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 23, 2017 21:48

HMS
Bryan Ferry´s cover-albums are crappy. (except As Time Goes By) His masterpiece as a soloist is Boys And Girls, he never did anything better afterwards.

Olympia & Avonmore are decent but not what it´s used to be. Quite boring compared to Boys And Girls/Bete Noir/Mamouna.

His voice has become worse, but his music better, I think. Olympia and Avonmore contain some gems, but the "trilogy" you mention is cold and perfectionist. I´ve never "got" Slave to Love, nor the A-ha like Don´t Stop The Dance, which means they have not got under my skin, and those are the best songs from Boys and Girls.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: March 23, 2017 23:37

Stranded is the album for me, really hit their stride after Eno' s departure.
Tin Machine's If There Is Something was great, their second album seriously underrated.

Date: March 24, 2017 13:05

Tin Machine II is better than everything Bowie offered in the following years. Best album since Scary Monsters.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 25, 2017 06:01

Toru A
JAGGER: They all look like Bryan Ferry.smiling smiley

Bet he nicks their girlfriends too.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home