Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT- The Band
Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:00

Saw the post about the Grateful Dead and got me curious- what is so great about the Band?

Re: OT- The Band
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:05

The Band had a great funky uniquely American sound that won me over at a time when I was heavily biased towards British bands. Songs like The Weight, Chest Fever, etc; just had something that sounded like nobody else at the time. But as much as I admired their own stuff, I think my favorite Band music is when they backed Dylan on Before The Flood. Only saw them once live, but it was pretty late in the game; they opened for CSN in NJ in the early 80's. Robbie was out of the picture but they still sounded very good.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:23

Even by rock music standards they were great...but for only a short time.
By the time of The Last Waltz it was all over.
So we are looking at the period 1967 -1976 and some would say their last few albums were not up to their initial high standard.
Familiar story really. High promise and potential, great musicians (and vocalists)
but fractured by drugs/alcohol, money and business deals, personality clashes etc.
Robbie becomes the fall guy of course. His career has veered into film work but even in his case there has been a bit of an anti climax...as though all his best work was done by the time he hit 30.He's not a lead singer, which doesn't help.

But enjoy the first couple of albums...great records by any measure.
And the LW film...even though the interviews are somewhat cringing....'16 years on the road...blah blah'.
They should do some real work!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:34

Great band with a great farewell concert. I'll concede when I say great band, I do mean the 20 or so greatest hits they have which is all you really need from them. So other good stuff in between but those 20 they'd regularly play in concert is probably their best stuff. And while I like The Last Waltz in general, I understand where the criticism comes into play though. Hell of a box set though. That 4 disc box from the night provides an incredible 3-4 hour concert that I regularly listen to and seals their legacy for me at least.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:59

One of the best ! Levon rocks !

Date: March 7, 2017 18:04

RollingFreak <And while I like The Last Waltz in general, I understand where the criticism comes into play though.>

Generally loved The Last Waltz but still have one burning question; "Why Neil Diamond? Why?" He's about as un-rock and roll as it gets in my humble opinion.

Date: March 7, 2017 18:08

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak

Generally loved The Last Waltz but still have one burning question; "Why Neil Diamond? Why?" He's about as un-rock and roll as it gets in my humble opinion.

Its too simple an answer. Robbie Robertson was producing his album at the time so he had him on. Thats literally the only reason why. They tried to wheel in the whole "tin pan alley" stuff but thats the reason. But yeah, he doesn't fit and its a bone with many, including people like Levon who were like WTF. Too bad, cause its a good song too, but he just sticks out like a sore thumb. And if it weren't such a blatant cross promotional technique there could be merit.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 7, 2017 18:12

Check out "Deuce and A Quarter" featuring the vocal talents of Levon helm and Keith Richards

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 7, 2017 19:00

one of the greatest drummers

Levon Helm ..what a singer too..thats a hell of a combination.

ditto for bassist Rick Danko

and Richard Manuel..pianist, drummer..and also a great voice

Garth Hudson...multi instumentalist and as unique a musician that ever was..

they all worked a musical magic with Robbie Roberetson..gotta give the man credit, he supplied some great songwriting, which the others embellished brilliantly.

Date: March 7, 2017 19:47

Every one of them was brilliant. All were great multi instrumentalists and the reason I never crap on Robbie is cause he wrote all those beautiful songs we remember and that they sang and played so brilliantly. AND he was a badass guitar player that added great licks to what he was playing. Bob Dylan, Band playing, everything else. He's a great guitar player and I hesitate to say underrated but certainly undermentioned when the other guys' talents were so in your face awesome. I do get Robbie's criticism, but if you're a fan of the Band you can only hate him so much because he's also responsible for so much of what was great about the band.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 7, 2017 20:52

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak

Sweet Caroline bum bum bum (I don't know how to spell that part) Good times seem so FAR so FAR .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 7, 2017 20:55

Thank the heaven and the moon for Robbie after all he was the sun the moon and everything else in between .what a great talent and artist the likes of which we will never see again

Date: March 7, 2017 21:33

great band. robbies first solo album was good too

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 7, 2017 21:40

They were one of the finest american bands with such great songs from their own and some terrific covers as well, like Dylan's When I Paint My Masterpiece, imho the best Dylan version ever recorded (Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower is hors-concours, so it doesn't count cool smiley).

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 7, 2017 22:05

Robbie Robertson's How to become a clairvoyant is a great record. Lots of musical guests to help him. I still listen to it once in a while.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 7, 2017 22:18

Cristiano Radtke
They were one of the finest american bands with such great songs from their own and some terrific covers as well, like Dylan's When I Paint My Masterpiece, imho the best Dylan version ever recorded (Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower is hors-concours, so it doesn't count cool smiley).

They were all from Canada except for Levon (as a Canadian, I had to mention this)smiling smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 7, 2017 22:33

RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak

Its too simple an answer. Robbie Robertson was producing his album at the time so he had him on. Thats literally the only reason why. They tried to wheel in the whole "tin pan alley" stuff but thats the reason. But yeah, he doesn't fit and its a bone with many, including people like Levon who were like WTF. Too bad, cause its a good song too, but he just sticks out like a sore thumb. And if it weren't such a blatant cross promotional technique there could be merit.

Well, I don't think it puts Levon in a good light at all.
What about the half a dozen poetry readings then? Didn't he like that also?
He probably didn't care for 'The Suite' either.

The Bangla Desh concert had a set by Ravi Shankar 'cos George (amongst other things) wanted to showcase music other than rock 'n roll.

People's music tastes can be so narrow at times.

Date: March 7, 2017 23:12

RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak

I had heard that was the reason. And I'm not trying to be narrow-minded about different types of music; just saying he didn't fit in. One of these things is not like the others...smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 7, 2017 23:23

DGA35
Cristiano Radtke

They were all from Canada except for Levon (as a Canadian, I had to mention this)smiling smiley

Of course I should have written north american band, with most of his members being from Canada. smiling smiley

Date: March 8, 2017 02:25

jlowe
RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak

Well, I don't think it puts Levon in a good light at all.
What about the half a dozen poetry readings then? Didn't he like that also?
He probably didn't care for 'The Suite' either.

The Bangla Desh concert had a set by Ravi Shankar 'cos George (amongst other things) wanted to showcase music other than rock 'n roll.

People's music tastes can be so narrow at times.

Levon was incredibly inconsistent. He claims to hate the film and the whole idea of a concert, but he comes off GREAT from it and it certainly doesn't look like he's forcing his way through it. He looks like he's... gulp... actually having fun. His points aren't completely unfounded, but his supposed "hate" of it is a little overdone, which was due to him. He seemed to enjoy the whole thing then really crapped a bit too much on it when it was finished.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 8, 2017 02:50

Don't know them all that well. I know of at least 2 Fantastic songs that still get radio time:

Up On Cripple Creek
The Weight

There was a reggae band I used to see that played locally about 20 years ago, George Wesley & The Irritations. They did an incredible cover of The Weight, it was far better than the original. Unfortunately I can't find it on you tube, but did find some cool stuff, example:

** George Wesley, youtube **

** Damn, just realized from the comments that he passed away, RIP George!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 02:52 by LeonidP.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: March 8, 2017 03:52

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak

True, but I really like the song and they all performed it fantastically.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 8, 2017 04:23

DGA35

Yup!

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 8, 2017 04:36

The Band.......where do I start?

Levon, Manuel and Danko where all great singers, each had a distinct voice, together their singing was magic.

Each one was capable of fronting the band, and did, depending if they were the lead vocal on the song.

The music was so unique, they sucked up living in the Catskill mountains to the point where the sound was at times like Appalachian mountain music.

The songbook was incredible, many great ones. Robbie was a great song writer.

Saw them live in the early 70's, again I will say, as a guitar player, Robbie's sound was so awesome. Clean with a 50's Fender Bassman and his Telecaster.

The songs all touch me, the slower ones like Rocking Chair, Whispering Pines and the like.

The mountain music ones like Rag Mama Rag and the like.

The hillbilly rockers like Jemima Surrender with Levon's Arkansas drawl, incredible.

Eric Clapton was so smitten with their music that he said that was the direction he wanted to go in and broke up Cream partly for that reason.

I still feel a loss at the suicide of Richard, Levon's cancer and Rick Danko's possibe (?) drug induced death.

I listen to them almost every day still!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 04:38 by beachbreak.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: March 8, 2017 13:52

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to do a playlist and give them a try. I know the hits- just not the deep cuts that would fill out the best 20 or so songs.

Date: March 8, 2017 14:02

bigmac7895
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to do a playlist and give them a try. I know the hits- just not the deep cuts that would fill out the best 20 or so songs.

you need the following songs:
the weight
up on cripple creek
the night they drove old Dixie down
stage fright
it makes no difference
twilight
I shall be released
we can talk
jawbone
whispering pines
rag mama rag
rockin chair
the shape I'm in
just another whistle stop
when I paint my masterpiece
Acadian driftwood

see what those songs do for you

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2017 14:05

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-09 09:45 by Rockman.

Posted by: ekelundh ()
Date: March 8, 2017 16:32

The Band is up there in the top with other inspiring acts like the Stones, Beatles etc. They truly demonstrated a musicianship few others can master. Of course they also had close links with Bob Dylan. I found out recently that apparently it was a post-Robertson incarnation of the Band from the 80s that was first to release the Dylan song "Blind Willie McTell". The Band version is ok but does not come close to the electric Dylan version with Mick Taylor. I think it was when Dylan heard the Band's version that he started eventually to bring it in to his own live repertoire.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 8, 2017 16:57

Cahoots by the Band on vinyl is always great to listen to.

Date: March 8, 2017 17:02

keefriffhard4life
bigmac7895

you need the following songs:
the weight
up on cripple creek
the night they drove old Dixie down
stage fright
it makes no difference
twilight
I shall be released
we can talk
jawbone
whispering pines
rag mama rag
rockin chair
the shape I'm in
just another whistle stop
when I paint my masterpiece
Acadian driftwood

see what those songs do for you

Yeah, thats not a bad list. Personally I'd also throw in there Life Is A Carnival, This Wheel's On Fire, Ophelia, W.S. Walcott Medicine Show, Chest Fever, and Tears Of Rage. Literally I'd put those 6 in for the ones I bolded and you have basically my perfect 15 songs from the Band, although all the ones Keef mentioned are also great. Basically for me, when I want to show people the band, I play them The Last Waltz. In that concert, in between all the guests, they play about 15 songs that are theirs and is just them with no guests, just The Band. IMO they never played those songs better than on that night and the songs are so much better live so its like the perfect compilation album for them.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home