Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The great man!
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 5, 2017 16:39

[youtu.be]

The man who contributed alot on some of the great Stones albums..pity he didnt remember a thing! Sad
RIP the great nicky hopkins!

Re: The great man!
Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: March 5, 2017 17:47

Very nice.Perfect music for a Sunday morning.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 5, 2017 19:45

the melody and power of some of the most important classic figures in some of the most important classic rock and roll records ever; yes the GREAT GREAT man...
this is beautiful just to hear him rolling along; i've heard it before and always glad to hear it again; so much going on; the not so secret ingredient behind a lot of The Amazing Kinks records and so many others...

...especially here at IORR where we know how instrumental and foundational and contributory he was, being absolutely present and foundationally important as some of the most enduring, a lot of the most enduring signature truly important Rolling Stones records ever were conceived, created, finessed, worked-up, improved upon, developed; every track every hard day and night as it was happening; part of what was essentially happening from track conception to the first rhythm tracks and beyond....thru the sweat blood tears drama drugs lives and deaths...

...And very very many of them, right to the top and higher out to forever...think of even todays set lists, even with it's variations, and hear Chuck or Billy or any of them try their best to replicate and deliver these precious brilliant parts so inherently foundational in their best writing and most enduring productions. The great man indeed. heartachingly lovely melodies and a rhythm sense and delivery just pristine original and precious...
i've seen the guy churn it out right in the midst of the chaos and beauty that is the very best of The Rolling Stones...there as every track got established and embellished and developed. Ray even wrote a song about him...
'She's a Rainbow' just one example. I mean holy moly he should have gotten a song writing credit or some kind of piece of the pies he helped create and bake...
that's just one...i mean...the biggest hits the best most important stuff...i mean how very many more like this where the entire thrust of the thing is based upon or rounded up around his basic signature melodic creations...Keith's right hand man; Everybody's right hand man. can u even start listing even just The Stones tracks where he made all the difference? and on the very best of their albums...

there's no way to even give him enough credit or respect, just a thanks somehow...and that's not enough...

...even this doesn't quite nail it all: but holy moly; these are some of the most important and beautiful records ever recorded; it's amazing this guy; so lovely to be listening to your link as i leave this here, thank you so much!

NICKY HOPKINS DISCOGRAPHY HIGHLIGHTS
THE SIXTIES
THE WHO, My Generation, Brunswick/Decca USA
THE KINKS, The Kinks Kontroversy, Pye/Reprise
NICKY HOPKINS, The Revolutionary Piano Of…, CBS
THE KINKS, Face To Face, Pye / Reprise
ROLLING STONES, Between The Buttons, Decca/London
ROLLING STONES, Their Satanic Majesties Request, Decca/London
ROLLING STONES, Beggar’s Banquet, Decca/London
KINKS, Village Green Preservation Society, Pye/Reprise
JEFF BECK GROUP, Truth, Columbia/Epic
THE KINKS, Something Else By The Kinks, Pye/Reprise
DUSTY SPRINGFIELD, Dusty…Definitely, Philips
ROLLING STONES, Let It Bleed, Decca/London
JEFF BECK GROUP, Beck-Ola, Columbia / Epic
STEVE MILLER BAND, Brave New World, Capitol
STEVE MILLER BAND, Your Saving Grace, Capitol
JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, Volunteers, RCA
FAMILY, Entertainment, Reprise
ROY HARPER, Folkjokeopus, Liberty
ELLA FITZGERALD, Ella, Warner Brothers
THE MOVE, The Move, Cube
BILLY NICHOLLS, Would You Believe, Immediate

THE SEVENTIES
STEVE MILLER BAND, Number 5, Capitol
QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE, Shady Grove, Capitol
VARIOUS, Woodstock, Atlantic
ROLLING STONES, Sticky Fingers, Rolling Stones Records
THE WHO, Who’s Next, Track
NICKY HOPKINS, Jamming With Edward, Rolling Stones Records
JOHN LENNON, Imagine, Apple
ROLLING STONES, Exile On Main Street, Rolling Stones Records
HARRY NILSSON, Son Of Schmilsson, RCA Victor
CARLY SIMON, No Secrets, Elektra
NICKY HOPKINS, The Tin Man Was A Dreamer, CBS
GEORGE HARRISON, Living In The Material World, Apple
RINGO STARR, Ringo, Apple
ROLLING STONES, Goat’s Head Soup, Rolling Stones Records
ANDY WILLIAMS, Solitaire, CBS
JOHN LENNON, Walls & Bridges, Apple
ROLLING STONES, It’s Only Rock’n’Roll, Rolling Stones Records
JOE COCKER, I Can Stand A Little Rain, Fly
PETER FRAMPTON, Something’s Happening, A & M
RINGO STARR, Goodnight Vienna, Apple
MARTHA REEVES, Martha Reeves, MCA
NICKY HOPKINS, No More Changes, Mercury (US)
ART GARFUNKEL, Breakaway, CBS
ROLLING STONES, Black & Blue, Rolling Stones Records
JERRY GARCIA, Reflections, United Artists
ROD STEWART, Footloose And Fancy Free, Warner Brothers
JENNIFER WARNES, Jennifer Warnes, Arista
ROD STEWART, Blondes Have More Fun, Riva
LOWELL GEORGE, Thanks I’ll Eat It Here, Warner Brothers
POINTER SISTERS, Priority, Planet

THE EIGHTIES
ROLLING STONES, Emotional Rescue, Rolling Stones Records
TIM HARDIN, Unforgiven, Arc International
GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR, The Up Escalator, Stiff
ROLLING STONES, Tattoo You, Rolling Stones Records
NILS LOFGREN, Night Fades Away, MCA/Backstreets
MEATLOAF, Dead Ringer, Cleveland/Epic
GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR, Another Grey Area, RCA
DUSTY SPRINGFIELD, White Heat, Mercury/Casablanca
KING OF COMEDY, Soundtrack, Warner Brothers
CARL WILSON, Youngblood, Caribou
JULIO IGLESIAS, 1100 Bel Air Place, CBS
BELINDA CARLISLE, Belinda, IRS
ROD STEWART, Rod Stewart/Every Beat Of My Heart, Warner Brothers
PAUL MCCARTNEY, Flowers In The Dirt,Capitol
JACK BRUCE, A Question Of Time, Epic

THE NINETIES
ROGER CHAPMAN, Hybrid & Lowdown, Polydor
GARY MOORE, Still Got The Blues, Virgin
NICKY HOPKINS, The Fugitive (Soundtrack), Toshiba-EMI
NICKY HOPKINS, Patio (Soundtrack), Toshiba-EMI
JAYHAWKS, Hollywood Town Hall, Columbia
JOE SATRIANI, Extremist, Legacy Recordings
SPINAL TAP, Break Like The Wind, MCA
MATTHEW SWEET, Altered Beast, Zoo/BMG
JOE WALSH, Robocop Soundtrack, Rhino/Pyramid
GENE CLARK, Under The Silvery Moon, Delta De Luxe
FRANKIE MILLER, Long Way Home, Jerkin’ Crocus

THE SINGLES
SCREAMING LORD SUTCH, Jack The Ripper/Don’t You Just Know It, Decca
THE WHO, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere , Brunswick
THE KINKS, Till The End Of The Day, Pye/Reprise
CYRIL DAVIES R & B ALL STARS, Country Line Special/Chicago Calling, Pye International/Dot
CLIFF BENNETT & REBEL ROUSERS, My Old Standby (B-Side), Parlophone
RITCHIE BLACKMORE ORCHESTRA, Little Brown Jug/Getaway, Oriole
VASHTI, Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind ,Decca
DAVY JONES & THE LOWER THIRD, You’ve Got A Habit Of Leaving, Parlophone
PRETTY THINGS, Midnight To Six Man, Fontana
THE KINKS, Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, Pye/Reprise
THE KINKS, Sunny Afternoon, Pye/Reprise
DAVID BOWIE, Can’t Help Thinking About Myself, Pye
TWICE AS MUCH, Sittin’ On A Fence/Baby I Want You, Immediate
CAT STEVENS, Matthew And Son/Granny, Deram
ROLLING STONES, We Love You, Decca/London
ROLLING STONES, 2000 Light Years/She’s A Rainbow, Decca/London
NICKY HOPKINS, Mr. Pleasant, Polydor/Decca
THE KINKS, Autumn Almanac, Pye (UK)
DAVE DAVIES, Death Of A Clown, Pye/Reprise
JEFF BECK, Beck’s Bolero, Columbia/Epic
YARDBIRDS, Little Games, Columbia
MARC BOLAN, Jasper C. Debussy, Track
PP ARNOLD, The First Cut Is The Deepest, Immediate
BEATLES, Hey Jude/Revolution (B-side), Apple
ROLLING STONES, Jumpin’ Jack Flash, Decca/London
THE KINKS, Days, Pye/Reprise
DONOVAN, Goo Goo Barabajagal, Epic
SCAFFOLD, Lily The Pink, Parlophone
FATS DOMINO, Have You Seen My Baby, Reprise
JOHN LENNON/PLASTIC ONO BAND, Happy Christmas/War Is Over, Apple
THE WHO, Let’s See Action, Track
ROLLING STONES, Tumbling Dice, Rolling Stones
HARRY NILSSON, Remember Christmas, RCA
ROLLING STONES, Angie, Rolling Stones
GEORGE HARRISON, Give Me Love, Apple
RINGO STARR, Photograph, Apple
RINGO STARR, You’re Sixteen, Apple
JOE COCKER, You Are So Beautiful, A & M
ART GARFUNKEL, I Only Have Eyes For You, Columbia
JULIO IGLESIAS / WILLIE NELSON, To All The Girls I’ve Loved Before, CBS
JOE WALSH / STEVE EARLE, Honey Don’t (Beverley Hillbillies), Fox Records
JOE WALSH / FRANKIE MILLER, Guilty Of The Crime, Pyramid
PAUL MCCARTNEY, Beautiful Night/Same Love, Oobu-Joobu 6

[www.nickyhopkins.com]

"Nicky touched people’s lives, not just with his extraordinary musical abilities, but with his courage and his wicked sense of humour.
As long as the hundreds of albums he contributed to are still listened to, he will never be forgotten."
MOIRA HOPKINS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-05 20:03 by hopkins.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: March 6, 2017 00:43

He also played on four songs for the Beat Farmers' Pursuit Of Happiness album.

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 6, 2017 04:14

That recorded legacy is just mind blowing.

Date: March 6, 2017 05:33

Long John Stoner
He also played on four songs for the Beat Farmers' Pursuit Of Happiness album.

[www.discogs.com]

thumbs up smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 09:31

Fave Stones tracks with Nicky: Rainbow, Sympathy, Loving Cup and Angie.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 11:18

+ Happy, Time Waits for No One, Gimme Shelter.

A true rock'n roll blues boogie piano player like Stu...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: March 6, 2017 11:23

He was way more than a blues boogie-woogie piano player. He was a wizard, and could play everything.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 10, 2017 08:14

Rolling Stones - Nicky Hopkins
She's A Rainbow (take 2) 1967

Mick Jagger - percussion
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar
Brian Jones - electric guitar, mellotron (trumpet)
Bill Wyman - bass guitar, electric organ
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins - piano
String arrangement by John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 10, 2017 08:45

Brian Jones: Electric guitar??

Date: March 10, 2017 12:02

DandelionPowderman

yes good catch; i was wondering about that too. Keno's take on it?

"Recorded May 18, 1967. Released on Their Satanic Majesties Request in December of 1967.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger Piano: Nicky Hopkins Electric Guitar: Keith Richards Mellotron: Brian Jones Bass: Bill Wyman Drums: Charlie Watts Percussion: Brian Jones & Mick Jagger Background Vocals: Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones & Bill Wyman Strings: Arranged by John Paul Jones"

(unless the particualr version posted above was some kind of 'dubbing' track before K added electric? I just don't know; I love that take w Nicky; it's just tremendously beautiful. Just lovely; the guy has so much sparkle, magic and taste. He adds so much to this one he almost should have gotten a writing credit; but folks that know, do know how essential and central his own piano parts have been in the basic rhythm and 'riffs' (original and highly inspired melody lines) ...
Jack Nitzsche's piano seems to do that for LSTNT for example.
And Nicky on key definitional tracks a lot of the time; SFTD leaps immediately to mind; Chuck's like playing Nicky's original distinctive classic parts, or replicating them let's say...on a prominet number of their live shows since the 80's till now and tomorrow; nicky will be all over the 2017 tour in a way, won't he? Just like every live show for 46 years or so...

it's hard for me to hear any guitars at all; around two minutes or two fifteen, two twenty or so when it breaks out in rhythm there IS an amazing acoustic rhythm guitar which I assume is Keith; Keno above mentions no acoustic guitar at all but it's the only guitar I'm hearing in this version....

good gosh almighty; so after much research, study and consideration i can say with confidence i don't @#$%& know. but i do hear a bitchin' acoustic on that version.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 10, 2017 13:09

This guy was a genius and that's not even scratching the surface of his excellence Do you know over the years a lot of the heat that has come down on Chuck Leavall because he pales in comparison to the truly master of the ivories that was Nicky Hopkins.I hear some Professor Longhair influence from the Crescent city in his sound .Words cannot even sum up how great Nicky is and was and there will never be another like him again .

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 10, 2017 13:25

DandelionPowderman
He was way more than a blues boogie-woogie piano player. He was a wizard, and could play everything.

[www.youtube.com]

Exactly. Pure rock wizard. Amazing talent. In a way he gradually replaced one of the parts Brian played in the band - musically (Brian was never replaced by anyone of course).

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 10, 2017 13:37

The best ever pianist in rock, for sure.

I read the German version of this book: [juliandawson.com]

It's just amazing, giving many impressions of Nicky Hopkins, who Charlie states as "true genius" (Exhibitionism)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-10 13:37 by Meise.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 10, 2017 16:28

Nicky recorded with the great band Quicksilver Messenger Service and on the album "What about Me" wrote Spindrifter in 1970 : Check it out: [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 10, 2017 16:32

Nicky's work with The Kinks was genius as well.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 10, 2017 17:58

The Stones did use him well, I think. I bet they could have easily had him up in the mix just about every time he played, but often his role was to be just that Johnnie Johnson Boogie piano in a guitar band. And they wrote the book how that was mixed in. Where often he was felt, and then an undeniable phrase would rise from the murk. "Xasino Boogie" maybe. "Soul Survivor", "Rocks Off" "Time Waits For No One" "Waiting on a Friend"
And then there's the featured songs "Loving Cup", "We Love You", "Rainbow". I think "Loving Cup" may be his best. The grand intro; but all those runs and arpeggios he does in and around the chord changes to complement the vocal melody are beautiful.
Or little break in "Rainbow", which is almost classic in its development of the original melody. I like that line right at the 3:00 mark.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 5, 2017 09:01

hopkins
DandelionPowderman

yes good catch; i was wondering about that too. Keno's take on it?

"Recorded May 18, 1967. Released on Their Satanic Majesties Request in December of 1967.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger Piano: Nicky Hopkins Electric Guitar: Keith Richards Mellotron: Brian Jones Bass: Bill Wyman Drums: Charlie Watts Percussion: Brian Jones & Mick Jagger Background Vocals: Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones & Bill Wyman Strings: Arranged by John Paul Jones"

(unless the particualr version posted above was some kind of 'dubbing' track before K added electric? I just don't know; I love that take w Nicky; it's just tremendously beautiful. Just lovely; the guy has so much sparkle, magic and taste. He adds so much to this one he almost should have gotten a writing credit; but folks that know, do know how essential and central his own piano parts have been in the basic rhythm and 'riffs' (original and highly inspired melody lines) ...
Jack Nitzsche's piano seems to do that for LSTNT for example.
And Nicky on key definitional tracks a lot of the time; SFTD leaps immediately to mind; Chuck's like playing Nicky's original distinctive classic parts, or replicating them let's say...on a prominet number of their live shows since the 80's till now and tomorrow; nicky will be all over the 2017 tour in a way, won't he? Just like every live show for 46 years or so...

it's hard for me to hear any guitars at all; around two minutes or two fifteen, two twenty or so when it breaks out in rhythm there IS an amazing acoustic rhythm guitar which I assume is Keith; Keno above mentions no acoustic guitar at all but it's the only guitar I'm hearing in this version....

good gosh almighty; so after much research, study and consideration i can say with confidence i don't @#$%& know. but i do hear a bitchin' acoustic on that version.

Keno is awful for credits. Best to ignore. smiling smiley

Date: May 5, 2017 09:19

Nicky also played on Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds-album in the early 90s.

A guy I have toured with also played on that album. Make no mistake, everybody knew Nicky was a legend.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: May 5, 2017 13:03

I think Nicky also played on a couple of Beatles tracks. Revolution is one of them. His piano on "monkey man" is genius!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 13:05 by Kuntaman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 5, 2017 13:16

DandelionPowderman

A guy I have toured with also played on that album. Make no mistake, everybody knew Nicky was a legend.
I have this album and I did not know that Nicky Hopkins played on it which is something because I always thought this album had a Stones vibe ,or mood or influence on it from the Glimmers .cool smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 5, 2017 17:40

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman

I have this album and I did not know that Nicky Hopkins played on it which is something because I always thought this album had a Stones vibe ,or mood or influence on it from the Glimmers .cool smiley

That 1st JuJu Hounds album has Nicky on 6/11 tracks. Also had Ronnie Wood on 1 track. Since the day I 1st heard it, the Stones musical influence was obvious even if it wasn't until later that I found out that there were "Stones" involved in the making of it. According to Wikipedia, Nicky played on a couple more JuJu Hounds/Stradlin solo records as well. I don't have them so I wouldn't be one who could comment on their content. ALWAYS enjoyed that 1st record.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 5, 2017 17:47

It's insane that Nicky Hopkins, whose playing on Sympathy for the Devil--a song played daily on Rock radio stations for 49 years--among other classics, is not a member of the RnR HoF.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: May 5, 2017 18:01

Here's a treat if you have a chance. There is a part of the Exhibitionism display where you can put on headphones and control the faders on an ersatz mixing board for several Stones tunes. One is Rocks Off. Turn down all the faders except for piano and listen to the entire tune with just Nicky. It's really cool to hear him laying down the foundation so clearly and out front. Worth the price of admission, and allows a true appreciation of what he brought to the overall sound. Oh yeah!

HBK

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 5, 2017 18:31

Yes, Nicky was great!

However, I thought this was a thread about Rockman!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home