Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1971 UK Tour
Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: March 4, 2017 18:10

Read this article today and it says they played CYHMK at the first show with Wild Horses before dropping it. I know Wyman said they were played in his book and several folks argued saying he was wrong. Is there any audio of this show? Or could this be considered a Holy Grail show?
[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Re: 1971 UK Tour
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 4, 2017 18:36

It is an interesting subject, and you may start a new discussion here,
but you might also have some interest in the thread from a few years back:

[iorr.org]

...and I much rather would like to have that show than El Mocambo...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-04 18:38 by Rank Stranger.

Date: March 4, 2017 22:04

bigmac7895
Read this article today and it says they played CYHMK at the first show with Wild Horses before dropping it. I know Wyman said they were played in his book and several folks argued saying he was wrong. Is there any audio of this show? Or could this be considered a Holy Grail show?
[www.udiscovermusic.com]

I would love to hear CYHMK 1971, curious to hear how Taylor played his improvisation back then.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 5, 2017 02:37

Now this would be a true release for "from the vaults" !

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: March 5, 2017 04:14

Thank you Rank Stranger for the link of this discussion 6 years ago. The set list for that Newcastle show definitely deserves to see the soundboard released some day. Would love that show, the 72 Vancouver where they debuted some Exile tracks and then the 73 benefit concert.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2017 07:36

Rank Stranger
It is an interesting subject, and you may start a new discussion here,
but you might also have some interest in the thread from a few years back:

[iorr.org]

...and I much rather would like to have that show than El Mocambo...

That is a great and interesting thread. thumbs up

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 5, 2017 17:54

bigmac7895
Thank you Rank Stranger for the link of this discussion 6 years ago. The set list for that Newcastle show definitely deserves to see the soundboard released some day. Would love that show, the 72 Vancouver where they debuted some Exile tracks and then the 73 benefit concert.

Amen to all three, brother!

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 5, 2017 18:36

TheflyingDutchman
bigmac7895
[www.udiscovermusic.com]

I would love to hear CYHMK 1971, curious to hear how Taylor played his improvisation back then.

There is a part of a rehearsal take from Burbank 72 available, but just a minute or so.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: March 5, 2017 19:31

Not sure how good Taylor's memory is for this kind of stuff, but I saw him in November 2012 at Cadogan Hall and as I recall he introduced CYHMK by saying he never got to play it live with the Stones but hoped to soon. (This was just after the two O2 shows, and before the Brooklyn/Newark shows).

Several other IORRians were there, too, maybe they remember more.

Date: March 6, 2017 00:45

ChrisL
Not sure how good Taylor's memory is for this kind of stuff, but I saw him in November 2012 at Cadogan Hall and as I recall he introduced CYHMK by saying he never got to play it live with the Stones but hoped to soon. (This was just after the two O2 shows, and before the Brooklyn/Newark shows).

Several other IORRians were there, too, maybe they remember more.

Then most likely they didn't play it all or dropped it during a rehearsal.

Date: March 6, 2017 01:44

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-06 01:44 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 6, 2017 05:08

Rolling Stones on stage at Empire Theatre, Liverpool, England 12th March 1971

4 March 1971 2 shows	Newcastle upon Tyne	England	City Hall

5 March 1971 2 shows	Manchester	Free Trade Hall

6 March 1971 2 shows	Coventry	Coventry Theatre

8 March 1971 2 shows	Glasgow	Scotland	Greens Playhouse

9 March 1971 2 shows	Bristol	England	Colston Hall

10 March 1971 2 shows	Brighton	Big Apple

12 March 1971 2 shows	Liverpool	Empire Theatre

13 March 1971 1 show	Leeds	University of Leeds

14 March 1971 2 shows	London	Roundhouse

26 March 1971 1 show	Marquee Club

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: March 6, 2017 12:31

46 years ago tonight I went to both Coventry shows with my girlfriend.
Fabulous memories of a band that were truly "the greatest rock n roll band in the world". There was no-one came close in live performance.
Incidentally, CYHMK and WH were not played at Coventry. Prodigal Son was played but only at the 2nd show. Only the 1st show is in circulation.

That summer Mick married Bianca and I made my girlfriend my wife.
Where have those 46 years gone.

The Rolling Stones Say Goodbye To All That: UK Tour - '71
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 5, 2017 06:34

The Rolling Stones Say Goodbye To All That
Rolling Stones Say Goodbye

"The Rolling Stones’ Sticky Fingers album was a long time coming. It started life in Muscle Shoals sound in Alabama in early December 1969 and after marathon recording sessions in London and at Mick’s house in the country during 1970 and mixing in early 1971 it was finally ready for release.

The Stones have always been different and rather than go on the road to support the album’s release, following its release, they decided to tour the UK in March 1971, a full month before Sticky Fingers went on sale. This was not necessarily as they would have liked it, as for ‘tax reasons’ they had decided to move to France and needed to leave the UK before the new tax year began in the first week of April.

Which is why on, 4 March 1971 the band were at Newcastle's City Hall for the opening night. This was The Stones' first tour of the UK since the autumn of 1966 and apart from the famous Hyde Park concert in July 1969 they had only played at an NME Poll Winners’ Concert in 1968 – and then just a couple of songs – and so there was a lot of excitement among fans anxious to see the band.

The UK tour was a nine city, sixteen show, affair and to buy tickets for the Newcastle show, fans waited overnight, some as long as 16 hours – no fun at all to be outside for that long during March in the North of England. The band travelled to Newcastle by train, at least most of them did; Keith missed both trains that took the other Stones north from London on their three and a half hour journey and so he was driven to Newcastle with his friend Gram Parsons from the Flying Burrito Brothers, arriving only minutes before the show was due to start.

Among the songs they played on their first show were ‘Dead Flowers’, ‘Bitch’, ‘Can't You Hear Me Knockin', ‘Wild Horses’ and ‘Brown Sugar’, all of which came from Sticky Fingers. However, for the remainder of the tour they dropped ‘Can't You Hear Me Knockin' and ‘Wild Horses’. The band were on exceptional form for these shows – Bobby Keys and Jim Price had become the group’s resident horn section, and Nicky Hopkins was playing piano with them onstage for the first time ever on an entire tour, with Stu doing his boogie piano on numbers that had no minor chords.

Throughout the tour they played two shows each night, except in Brighton and Leeds, and the ticket prices were £1, 85p, 75p, 65p, with 50p tickets available in some places. British Blues rock band, The Groundhogs were the principal support band on the tour, but Noir, a little remembered band were on the Roundhouse show.

As usual the media had a field day in expressing their views on the band and we have a couple of favourites from the kind of august organs that you may not have expected to be reviewing the Stones back in 1971. According to the Financial Times, “Jagger might be the last of the great white pop entertainers. Those watery eyes stared out at the audience like a fish in an aquarium tank. What we will miss, particularly if the Stones do not tour here again is their showmanship. The Stones are a piece of top social history."

Meanwhile The Spectator opined, "The band are playing with as much guts and excitement as they ever have done, and all of them with the exception of Mick Taylor are now pushing 30 (though Jagger at 50 is a curiously inconceivable image)"

The Record Mirror, a more likely place for a write up of the tour suggested, "The Rolling Stones proved once again that they are still the best little rock and roll band in the land."

They still are…"

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

[www.udiscovermusic.com] (tour poster w dates)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-05 06:37 by hopkins.

Re: The Rolling Stones Say Goodbye To All That: UK Tour - '71
Date: March 5, 2017 06:58

Dead Flowers
Stray Cat Blues
Love In Vain
Midnight Rambler
Bitch
Introduction
Honky Tonk Women
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Little Queenie
Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
Let It Rock (encore in stereo)

[www.youtube.com]

"The Farewell UK Tour in 1971 was in fact a club tour, so the sound and atmosphere of its gigs were very different from the arena tours in 1969 and 1970.
Here we have the famous Leeds University gig, in the best audio (mono soundboard) quality available....kleermaker1000"

Date: March 5, 2017 12:22

Yes, today we would say club tour. The venues are comparable with Keith' second US Tour. Unfortunately the venues were so small that 14 out of 16 shows remained untaped. They probably played CYHMK not only once at the beginning (there are rumours regarding Glasgow), but we will never probably never get a version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-05 13:11 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 5, 2017 14:58

Monsoon Ragoon
Yes, today we would say club tour. The venues are comparable with Keith' second US Tour. Unfortunately the venues were so small that 14 out of 16 shows remained untaped. They probably played CYHMK not only once at the beginning (there are rumours regarding Glasgow), but we will never probably never get a version.

The Marquee was a pretty small venue bot got taped though.

Date: March 5, 2017 15:11

jlowe
Monsoon Ragoon

The Marquee was a pretty small venue bot got taped though.

Never heard this before... Marquee was two weeks later, a TV thing, not a real concert. But okay, let's say we have 4 shows (Leeds, Coventry, Marquee, Roundhouse) of 17. Doesn't change much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-05 15:32 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 5, 2017 15:34

Don't forget the Coventry show that is circulating......

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: March 5, 2017 15:35

stonesstein

Yeah, I just found out.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 5, 2017 15:40

Monsoon Ragoon
stonesstein

Yeah, I just found out.

It's not a bad show, but the recording levels are way to high in some parts until it is difficult at times.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: March 5, 2017 16:01

hopkins
The Rolling Stones Say Goodbye To All That
Rolling Stones Say Goodbye

Bobby Keys and Jim Price had become the group’s resident horn section, and Nicky Hopkins was playing piano with them onstage for the first time ever on an entire tour, With Stu doing his boogie piano on numbers that had no minor chords

"

The Record Mirror,

Question: Does anyone remember why Stu disliked minor chords?

Date: March 5, 2017 16:05

He was once asked why he did not play piano on “Wild Horses.” Stu laughed and said “minor chords! “I don’t play minor chords. When I’m playing on stage with the Stones and a minor chord comes along, I lift me hands in protest.”

Date: March 5, 2017 18:55

stu such a major part of their live sound to me; and also on record here and there of course. even with nicky 71 - 72 and skipping to mac and stu in '78, and the some girls rockers all basic chords, along with 'let it rock' opener also standard no minors haha...it's such a huge part of that sound, that rhythm...that pounding little richard type element with a rockin' hard blues flair; stu such a treasure; a foundational original to me; and a big part of several of the live shows I saw in different periods. at first when i belatedly caught up with Handsome Girls era stuff, especially that ft. worth gig...the charging rhythm of the thing made me so happy; to me the classic power of the band was somehow back; even without the inestimably contributory taylor...but on closer listenings with time i can really here those pianos driving everything in a way; even a foundation for those killer rhythm guitars...most good fans know much more about stu than I and much more familiar with his contributions but i just love the guy; and for me when I've seen them at their very best; tho not photographed or filmed or focused upon; at the shows for me he was very present; a very much presence sonically, even visually see him working so hard and earnestly. nothing bullshit about stu.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 5, 2017 19:35

TheflyingDutchman
He was once asked why he did not play piano on “Wild Horses.” Stu laughed and said “minor chords! “I don’t play minor chords. When I’m playing on stage with the Stones and a minor chord comes along, I lift me hands in protest.”

I know this is sacrilegious here at iorr.org but Nicky was a much more gifted piano player. That's the real reason. And Stu was great on the first record, on songs like Let it Bleed etc. I like both but Nicky was crucial to their live sound and without a doubt on many songs in the studio. Very creative.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: March 5, 2017 23:07

hopkins
Dead Flowers
Stray Cat Blues
Love In Vain
Midnight Rambler
Bitch
Introduction
Honky Tonk Women
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Little Queenie
Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
Let It Rock (encore in stereo)

[www.youtube.com]

"The Farewell UK Tour in 1971 was in fact a club tour, so the sound and atmosphere of its gigs were very different from the arena tours in 1969 and 1970.
Here we have the famous Leeds University gig, in the best audio (mono soundboard) quality available....kleermaker1000"

Better link with full show and best sound from box set bonus disc:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: March 6, 2017 23:32

TheflyingDutchman
bigmac7895
[www.udiscovermusic.com]

I'd also love to hear Sympathy in 1971. Apparently they played it as an encore the first few shows (Source: Ain't It Time We Said Goodbye: The Rolling Stones on the Road to Exile: author Robert Greenfield). I guess Let it Rock took its place.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home