Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chrissie Hynde last night
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 4, 2017 04:08

The Pretenders totally kicked ass before Stevie Nicks last night- I've seen the show a few times now and it's really good. Highly recommended.

But at one point, Chrissie says to the crowd "so for those of you that love get your yas yas out the way I do - you know that part were Mick says, I think I busted a button on my trousers and I hope they don't fall down… and I wish once in my life I could say something that cool up here on stage..."

Re: Chrissie Hynde last night
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2017 04:36

My wife and I saw Chrissie Hynde solo tour a couple of years ago at the small Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara. Her set was seemingly mostly Pretenders tunes, and her band was smoking!
"...the real magic was brought by guitarist James Walbourne , who breathed life into the show with hypnotic riffs and complex rhythms that served as a backbone for the band"
All around great fun show, and I'd happily see here again (with or without the Pretenders) if she ever plays a small theater near me again.

But alas, she never said anything cool on stage!

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: March 4, 2017 05:12

Saw the Pretenders play a solo show a few months ago in NJ. Met Martin Chambers - really nice guy. Love their new cd and Chrissie's book, which she signed for me after the show. She is a rock and roll treasure and still has that sass and wit onstage. Keep on rollin!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 4, 2017 05:21

hbwriter
The Pretenders totally kicked ass before Stevie Nicks last night-

Yeah, not quite sure why Pretenders are opening for Stevie.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 4, 2017 05:46

Have seen them half a dozen times, going back 30 years now...always impressed with their shows, no matter the lineup. Martin is incredible and the successors to James Honeyman-Scott have all been really good, whether it be Robbie McIntosh, Adam Seymour or James Walbourne. And, of course, there's Chrissie and those amazing songs. Although I never saw the original lineup, I'm sure glad she kept the band together.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 4, 2017 05:47

She's awesome. One of the best rock and roll ladies ever.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 4, 2017 09:02

hbwriter
The Pretenders totally kicked ass before Stevie Nicks last night- I've seen the show a few times now and it's really good. Highly recommended.

But at one point, Chrissie says to the crowd "so for those of you that love get your yas yas out the way I do - you know that part were Mick says, I think I busted a button on my trousers and I hope they don't fall down… and I wish once in my life I could say something that cool up here on stage..."

I've got tickets to see the Pretenders at the Hammersmith Apollo in London in October, but they're also at the Royal Albert Hall in April - need to get myself in there. Saw Chrissie Hynde once by herself a few years ago somewhere in N London, fabulous. I can't wait for these Pretenders shows ........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 4, 2017 09:09

Yeah Chrissie is a cool Stones Fan. I remember she dedicated a song to Mick in Germany 2003. It was You Know Who Your Friends Are. Besides that they played very strong. I often play the live 2003 DVD.

Date: March 4, 2017 12:44

Nice to hear, i've got tixs to see them in Paris Salle Pleyel next june smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: March 4, 2017 13:13

Thanks JJF59 i didn't know about Pleyel !Je prends ma place de suite!!!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 4, 2017 15:18

She is fascinating to me. She is hanging in there with so much grace and presence; and ferocity. She's really special isn't she? She gave bith to one of Ray Davies children? Is that true?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 5, 2017 00:09

saw Iggy Pop open for her in...I don't know, 85/86, something like that.

After The Pretenders came on, Chrissie walked up to the mike and said, "I just want to kiss the stage that Iggy Pop just played on" and proceeded to get on her knees bend down and kiss the stage.

both were excellent.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: March 5, 2017 00:39

Last time we saw her (with The Pretenders), she opened for The
stones in Chicago at whatever Comiskey Park is called these days. Great opener for an all around great night.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 5, 2017 16:01

Other than the first two albums, which I tired of quickly, I never really got into them. This is probably my favorite thing she ever did. I don't think it's even available on any official Pretenders release.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-05 16:06 by tatters.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 5, 2017 17:11

tatters
Other than the first two albums, which I tired of quickly, I never really got into them. This is probably my favorite thing she ever did. I don't think it's even available on any official Pretenders release.

[youtu.be]

Ms. Hynde contributes vocals to this song on the group Moodswings album Moodfood.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 5, 2017 17:18

Maindefender
tatters

[youtu.be]

Ms. Hynde contributes vocals to this song on the group Moodswings album Moodfood.

Yeah, I know. I've got a copy. Tracked it down after first hearing it play over the closing credits of the film Single White Female.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 5, 2017 17:52

She also songs a cool Stray Cat Blues!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 5, 2017 20:43

[www.youtube.com]

This is an interesting clip of an all-star ensemble from Wembley '84. But the point is Hynde looks like the happiest person on earth, ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2017 21:03

While those first two albums with James Honeyman-Scott and Pete Farndon are undoubtedly superior to everything that came after imo,
I've always had a soft spot for the bittersweet Back on the Chain Gang. A lovely tune that's conceptually/lyrically similar to George Harrison's All Those Years Ago.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 00:36

I was fortunate enough to promote a show by the Pretenders when I was still in college - the original band - and the Pretenders 2 tour. They were a tight, note for not band, and James and esp Martin Chambers impressed me.

Fast forward to a few months ago where 35 years later I get to see The Pretenders (not just Chrissie and Martin and 3 new guys), in a club in Buffalo, on their day off between Stevie Nicks' shows.

35 years between shows and which was better? A toss up. The 1981 show was amazing in that it was based on just those first 2 records. The 2016 show had a lot of the first album, plus songs from the latest record and everything in-between.

Chrissie is actually better now than she was in 1981. More confident, outstanding at interacting with the audience and very obviously enjoying every minute. Martin was Martin - power and precision. The new guys, particularly the guitarist, were just as tight as the original guys. The guitarist had swagger, something that was missing in the original band.

So, for me, it's a toss up. The original was the original and the setlist was without a weak moment but the band, except Martin, were almost shy. The current band had more energy and confidence, and it came across, live. The only negative is we will never know just how good the original would have been if Pete and James had stayed off drugs and lived. Sad, sad, sad.

Date: March 6, 2017 00:50

Of the post original line ups I liked the guy who playe the Telecaster on "Middle of Road" etc, Robbie McIntosh a lot.
I saw her once, and it was a format they did with other artists too. A big artist brought out people they thoght had influenced them or they liked , and then they played together. And she brought out Kings of Leon before they were huge.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 6, 2017 17:41

I like her attitude, no doubt.
The first Pretenders albums are also very good efforts.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 6, 2017 17:43

Palace Revolution 2000
Of the post original line ups I liked the guy who playe the Telecaster on "Middle of Road" etc, Robbie McIntosh a lot.
I saw her once, and it was a format they did with other artists too. A big artist brought out people they thoght had influenced them or they liked , and then they played together. And she brought out Kings of Leon before they were huge.

She's got good taste. Robbie played with McCartney for awhile. U2 also brought out Kings Of Leon before they were big. Apparently a lot of these guys saw their talent early.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 6, 2017 19:42

Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders are some of the best music ever period .She totally kicks ass as a frontwoman .She sure can sing and she sure knows how to work a crowd .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home