Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: OT: The Eagles
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 5, 2017 05:44

Still blame them for the inflated prices. As soon as other bands saw people dumb enough to shell out triple digit $ to see the Eagles, they jacked prices and now it's insane. Thanks Eagles.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 5, 2017 06:06

Jah Paul
RollingFreak
mr_dja
Send It To me
Has any other band gone on like that after the death of a singer/songwriter member late in life?

I'd put the loss of Carl Wilson to the Beach Boys in a similar category.
Beach Boys are a tad different though cause people were always leaving and it was a lot of different singers. I could see them continuing without Carl, but I can't there ever being a lineup without EITHER Mike or Brian.

As a lifelong Beach Boys fan, I disagree a bit...after Brian stopped touring in the mid-'60s, Carl and Mike were the constants as lead vocalists for the next 30+ years (not to discount Al, who sang lead on fewer songs). When Carl passed away in 1998 (and Brian no longer touring with the band at all), that was kind of it for me. I've always enjoyed Brian's solo shows in the years since, but have never had any interest in Mike and Bruce's touring "Beach Boys." The 2012 reunion was great, but that was a one-time thing, and, to me, their swan song. Carl was the soul of the band, and is sorely missed to this day.

Much bigger fan of the Beach Boys than the Eagles any day. The Carl to Frey comparison -- in terms of their importance to the band I get it. But Carl was responsible for a very small % of Beach Boys material whereas Frey had a major hand in the Eagles'. But Carl's voice was predominant from '66 on. He is missed every day and of course it can never be the same.

I love seeing Brian and his band -- they are ace musicians and you'll hear a lot of deep cuts. I did see the Mike and Bruce band at an old Brooklyn theater last year. The show was fantastic and had a lot of deep cuts too. It's reflex to bash Mike but they've really upgraded what they do -- they have some great guys in that band including John Cowsill on the tubs who is a monster. Terrific harmonies and playing all around.

Oh yeah the Eagles -- I guess if you dig their music it's a good show, right? I can remember the Glen Miller Orchestra playing somewhere when I was in college in the 70s -- he was long dead! Then it was the 50s vocal groups with one old guy in a wheelchair surrounded by 20 and 30 year olds. Now it's like that with the 60s groups and soon the 70s ones. The Stones are actually one of the more authentic groups still active from that time.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 06:30

J.J.Flash
Still blame them for the inflated prices. As soon as other bands saw people dumb enough to shell out triple digit $ to see the Eagles, they jacked prices and now it's insane. Thanks Eagles.
The '94 Hell Freezes Over reunion was indeed the catalyst for the high ticket prices we've been subjected to over the past 25 years. As someone who only started going to shows in '97, I'm sure I've spent many thousands of dollars on tickets and fees over the past 20 years.

It's really due to the fact that classic rock's fan base is made up largely of baby boomers. As they've moved into and past middle age, they have more and more disposable income to spend, and rock bands are very eager to cater to their intense feelings of nostalgia.

Capitalism in action...the market will obviously bear those prices.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 5, 2017 08:07

Downloading music for free meant the only income stream for bands was live shows so instead of Record companies subsidising touring to promote album sales we got crazy ticket prices instead

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 5, 2017 08:08

jumpontopofmebaby
The Eagles are going to do a few more shows

From what I heard they will finish Dec 10th in Austin TX

MONEY TALKS

Unlike our boys who do it for the love of music and a deep seated respect for their fans. Hahahahahahaha

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: August 6, 2017 11:08

vertigojoe
jumpontopofmebaby
The Eagles are going to do a few more shows

From what I heard they will finish Dec 10th in Austin TX

MONEY TALKS

Unlike our boys who do it for the love of music and a deep seated respect for their fans. Hahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

OT: Eagles Stadium Tour
Date: November 21, 2017 20:34

Have some decent warm up acts. I will probably do once.

Re: OT: Eagles Stadium Tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 21, 2017 20:40

Maybe I'll go to the Boston show depending on pricing. I know I'm being rooked, but I'd like to say I saw the "Eagles" at least once.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 21, 2017 21:38

I saw the concert in Louisville, Kentucky on October 24, 2017. There was no warm up act. Instead, the Eagles played straight through for almost two and one half hours. Deacon Frye was well received and sounded quite like his dad, Glenn. While Vince Gill is classified as country, he certainly did not have that country twang in his voice when singing Lying Eyes. I thought they were excellent. They sounded exactly like the studio versions of the songs, if not better. As usual, Joe Walsh was terrific on the guitar. There were also a lot of special effects, especially towards the end of the show, when Joe was playing his songs.

Warm up act or not, you should really enjoy the Eagles.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 21, 2017 22:21

Info might be helpful... ;-)

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: November 21, 2017 22:51

HELL WILL NEVER THRAW NOW............................

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 21, 2017 23:07

bye bye johnny
Info might be helpful... ;-)

[www.billboard.com]

The article doesn't even mention Frey's son and Vince Gill filling in...apparently it's already common knowledge with a whole new official band photo and everything.

I guess for the masses in 2018, no one will really notice or care - they'll just be happy to hear the songs and be able to say they saw the "Eagles."

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 21, 2017 23:31

Yet another sad day as we take a further step onto the nostalgia train that is classic rock these days. Sad that bands just can't quit. Glad for those that want to see it, but its not the Eagles and I personally hope it makes no money.

"I'm terrible, blah, blah, blah" I get it. But with each new acceptance of this attitude it becomes the norm and its sad that the general public cares more about a name than bands having class and dignity these days.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: November 21, 2017 23:34

Tickets will be unbelievably expensive. I'm out.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 21, 2017 23:39

I miss those stadium shows where three or four different good bands played on one bill. Those were the fun days.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 22, 2017 00:02

Gram Parsons said: "The Eagles are a plastic dry fock".

Just quoting.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: November 22, 2017 00:13

The Sicilian
I miss those stadium shows where three or four different good bands played on one bill. Those were the fun days.

You're absolutely right about that. $6 - $8 dollar tickets and none of this reserved seating AND an open floor. I saw the Eagles on their Desperado tour like that. I was standing 15' from the band. It was absolutely phenomenal.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 22, 2017 00:59

Henley once stated without Frey, the Eagles were finished.He changed his mind.
No Frey and no Felder. Frey's kid singing his songs? Vince Gill too?
No thanks. This is not the Eagles. Not even close. A money grab for a guy who has
plenty of it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2017 01:10

flilflam
I saw the concert in Louisville, Kentucky on October 24, 2017. There was no warm up act. Instead, the Eagles played straight through for almost two and one half hours. Deacon Frye was well received and sounded quite like his dad, Glenn. While Vince Gill is classified as country, he certainly did not have that country twang in his voice when singing Lying Eyes. I thought they were excellent. They sounded exactly like the studio versions of the songs, if not better. As usual, Joe Walsh was terrific on the guitar. There were also a lot of special effects, especially towards the end of the show, when Joe was playing his songs.

Warm up act or not, you should really enjoy the Eagles.

Good to hear, and more power to them for carrying on the legacy.
As for sounding identical to the studio versions, that was my main complaint after having seen them about 10 years ago. All perfectly executed, yet there seemed to be some heart and soul lacking that usually comes with live performances. I know they were perfectionists in the studio, but in a live setting it would have been nice to see them loosen up a bit. I saw the Cars in the early-mid '80's, and it was the same scenario - identical live to the studio versions. All that said, I don't think I'll be attending any of the upcoming shows, but to those who are enjoy yourselves. thumbs up

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: November 22, 2017 01:20

I hope they gonna visit Europe next year. I like Vince Gill. He’s a great guitarist.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: November 22, 2017 01:54

Saw the Eagles open for the Stones in 1975. That was good enough for me not that I dislike them.Ron Wood and Joe Walsh were both doing their first shows with their new bands.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: November 22, 2017 02:56

Who's the promoter?
PT Barnum?

Date: November 22, 2017 03:30

mighty stork
Saw the Eagles open for the Stones in 1975. That was good enough for me not that I dislike them.Ron Wood and Joe Walsh were both doing their first shows with their new bands.

thats pretty cool though you saw them on the opening tours for their bands

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 22, 2017 03:35

Another Heritage Band. Like the Stones. Yawn.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 22, 2017 03:39

If the band enjoys it and the crowd enjoys it, who am I to say it's bad?

At least no one will have to sit through "You Belong to the City" or "The Heat is On" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 22, 2017 04:18

keefriffhard4life
mighty stork

thats pretty cool though you saw them on the opening tours for their bands

That's my point exactly. Overall what a great lineup.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: November 22, 2017 14:31

Send It To me
If the band enjoys it and the crowd enjoys it, who am I to say it's bad?

At least no one will have to sit through "You Belong to the City" or "The Heat is On" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I agree but I wouldn't have minded "Smuggler's Blues" though. Great song.

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac and Eagles
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 22, 2017 16:48

I am really shocked at some of you who hope that great bands, like the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, would just go somewhere and die. They have made some of the most memorable music in the history of rock and roll. What is so wrong for Deacon, Glenn's son, taking over for him, since he knows the songs and has genuine talent?
These great vintage bands continue to perform because they enjoy performing, and yes, like everyone else in the world, they want to earn more money.

Who do you think will replace these groups when they are dead and gone. Most of the pop groups I hear on the radio and TV have little talent and their songs are mainly chants with three, or four, chords, repeating over and over and over. I even wonder if the guitar sounds are made by a person or manufactured in a studio with sophisticated computer technology.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 22, 2017 18:09

Because IMO the bands out there these days that are manufactured and don't have much talent are as bad as the legends limping along to the finish line just cause they can. If you don't call out everyone, its hypocritical. I just think there's a way for bands to go out in style. The Eagles could EASILY tour as Henley/Walsh/Schmidt and I'd be fine with it. But that doesn't make as much money as touring as The Eagles now does it? So yeah, admittedly that pisses me off. Not to the point that I don't sleep at night or anything, but as a longtime music fan I feel its slightly disrespectful to their legacy. Your viewpoint would be more attractive if the concert going public weren't so stupid and needed a "name". You're right, its memorable music that should live on. Its sad that the bands have to diminish their brands and not tour under a name that is more honest because in order to see this memorable music, the general public needs to think they're seeing the real thing.

Again, thats their prerogative. But I think its a sad state of affairs. And I think the more bigger bands that do it, the more normal it seems and in 10 years everything will be a tribute band under the guise of the original band name. I'm happy I saw people when I did.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2017 19:27

flilflam
I am really shocked at some of you who hope that great bands, like the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, would just go somewhere and die. They have made some of the most memorable music in the history of rock and roll. What is so wrong for Deacon, Glenn's son, taking over for him, since he knows the songs and has genuine talent?
These great vintage bands continue to perform because they enjoy performing, and yes, like everyone else in the world, they want to earn more money.

Who do you think will replace these groups when they are dead and gone. Most of the pop groups I hear on the radio and TV have little talent and their songs are mainly chants with three, or four, chords, repeating over and over and over. I even wonder if the guitar sounds are made by a person or manufactured in a studio with sophisticated computer technology.

thumbs up

Not that I'm a huge fan of the band (but who can deny their greatest hits?), hoping the Eagles will record and release a new album to add to their long legacy.
With Vince Gill in the band now, maybe some of the new music would reflect some of that country rock twang of the band's earlier work.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home