Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
OT: Fleetwood Mac and Eagles
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 3, 2017 04:22

What the heck...I thought the Eagles were finally OVER?!!!
But looks like nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........how can they call themselves the 'Eagles'?!!! .eye rolling smiley

Eagles and Fleetwood Mac to Headline Two 2017 Classic Rock Festivals

Eagles and Fleetwood Mac

Eagles and Fleetwood Mac will headline a pair of new music festivals to take place on the east and west coasts this summer.

According to Billboard, the two veteran bands will top the New York- and Los Angeles-based Classic East and Classic West concerts. While no official word has been announced on these shows, Billboard reports that they will take place at Citi Field in New York and at Dodgers Stadium in California.

Reportedly, each festival will last two days, and the organizers hope this will be an annual event. According to Billboard, “A number of big-time music companies are involved in the blockbuster concert concept including? Azoff MSG Entertainment, Live Nation, the Oak View Group and CAA.”

More acts for these concerts will be announced later.

Organizers undoubtedly saw the money taken in last year by the two-weekend Desert Trip festival, which featured performances by some of classic-rock’s biggest names, including the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Roger Waters and the Who.

This will be the Eagles’ first live performance since the death of co-founder Glenn Frey in January 2016. Don Henley, the only original member left in the band these days, previously said the Eagles were breaking up following Frey’s death. But the Eagles have broken up before, and that didn’t stick either.

Billboard notes these are the only concerts on Fleetwood Mac’s schedule for this year. A new album by the band was supposedly put on hold while Stevie Nicks tended to her solo career. Lindsey Buckinghman and Christine McVie, in the meantime, had announced a duets album that featured performances by the group’s other two members, drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie.

Depending on the rest of the lineup, I'd like to go...I don't care about the so-called 'Eagles' at all thumbs down, but I'd love to see Fleetwood Mac again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 04:22 by Hairball.

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac and Eagles
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 3, 2017 04:41

Depending on who The Eagles consist of, this could be a big draw for many as it will likely be just as billed- couple of shows and thats it (again).

Henley: “At some point in the future, we might work our way around to that. You know, Glenn has a son who can sing and play quite well. And one of the only things that would make sense to me is if it were his son. With (singer-songwriter) Jackson (Browne), of course, we could do ‘Take It Easy’ and a couple other things, but the only way I would consider any kind of reunion, I think, would be with Glenn’s son, Deacon.”

Draw for me would be Fleetwood Mac as well.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 3, 2017 04:41

This would be an unimaginable torture for me. They are literally my two least favorite bands in the entire world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 04:41 by tatters.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 3, 2017 05:15

I can't even comment on the thought of this...I could write a very lengthy response...though I will say...

Henley and Irving Azzoff's love of money is above all.

They can't even resist it even with the passing of Glen Frey.

Henley said with Glen's passing...it is the end of the Eagles..
The Eagles were Glen's band...and the band will never play again...(though they played at The Grammy's weeks after his death as a final performance with
Jackson Browne).

Not even a year later...the smell of money has again put those feelings aside
and they are going to throw an acoustic guitar around the shoulders of Glen's son to justify this???? You got to be kidding.

How much money do these guys need?

Pecman

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 3, 2017 06:18

I want to preface by saying I'm a casual fan of the Eagles. Yes I like all their albums, and pretty much all the songs, but its a pretty new love. I'm not this diehard thats been obsessed with them for years. I never thought I liked them then I saw the documentary and gave them a chance and it turns out I was wrong.

So I'm coming as a fairly new fan saying: congrats Henley, you've found the new low. Listen, I love the guy, I think he's a phenomenal singer, an excellent songwriter. But he outright said "the band is over", as it should be. If either Frey or Henley died, thats it. They were the Eagles. He can do whatever he wants, I'm not really mad. Just think its pretty cheap that there's really no reason to continue. You have all the money in the world and your brother and co-leader of the band is gone. When is truly enough to say that a band is over? Then again, I'm sure this stupid country will eat this right up, so who are the real idiots.

Date: March 3, 2017 06:28

I like quite a few Eagles tunes - Take it to the Limit probably my favorite. Throughout the '70's they were constantly on the radio, and some of those tunes are like time capsules when I hear them now.
But....my wife and I saw them live about 10 years ago, and it was as sterile and boring as you could imagine. Now without Frey, can't imagine how diluted it will all be. Deacon Frey? Whatever............

Date: March 3, 2017 06:39

Gotta love Wikipedia keeping these handy:

-In March 2016, following the death of Frey and a tribute performance at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards, Henley told the BBC that the performance was a "final farewell".[4] In an interview with Rolling Stone on June 10, 2016, Henley confirmed the dissolution of the band.[5]

-At the 58th Annual Grammy Awards in February, the Eagles, joined by Leadon, touring guitarist Steuart Smith, and co-writer Jackson Browne, performed "Take It Easy" in honor of Frey.[83] On March 6, 2016, in an interview with BBC News, Henley described the Grammy tribute as the band's final farewell and said "I don't think you'll see us performing again."[4]

I am curious though, you think they bring back Don Felder to offset any possible backlash they get from continuing without Frey? I doubt it, mainly cause it was Frey that hated him so I'm sure Henley will say "Glenn would want us to keep this music alive" but "not with Felder, who was really awful to us and wouldn't be approved by Glenn". But makes you think. Would at least lend a bit more legitimacy to it and you can't really go wrong with Felder and Walsh back together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 06:42 by RollingFreak.

Date: March 3, 2017 06:55

bet this is not true

Date: March 3, 2017 06:59

keefriffhard4life
bet this is not true

I would tend to agree and the first thing I thought when I saw it this afternoon was it sounds like classic BS "journalism". But it was reported by Billboard, who are fairly reliable and give it legs. I'd say its then been widely reported since, but again mainly just going off that article so that hardly means much. But Billboard and the fact that they haven't shut it down by the end of the day does seem odd... It sounds unbelievable but who the hell knows these days.

Date: March 3, 2017 07:18

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
bet this is not true

I would tend to agree and the first thing I thought when I saw it this afternoon was it sounds like classic BS "journalism". But it was reported by Billboard, who are fairly reliable and give it legs. I'd say its then been widely reported since, but again mainly just going off that article so that hardly means much. But Billboard and the fact that they haven't shut it down by the end of the day does seem odd... It sounds unbelievable but who the hell knows these days.

if dates were listed for the event it would be easier to tell as some of the eagles have tour dates as solo artists until july on this year

Date: March 3, 2017 07:22

From the L.A. Times:

The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac - Classic West, East festivals in July

"...a spokesman for veteran superstar manager Irving Azoff said Thursday that “we are not prepared to release anything officially — this caught us by surprise,” in reference to Billboard’s initial report of the shows".

Followed by:

"Multiple sources have confirmed to The Times that the two shows will indeed take place".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 07:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 3, 2017 09:35

Bad idea. Don Henley and Joe Walsh should move on. They both have good solo careers. As for Deacon Frey, he should establish himself and pay his dues, not live off his father's memory. I recall seeing a YouTube clip of Deacon singing "Hotel California" when he was still a teenager. Unless he's improved since then, he's not a very good singer.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 3, 2017 13:56

Ah the smell of money ,this is right out of the lyrics of Smugglers blues .I bet this happens because after saying how much was made out of the desert trip concerts they cannot resist saying what about us we want some of the money .It's mans way to be greedy .

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 3, 2017 15:56

to quote an Eagles song.. "Take it to the Limit"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 3, 2017 16:26

Interesting to see people bashing these bands.

- Eagles I definitely 'like' ... not 'love'.
- I can see why some might find them boring but they definitely have a nice catalog of good songs: The Long Run, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Heartache Tonight, can't think of others right now, except tunes some probably find boring (new kid, one of these nights, etc.)
- How do you not love Joe Walsh songs!? Funk 49, Rocky Mountain, Life's Been Good! All great!
- Yeah they said they were finished after Glen's death, so what? People say a lot of things in times of grief, does that really mean they must stick to it the rest of their lives? Wow ... and oh yeah, the Stones never did anything for money.

- Fleetwood Mac, love them! There's too many great songs, I don't know where to start ... and what about TUSK, gotta love that beat!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 3, 2017 16:28

I liked the Eagles for about a minute, when Joe Walsh joined and turned those lame country-rock posers into a pretty good rock n roll band. I really liked the Hotel California album when it was fresh, but, alas, it got over played, so I am back to having no use for The Eagles. As for Fleetwood Mac, as long as Lindsey Buckingham is involved, I'm in! One of my all-time favorite performers. Boy can rip up a guitar! His solo work is brilliant and quirky. I can put ip with Stevie as long as LB is around. I hope Christine McVie will be involved. Wonderful vocalist, she rounds off the edges nicely.

"F@ck The Eagles, got any Creedence?"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 3, 2017 16:41

2029 news - Mick Jagger and his Rolling Stones featuring Marlon Richards on guitar to play Antarctica for the first time. "She So Cold" tour was announced from Santa's sled. Charlie looked bored.

And whatever happened to the sons of Beatles tour?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 3, 2017 16:42

It's kind of a shame but the audience really dictates this.
Henley could put together a great backing band with a set list of his own songs, a few Eagles favorites and whatever country/western or other favorites of his ... but would probably just fill small theaters.
But put the Eagles name on it and he's raking in big bucks.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 3, 2017 17:46

wonderboy
It's kind of a shame but the audience really dictates this.
Henley could put together a great backing band with a set list of his own songs, a few Eagles favorites and whatever country/western or other favorites of his ... but would probably just fill small theaters.
But put the Eagles name on it and he's raking in big bucks.

Exactly

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 3, 2017 18:07

You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave.

Date: March 3, 2017 18:21

Wondering whether or not these two bands were a consideration for Desert Trip 2 (if there is one)?
Or maybe they'll be at both? No word on the lineup for DT 2, but seems Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles would have been a big draw.
If not, maybe this East/West festival will trump DT 2 assuming there is one.

Date: March 3, 2017 18:50

LeonidP
- Yeah they said they were finished after Glen's death, so what? People say a lot of things in times of grief, does that really mean they must stick to it the rest of their lives? Wow ... and oh yeah, the Stones never did anything for money.

Its different. The Stones do a whole bunch of shit for money. I'm not happy about some of it but it is what it is. I'm not gonna begrudge these guys for making money. What it comes down to is most of these bands are two prominent figures. The Who was 4 people, no question, but I could get how people accept it with just Roger and Pete. They are the faces of the band. The Stones ARE Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Glorify Charlie all you want, I love him as much as you all do, but he wouldn't make a lick of change in ticket sales for the most part. Its Mick and Keith. Led Zeppelin, when you boil it down, is Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Aerosmith is Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. Guns N Roses is Axl and Slash. Put whoever else you want in those bands, as long as those two main guys are there people will probably go.

The Eagles were Don Henley and Glenn Frey. There's no question. Yes Don is more of the voice, but Glenn was the out and out frontman on stage. They can do whatever they want with the band, but I and obviously many others think its weird to continue without him. There's a reek of desperation to it. They could tour under their own names, they choose not to. Its their call, but it is pretty different than just doing things for money. This is probably the biggest band thats gonna be going out without a key frontman face and passing it off as the band. Its just interesting to think about. Would you REALLY continue without Don Henley? Many would genuinely ask the same about Glenn. But again, if people buy into it, hard to fault those guys.

Also, there's no way they are doing this AND Desert Trip 2. Desert Trip 2 will probably be a similar list of this sized acts. I doubt this thing "beats" it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 18:54 by RollingFreak.

Date: March 3, 2017 19:18

RollingFreak
Also, there's no way they are doing this AND Desert Trip 2. Desert Trip 2 will probably be a similar list of this sized acts. I doubt this thing "beats" it.

Don't know why you sound so sure in yourself regarding this? IMO there is indeed a way they can do both (why not?), but if not there's also the possibility East/West Coast will be better.
I wasn't talking popularity or money to be made, just what my personal preferences would be and that would depend on what the lineups are.
If for example Desert Trip 2 lineup includes U2 and/or the Police (thumbs down ), I'd be much happier with seeing Fleetwood Mac again any day.
Until we know the lineups of both, it's hard to tell which one 'beats' the other, and then it will be a matter of opinion unless you're talking about popularity and/or money to be made.

Date: March 3, 2017 19:28

There's no way Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles are going to do both of these festivals and people will still want to come. They're gonna fill a California stadium and then 4 months later do the exact same thing in an even bigger field? I'm fairly confident they won't. If they do, feel free to call me back out about it when it happens and I'll step up for a humiliation. But IMO this solidifies they aren't a part of it. There's literally no reason for them be on both. Being on either would cancel the other out.

And yes, maybe East/West will trump DT2 for you, but I just meant in general I'd expect Desert Trip 2 to have comparably big acts.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 3, 2017 19:37

The possibility of U2, the Police, the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac all at Desert Trip??

I think some people on IORR would end up in a mental asylum.

Date: March 3, 2017 19:42

You could be right RollingFreak!
But then again, you could be wrong.

If they're only playing two East/West shows, and then also Desert Trip 2 (x 2), that's only four shows total. The so called 'Eagles' could probably sell out an entire arena tour right now, and Fleetwood Mac have already proven they still can without a doubt. So of they're only to play four shows across East West and Desert Trip, the draw would still be HUGE and one wouldn't cancel out the other. There's many bands that headline more than one festival within a similar time frame, and one never seems to cancel out the other.

keefriff99
The possibility of U2, the Police, the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac all at Desert Trip??

I think some people on IORR would end up in a mental asylum.

True! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 19:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 3, 2017 20:59

As recently as November, Henley said the band was done, admonishing himself for even mentioning the possibility of Frey's son joining in...

“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band,” Henley tells the Washington Post. “It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”

On his previous comments about Deacon Frey joining the band...

“It really pissed me off, frankly, because I hadn’t talked to the kid about it or his mother,” Henley added. “So, it’s just another lesson in keeping my mouth shut.”

Read More: Eagles Aren't Reuniting with Glenn Frey's Son, Don Henley Confirms
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

...of course, this was in November.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: March 3, 2017 21:45

Would love to see the Mac, the last time was in 90s.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 3, 2017 22:20

Zzzzzzzz.

Date: March 4, 2017 00:07

babyblue
Would love to see the Mac, the last time was in 90s.

They're still great. I'd personally try and catch them in an arena. They'll definitely tour on their own for this and I saw them on the last tour where Christine came back and they were excellent. Say what you want about them, but they deliver a great show if you like their music. Particularly those 80s songs from Tango are performed so much better live than on the album. But yeah, I definitely think an arena is a better setting to see them if you haven't in awhile.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home