Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Rain Fall Down!!!!
Posted by: DCChris ()
Date: September 6, 2005 10:41

...absolut cool, I love it!

Re: Rain Fall Down!!!!
Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: September 6, 2005 11:06

me too!!!!

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: September 6, 2005 13:05

The only one what have me "indiferent".... I love all the rest... but this one.. umm... I´ve just listen the cd 3 times... so, we will see... probably I´ll end in love of this one too...

Posted by: DCChris ()
Date: September 6, 2005 15:12

I heard it 158 x...I still love it...I love it even more...
very cool...easy Riff...good lyrics...Bass & Drums...Stones style...perfect
fantastic loop....
RAIN FALL DOWN

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: September 6, 2005 16:28

Great song !!

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: September 6, 2005 16:42

I agree, would be a hit single - the song I skipped back to after listening to the whole record for the 1st time

Posted by: HaLe ()
Date: September 6, 2005 17:01

Best song on the album!

Posted by: pafult01 ()
Date: September 6, 2005 17:15

great song ... very modern sounding but still sounds like the Stones

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: September 6, 2005 17:15

Agreed......... it is the Miss You/Emotional Rescue single many have been waiting for!

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: September 6, 2005 18:17

On only two hearings of the album so far, I'd say it might be the best track on the album (along with Back Of My Hand). Reminds me vaguely of Hey Negrita, Hot Stuff, Dance & Sex Drive but is better than all of them.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 6, 2005 18:20

it's in the top 5 songs on the album for me....love it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 7, 2005 17:04

This is the first track that has "clicked in" for me. I can't resist the funk! Some real good creative lyric writing on Mick's part because the thought of him hanging out with some ghetto hooker is totally ludicrous. It could be that this is some vividly remembered experience he had circa 1964. The clue: "The phone kept on ringing". Phones don't keep on ringing anymore. They haven't for a very long time. The chick had no answering machine.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: September 7, 2005 17:51

I really like this tune as well! Nice groove!

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 7, 2005 20:38

That's a smart remark, Tatters. Hummm on my way to some far-fetched interpretation of Rain.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 7, 2005 20:40

What do you call the sound that phones make nowadays? In German the word is still the same...Btw, we don't have an answering machine and that's quite common in Europe for private homes, I think.

Edit: Yeah, Rain Fall Down - it's a cool song! I absolutely like it!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-07 20:41 by Lorenz.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 7, 2005 20:41

Maybe she turned off the machine because Mick was there, LOL

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: heyheymymyitb ()
Date: September 7, 2005 20:47

Hmm.. I've gotta say this is among my least 3 favorite tracks along side This Place is Empty and Streets of Love.

It's a not a terrible song in my view, but not something I like all that much.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: September 7, 2005 20:52

I love most of the album, always listening to it while work as a postman.

Me personally, I d love to hear first of all LAUGH, I NEARLY DIED, then also LOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN and of course SWEET NEOCON down in southamerica this tour!

Regards, y hasta bastante pronto!

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 8, 2005 01:15

This is a nice song, i just think it is badly placed on the album. It should follow LWTCDI. My main gripe with this album is the clash of sounds. IWTL is rough and raw rock, then it is followed by the clean, echo based RFD.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 8, 2005 02:55

pretty cool tune, but not in my top 5 or so on ABB...but its definitely one that may grow on me.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 8, 2005 06:17

a classic.

john scialfa

Date: September 8, 2005 08:22

tatters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the first track that has "clicked in" for
> me. I can't resist the funk! Some real good
> creative lyric writing on Mick's part because the
> thought of him hanging out with some ghetto hooker
> is totally ludicrous. It could be that this is
> some vividly remembered experience he had circa
> 1964. The clue: "The phone kept on ringing".
> Phones don't keep on ringing anymore. They haven't
> for a very long time. The chick had no answering
> machine.

I've got a good idea for the video, too. They could have a guy who looks like Mick at age 21 walking through a ghetto on a rainy day, on his way to see this fat old hooker. You watch this and think, "That kind of looks like the young Mick". He's dressed like the young Mick, and you might see some old cars, but then, you WOULD see old cars in the ghetto, right? Point is, you don't see anything that leads you to believe it's not 2005 and this isn't just some kid who looks like the young Mick. Well, maybe there could be one fast clue, he could walk past a movie marquee and you see "GOLDFINGER" for a split second or something. So fast it wouldn't even register on a first viewing. He gets to her place and they make out. He "turns on her TV", an old black and white Magnavox, but then, it's the ghetto, so she's got an old TV, so what? Or maybe she's got a transvestite lover hanging around and that's what Mick "turns on". But it's only at the very end of the video when the line "The phone kept ringing" is repeated over and over that the camera pans over to this old rotary phone sitting on the nightstand. That's when you realize who the kid is and when this is all taking place. Not bad, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-08 08:27 by tatters.

Date: September 8, 2005 10:27

They should have given us Rain Fall Down as Single, instead Streets of Love (here in Germany).

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 8, 2005 15:25

Hey tatters:

I just assumed that "kept ringing" meant that they ignored a series of phone calls while they were at it...

Don't have the lyrics handy, but I caught something about a chick on tabloid TV who got "40,000 quid." Just caught my ear as a vivid detail.

I think the quality of the various "ABB" tracks is highly erratic, but "Rain Fell Down" and "It Won't Take Long" are two that are growing on me...

Date: September 8, 2005 17:00

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
> Hey tatters:
>
> I just assumed that "kept ringing" meant that they
> ignored a series of phone calls while they were at
> it...
>
> Don't have the lyrics handy, but I caught
> something about a chick on tabloid TV who got
> "40,000 quid." Just caught my ear as a vivid
> detail.
>
> I think the quality of the various "ABB" tracks is
> highly erratic, but "Rain Fell Down" and "It Won't
> Take Long" are two that are growing on me...

>

The line goes:

"I turned on her TV. It was all the usual crap, all the usual sleaze. For 10,000 quid, some bimbo spilled the beans."

I think what Mick is saying is that if you turned on the TV news in 1964 you got pretty much the same shit you get when you turn it on in 2005. It's like in that Crocodile Hunter movie when the guy sees a television and says "Oh yeah, I saw one of these 30 years ago" and he turns it on and sees I Love Lucy and he says "Yup, that's what I saw!"

So I'm wondering what the thing is that Mick sees when he turns on the TV. Wasn't there some big sex scandel involving a British politicain in 1963? Maybe that's what he saw, a news report about that. Also, he says "quid", as in British pounds, so it must have been about something that happened in the UK.

I like how that repetitive guitar pattern simulates the ringing phone.

Another track that's growing on me is Let Me Down Slow. Nice self-pitying lyric. Mick asking that his lovers (and critics) not be too hard on him. He wants to continue to "stretch out in the afterglow", something he's already been doing since Goats Head Soup.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-08 17:16 by tatters.

Date: September 8, 2005 19:12

tatters Wrote:
>
> So I'm wondering what the thing is that Mick sees
> when he turns on the TV. Wasn't there some big sex
> scandel involving a British politicain in 1963?
> Maybe that's what he saw, a news report about
> that. Also, he says "quid", as in British pounds,
> so it must have been about something that happened
> in the UK.
>
>

The Profumo Affair. That's what I was thinking of. The "British Politician Sex" that Billy Joel refers to in his idiotic "We Didn't Start The Fire". Anyone know anything about that? Did some bimbo get paid 10,000 quid to "spill the beans"?

Date: September 8, 2005 19:29

Well, I Googled "Profumo Affair" and I AM 100% CORRECT IN MY INTERPRETATION OF WHAT THIS SONG IS ABOUT!!!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

The bimbo is Christine Keeler and she DID sell her story to the Express newspaper. The story broke in 1962, so Mick is NINETEEN during the events he describes in the song! That changes my video. The movie marquee will have to say "007 IN DR. NO".

One thing about the ghetto. It ain't goin' nowhere. It was there in '62 and it's there now and it will be there when you and I and Mick are long gone. That's also what the song is about.

You listen to your friend tatters from now on, hear? He understands the creative mind.

Date: September 8, 2005 20:45

And here's another clue for you all:

"everybody's jazzed"

In '62, you bet they were. The British blues boom came about as a result of everybody, including Mick, Keith, and Brian, who were all living together at the time, in a "filty block of flats" with "trash on the floor", being sick to death of, and totally fed up with, traditional jazz.

So .... who's making all the calls that keep the phone ringing? Maybe it's Keith or Brian, tryin' to make a date with the same hooker. Or just having the piss.

You've got it in for me
Right from the start
(repeat to fade)

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 8, 2005 21:04

Great job Tatters! I buy it!

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: September 8, 2005 21:10

God I gotta go find my booklet. I lent it before I got the chance for a proper read.

But it's a nice analysis of you people.

It's even nicer that Mick is adapting a mood of nostalgia, other than for reasons of exploiting it (you know what I mean). It's very unusual for him.

Blunt lyrics à la "she had me coming, she couldn't see a thing, it was all over her" are also very appealing, and most of all characteristic, but this is nice for a change and seems to be really good writing.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home