Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Dave Mason's Traffic Jam at the Liverpool Philharmonic. Tuesday 28th February, 2017.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 1, 2017 11:19

Hello,

This was my first time seeing DM but I had a good feeling about the show, not least because of the reasonable ticket price (£38), but moreover because of his legacy. For once I was spot-on, hah-hah!

He and his three pals (drums, guitar and keyboards who also supplied the bass a la Manzarek) delighted us with two sets of about 45 minutes each. The only downer was the turn-out: the 1700 seat venue was hardly even one-quarter full. Although this was only Dave's second ever solo tour, he didn't let any disappointment show...if he indeed felt any!

He has played with just about any of the old guard and he told a few (short) tales without ever bigging himself up and it was clear that he can still solo and gets a buzz from playing live. If you get the chance then I recommend!

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Dave Mason's Traffic Jam at the Liverpool Philharmonic. Tuesday 28th February, 2017.
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 1, 2017 16:21

What a great setlist Si. Really gutted as I have tickets for the show tonight at St. Alban's but the venue just phoned me to say it has been cancelled. Might see if the London show is still on tomorrow.

Re: O/T Dave Mason's Traffic Jam at the Liverpool Philharmonic. Tuesday 28th February, 2017.
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 1, 2017 17:59

Saw this last year or the year before (he's been doing this tour for years now, although I'm not upset about that). Its a really good show if you're a Traffic fan. Because of Dave's sort of in and out presence there its cool to see him really embrace that material. My only quibble, and its actually not a quibble at all because I love it, is the setlist is so weird for him to do. You'd think he'd do the songs he sang, as between the few albums he's on its not many. But he plays songs he had nothing to do with or recorded, like Low Spark and Medicated Goo, which I love but just seems very odd. Particularly over actual songs he wrote and sang while in that band like Just For You and stuff. Very strange, but the ones he plays are my favorite so I'm not complaining. And he still plays a mean guitar. Seeing him destroy Dear Mr. Fantasy, so effortlessly too, up close in a small venue was way more memorable than I expected it to be.

Date: March 1, 2017 18:21

RollingFreak
Saw this last year or the year before (he's been doing this tour for years now, although I'm not upset about that). Its a really good show if you're a Traffic fan. Because of Dave's sort of in and out presence there its cool to see him really embrace that material. My only quibble, and its actually not a quibble at all because I love it, is the setlist is so weird for him to do. You'd think he'd do the songs he sang, as between the few albums he's on its not many. But he plays songs he had nothing to do with or recorded, like Low Spark and Medicated Goo, which I love but just seems very odd. Particularly over actual songs he wrote and sang while in that band like Just For You and stuff. Very strange, but the ones he plays are my favorite so I'm not complaining. And he still plays a mean guitar. Seeing him destroy Dear Mr. Fantasy, so effortlessly too, up close in a small venue was way more memorable than I expected it to be.

Really surprised to see he doesn't do You Can All Join In which was something of a hit here in the UK.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 1, 2017 19:17

Hi Mike,

Really sorry to hear about tonight: Dave said that he had a little cold coming on but it didn't affect his singing in any way. The upside of sparse attendance might allow you to get a great seat or two at Albert's place...I hope!

Hi RF,

Dave hasn't been over to the UK since 1875 I think, so this outing is very welcome indeed, hah-hah! You're right, he is a terrific player still...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 2, 2017 07:49

What! No "All Join In"? Shameful!!!

.....just kidding, I've seen Dave a number of times and he never disappoints!

Date: March 2, 2017 13:00

SimonN
Hi Mike,

Really sorry to hear about tonight: Dave said that he had a little cold coming on but it didn't affect his singing in any way. The upside of sparse attendance might allow you to get a great seat or two at Albert's place...I hope!

Hi RF,

Dave hasn't been over to the UK since 1875 I think, so this outing is very welcome indeed, hah-hah! You're right, he is a terrific player still...

Cheers,

Simon.

I saw him on that 1875 tour actually. He played Ye Olde Hammersmythe Tavern and a great show it was too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home