Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: O/T: What Do We Think of the Grateful Dead?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 3, 2017 19:25

I bought the Blues For Allah album when I was 14 or 15 yrs. old based on the cool cover art alone.
Played it probably once or twice at the time and just couldn't relate to any of it - I still find it bewildering, but the cover is still cool! thumbs up

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 3, 2017 20:18

keefriffhard4life
NICOS
Because of the Stones relation and maybe the name "Grateful Dead" I bought Workingman's Dead and Wake of the Flood back in the early 70's great records.......but never bought any other records.............saw a lot live jamming on YouTube but for me they sound a bit the same.......

What is considered as the best GD record ?

workingmans dead, american beauty, blues for allah and wake of the flood are usually named as the bands best

All excellent and would add Aoxomoxoa and From the Mars Hotel.

And from Garcia, his first release named "Garcia". GD played many of these in concert:

1. Deal
2. Bird Song
3. Sugaree
4. Loser
5. Late for Supper
6. Spidergawd
7. Eep Hour
8. To Lay Me Down
9. An Odd Little Place
10. The Wheel

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 3, 2017 21:44

To me, it's very Western United States, despite widespread popularity, it's easy to relate to in that way.

Catch the Detroit Lightning
Out of Santa Fe
Great Northern out of Cheyenne
From sea to shining sea

Read more: Grateful Dead - Jack Straw Lyrics | MetroLyrics

[www.youtube.com]

Jack Straw, Playing in the band are more decent songs.

Rolling Stones are my favorite but clearly, they have areas in the US where they are much more popular than others, I see the Dead as that way, more popular out west.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 3, 2017 21:51

Very popular on the eastern seaboard also

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 3, 2017 22:07

Dead music is pretty cool if you're in the mood for it...or under some sort of influence. Saw them in NJ at Giants Stadium shortly before Jerry passed. They were very good. Having said that, I don't think I've actually chosen to listen to them in about 20 years...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: March 3, 2017 22:26

I am from Argentina and so very far away from you can name the Dead's culture, so I can only talk about their music which is the most important. What I can say is that Jerry Garcia was a great and prolific songwriter and a great guitar player also but I feel a lack of energy in their music. I like mainly the Jerry Garcia songs but after 4 or 5 songs I need to change and listen to another band.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 3, 2017 22:27

Lame as usual

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: March 5, 2017 01:00

Just great band and I've been a fan for 31 years now. Lots of great live bootlegs and official albums. Even the post GD era bands are pretty good. Of course you can't replace Jerry or PigPen but that's not obviously the rest of the band's fault. Unfortunately I never saw them live with Jerry because they very seldom visited Europe but a big thank to the band for letting people record the shows and every now and then they themselves release the shows officially.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 5, 2017 08:08

HMS
Never heard a single Dead-song in my life - and that´s true.
I only know them as the backing band on Dylan´s live-album "Dylan & The Dead", which is one hell of a lousy live album.

Ain't that the truth. That album is universally panned by both Dead and Dylan fans. If that's the case, who's gonna like it?

T@3

Posted by: DeadHead4Ever ()
Date: March 5, 2017 09:01

My user name says it all.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 5, 2017 15:05

They have some songs I really like but overall I find them kind of boring

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 5, 2017 15:29

TeaAtThree
HMS
Never heard a single Dead-song in my life - and that´s true.
I only know them as the backing band on Dylan´s live-album "Dylan & The Dead", which is one hell of a lousy live album.

Ain't that the truth. That album is universally panned by both Dead and Dylan fans. If that's the case, who's gonna like it?

T@3

Great version of a Slow Train Running

Posted by: Kent ()
Date: March 5, 2017 20:16

Hello,

I got in to the Grateful Dead about two years ago and now they are one of my favourite bands (Stones is still no 1). I saw Dead & Company four times last year and will see them again two times this year.

For the people that have seen the band since the beginning, what do you think about dead & company compared to the "real" Grateful Dead?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 5, 2017 21:24

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 5, 2017 22:35

I had the pleasure for seeing The Grateful Dead with the late Jerry Garcia in a good concert at the Omni in Atlanta in 1989. It was my longest concert until now, they played for more than 4 hours.

I wish, The Rolling Stones would be so long on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-05 23:42 by Ladykiller.

Date: March 6, 2017 00:34

Ladykiller
I had the pleasure for seeing The Grateful Dead with the late Jerry Garcia in a good concert at the Omni in Atlanta in 1989. It was my longest concert until now, they played for more than 4 hours.

Sorry, but 4 hours for a standard GD event in 1989? Didn't happen but I'm sure you had a good time.......>grinning smiley<

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 6, 2017 00:50

Maindefender
Ladykiller

Sorry, but 4 hours for a standard GD event in 1989? Didn't happen but I'm sure you had a good time.......>grinning smiley<

Looking at my Deadbase, they played the Omni on 3/27/89 and 3/28/89. 2 sets both nights but I doubt it was a 4 hour show, unless it was a loooong intermission.smoking smiley

Date: March 6, 2017 02:27

2000 LYFH
Maindefender
Ladykiller

Looking at my Deadbase, they played the Omni on 3/27/89 and 3/28/89. 2 sets both nights but I doubt it was a 4 hour show, unless it was a loooong intermission.smoking smiley

3/27/89: 151 minutes
3/28/89: 163 minutes

Date: March 6, 2017 02:48

the deads shows in the late 80's were usually about 3 hours plus there was a break

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 6, 2017 02:59

Dead are my second favorite band after the Stones, although I live in Colorado now I am from the east coast and they have a huge following out that way. Just look at the history of where they have toured and they have always done just as many if not more shows in the east.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 03:01

I saw them the night before seeing the Stones in 1981. Dead at night, then the Stones the next afternoon.

I knew someone in the Grateful Dead's management, who set myself and 3 friends up with great seats, steps away from Jerry.

I loved much of the Europe 72 live album, and still do. I was part of my soundtrack in the mid to late 70s.

But the Dead absolutely sucked live by that time. Out of tune throughout, instrumentally and vocally. Jerry Garcia was horrible. I could not believe how bad they were. HUGE disappointment. We left while the band was stretching out some slow, off-key 'jam' that was pure noodling. The Deadheads seemed to not notice, dancing wildly fast to even the slowest of tunes...inspired by the drugs, not the music.

Thankfully the next morning we were at Rich Stadium (as it was then called) with 80,000 Stones fans. Totally different vibe. Thorogood and The Stones were both loose, but all playing in the correct key, playing with energy....even Journey, who was also on the bill, could at least play...unlike Garcia and Co.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 6, 2017 03:25

There is a satellite radio station that plays nothing but live shows. Can't remember the name. When Jerry Garcia passed, I had my stereo on for four days. Love Terrapin Station.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 6, 2017 03:29

The band has been a waste of time in the history of rock and roll

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 6, 2017 06:37

2000 LYFH

What happens when you gotta take a piss? I don't see any toilets. Even if you left, it would probably impossible to get back.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 6, 2017 07:05

I'd be more worried about havin' ta do a number 2 ....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: March 6, 2017 07:24

Rockman
I'd be more worried about havin' ta do a number 2 ....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Come on, I'm eating Hummus now.

Date: March 6, 2017 07:29

Well Sicilian ... I was just about ta sip some lemon cordial .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 6, 2017 07:38

So there's our dilemma, all that's left is the music and the chicks.

Date: March 6, 2017 08:00

ROCKMAN

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 6, 2017 17:03

Some of the studio songs are good.

I like Uncle John's Band, Box of Rain.....good vocal harmonies.

I'm more of a "rock" fan though, except for my second favorite band of all time, The Band, which composed such authentic, Americana type music at a time when heavier rock music ruled the roost.

I still think Robbie Robertson's guitar sound on "Wheel's on Fire" on the Academy of Music live CD is the closest to guitar nirvana I have heard to date.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home